[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I thought they said they were teaching the farm to play the same way as the big club. If so, we are in trouble!

The farm teams don't play against established NHL teams like the Flames provided tonight though

We also have what 5 of our top prospects not here as well?

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Ngl, never was a fan of Tocchet's empty platitudes. He says all the generic stuff that you hear in EA games. Tonight was on the coaching staff and management for rolling this lineup out there. "They got out of the system." The system they have had next to no time to learn, playing alongside guys they've likely met only just a few weeks ago, against a team that has many years of experience playing together?

This is why most teams at least roll out half a dozen regulars to play alongside the kids. Who was on the bench to settle the group down or get them straight? Irwin is new here. Hogs and Podz are still kids. We aren't Arizona, we don't want to just be throwing kids to the fire and wonder why they're on fire and panicking.

6 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

During the first part of any given salmon season the coho up here are so hungry. We drilled a hole in both ends of a teaspoon , clips , leaders a hook to see if it would work on a flasher.  Yup. Caught lots of coho with a teaspoon.   :classic_laugh:

My dumbass wouldn't have known that. That's why we have vets like you to teach us. See, my point made.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I thought they said they were teaching the farm to play the same way as the big club. If so, we are in trouble!

You need to calm down. It was Canucks AHL lineup against Flames NHL lineup that were playing like it was the Cup finals and had advantage of chemistry and played Markstrom while we played our AHL goalies. You make it sound like this was the real Canucks. The young star tourney is what you should analyze what these players can do not against a regular NHL team that is playing like it's the game 7 of the Cup finals and Markstrom diving like Hasek to make saves 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Ngl, never was a fan of Tocchet's empty platitudes. He says all the generic stuff that you hear in EA games. Tonight was on the coaching staff and management for rolling this lineup out there. "They got out of the system." The system they have had next to no time to learn, playing alongside guys they've likely met only just a few weeks ago, against a team that has many years of experience playing together?

This is why most teams at least roll out half a dozen regulars to play alongside the kids. Who was on the bench to settle the group down or get them straight? Irwin is new here. Hogs and Podz are still kids. We aren't Arizona, we don't want to just be throwing kids to the fire and wonder why they're on fire and panicking.

Fair points, but I don't think this was intended to be a meaningful game against the opposition. I think it meant more as an internal exercise to challenge some players to rise up and prove what they can achieve under significant pressure. As the saying goes..."no pressure, no diamond."

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I also liked Studnicka's game tonight. His "high danger Corsi" at 5-on-5 was 5 for and only 1 against, tied with Suter for the best on the team.

But I did not think Aman and Joshua were good and, frankly, I think both those guys were over-rated last year. I like Studnicka with Suter or with Bluegar.

I think Joshua showed some promise last year, but the problem was that he would only show up about 1 in 10 games. In that 1 game he looked liked he had potential to become a 2nd line power forward but in the other 9 I would forget he was even playing half the time.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I was not impressed, almost seemed like he didn’t care, I knew Green sucked day 1 but I’ll give Tocchet a few months but not impressed so far. Prove me wrong Rick.

46 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

It's a waste of time considering we do the same thing every year and start out poorly only playing our NHL players in 2 games of preseason and come out slow every time. The past several years we've done this charade and we land in the same spot every year. Struggling out of the gate. 

You realize most teams don’t play their starters in the first ex game on the road right?

Toronto played Ottawa tonight in Ottawa. Most of their starters didn’t dress. 

The Canucks will get their starters in and the reps they need. The past is not the present it’s a different coaching staff and mgmt team 

relax dude 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I did not like the game

I am not worried after this game though

Prob I am more worried that Alf may have tripped over his empties as to why he is not here😜

Mrs. Alf came out of the closet, she’s a cowgirl now. Last I heard they’re on their way to marriage counselling.

20 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

To be fair , The Lames probably dressed 45-50% of their roster..we had maybe 4-5 regs.

The Lames had 90% of regulars dressed, wtf are you talking about 45%...Kadri, Huberdeau, Dube, Tanev, Andersson, Hanifen, Jones, Markstrom etc. 

