[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Of this roster that is supposedly so fragile mentally that this game could have ruined careers:

Goalies: Arturs Silovs - 5 NHL GP

Zach Sawchenko - 7 NHL GP

Jonathan Lemieux - 0 NHL GP

Defencemen: 
Jack Rathbone - 28 NHL GP
Akita Hirose - 7 NHL GP
Jett Woo - 0 GP
Filip Johansson - 0 GP
Noah Juulsen - 68 NHL GP
Cole McWard - 5 NHL GP
Matt Irwin - 461 NHL GP

Forwards: 
Sheldon Dries - 122 NHL GP
Danila Klimovich - 0 NHL GP
Aatu Raty - 15 NHL GP
Nils Hoglander -  131 NHL GP
Jack Studnicka - 85 NHL GP
Pius Suter - 216 NHL GP
Aidan McDonough - 6 NHL GP
Max Sasson - 0 NHL GP
Jermaine Loewen - 0 NHL GP
Dakota Joshua - 121 NHL GP
Nils Aman - 68 NHL GP
Vasili Podkolzin - 118 NHL GP
Linus Karlsson - 0 NHL GP

Most of these players have a cup of coffee or much more already in the NHL.
Some of the roster was probably being rewarded for a good camp and as such were given some experience as to what the NHL requires from them.
At any rate, for those defending how horrible this was, hopefully the list of GP above proves that the majority of these players knew what they were in for and I highly doubt they want anybody's pity. I would argue in fact that all they want is the experience they got...to play against NHL level competition. REALITY.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

this is so typical of canucks fans. Do you not see this, all our rookies against Calgary playoff team and we were equal or better as follows:

image.png.5975794c4946c3fa603bef2d867fc1ae.png

In all honesty when you score 10 goals you do lose a lot of SOGs because no rebounds and there was a huge discrepancy in the quality of scoring chances. Faceoffs look good, PP is terrible, 

Edited by Dumb Nuck

9 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

In all honesty when you score 10 goals you do lose a lot of SOGs because no rebounds and there was a huge discrepancy in the quality of scoring chances. Faceoffs look good, PP is terrible, 

J. Huberdeau, Kadri, and Dube couldnt even get a hat-trick on our AHL line-up. I think we did fine

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

J. Huberdeau, Kadri, and Dube couldnt even get a hat-trick on our AHL line-up. I think we did fine

I’m sorry but 10-0 is not fine.

Coyotes played 5 games in 3 days with half their team in Australia and their worst game was 7-0.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

I’m curious as to where in our conference we will finish this year.

Million dollar question ain't it.

In the words of grey balls Rutherford, "we have a playoff team if everything goes right" I agree. At this point I have them pegged around 104 points (barring major injury to crucial core players (knock on wood.))  But we've seen what the depth looks like so... not all that reassuring. But best case? 3rd in division, 6th or 7th in the Conference Perhaps battling with Minnesota. Somewhere in there.  If...

20 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Of this roster that is supposedly so fragile mentally that this game could have ruined careers:

Goalies: Arturs Silovs - 5 NHL GP

Zach Sawchenko - 7 NHL GP

Jonathan Lemieux - 0 NHL GP

Defencemen: 
Jack Rathbone - 28 NHL GP
Akita Hirose - 7 NHL GP
Jett Woo - 0 GP
Filip Johansson - 0 GP
Noah Juulsen - 68 NHL GP
Cole McWard - 5 NHL GP
Matt Irwin - 461 NHL GP

Forwards: 
Sheldon Dries - 122 NHL GP
Danila Klimovich - 0 NHL GP
Aatu Raty - 15 NHL GP
Nils Hoglander -  131 NHL GP
Jack Studnicka - 85 NHL GP
Pius Suter - 216 NHL GP
Aidan McDonough - 6 NHL GP
Max Sasson - 0 NHL GP
Jermaine Loewen - 0 NHL GP
Dakota Joshua - 121 NHL GP
Nils Aman - 68 NHL GP
Vasili Podkolzin - 118 NHL GP
Linus Karlsson - 0 NHL GP

Most of these players have a cup of coffee or much more already in the NHL.
Some of the roster was probably being rewarded for a good camp and as such were given some experience as to what the NHL requires from them.
At any rate, for those defending how horrible this was, hopefully the list of GP above proves that the majority of these players knew what they were in for and I highly doubt they want anybody's pity. I would argue in fact that all they want is the experience they got...to play against NHL level competition. REALITY.

Yes. Reality is needed for most of these guys who have played over 20 games and still not on roster. We like them but need more. 

Calgary played a team that looked like their playoff team and to be honest, they did well on scoreboard but thats it:

image.png.c25c079c14b700ce87dd9aa577b5d168.png

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

Million dollar question ain't it.

In the words of grey balls Rutherford, "we have a playoff team if everything goes right" I agree. At this point I have them pegged around 104 points (barring major injury to crucial core players (knock on wood.))  But we've seen what the depth looks like so... not all that reassuring. But best case? 3rd in division, 6th or 7th in the Conference Perhaps battling with Minnesota. Somewhere in there.  If...

I predicted 10th in the prediction thread and I’m a kinda gambling guy, seems you think we make the playoffs, I say we don’t. I’d bet you $50, loser donates it to Canucks Place, and all the laughing the winner wants at the others expense.

27 minutes ago, RWJC said:

these players knew what they were in for and I highly doubt they want anybody's pity. I would argue in fact that all they want is the experience they got...to play against NHL level competition. REALITY.

