[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

40 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I feel for him a bit. He wants it, he seems to really care. To me, he is struggling to find his role and identity. I have faith on Tochett to help Pods with this and I think it needs to start with just being defensive and physical. Tell the kid, don't worry about points and just play solid. Hope he can figure it out. 

I have no doubt Podz will be ok. 

I see him as the 2nd best 2 way player on the team after Petey. Podz always makes the right play and has very intelligent hockey iq. Perhaps yesterday was him just trying to do too much being one the the expected leaders in a blowout game. Podz is built for the pro game and I think when he is playing next to bonafide NHLers, he will be fine. 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I have no doubt Podz will be ok. 

I see him as the 2nd best 2 way player on the team after Petey. Podz always makes the right play and has very intelligent hockey iq. Perhaps yesterday was him just trying to do too much being one the the expected leaders in a blowout game. Podz is built for the pro game and I think when he is playing next to bonafide NHLers, he will be fine. 

I disagree. If Podz can't stand out in a game like last night - when in fact he looked like the worst player on the team - then that's cause for concern. It looked like he didn't train during the off-season. He needs to gain a step each summer, not lose.

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I disagree. If Podz can't stand out in a game like last night - when in fact he looked like the worst player on the team - then that's cause for concern. It looked like he didn't train during the off-season. He needs to gain a step each summer, not lose.

Yeah you might be right about that. Lucky for him, he's gained a bit of a longer leash. I thought he was fine in Abby last year. If he was an undrafted prospect, for sure yesterday's game would prob result in a cut. I don't ever want Podz to take things for granted like his draft position but this is the first time he's had an irresponsible game. If the trend continues, yes be worried but I'd like to see how he comes back from this. Who knows, maybe there's even a language barrier with new systems or I'm not sure if he had a kid this past summer, like who knows why he played the way he did yesterday? From watching him as a prospect to his initial NHL stint to his time in Abby, I've never been concerned. In fact, I lauded his responsible 2 way play and wishes more players on the team was like that. As a result, I'm willing to cut him some slack and give him the benefit of doubt. 

10 hours ago, Tusk said:

this is so typical of canucks fans. Do you not see this, all our rookies against Calgary playoff team and we were equal or better as follows:

image.png.5975794c4946c3fa603bef2d867fc1ae.png

If the Canucks team of "NHL hopefuls" managed only 10 hits the entire game, that's quite telling.  Heck, Schenn regularly had 10 hits per game BY HIMSELF.   

Sad, really !

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Not concerned about last night. Our lineup was young, inexperienced guys up against NHL veteran stars. Ridiculous really. No wonder it was 10-0. ... lol

I will say, though, with less preseason games now - and we seem to go through this every year - we should have our regular guys building chemistry right from the get go to avoid slow starts. 

I really don't want to see young guys who won't make the team auditioning right up until opening night. 

Most importantly, we need our special team coming out hot. This could be the difference between wins and losses early in the season and could sink us or put us in good playoff contention right off the bat. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah you might be right about that. Lucky for him, he's gained a bit of a longer leash. I thought he was fine in Abby last year. If he was an undrafted prospect, for sure yesterday's game would prob result in a cut. I don't ever want Podz to take things for granted like his draft position but this is the first time he's had an irresponsible game. If the trend continues, yes be worried but I'd like to see how he comes back from this. Who knows, maybe there's even a language barrier with new systems or I'm not sure if he had a kid this past summer, like who knows why he played the way he did yesterday? From watching him as a prospect to his initial NHL stint to his time in Abby, I've never been concerned. In fact, I lauded his responsible 2 way play and wishes more players on the team was like that. As a result, I'm willing to cut him some slack and give him the benefit of doubt. 

He can have the benefit of the doubt in Abby this year 😁

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Yeah. Wasn't impressed at all. Same with Juulsen. These guys, regardless of who their facing, had an opportunity to step up and didn't. Same with a lot of guys. How badly do you want it? 

Hockey is a team game, when team an ECL level tough.to step up

look how proud they are that they beat an ahl roster... let's see their faces once the season is done and they will have missed the playoffs, or better yet, bounced in the first round by the oilers... smug idiots, these guys make me sick

image.png.0d3e4c325edeef152992ade4870576e8.png

image.png.6f7683af1af36f098aeee9089b06e8f8.png

image.png.01b786545671f428cc4ce37482635ac0.png

image.png.278c7e27c17c46604192d682560a3621.png

Edited by Rubik
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ribs said:

We need to make sure our best players aren't ready to play.

On the contrary, we need to make sure our best players in the AHL are ready to play at the NHL level; To understand what it takes to compete with the best, to earn a job in the show. Learning, adapting, pushing themselves to play the right way.

Coaches and management are just evaluating what they have to work with in the system and they chose trial by fire. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I commend them for it.

I'm sure the NHL mainstays will be peppered in the last few pre season games. Nothing to get in a tiff about...  yet. 😉

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hearing Tocc's reasoning didn't make it any better. The kids gotta learn but they gotta learn with no veteran teammate support I guess against a playoff team in our division on their ice. Honestly, I feel like Miller's presence alone would have done wonders for this squad. The regulars we had were Joshua, a 4th liner, and Suter and Irwin. WHO HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED FOR US YET. Like, the decision to ice this roster was terrible.

“They’ve gotta learn”  doesn’t seem like a fulsome explanation for sending our AHL team (without their tough players) against the Flames top line, top 4D, Markstrom, and Klapka & Rusczika. 

I don’t presume to know better, and I don’t mind if it was a mistake, but would like to hear the rationale.

On 9/24/2023 at 11:14 AM, DrJockitch said:

Is there a legit streaming service (I will pay) that doesn’t blackout Canuck’s games in Ontario. 
‘I got tired of paying for TSN and sportsnet so that I could watch the Leafs and every US team game but not Canadian teams because of the antiquated blackout system. 
Centre ice is no longer a thing. I am not going to Sportsnet Now since they just extend the blackouts to streaming and prefer not to vpn all the time. 

Regional restrictions  applied. I myself am in ottawa, yet there are ways around it. Tired of Toronto Sports network holding us hostage

Something i have noticed over the years in our pre-season games with calgary is that each time ices a more competitive roster on home ice. 

I bet our next preseason against calgary, we ice our nhl roster and they ice their AHL team. 

This has happened for years and i think is an agreement between clubs

• Upvote 1