[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

22 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

We iced enough players who most of us expected to contend for NHL positions.  It was a measure of our prospect depth, and a sobering reality that a lot of them aren't NHL level yet.  Work ethic and effort go a long way in this league, especially in the preseason where opposing teams are still working on offensive systems and chemistry.

I'm going to try and at least take something out of this game - taking note of who played alright and who didn't.  That's the best anyone can do.  Even in the NBA there are individual metrics by which you can assess the bench players, regardless of competition.  I imagine those metrics don't look great for a lot of our players tonight.

The regulars on Calgary did not have a strong game.  Players like Nazem Kadri and Noah Hanifin aren't fighting for positions here.  They are simply trying to get back into hockey shape and improve fitness.  But some of our players were fighting for the open spots on the main squad, and a lot of them disppointed.  Even Flames fans think their team didn't play that well - they just think Vancouver played like crap and showed little effort.

Flames fans think their team didn't play that well? With Markstrom diving like it's the Cup finals and Uber Doo trying to prove something and them running the score? Lol you make it sound like the Lames are some super team. Wait til Oct 6th when they actually face the real Canucks team and not their AHL/ECHL farm team 

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

Well, I don't thing Tocchet wanted the score to be 10 - 0 either.   He may have assumed Calgary would not play almost their full NHL roster on the first preseason game of the year. Not many teams do that. 

Yeah I didn't even anticipate the Flames starting all their regulars on 1st day of preseason. I guess they have low expectations of their prospects making their team lol

4 hours ago, Wing said:

Wednesday can't come sooner. If they win the next game then we can stop talking about this 10-0 loss (including myself). I've been avoiding posting because I want to forget about it as much as some of you do. It is an embarrassing score no matter how you look at it. 

They better dress a half decent lineup up and win on Wednesday.

I don't really care about it. 95% of that team which lost 10-0 won't be on the Canucks regular roster. I would be worried if that was the score with our regular lineup 

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

This game was shown to the fans.

This was a bad show.

If the coaches and organization don't care about the score; don't show the game.

You play to win the game.

You play to win pre-season games??? I don't care much about Pre-season but I know the Flames and Oilers fan care about them. I only care about wins when it's Oct 11 and onwards. Before that, I don't care much 

27 minutes ago, RWJC said:

For those who believe preseason is a fair predictor of the coming season's fortunes, I hope this doesn't rub too much more salt in the wound...

image.thumb.png.4548dc903fdb36629a6279b0313c1856.png

You know preseason is a not a great indicator when OEL puts up 3 points and plays good defense 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

You might be surprised.

Despite the 10-0 shellacking that we received, Akito Hirose was not on the ice for any of the goals.  Not only that, but he had one of the highest ice-time totals and was also on the ice for a few of Calgary's PP's.  

Yep. Hirose was very good - still, it’s hard to be a beauty queen in an ugly contest. I thought Raty looked good - much more confident and focused than with Abby last year. His skating and strength appear to have improved also. Stinicka was okay, and Sutter and Hoglander showed what he had to show. Woo, Silovs, and Irwin better have short memories. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Defcon1 said:

Flames fans think their team didn't play that well? With Markstrom diving like it's the Cup finals and Uber Doo trying to prove something and them running the score? Lol you make it sound like the Lames are some super team. Wait til Oct 6th when they actually face the real Canucks team and not their AHL/ECHL farm team 

The $100,000 question is: Why do the Canucks use the pre-season to evaluate young players instead of getting the team ready for the regular season?

Instead, the Canucks will take 4 or 5 games of the regular season to "warm" up - meanwhile, other teams are ahead of them by 5 games or so.

• Cheers 3

11 hours ago, Defcon1 said:

NO one is saying Calgary has an elite team, but the team on the ice in the last game was clearly superior and the score showed it.

Pre season isn't designed for wins or losses its designed to evaluate players under specific conditions and to test their ability to handle pain, effort and commitment.

Edited by CanucksRookieFan

48 minutes ago, Heretic said:

The $100,000 question is: Why do the Canucks use the pre-season to evaluate young players instead of getting the team ready for the regular season?

Instead, the Canucks will take 4 or 5 games of the regular season to "warm" up - meanwhile, other teams are ahead of them by 5 games or so.

Because it's a smart move and one recommended by top brass. Last time I checked you as a casual fan don't understand the extreme intricacies of running an NHL franchise.

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Exactly this. Training camps and preseasons have been shortened to the point where I do think they should be reassessing the main priority of each. 

We're used to seeing a certain conventional approach and mindset with training camp and preseason but I do question whether the "auditioning" has contributed to slow starts.

It does feel like we should be building chemistry, getting known roster guys up to speed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

13 hours ago, Defcon1 said:

You play to win pre-season games??? I don't care much about Pre-season but I know the Flames and Oilers fan care about them. I only care about wins when it's Oct 11 and onwards. Before that, I don't care much 

I was watching the phglegms game vs the krackens last night (the game they lost 5-3) and their pbp guy was still hyped up about that 10-0 win and took ever opportunity to mention it during the broadcast. I lost count how many times he mentioned it and even his colour girl just ignored him every time he talked about it. 😂

2 hours ago, CanucksRookieFan said:

Because it's a smart move and one recommended by top brass. Last time I checked you as a casual fan don't understand the extreme intricacies of running an NHL franchise.

Casual fan???

Since the mid 70's?!?!??!

I don't identify as being casual lol!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Defcon1 said:

I don't really care about it. 95% of that team which lost 10-0 won't be on the Canucks regular roster. I would be worried if that was the score with our regular lineup 

At that point I wouldn't just be worrying but full on panic lol. But yes fair enough. I tried not to care as well for the obvious reasons. It's just a bit hard to look past an outcome like this after the kind of start the team has had for the past couple of seasons and how we've built up so much positivity in the off season. 

3 hours ago, CanucksRookieFan said:

He is right.

Look at our bad starts.Ore season was given to the young guys more then vets and we always start slow and it kills us early in the season.

Other teams put their full line up but maybe 2 spots for rookies and guess what they do better.

I have said this three times now 2 games max for youngsters unless they really stand out.Rest if the games get our starters chemistry and yes I have played/coached so know it's the BEST thing to do.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

He is right.

Look at our bad starts.Ore season was given to the young guys more then vets and we always start slow and it kills us early in the season.

Other teams put their full line up but maybe 2 spots for rookies and guess what they do better.

I have said this three times now 2 games max for youngsters unless they really stand out.Rest if the games get our starters chemistry and yes I have played/coached so know it's the BEST thing to do.

No doubt hey. I always guess at why you got your user name. That was some crippler sh!t eh? 😆

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. Training camps and preseasons have been shortened to the point where I do think they should be reassessing the main priority of each. 

We're used to seeing a certain conventional approach and mindset with training camp and preseason but I do question whether the "auditioning" has contributed to slow starts.

It does feel like we should be building chemistry, getting known roster guys up to speed. 

You could do that in old days where training camp used to be 3-4 weeks long and now it's just 2 1/2 weeks.   4 days of training camp plus 2 weeks of preseason games.  Maybe it's time for them to reevaluate the strategy of preparedness.    That is the reason why Tocchet wanted them to come to the city early and skate together.   I think the strategy of having AHL vs NHL might work because that way, you can select the few that stand out then will practice together with top guys and start the chemistry fright away with 5 more preseason games.

• Cheers 1