I mean, this was a game between the Calgary Flames and Abbotsford Canucks, so it's weird that people are flexing on calgarypuck, but whatever. Let's see how they'll do in the regular season lol

It was not very classy from them, but I guess after the last few year's humiliation they are eager to prove to their fans that they can confidently beat an AHL roster.

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

So why did they dress so many Abbey players in response to the Flames with so many regulars in the lineup??

I’d love to hear the reasoning for the lineup decisions.

If they wanted all the vets to have another day practicing and building chemistry in Victoria ? That makes some sense.

• Cheers 1

Fan fans this line up sent tonight I blame management? What were they thinking?

Suter  10th F- Joshua #12 F- only regular forwards ?  Dries,  Studnicka are like 13--15th players

Defence most experienced Irwin 36 # 7 or 8th I think Abby guy,.

McWard, AHL  Hirose,AHL    Juulsen #6  Johansen #9 Rathbone AHL- Woo AHL 

Canucks Sent AHL team and Calgary had,  Anderson #1 D - Hanifin #2 D  Tanev #4 D - Gilbert #6

Huberdeau # 2 F - Lindholm #1 - Dube # 8 F

Still should of never lost 10--0 ...Bad game all around..

1 minute ago, Huggy Bear said:

If they wanted all the vets to have another day practicing and building chemistry in Victoria ? That makes some sense.

Some think it’s the most brilliant move in the history of coaching, I think Tacchet screwed up.

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

They got shit.  They had shit, no purpose to rubbing their noses in it. 

And if Tocchet didn't know this already, there's a lotta pain heading our way.

Neither of those are true. They chose to ice the team they did for a reason. It was not on accident, and it was not a mistake.  They were testing the players seeing who could play the right way, handle pressure, details, compete level,etc.-- to do the things coaches asked of them regardless of outcome on the scoreboard.

Question is which players did that to a respectable degree to be front runners for nhl jobs. There's a few spots up for grabs. Preseason games provide the venue to decide (along with other evaluations).)  That's all anyone needs to take from any of this.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Fan fans this line up sent tonight I blame management? What were they thinking?

Suter  10th F- Joshua #12 F- only regular forwards ?  Dries,  Studnicka are like 13--15th players

Defence most experienced Irwin 36 # 7 or 8th I think Abby guy,.

McWard, AHL  Hirose,AHL    Juulsen #6  Johansen #9 Rathbone AHL- Woo AHL 

Canucks Sent AHL team and Calgary had,  Anderson #1 D - Hanifin #2 D  Tanev #4 D - Gilbert #6

Huberdeau # 2 F - Lindholm #1 - Dube # 8 F

Still should of never lost 10--0 ...Bad game all around..

Kadri # 4 F

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Fair points, but I don't think this was intended to be a meaningful game against the opposition. I think it meant more as an internal exercise to challenge some players to rise up and prove what they can achieve under significant pressure. As the saying goes..."no pressure, no diamond."

Yeah but you also gotta put them in a position to succeed that's part of being a good coach. Like, I get proving yourself. But these are kids and prospects. Not 10 year vets like Calgary had. Most of our players haven't even grown into their man body yet. No matter how hard you try, you can only do so much against a vastly stronger and faster opponent that also has more team cohesion. I wonder how many people have actually played sports here. Cause this was not a good way to test these guys. Hoglander and Podkolzin being expected to carry AHLers just doesn't make sense. Even McDavid and Draisaitl can only carry their team so far. And they are pretty much generational talents.

If you want to see what the fringe NHLers can do, they need to play with NHLers against NHLers. If this game had 6 more regulars and maybe even Martin or DeSmith. And Pod and Hogs laid an egg. Yeah, at least that's more fair of a test. Cause they have had teammates that are on par with Calgary. But in this game, there's nothing really to be learned other than the NHL has better players than the AHL. I coulda told you that, for free.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

"They gotta learn... It's a learning experience." These guys are young guys. You gotta teach em."

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postgame-tocchet-at-flames-6337770799112

Big reason why the lineup was what it was.

Edited by Canuckle