[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

21 minutes ago, QuantumBunk said:

The vibes and PR damage is on Tocchet then I would think. I don't care what your goals of a pre season game is, you don't want the score to be 10 nothing. 

Well, I don't thing Tocchet wanted the score to be 10 - 0 either.   He may have assumed Calgary would not play almost their full NHL roster on the first preseason game of the year. Not many teams do that. 

32 minutes ago, kilgore said:

[Tocc] may have assumed Calgary would not play almost their full NHL roster

Thing is if the coaching staff were to go back in time knowing that I don't think the would choose their lineup any differently. Nor should they tbh.

Win or lose the org didn't care about the scoreboard-- It was about evaluating details of individual players games; basically a practice test for the depth guys.

Analyze what you did, what you need to do, what you did well, what you did poorly, and fix it. If you want to pass the final when it finally hits the table, you know what's required. Nothing more. Nothing less.

• Cheers 2

Wednesday can't come sooner. If they win the next game then we can stop talking about this 10-0 loss (including myself). I've been avoiding posting because I want to forget about it as much as some of you do. It is an embarrassing score no matter how you look at it. 

They better dress a half decent lineup up and win on Wednesday.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

I am not sure if my basketball experience is applicable here, but in my juniors years our coaches always arranged a game or two against much older teams during pre- season period

Worked pretty well from development perspective.

We should organize one against the old-timers league 65 and over. 

We might have a chance. 🤣

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Well, I don't thing Tocchet wanted the score to be 10 - 0 either.   He may have assumed Calgary would not play almost their full NHL roster on the first preseason game of the year. Not many teams do that. 

Live and learn I guess. Is there any rules of the road for these preseason games ? I think drubbing a team 10 nothing does some phycological damage. Maybe it was a plan by the Flames. Aren't you supposed to just play a B team ? 

Edited by QuantumBunk

58 minutes ago, Wing said:

Wednesday can't come sooner. If they win the next game then we can stop talking about this 10-0 loss (including myself). I've been avoiding posting because I want to forget about it as much as some of you do. It is an embarrassing score no matter how you look at it. 

They better dress a half decent lineup up and win on Wednesday.

It is a must win game. The only way to erase this 10 nil game is to win the next one.

2nd pre season game is already a must win. 

ohje-oh-man.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

i'm not sure if you have been paying attention across the league.. a good portion of the league's teams have been icing at least 1-2 lines from their first 3 lines and 1-2 pairs from their top 4 any combination across the league for their 1st game of the preseason and onward.. heck new jersey put out their superstar jack hughes for the first game of the preseason in a split squad on the road to boot.

of coz there are exceptions.. but that's usually when both teams are icing similar lineups of ahl players.. at the very least the game is some what competitive and you can actually evaluate players.. not when it's a completely blow out with players playing competition well above their league.. not much really to evaluate just a waste of time for everyone. sure young player love the opportunity to impress.. but where's the opportunity to impress when you are out against players that you have no hope of matching up against at this point of their career? 

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm not sure if you have been paying attention across the league.. a good portion of the league's teams have been icing at least 1-2 lines from their first 3 lines and 1-2 pairs from their top 4 any combination across the league for their 1st game of the preseason and onward.. heck new jersey put out their superstar jack hughes for the first game of the preseason in a split squad on the road to boot.

of coz there are exceptions.. but that's usually when both teams are icing similar lineups of ahl players.. at the very least the game is some what competitive and you can actually evaluate players.. not when it's a completely blow out with players playing competition well above their league.. not much really to evaluate just a waste of time for everyone. sure young player love the opportunity to impress.. but where's the opportunity to impress when you are out against players that you have no hope of matching up against at this point of their career? 

"where's the opportunity to impress when you are out against players that you have no hope of matching up against at this point of their career?"

That was my point.

And the Canucks management as a whole also wanted to see what the borderline and young players had, not just Tocchet. So they could also make the best decisions for the start of the season. But they didn't expect such a formidable stacked team. This wasn't just a pairing or two on Calgary's side, they also played Marky all game. Who I'm sure came out with a chip on his shoulder after last seasons playoffs. We didn't even play our NHL backup. 

The Canucks also may have overestimated what they had maybe based on how well they did in the Young Starts tournament.

A combination of things. But in the end, was a bit of a waste of time. Not completely. Hirose was an even +/- in a 10-0 drubbing. Hogz put in a good effort.  But that kind of mismatch kind of slew-footed the team from the drop of the puck. Too much of an outlier contest to gleen much for the coach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

"where's the opportunity to impress when you are out against players that you have no hope of matching up against at this point of their career?"

That was my point.

And the Canucks management as a whole also wanted to see what the borderline and young players had, not just Tocchet. So they could also make the best decisions for the start of the season. But they didn't expect such a formidable stacked team. This wasn't just a pairing or two on Calgary's side, they also played Marky all game. Who I'm sure came out with a chip on his shoulder after last seasons playoffs. We didn't even play our NHL backup. 

The Canucks also may have overestimated what they had maybe based on how well they did in the Young Starts tournament.

A combination of things. But in the end, was a bit of a waste of time. Not completely. Hirose was an even +/- in a 10-0 drubbing. Hogz put in a good effort.  But that kind of mismatch kind of slew-footed the team from the drop of the puck. Too much of an outlier contest to gleen much for the coach.

You could be right that maybe they over estimated the quality of the team they dressed. I don't think it's a waste at all though. The point of pre-season isn't to win games it's to audition players and get ready for the season. 23 players got a look and I'm sure the coaching staff saw things and were looking for all kinds of stuff. It's unfortunate no one really had a terrific showing but that's not really the coaches fault. The players themselves were just simply not up to the task. The rope for most of these players is now very short but we always knew someone would really have to step up to unseat the projected team. Most of our players are pretty much locks.

Kuz Petey Mik

Beau Miller Boeser

PDG Suter Garland

Joshua Blueger Hoglander

Studnicka

I would say Studnicka, Hoglander, PDG, and Podkolzin are basically battling for 3 spots, one being the 13th forward and one in Abby. I don't see anyone else breaking into the line-up.

Hughes Soucy

Cole Hronek

Irwin Myers

Wolanin Juulsen

Our top 6 D are pretty much locks 1 thru 5 with Irwin, Wolanin, Juulsen, Hirose, Brisbois, Woo all competing for spots 6-8 (with Irwin making it somewhere). Honestly that could be a weak spot this year. Any line with Myers has the potential to be chaotically horrendous. It wasn't viewer friendly but I'm sure it had some value to the team.

Soon enough we'll be playing real games that actually matter. Sure hope we get serious pretty darn quick here.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • ThereItIs 1