[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

2 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

Rathbone should of made the team 2 years ago if he was ever been capable.

My view of Woo is the same.

Yeah Woo did not woo me with this opportunity and I am sure Tocchett just decided those 2 have had good opportunity up until now and he has to look at others and the team he hopes to build with what assets ha has available

Just now, RawkDrummer said:

You don't have to agree with me but he still should have made the team 2 years ago (if ever).

I will agree in 99.9% of the time that is the case and before last season, I had considered him a bust, but he did improve last season. I hope he gets a chance to show what he can do playing with veterans. 

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What’s the benefit of playing the Abbotsford Canucks against the Calgary Flames [...] Nothing positive at all came from this game. 

If that's your takeaway I might ask how you react in stressful situations. What do you do when life kicks on your ass. Give up, roll over and die? Or do you learn from it and push that much harder to succeed. Let's see what they got.  That is the purpose.  Sure a 10 Nothing blowout is not ideal but the purpose is the same. Yes, plenty good came from it.

And kindergarten is over.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Progress that he gave all back, if this game is a judge. They really set the young guys against the wolves in this one. 

You may be right, but I would like to see what he can do playing alongside better and more experienced players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

If that's your takeaway I might ask how you react in stressful situations. What do you do when life kicks on your ass. Give up, roll over and die? Or do you learn from it and push that much harder to succeed. Let's see what they got.  That is the purpose.  Sure a 10 Nothing blowout is not ideal but the purpose is the same. Yes, plenty good came from it.

Totally.  This was the Kobayashi maru of hockey games.  By design.  Very quick way to weed out players.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I’ve been more impressed with Studnicka and I thought he was definitely Abby bound. Maybe he isn’t.

We are not going to get a good read on the better prospects till they are playing with a lineup that predominates with regulars. Juulson will look fine… playing with Hughes. Podkolzin would be okay playing with Miller. Hirose or McWard would look okay playing with an nhl d man - just like they did at the end of last year. You just can’t be this many players removed from an nhl team and have it look like one. Management would do better playing their young guys at a neutral site, where the other team is more likely to play a significant number o& their prospects.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Progress that he gave all back, if this game is a judge. They really set the young guys against the wolves in this one. 

....and that is EXACTLY the time for a prospect to showcase his talents.  After all, if he was elevated to the NHL, those are the same players he would be playing against.  The test shows who is ready and who is not.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

And who continued playing the right way, showing the attributes they're looking for-- attention to detail, high compete... even while everything going wrong around then, REGARDLESS of teammates.

I think that's the bigger lesson you're missing here.

Didnr matter if the score was 4-2, 7-3, 10-0. They're still looking for the same thing with the same critical eye with the individual players.

The organization knew exactly what they were doing putting an ahl squad against an NHL squad. It was a test, my friend. And a big one.

It's a waste of time considering we do the same thing every year and start out poorly only playing our NHL players in 2 games of preseason and come out slow every time. The past several years we've done this charade and we land in the same spot every year. Struggling out of the gate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

You may be right, but I would like to see what he can do playing alongside better and more experienced players. 

Me too. All the young guys were put into a pretty tough position in this one. Kind of situation that can shake the confidence of young players. If you are a a prospect close to making the team, this is not going to be a confidence builder - even worse if you are a promising goalie prospect. On the other hand, Raty and Hoglander looked good: Sutter and Studnicka were decent. Rough game to be a D.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

They got shit.  They had shit, no purpose to rubbing their noses in it. 

And if Tocchet didn't know this already, there's a lotta pain heading our way.

Its the NHL, all teams are improving, all the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Singing Chef said:

....and that is EXACTLY the time for a prospect to showcase his talents.  After all, if he was elevated to the NHL, those are the same players he would be playing against.  The test shows who is ready and who is not.

The test is not just who you are playing against, since it is a team game, it’s also about who you are playing with. It’s unreasonable to expect one player and four kids to compete with five players and have the one player look good. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The test is not just who you are playing against, since it is a team game, it’s also about who you are playing with. It’s unreasonable to expect one player and four kids to compete with five players and have the one player look good. 

Agreed - but the player still has to showcase his talents against whomever he is facing, regardless of who is playing beside him.  

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

Rathbone should of made the team 2 years ago if he was ever been capable.

My view of Woo is the same.

Exactly how many non first round pick defensemen at that make the NHL at 21/22, I’ll wait. 

I get being hyped about guys but let’s be realistic still. 

Edited by canuck73_3

7 minutes ago, A_G said:

Id like to see Studnicka keep playing, pref on a line with Aman/Joshua.  

I also liked Studnicka's game tonight. His "high danger Corsi" at 5-on-5 was 5 for and only 1 against, tied with Suter for the best on the team.

But I did not think Aman and Joshua were good and, frankly, I think both those guys were over-rated last year. I like Studnicka with Suter or with Bluegar.

• Cheers 1