[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Its easy to, in retrospect, question what was the point of this game, in Tocchet's decision to ice such a minor league roster.

I think his thinking was to throw every prospect, who has been talked about having a chance at being called up this season, to the wolves. As a test, knowing they'd probably lose the game.  What I don't know is if Rick knew that Calgary was going to ice their A team. Calgary doing that, kind of f'd up Rick's plan to a degree.  Because when the talent and experience is that lopsided, you have nothing to judge against.

As far as meaning anything towards how our A team will perform in the regular season? Of course it means nothing.  But as far as being confident in our depth in Abbotsford, it is a little concerning. As JR pointed out, everything has to go right for any success this season, and that includes relying on at least some confidence in call-ups due to injuries etc.

On the other hand...this was the first preseason game. Even though I'd have liked to see a couple  more veterans on our squad, and/or a more minor team opposition to be able to have any chance at seeing what some of these prospects can do with a little  more support and momentum of a closer score, this is game 1 of the preseason.  I have no problem with the decision if this is a one off.  Tocchet wanted to know if and who has the grit and determination to push through this kind of adversity, even if he was not predicting quite as daunting an opposition.  Sorry to say but I think Tocchet, JR, and PA are probably a little more concerned this morning. Not overly concerned, but this test in the Flames, didn't put much of a shine on players like Podkolzin or Silovs, or Woo, to name only a few.

I think it was a one off for the first game. An experiment by Tocchet to better know what he has in Abby. I don't expect this kind of lineup in any other preseason game. And that's okay. The result was embarrassing, but i see what he was doing. I just wish there'd been a little more physical push back once the game got out of hand. But Calgary, by icing the roster they did, made Tocchets experiment almost useless in a way. And I'm hoping a few of the young guys get another shot in a more balanced test.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Another of negative responses. A darm team was iced to find what level they are at. Case in point Podz looked echl bound. 

Toc was looking for chemistry , grit and level of play. I am sure he has a good notion as to where that lineup belongs today.

Let's not allow our team be led to the slaughter house just yet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I disagree with your opinion on needing to start managing the workload of our top players already. Last year Miller and Demko only played one preseason game each and both came out incredibly flat and took a while to get going. Goalies especially need to start building routine and game action is very different from doing drills or having a buddy shoot on you in the summer. That doesn't mean we need to be dressing them every game, but they do need enough to knock the rust off.

Hopefully this was the last of the AHL/CHL roaster and we start rotating some vets in the rest of the games. Don't forget that we will also have 4 new defensemen in our starting 6 who need to start learning how to play together as well.

The last paragraph.   That's key. 

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

Something i have noticed over the years in our pre-season games with calgary is that each time ices a more competitive roster on home ice. 

I bet our next preseason against calgary, we ice our nhl roster and they ice their AHL team. 

This has happened for years and i think is an agreement between clubs

yep, but still not very classy whooping us like that... but karma's a bitch, what goes around comes around... they should know that better than anyone... kicked in goal in 1989 cup run, while in 2004 the puck (probably) crossed the goal line, yet no goal awarded, thus robbing them from another cup.

Edited by Rubik
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

Something i have noticed over the years in our pre-season games with calgary is that each time ices a more competitive roster on home ice. 

I bet our next preseason against calgary, we ice our nhl roster and they ice their AHL team. 

This has happened for years and i think is an agreement between clubs

I’ve definitely noticed that too. I think it’s good that they do that. Each club needs to figure out what they have prospects wise. It’s a great measuring tool to see where you’re at in your player development.

Yes last night sucked to watch but it was a reality check that lots of players probably needed. Everyone from players, coaches, to fans all learned some painful things last night lol. And to be honest lots of these players could all do more reps on the farm, they got a good thing going in Abby. We finally have a good home for prospects to grow.

I think Podz and Klim should spend an entire year together on the farm and really get some chemistry brewing between them. 

Same with Rathbone and Woo. They are a great tandem in the AHL. I’d love to see them get some more time together on the farm. Last season they didn’t play much together. But the season before they were dynamite together.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 3

So pretty decent showing. If we can improve a little bit we should be able to regain our form from last year and pull off some exciting 8-4 losses. 🤣

Haha, terrible game but it's hopefully not indicative of our upcoming season. Let's just remember we probably might have zero of these players come October.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Its easy to, in retrospect, question what was the point of this game, in Tocchet's decision to ice such a minor league roster.

I think his thinking was to throw every prospect, who has been talked about having a chance at being called up this season, to the wolves. As a test, knowing they'd probably lose the game.  What I don't know is if Rick knew that Calgary was going to ice their A team. Calgary doing that, kind of f'd up Rick's plan to a degree.  Because when the talent and experience is that lopsided, you have nothing to judge against.

