[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

You could do that in old days where training camp used to be 3-4 weeks long and now it's just 2 1/2 weeks.   4 days of training camp plus 2 weeks of preseason games.  Maybe it's time for them to reevaluate the strategy of preparedness.    That is the reason why Tocchet wanted them to come to the city early and skate together.   I think the strategy of having AHL vs NHL might work because that way, you can select the few that stand out then will practice together with top guys and start the chemistry fright away with 5 more preseason games.

I like the idea of having both camps separate - AHL and NHL - and then having an AHL vs NHL mini-preseason before the actual preseason.

There's something to that, I think. 

• Cheers 2

damn.. anaheim are really getting a look at some players on their team lol.. Regenda 35+ mins hagg 34+ mins warren 34+ mins.. and i love this guys name Chase de Leo 31+mins compliments Leo Carlsson's name perfectly 28+ mins those mins you woulda thought that was a playoff game and it went into a 20min OT or something lol

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

He is right.

Look at our bad starts.Ore season was given to the young guys more then vets and we always start slow and it kills us early in the season.

Other teams put their full line up but maybe 2 spots for rookies and guess what they do better.

I have said this three times now 2 games max for youngsters unless they really stand out.Rest if the games get our starters chemistry and yes I have played/coached so know it's the BEST thing to do.

To speculate its "best" to play vets over youngsters in pre season is one thing but to say it's the best definitive option is quite another.

You have to respect the process AND respect the fact that Canucks have some of the highest paid and qualified coaching staff in the league. You cant be serious to suggest you know something better than what they can do, they are clearly doing what's best for the club. If coming out slow out of the gates due to the development time given to youngers in pre season is accepted then it's for a damn good reason. Coming out slow isn't such a big deal as developing fierce competition and compliance from the young guys.

Sorry but again respect the coaches at NHL level they are millionaires and are in high demand because of their ability to strategize each step of the game so cut them some slack stop being backseat drivers.

38 minutes ago, CanucksRookieFan said:

To speculate its "best" to play vets over youngsters in pre season is one thing but to say it's the best definitive option is quite another.

You have to respect the process AND respect the fact that Canucks have some of the highest paid and qualified coaching staff in the league. You cant be serious to suggest you know something better than what they can do, they are clearly doing what's best for the club. If coming out slow out of the gates due to the development time given to youngers in pre season is accepted then it's for a damn good reason. Coming out slow isn't such a big deal as developing fierce competition and compliance from the young guys.

Sorry but again respect the coaches at NHL level they are millionaires and are in high demand because of their ability to strategize each step of the game so cut them some slack stop being backseat drivers.

Hahaha ok so let me get this straight.

I say my opinion and you call me a backseat driver.I never said anything about anything you said.Guess these boards are for people like yourself then and nothing else matters.

I see a problem with this team over years and say what I think would help as successful teams do.That itself is a great opinion in my books.

7 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. Training camps and preseasons have been shortened to the point where I do think they should be reassessing the main priority of each. 

We're used to seeing a certain conventional approach and mindset with training camp and preseason but I do question whether the "auditioning" has contributed to slow starts.

It does feel like we should be building chemistry, getting known roster guys up to speed. 

Exactly. Unless some prospect is really pushing it and making a name for himself, then get to it. Having said that, as horrific as the first game was, if anything, start icing the "real" team to build chemistry. 

• Cheers 1

• Ribs unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • Jess locked this topic