[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Honestly, I am not sure how management and the coaching staff could adequately learn anything from this game. They sent a bunch of kids and AHLers out there that have little to no experience together against an NHL team that has been together for many years. How many games have Woo and Hirose played together? How many games have Hoglander and Karlsson played together? Silovs doesn't even have 60 pro games under his belt. Not NHL games, PRO games. It was completely bad form to send those kids out there against that team. And to the posters that laughed at that Calgary roster? Aged pretty poorly huh?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Given the disparity between the lineups I’m not really surprised or particularly concerned about the result.

What I am more eagerly watching is if our preseason follows the path of playing a close to full nhl lineup only in the last few games or if they use more of the preseason to build the foundation for a good start to the season.

Preseason may not matter on the scoreboard but look at how different teams handle it and you see patterns emerge with teams that start well. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Honestly, I am not sure how management and the coaching staff could adequately learn anything from this game. They sent a bunch of kids and AHLers out there that have little to no experience together against an NHL team that has been together for many years. How many games have Woo and Hirose played together? How many games have Hoglander and Karlsson played together? Silovs doesn't even have 60 pro games under his belt. Not NHL games, PRO games. It was completely bad form to send those kids out there against that team. And to the posters that laughed at that Calgary roster? Aged pretty poorly huh?

1 minute ago, WSAcanuck said:

Given the disparity between the lineups I’m not really surprised or particularly concerned about the result.

What I am more eagerly watching is if our preseason follows the path of playing a close to full nhl lineup only in the last few games or if they use more of the preseason to build the foundation for a good start to the season.

Preseason may not matter on the scoreboard but look at how different teams handle it and you see patterns emerge with teams that start well. 

It should be concerning that some of our older prospects are clearly not ready for the NHL.  Guys like Woo and Rathbone are now on extremely short leashes and likely to be put on waivers soon.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jack Gordon said:

"Incredibly, in a whitewash like this one, Akito Hirose was not on the ice for a single Flames goal. And it wasn't like he was sheltered in any way. Hirose was second on the Canucks in ice time (21:07) and even saw time on the penalty kill and somehow managed to keep the Calgary shooters at bay. In the battle for a spot on the big league roster, Hirose continued to show his value to the decision-makers in the organization"

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/analysis/flames-10-canucks-0-pre-season-postgame-patdown

I’m usually pretty good at math but I’m drunk, if there was a goal every 6 minutes and he played 21:07, what would have been the odd to predict that?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It should be concerning that some of our older prospects are clearly not ready for the NHL.  Guys like Woo and Rathbone are now on extremely short leashes and likely to be put on waivers soon.

The fact that Woo hasn't been called up for a single regular season game 5 years after being drafted should tell you everything you need to know. If the organization had any faith in him at all he would have at least had a few games with the big club when they were decimated by injuries. 

42 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I don't think Rathbone is even close to being a ready NHL player ,whether he stays or not with the organization, he hasn't increased his value to any team and would be a throw in on any deal I think we’ve all been rooting for him. He’s a great skater, good with the puck and a character kid. The issue is how he’s been in the org for 4 seasons now? Maybe 3 could stand corrected on that. 

At some point he’s got to stand out and show he’s going to take the spot. He’s had some injury issues and has never played more than 40 games,  so who knows, maybe he needs another year in abby to stay healthy and just learn to dominate defensively.

He’s only 24 and I’m not too worried about losing him on waivers as every team has their own Jack Rathbone type player(s). 

I don’t think we need to move him just yet, he’s only 24. Even if he eventually takes a spot at 26 and stays that could be 8 years of a very good player. 

You don’t work with a player for 3-4 years and dump him when the road could be only 1-2 more. He’s got no value now, so why not try to work with him for another 2 years. 

Perfect situation is he clears, sent to Abby, is used as a call up. Plays the well in those moments. And plays a full season in Abby in all situations and learns to be strong defensively.  I trust Coliton will get the best out of him. He just has to stay healthy.