100%. Professional athletes... living out their dreams playing hockey to the highest levels in the world and making huge dollars doing so... being so unbelievably demoralized by a bad preseason game in the national league that it would scar and forever change them, haunt their dreams, make them dribble down their legs whenever they think of lacing up their skates again. Guys who skate full tilt and smash face, take pucks to the fucking dome, lose teeth, get beaten and bruised, play with broken fucking bones...? Guys want to play against the best-- They want to be the best!  Whatever it takes, whatever the cost. And a player wouldn't even get to that level of competitive sport without that attitude to begin with!!!  The whole thing is absurd.

19 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I predicted 10th in the prediction thread and I’m a kinda gambling guy, seems you think we make the playoffs, I say we don’t. I’d bet you $50, loser donates it to Canucks Place, and all the laughing the winner wants at the others expense.

in that case make it $100.00. 😉

• Like 1

I haven't read all 87 pages of this thread so this has probably been covered previously. I don't understand the logic behind sending a team full of AHL players and fringe NHLer's to play against a fully loaded NHL team. What could they possibly have learned from this? The Canuck players' confidence has been shattered, stomped on and laughed at. I was 100% in support of the new management but this stinks. It was a bad decision and we are owed an apology and a promise that it will never happen again. Disgraceful. For all of you who have played this game seriously, you know you are only as good as the other players on your team can make you. Our young Canucks need to play with and learn from the teammates who have been in the league for  awhile - NOT play with the same AHL players they played with last year. Give your head a shake management, there's something loose up there.

13 minutes ago, broken sticks said:

I haven't read all 87 pages of this thread so this has probably been covered previously.

indeed it has. And you're in luck. You only have to scroll back a few pages to find the answers to your questions. User RWJC has some very good comments worth pondering. 🙂

Edited by Canuckle

I understand, we all hate losing to the Lames, but c'mon, what was management going to do, dress the opening night roster for a nothing game and risk an injury? The Lames knew we would ice an AHL team, so they dressed their playoff roster and ran up the score so they could feel superior, big deal. I was hopeful Juulsen and/or Woo would stick because we need a right shot D to play with Hughes, but neither played like they want that spot. Sadly, Irwin looks like he played like crap too. I only saw the highlights, but based on +/- some players did okay, like Hirose, so maybe he sticks. When your top line is maybe your #4 line on on the opening night roster, plus Hogz and Podz, you are going to get cleaned, I'm sure it helped management figure out some of the first cuts. This is not a knock on organizational depth, no AHL team would have been remotely close to the team Calgary iced tonight. Suck it up and move on.

7 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

I understand, we all hate losing to the Lames, but c'mon, what was management going to do, dress the opening night roster for a nothing game and risk an injury? The Lames knew we would ice an AHL team, so they dressed their playoff roster and ran up the score so they could feel superior, big deal. I was hopeful Juulsen and/or Woo would stick because we need a right shot D to play with Hughes, but neither played like they want that spot. Sadly, Irwin looks like he played like crap too. I only saw the highlights, but based on +/- some players did okay, like Hirose, so maybe he sticks. When your top line is maybe your #4 line on on the opening night roster, plus Hogz and Podz, you are going to get cleaned, I'm sure it helped management figure out some of the first cuts. This is not a knock on organizational depth, no AHL team would have been remotely close to the team Calgary iced tonight. Suck it up and move on.

by your logic the regulars shouldn't play a single preseason games coz they are all mean nothing game and all a risk for an injury. playoff roster? they dressed 40% of the regulars.. they missed the playoff last year their players struggled last season they got a new coach.. probably a good idea to play the regulars more to get an idea how the coach wants them to play instead of just practice and figure it out in game 1 of the season. every preseason the coach and management current and past treats it like no big deal.. the regular plays about 2 games in the preseason usually 1 with non regular lineups where they test out combinations.. and 1 final tune up before regular season.. and every year the team starts off like they are still in training camp. is it really that hard to rotate a regular forward line and a defence pairing in each game so they can start building chemistry right away? not much to evaluate when you ice ahl vs nhl.. and not much to evaluate again when you ice ur nhl vs others ahl lineup. i'm sure the management already know whos the first cut even before this game. 

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

by your logic the regulars shouldn't play a single preseason games coz they are all mean nothing game and all a risk for an injury. playoff roster? they dressed 40% of the regulars.. they missed the playoff last year their players struggled last season they got a new coach.. probably a good idea to play the regulars more to get an idea how the coach wants them to play instead of just practice and figure it out in game 1 of the season. every preseason the coach and management current and past treats it like no big deal.. the regular plays about 2 games in the preseason usually 1 with non regular lineups where they test out combinations.. and 1 final tune up before regular season.. and every year the team starts off like they are still in training camp. is it really that hard to rotate a regular forward line and a defence pairing in each game so they can start building chemistry right away? not much to evaluate when you ice ahl vs nhl.. and not much to evaluate again when you ice ur nhl vs others ahl lineup. i'm sure the management already know whos the first cut even before this game. 

I doubt more than 3-4 guys who played tonight will even make the team.  If you want these guys to succeed then throw some veterans in the lineup.  Calgary is a one and a half hour flight.  It's not going to hurt some veterans to make the trip.  Also, they are playing in Edmonton on Wednesday.  So is everyone flying back to Victoria, or are they staying in Alberta?  If they are staying in Alberta, then it even makes less sense that a few veterans didn't join the group earlier...

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

What if the club finishes 9th? You both lose?