[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Just now, Canuckle said:

"They gotta learn... It's a learning experience." These guys are young guys. You gotta teach em."

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postgame-tocchet-at-flames-6337770799112

That's why the lineup was what the lineup was.

He had the passion of someone who got hit in the balls with a bag of nickels in that interview, not very reassuring. I think he screwed up and knows it, hopefully he’ll learn.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

I’d love to hear the reasoning for the lineup decisions.

If they wanted all the vets to have another day practicing and building chemistry in Victoria ? That makes some sense.

Hearing Tocc's reasoning didn't make it any better. The kids gotta learn but they gotta learn with no veteran teammate support I guess against a playoff team in our division on their ice. Honestly, I feel like Miller's presence alone would have done wonders for this squad. The regulars we had were Joshua, a 4th liner, and Suter and Irwin. WHO HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED FOR US YET. Like, the decision to ice this roster was terrible.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

He had the passion of someone who got hit in the balls with a bag of nickels in that interview, not very reassuring. I think he screwed up and knows it, hopefully he’ll learn.

oh bull lol.

its god damn preaseason game testing the ahl guys so they can learn, and compete for jobs.

give it a rest

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

• Cheers 4

40 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Why? Because they didn't carry a bunch of kids and longshots with no experience together against Calgary's A team? That doesn't make sense. Even in the NBA it's unrealistic to ask even the best of players to carry scrubs. This game literally taught us nothing. That's like me asking you to catch a fish with a fork and two pylons and saying "well guess this goof can't catch fish."

We iced enough players who most of us expected to contend for NHL positions.  It was a measure of our prospect depth, and a sobering reality that a lot of them aren't NHL level yet.  Work ethic and effort go a long way in this league, especially in the preseason where opposing teams are still working on offensive systems and chemistry.

I'm going to try and at least take something out of this game - taking note of who played alright and who didn't.  That's the best anyone can do.  Even in the NBA there are individual metrics by which you can assess the bench players, regardless of competition.  I imagine those metrics don't look great for a lot of our players tonight.

20 minutes ago, Defcon1 said:

You need to calm down. It was Canucks AHL lineup against Flames NHL lineup that were playing like it was the Cup finals and had advantage of chemistry and played Markstrom while we played our AHL goalies. You make it sound like this was the real Canucks. The young star tourney is what you should analyze what these players can do not against a regular NHL team that is playing like it's the game 7 of the Cup finals and Markstrom diving like Hasek to make saves 

The regulars on Calgary did not have a strong game.  Players like Nazem Kadri and Noah Hanifin aren't fighting for positions here.  They are simply trying to get back into hockey shape and improve fitness.  But some of our players were fighting for the open spots on the main squad, and a lot of them disppointed.  Even Flames fans think their team didn't play that well - they just think Vancouver played like crap and showed little effort.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

oh bull lol.

its god damn preaseason game testing the ahl guys so they can learn, and compete for jobs.

give it a rest

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

Its only preseason.

it’s only the first game.

it’s only the first week.

it’s only the first month.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Its only preseason.

it’s only the first game.

it’s only the first week.

it’s only the first month.

because icing an ahl roster in the preseason has anything to do with the first game with the NHL team, the first week with the NHL team, the first month with the NHL team?

not the most convincing argument

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Canuckle said:

because icing an ahl roster in the preseason has anything to do with the first game with the NHL team, the first week with the NHL team, the first month with the NHL team?

Yes, it’s a building block for the rest of the season, coming out game one and losing 10-0 and exposing how soft you are sets you up for failure.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yeah but you also gotta put them in a position to succeed that's part of being a good coach. Like, I get proving yourself. But these are kids and prospects. Not 10 year vets like Calgary had. Most of our players haven't even grown into their man body yet. No matter how hard you try, you can only do so much against a vastly stronger and faster opponent that also has more team cohesion. I wonder how many people have actually played sports here. Cause this was not a good way to test these guys. Hoglander and Podkolzin being expected to carry AHLers just doesn't make sense. Even McDavid and Draisaitl can only carry their team so far. And they are pretty much generational talents.

If you want to see what the fringe NHLers can do, they need to play with NHLers against NHLers. If this game had 6 more regulars and maybe even Martin or DeSmith. And Pod and Hogs laid an egg. Yeah, at least that's more fair of a test. Cause they have had teammates that are on par with Calgary. But in this game, there's nothing really to be learned other than the NHL has better players than the AHL. I coulda told you that, for free.

Perhaps you're missing a key point  - No one was expected to carry the other -

This was a team put together to see whom of the individual players could potentially handle the transition into the rigours of competing against better quality players on a regular basis. Cut and dry. 

You argue that this was a competition and it was, but not against the Flames. It was internal competition amongst themselves to prove who could show the best of what they have to offer.

Almost all of the players tonight are competing against one another for few spots on the big club. Creating chemistry was not the purpose. Internal competition was.

As such, I don't understand why anyone is looking at this as a win or loss situation against another NHL club when the posted roster pre-game was evident of what might occur tonight. Why anyone is surprised is beyond me.

Again, this game was a high level scrimmage against another club, with the sole purpose to identify NHL readiness without having to rely on NHL quality players to define that.  It is no different than what these players have experienced as previous benchmarks in their own careers to get to where they are now...to stand out and make their junior, rep, bantam clubs etc...To prove and re-inforce their potential draft position out of junior, college, etc.

You certainly never hear about how "unfair" it is for any fledgling player that they didn't have a much more experienced and skilled player to carry them in order to prove their value. That's something that, regardless of the circumstance, is up to them to prove themselves.  You do that first and foremost by separating yourself from your peers, even in a team sport. Apparently, that also happened tonight so not all is lost.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Yes, it’s a building block for the rest of the season, coming out game one and losing 10-0 and exposing how soft you are sets you up for failure.

not really.   the scoreboard was 100% irrelevant tonight.  Even if Canucks won it would be just as irrelevant to "building blocks" or "indications" of anything. God damn ahl team playing an nhl team lol.  playing to learn and compete for jobs.  end of story.

But hey if you want to extrapolate this all into some bigger thing you go right ahead.  dont make it reality though.

Edited by Canuckle
spelling

7 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

What are you even talking about? Lol. Yes, getting your prospects blown up in front of the world is going to effect them beyond this month. Tell me you never played sports without telling me you never played sports. Mission complete.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Canuckle said:

Score is meaningless. and until you understand that you're never gonna get whats being said.

You think Tocchet made a brilliant move, I think he severely screwed up, argue all you want, only time will tell.I’d kill to be wrong.

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

What are you even talking about? Lol. Yes, getting your prospects blown up in front of the world is going to effect them beyond this month. Tell me you never played sports without telling me you never played sports. Mission complete.

What you think they're all just gonna crawl into the fetal postion on the floor and cry because all their hopes and dreams are now dead?? lmao

I AM SO DEVESTATED AND EMBAREESEED I WANT TO QUIT HOCKEY FOORREEVRR. waaaaaaaaaaaa

Emotion Reaction GIF

They are professional athletes.  Get a grip.

BTW that is by the funniest shit ive read tonight, so thank you for that

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1