[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It was pretty bad. The Flames didn't even look like they were trying. 

Tochet did the Canucks vets a favour not playing them straight out of camp.  Young players took it on the chin. 

That said, systems play broke down non stop especially the diamond pk, concerning!         

4 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

True. Use to get my butt kicked playing ping pong against my older brothers and others. But it was because of playing against higher level players, I got better to the point where I was beating their asses! 

Great story! Sounds like my entire childhood playing sports - losing, getting pushed around, getting cut, picked last, etc - until I got bigger than my friends and started making top teams and outperforming then. 

I'm thinking ... let the Flames laugh today. It'll be sweeter when we beat their asses into the playoffs. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Great story! Sounds like my entire childhood playing sports - losing, getting pushed around, getting cut, picked last, etc - until I got bigger than my friends and started making top teams and outperforming then. 

I'm thinking ... let the Flames laugh today. It'll be sweeter when we beat their asses into the playoffs. 

Exactly. Same with hockey, football, baseball, lacrosse, tennis, and so on. The one thing I thought of after I wrote about ping pong is, sure, you can take a beating and whimper away, or, depending how passionate you are about anything, you can take that as a challenge and strive to become even better. It's up to each individual, obviously. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Barn Burner said:

Exactly. Same with hockey, football, baseball, lacrosse, tennis, and so on. The one thing I thought of after I wrote about ping pong is, sure, you can take a beating and whimper away, or, depending how passionate you are about anything, you can take that as a challenge and strive to become even better. It's up to each individual, obviously. 

Well said. Agree completely. I'm betting Tocchet believes in that too. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well said. Agree completely. I'm betting Tocchet believes in that too. 

I'm pretty sure RT believes and lives that too. Same with Sedins, Gonchar, Foote, etc. They didn't achieve the levels they did by settling for less. The Sedins are actually a great example, based on their slower development. But hey... 

• Cheers 1

That was truly a boys Vs. men game and certainly proved one thing - and that was that nearly all of our young prospects are not currently "up-to-snuff" to play in the NHL and likely why JR said last Thursday that "we should be a playoff team - IF - things go right"................because he knows what we saw last night - that those rookies will never save us if there are a string of injuries and we have little talent to fall back on - this, as a result of poor drafting for many years.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I didn't like that buyout from the beginning, and still don't. I felt that as long as he was healthy, give him one more year to prove himself. 

I'm hoping he has a great year, still had more to give imo. I'd have held off on buying him out. Never had a complimentary partner, the Canucks still have addressed that a bit but it's still a problem in our top four. OEL didn't have a great year but it's easy to scapegoat players for roster construction. 

Lockwood also had a goal and Forsling had a couple assists while I'm playing with the salt :classic_ninja:.. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, chaoticmonkey said:

100% agree.

I get that it enabled us to gain more cap space, which was quickly used up to hopefully improve the team's defense, but he was already here and could potentially have had a bounce back season, which would have taken care of the LD. Hughes, OEL, Wolanin, Brisebois? 

6 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I disagree with your opinion on needing to start managing the workload of our top players already. Last year Miller and Demko only played one preseason game each and both came out incredibly flat and took a while to get going. Goalies especially need to start building routine and game action is very different from doing drills or having a buddy shoot on you in the summer. That doesn't mean we need to be dressing them every game, but they do need enough to knock the rust off.

Hopefully this was the last of the AHL/CHL roaster and we start rotating some vets in the rest of the games. Don't forget that we will also have 4 new defensemen in our starting 6 who need to start learning how to play together as well.

They will play in at least some of the last three game, all at home. Those guys coming out flat had a lot less to do with how many preseason games they had as opposed to how awful camp was, with all the chaos around when BB would be fired, and the complete lack of structure around the camp itself. The whole team started slow not thanks to who played or did not play in preseason as much as the chaos surrounding the team, the complete lack of expectations for players coming into camp, etc.

Well OEL had to be bought out.

This management is trying to build for the future and now.

That with the cap situation is harder to do then years past.

We would have had to add a player and 1st to trade him which meant buyout.

Edited by cripplereh

Coaching should put together hightlights of when he played "recklessly" as i remember he did before he came here, They're smart enough to break it down in a way that shows how it can be translated to NHL hockey. 

Apparently he's hung up on the systems thing, but 100% systematic makes you 100% predictable.  He needs the occasional bolt from the blue to make room for himself on the ice -- and the team. 

15 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I get that it enabled us to gain more cap space, which was quickly used up to hopefully improve the team's defense, but he was already here and could potentially have had a bounce back season, which would have taken care of the LD. Hughes, OEL, Wolanin, Brisebois? 

Not to mention it would have given us 2 less years on his buyout penalty when we're supposedly right in our contending window.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

What I got from last game was

Hirose wasn't a minus with ten goals against and broke up atleast 4 rushed that could have scored.

Irvin hit,fought and seemed ok.

Stud had good chances.

Rest can't say anything good

Hoglander had a decent outing, as did Räty

Juulsen Pods and Silovs were very disappointing and the rest were invisible 

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

My one older brother and I had the most intense ping pong battles ever. We would play for hours every evening and one of us would go to bed crying or wanting to knock the other ones teeth out. We would wake up the next morning uttering threats and preparing for another best of 21 after school. No matter how much we hated each other, he always had my back and never let me get picked on or get beat up by anyone other than him. 

• Cheers 1