As far as meaning anything towards how our A team will perform in the regular season? Of course it means nothing.  But as far as being confident in our depth in Abbotsford, it is a little concerning. As JR pointed out, everything has to go right for any success this season, and that includes relying on at least some confidence in call-ups due to injuries etc.

On the other hand...this was the first preseason game. Even though I'd have liked to see a couple  more veterans on our squad, and/or a more minor team opposition to be able to have any chance at seeing what some of these prospects can do with a little  more support and momentum of a closer score, this is game 1 of the preseason.  I have no problem with the decision if this is a one off.  Tocchet wanted to know if and who has the grit and determination to push through this kind of adversity, even if he was not predicting quite as daunting an opposition.  Sorry to say but I think Tocchet, JR, and PA are probably a little more concerned this morning. Not overly concerned, but this test in the Flames, didn't put much of a shine on players like Podkolzin or Silovs, or Woo, to name only a few.

I think it was a one off for the first game. An experiment by Tocchet to better know what he has in Abby. I don't expect this kind of lineup in any other preseason game. And that's okay. The result was embarrassing, but i see what he was doing. I just wish there'd been a little more physical push back once the game got out of hand. But Calgary, by icing the roster they did, made Tocchets experiment almost useless in a way. And I'm hoping a few of the young guys get another shot in a more balanced test.

Yeah like you said it depends on what they were trying to accomplish. If it's just giving everyone a chance then that's fine. Now everybody got a game and cuts can be made sooner than later. Hopefully we get a more solid line-up next and get the losing taste out of our mouths. Nothing game though with what might be no players from the NHL squad. Podkolzin didn't do himself any favors and he'll get sent down unless he does something amazing in the next couple of days.

• Vintage 2

Podkolzin is starting to remind me a bit of Virtanen, and I don’t like making that comparison at all. Not in terms of off-ice issues (Podz seems like a real character guy) but he has all these natural gifts (big, strong, fast, hard shot) and doesn’t seem to be able to put it all together on the ice. Hopefully someone can give him the pep talk of a lifetime and he can finish up the pre-season strong. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Canuckle said:

FTFY

Hey you did it right! 

a simple ftfy to show that you are interpreting something erases the illusion that you are directly quoting a person while simultaneously changing what they’ve said.

I’m proud of you. Progress made! 

Edited by Dizzle

It's still very early in the exhibition portion of the season. Gotta tell yah, count me in on the nay side for the whole idea of throwing AHL and

tryout players with almost no roster players last night. Just cannot see what was learned; other then Holy shit! I suck. Just going by the faces.

I reckon the idea is to make players very aware of where their week spots are, whether it skating or puck distribution, toughness, whatever.

Edited by Rip The Mesh

28 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It's still very early in the exhibition portion of the season. Gotta tell yah, count me in on the nay side for the whole idea of throwing AHL and

tryout players with almost no roster players last night. Just cannot see what was learned; other then Holy shit! I suck. Just going by the faces.

I reckon the idea is to make players very aware of where their week spots are, whether it skating or puck distribution, toughness, whatever.

I’d love to hear the reasoning for sending that roster.

Did he know who Calgary was playing and sent that group anyway? Was the intention just to get the b squad a game, and let the vets have Sunday to practice? Was it to give RT a game coaching /evaluating mostly Abby players against NHL competition?

Edited by Huggy Bear

8 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Did he know who Calgary was playing and sent that group anyway? Was the intention just to get the b squad a game, and let the vets have Sunday to practice? Was it to give RT a game coaching /evaluating mostly Abby players against NHL competition?

Exactly what it was I think. These players got a game and the regulars didn't need to waste a training day travelling and they'll be playing in the next one in Edmonton hopefully.

24 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Come to think of it, he hasn't really addressed that. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that they thought the Flames would go heavier on guys trying to make the team. As it is; My take is our fringe guys and Abby players walked away with their heads in a sling. Pretty hard to learn sweet pi*s all in a game like that.

Edited by Rip The Mesh

1 hour ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

I saw the score this morning and could hardly wait for lunch to come and read the new best fan board in the NHL.

And I have not been disappointed way to be CDC 

GCG

We aim to please. 
For what it’s worth , we’re actually CFF now…Canucks Fan Forum. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly what it was I think. These players got a game and the regulars didn't need to waste a training day travelling and they'll be playing in the next one in Edmonton hopefully.

11 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Come to think of it, he hasn't really addressed that. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that they thought the Flames would go heavier on guys trying to make the team. As it is; My take is our fringe guys and Abby players walked away with their heads in a sling. Pretty hard to learn sweet pi*s all in a game like that.

would be great if he shared the ‘why,’ even if it didn’t work out as planned.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The greatest learning doesn't come from comfort. It comes from adversity. 

Also shame, embarrassment, losing dignity, and ...

A 10-0 beatdown.

True. Use to get my butt kicked playing ping pong against my older brothers and others. But it was because of playing against higher level players, I got better to the point where I was beating their asses! 

• Cheers 1