[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

I do have a habit of misreading what people say and then pushing it into an interpretation that allows for me to respond aggressively to it.

Now that I think about it, it really isn’t all that healthy.  

once again… water under the bridge. We all get opportunities to learn to improve ourselves and at least you’re taking yours! 

Proud of you! 

4 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

My one older brother and I had the most intense ping pong battles ever. We would play for hours every evening and one of us would go to bed crying or wanting to knock the other ones teeth out. We would wake up the next morning uttering threats and preparing for another best of 21 after school. No matter how much we hated each other, he always had my back and never let me get picked on or get beat up by anyone other than him. 

That's awesome, and that's the way it is. That's what drives you forward to get better, no matter how difficult or painful it is at that time. 

2 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I don't know what paraphrase means.

Here let me help you!

par·a·phrase

/ˈperəˌfrāz/

verb

- express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.
"you can either quote or paraphrase literary texts"

synonyms: reword, rephrase, put/express in other words, put/express in one's own words, express differently, rewrite, rescript, restate, rehash, interpret, gloss

Educate Yourself Shooting Star GIF

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

That was truly a boys Vs. men game and certainly proved one thing - and that was that nearly all of our young prospects are not currently "up-to-snuff" to play in the NHL and likely why JR said last Thursday that "we should be a playoff team - IF - things go right"................because he knows what we saw last night - that those rookies will never save us if there are a string of injuries and we have little talent to fall back on - this, as a result of poor drafting for many years.  

I am not sure if my basketball experience is applicable here, but in my juniors years our coaches always arranged a game or two against much older teams during pre- season period

Worked pretty well from development perspective.

20 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

I disagree. Should Coranato (who has 1 nhl game under his belt) not tried for the hat trick?  He's there to show what he can do.  Period 

What are you really "showing" though?
When your opposition is what it is?
That you can be a hero against a vastly inferior team? 
A great young player for sure, and if that happened to be a young player on our side you know everyone would be planning the parade.
There's such a thing as context though, and it applied here. 
Meh, I'm not concerned at all about the result. It is what it is. I mean this has been a thing in hockey for decades. You don't run the score up. Period.
my 2 bits 

next!

5 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I am not sure if my basketball experience is applicable here, but in my juniors years our coaches always arranged a game or two against much older teams during pre- season period

Worked pretty well from development perspective.

I think basketball is different since they change possession each basket. So you get equal chance on offence/defence even if you get destroyed on the scoreboard. In hockey if you are really inferior.. you can get dominated and sit in ur end of the ice majority of the game and might not even touch the puck for a really long stretches 

2 minutes ago, HIWATT said:

What are you really "showing" though?
When your opposition is what it is?
That you can be a hero against a vastly inferior team? 
A great young player for sure, and if that happened to be a young player on our side you know everyone would be planning the parade.
There's such a thing as context though, and it applied here. 
Meh, I'm not concerned at all about the result. It is what it is. I mean this has been a thing in hockey for decades. You don't run the score up. Period.
my 2 bits 

next!

When you're trying to stand out and earn a job in the NHL you keep your foot on the gas.  It's not his problem.that Vancouver sent a weak lineup.  It's his job (and every other player trying to earn a job)  to showcase his skills.  I'm not a fan of running up the score in the regular sesdon. But this was a meaningless game that's played for the coaches to get a look at who might be able to earn a spot.  I have zero issue with Calgary pairing it on. They sat their top pp unit in favor of seeing what the kids could do.  I.think that's all you can ask 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I just want the management to treat the preseason a little more serious with the vets. In the last 4-5 years preseason the vets hardly played together with their regular line mates or d partner except the last game of the preseason and then they come out looking lost and still finding their chemistry the first 10 games of the season and we come out like 2-8 3-7 or whatever it was and really sunk the season. Yes I get it’s preseason we don’t want injury and such. That’s fine.. limit their ice time. They can play 12-13 mins. Practice all they want. It’s different when it comes to actual game situation 

Yeah, I hope this isn't the start of just tinkering without actually giving the main roster time to gel, and play together against other NHL rosters. I know it's pre-season, but it's still a good amount of games (whatever they are now) to get rhythm going, so they're off to the races when the actual season starts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think basketball is different since they change possession each basket. So you get equal chance on offence/defence even if you get destroyed on the scoreboard. In hockey if you are really inferior.. you can get dominated and sit in ur end of the ice majority of the game and might not even touch the puck for a really long stretches 

which is basically what happened against Calgary the other night. 