Edited by BlockerHigh
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Why? Because they didn't carry a bunch of kids and longshots with no experience together against Calgary's A team? That doesn't make sense. Even in the NBA it's unrealistic to ask even the best of players to carry scrubs. This game literally taught us nothing. That's like me asking you to catch a fish with a fork and two pylons and saying "well guess this goof can't catch fish."

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

You changed what I said…attributed it to me. Then responded. That’s not paraphrasing. It’s flat out misquoting…. 

Misquoting would be something you did not intend to mean. But that's not the case here. 

Okay. I'm gonna copy paste your original statement since we're having a bit of a communication breakdown here: "I mean… doesn’t management have some responsibility to not let that happen to our guys?"

Paraphased

"How could management let that happen"

You are clearly insinuating management has some duty to not let that happen and hinting at a level of blame.

So I ask not let what happen.  ie. What blame. You know I didn't misquote you as much as you might want to think. The intention and CHARGE is exactly the same in both original statement and paraprased. I was just cutting to the chase. But if you want to continue tumbling down this semantical rabbit hole, read your original statement with my reply.

It's exactly the same reply

3 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

"Incredibly, in a whitewash like this one, Akito Hirose was not on the ice for a single Flames goal. And it wasn't like he was sheltered in any way. Hirose was second on the Canucks in ice time (21:07) and even saw time on the penalty kill and somehow managed to keep the Calgary shooters at bay. In the battle for a spot on the big league roster, Hirose continued to show his value to the decision-makers in the organization"

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/analysis/flames-10-canucks-0-pre-season-postgame-patdown

I am sure he will be rewarded and paired in a more veteran exhibition game, while others who did not grab the opportunity will be moved out to improve on farm teams and now believe what the coach was saying about how tough it is and quickly things happen (and also how quickly a NHL opportunity can be lost as well

The NHL is not a development team and these players have been shown now how much they have to go yet

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

To be honest, I think it was a rather poorly thought out way of giving these guys some big league ice time against a pretty set Flames squad. See who showed any

big league promise. Pre season just started but I guess Rick wants to get on with the token ice time fast.

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Yep. And them be the breaks. The cream rises as they say.

5 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

The fact that Woo hasn't been called up for a single regular season game 5 years after being drafted should tell you everything you need to know. If the organization had any faith in him at all he would have at least had a few games with the big club when they were decimated by injuries. 

and when we had a poor defence, which should have made it easier then to get a game or two in

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Basically they were trying and only a few were ok

If they were trying and need more teaching as he said (and I thought) doubtful most of them get another look in preseason and get sent down to work on it (as I thought)

We will not see a lineup like this again this year

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

It's a waste of time considering we do the same thing every year and start out poorly only playing our NHL players in 2 games of preseason and come out slow every time. The past several years we've done this charade and we land in the same spot every year. Struggling out of the gate. 

Be careful not to to attribute what happened in the past, especially when fueled with emotional bias, to the here and now. What happened 5 years ago or even 2 years ago has nothing to do with this.   I know its easy to see patterns and this just being another one of those things (previous and continuous trauma of being a Canucks fan lol.) but that can have a tendency to cloud our judgment.  Good survival trait IRL to be sure, but not great for an analytical approach to observation.

But hey you do you.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Personally I think it was to test compete and attitude

who wants it more

they weren’t going to win but they wanted to see who competed for 60 mins, who wouldn’t get lazy or quit 

Tocchet’s whole approach this season was meet pressure with pressure 

players who stood out for effort, details, smart plays tonight will have separated themselves from the pack 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Why? Because they didn't carry a bunch of kids and longshots with no experience together against Calgary's A team? That doesn't make sense. Even in the NBA it's unrealistic to ask even the best of players to carry scrubs. This game literally taught us nothing. That's like me asking you to catch a fish with a fork and two pylons and saying "well guess this goof can't catch fish."

During the first part of any given salmon season the coho up here are so hungry. We drilled a hole in both ends of a teaspoon , clips , leaders a hook to see if it would work on a flasher.  Yup. Caught lots of coho with a teaspoon.   :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1