[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Just now, Provost said:

Every pre-season…

”We won, plan the parade!”

”We lost, these games don’t mean anything!”

I think it's more "We lost, that doesn't prove anything." Their veteran presence was the obvious difference.

8 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

1. Hughes 

2. Hronek 

3. Soucy 

4. Cole 

5. Myers 

6. Brisebois 

7. Wolanin 

8. Irwin 

9. Hirose 

Johansson, McWard, Woo, Juulsen, and Rathbone are on the outside looking in for me...  thoughts?

Sure. Here goes nothin' 😉

1. Hughes

2. Hronek

3. Cole

4. Myers

5. Soucy

6. Irwin

7. Hirose

8. Brisebois

9. Wolanin

Soucy and Wolanin drop based on early impressions this camp.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

It is expected that teams lose on the road, during pre season.

All the teams do this, to rev up the home fans.

That said this line up was doomed from the beginning.

Strange choice by the coach.

It is hard to tell how someone competes, if it isn't an actual competition.

• Like 2

Just now, Jack Gordon said:

Sure. Here goes nothin' 😉

1. Hughes

2. Hronek

3. Cole

4. Myers

5. Soucy

6. Irwin

7. Hirose

8. Brisebois

9. Wolanin

Soucy and Wolanin drop based on early impressions this camp.

wouldn’t be surprised to see Brisebois paired with Myers to start game 1 

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I think it's more "We lost, that doesn't prove anything." Their veteran presence was the obvious difference.

You literally just re-worded…

… pretty redundant.

Just now, Gurn said:

It is expected that teams lose on the road, during pre season.

All the teams do this, to rev up the home fans.

That said this line up was doomed from the beginning.

Strange choice by the coach.

It is hard to tell how someone competes, if it isn't an actual competition.

True, but also becomes easier to tell how someone will lead by example when the odds are stacked against them. The “leaders” on this team tonight become the support players on a better club, which in turn makes the entire NHL team better as a whole. 
That’s the agenda.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Say what you will about NHL being new age, skills, finesse, but we were too small and weak out there, and it killed confidence. We had nobody who would even look at Klapka.

When we lose 10-0, we should at least win a fight or two.

There’s no good reason any team should lose 10-0 it was boys against men. Preseason for rookies is a simulation of a call up. And how they Fit or keep up with the regulars. Last preseason was a total failure tonites game eclipsed any game last year. I don’t understand why they went with so many. With as many new players that will be in the lineup I fail to understand why they frittered a game away with some players they already know aren’t going to make the cut. Get the team together so their ready. Evaluation for these young guys shouldn’t take away from getting the “real” team ready 

• Like 2

Just now, Chon derry said:

There’s no good reason any team should lose 10-0 it was boys against men. Preseason for rookies is a simulation of a call up. And how they Fit or keep up with the regulars. Last preseason was a total failure tonites game eclipsed any game last year. I don’t understand why they went with so many. With as many new players that will be in the lineup I fail to understand why they frittered a game away with some players they already know aren’t going to make the cut. Get the team together so their ready. Evaluation for these young guys shouldn’t take away from getting the “real” team ready 

My pregame score prediction was Flames 12, Abby 2

Close, but no cigar

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CanucksCritic said:

This team needs to get their shit together and actually have a solid start. If we miss the playoffs, we’re losing Pettersson.

Aside from wanting to avoid this Debbie Downer altogether - if the chosen name is any indication of their approach here - the avatar is awful. Can someone explain how to ignore? As a little old bitty still stuck in the tub - I need help with these techno gadgets and the rules 

• Haha 2

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

Aside from wanting to avoid this Debbie Downer altogether - if the chosen name is any indication of their approach here - the avatar is awful. Can someone explain how to ignore? As a little old bitty still stuck in the tub - I need help with these techno gadgets and the rules 

Hover over their username and click ignore

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

True, but also becomes easier to tell how someone will lead by example when the odds are stacked against them. The “leaders” on this team tonight become the support players on a better club, which in turn makes the entire NHL team better as a whole. 
That’s the agenda.

Huge risk to that.

A loss like that can kill careers.

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Can't figure out how to do it on a tablet but on a computer hover your mouse over their name (do not click) till their profile pops up and click ignore on the bottom right.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Can't figure out how to do it on a tablet but on a computer hover your mouse over their name (do not click) till their profile pops up and click ignore on the bottom right.

Or go into your user profile and select ignored users. Enter desired user name to ignore. 

Presto. Problem disappears.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Gurn said:

Huge risk to that.

A loss like that can kill careers.

I’d argue how you handle the loss potentially kills your own career.

Tocchet’s job is to groom who will make it, not drag everyone in a team sweater over the hill just because they made it this far. 
Tonights roster wasn’t constructed to ensure a win. He could have created something with more chance of that, no problem. But I believe we saw what we saw today because the majority of this bunch formed the bubble players. A scrimmage of bubble players against each other in camp is only good for identifying exactly who we saw tonight. It cost us one game, and a beating at that, but character came through. Skill was apparent. And some reliability and trust maybe established as well. That’s what a coach is looking for. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Provost said:

You literally just re-worded…

… pretty redundant.

They don't mean anything though. The coaches decided to make the bottom players compete directly for spots rather than trying different combos with vets. That's not the same as previous seasons.

That also means that they had some of their top players in and we did not. I noticed that you conveniently glossed over that part of my post.