27 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

once again… water under the bridge. We all get opportunities to learn to improve ourselves and at least you’re taking yours! 

Proud of you! 

20 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Here let me help you!

par·a·phrase

/ˈperəˌfrāz/

verb

- express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.
"you can either quote or paraphrase literary texts"

synonyms: reword, rephrase, put/express in other words, put/express in one's own words, express differently, rewrite, rescript, restate, rehash, interpret, gloss

Educate Yourself Shooting Star GIF

Get a room already

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I guess it can all be tied to the nasty habit many keyboard warriors, politicians, Russian hackers, media outlets and the like use lately. If I can misrepresent what you say or think, then I can get off a bit on attacking your view (even if it isn't actually your view) and feel better about my own. 

I admit. It's something I need to be more careful about, and I will likely do some deep personal reflection in order to embitter myself for the future.

Again my friend... water under the bridge. Glad to see you coming so far so quickly! 

42 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

What I got from last game was

Hirose wasn't a minus with ten goals against and broke up atleast 4 rushed that could have scored.

Irvin hit,fought and seemed ok.

Stud had good chances.

Rest can't say anything good

Hirose was actually -1. There was a scoring error on the 6th goal. Hirose was on the ice but  the minus was (mis) attributed to Woo (#44 instead of #41).

In terms of underlying stats (expected goals for and against) the best Canuck D was McWard and that was how I saw it as well.

I agree that Studnicka looked good (and the underlying numbers agree).

And I liked Irwin as well, although he did look slow.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

When you're trying to stand out and earn a job in the NHL you keep your foot on the gas.  It's not his problem.that Vancouver sent a weak lineup.  It's his job (and every other player trying to earn a job)  to showcase his skills.  I'm not a fan of running up the score in the regular sesdon. But this was a meaningless game that's played for the coaches to get a look at who might be able to earn a spot.  I have zero issue with Calgary pairing it on. They sat their top pp unit in favor of seeing what the kids could do.  I.think that's all you can ask 

Yeah... they owe us nothing, and guys who are trying to make the team aren't going to take their foot off the gas in a game like that. Tuff to be on the other side of! 

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

Its easy to, in retrospect, question what was the point of this game, in Tocchet's decision to ice such a minor league roster.

The vibes and PR damage is on Tocchet then I would think. I don't care what your goals of a pre season game is, you don't want the score to be 10 nothing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Hirose was actually -1.

Trade him, now, before the league finds out about the minus.

asset management.

too bad, as that, even, was super impressive, given how the game went. Now I'm just really impressed, rather than super impressed.

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

I get that it enabled us to gain more cap space, which was quickly used up to hopefully improve the team's defense, but he was already here and could potentially have had a bounce back season, which would have taken care of the LD. Hughes, OEL, Wolanin, Brisebois? 

OEL was and would have still been a massive liability on the team.    He was beyond useless and ranked number #917 out of all 951 NHL Skaters last year at a whopping minus -24.  Possibly one of the worst trades in Canucks history.

8 minutes ago, QuantumBunk said:

Canuck management had one job. Don't get embarrassed at the start of the season. When they heard that Calgary was going to ice their NHL lineup, they should have played their NHL players too. This was a worst case scenario PR wise. 

one problem - it’s not the start of the season yet.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, QuantumBunk said:

The vibes and PR damage is on Tocchet then I would think. I don't care what your goals of a pre season game is, you don't want the score to be 10 nothing. 

Agree!  That is demorallizing for the team and depressing for fans.    That roster was like shooting fish in a barrel for Cgy.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

OEL was and would have still been a massive liability on the team.    He was beyond useless and ranked number #917 out of all 951 NHL Skaters last year at a whopping minus -24.  Possibly one of the worst trades in Canucks history.

R U SERIOUS? That was not a good trade, sure. But what you're talking about is last year. It was even dumber to buy him out than give him one more shot this year. 

20 minutes ago, QuantumBunk said:

Canuck management had one job. Don't get embarrassed at the start of the season. When they heard that Calgary was going to ice their NHL lineup, they should have played their NHL players too. This was a worst case scenario PR wise. 

That's true, but at this point I'd like to see them come back with the same line up in a rematch and see if anyone steps up in round 2.

• Like 1