[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | May 8th, 7:00PM PT | Round 2, Game 1 (Series tied 0-0)

IMO the biggest key to this series is how well the Canucks can smother the Oil.  A well timed big hit by big Z etc would be nice but mucking up the Oilers break out/forecheck is gonna be a huge factor.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Fuck is it annoying hearing Drance gas up the Oilers all day. 

Not very bright, is he. Took me years to even tolerate his stuff, then he speaks of the enemy as a friend, dummy! 

Just now, AngryGoose said:

IMO the biggest key to this series is how well the Canucks can smother the Oil.  A well timed big hit by big Z etc would be nice but mucking up the Oilers break out/forecheck is gonna be a huge factor.

agreed. and i think the Oilers will come out flying

key for the Canucks to hold their ground because the Oilers definitely want to prove something today. hold the fort and capitalize on their mistakes .... the Oilers cheat a lot and love to run & gun off the rush. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

There's a cure for that 

Be Quiet Go Away GIF by Ryn Dean

why anybody would listen to that know-nothing flap his gums is beyond me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, tas said:

why anybody would listen to that know-nothing flap his gums is beyond me. 

Drance has nothing on that Edmonton goofball that was trying to explain why Bouchard is as good as Hughes.

🤣

Like seriously wtf? HAHA!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

That kinda only works when you're leading.  If you do that when you're losing, pretty sure the joke would be on us lol

Then we lead. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

100%........there are few things more frustrating than that.  The Oilers are going to use every trick in the book to goad Van into taking undisciplined penalties to get their PP on the ice or even go 4v4.  

Kane and Perry will lose their minds if Van just skates away and laughs at them.  That's how you turn the tables and control the emotion of the series.  

Trying to prove something is a recipe for disaster imo.

It never hurts to try

5 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Drance has nothing on that Edmonton goofball that was trying to explain why Bouchard is as good as Hughes.

🤣

Like seriously wtf? HAHA!

While I completely agree, Bouchard did get 82 points this year 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

apropos of nothing, if we needed any more evidence that "don't you" is a killer goal song, it's the only goal song the canucks have ever had (that ANYBODY'S ever had) that will randomly pop into my head a day or two after a game, when my body knows it's time for more hockey. 

i hope to hear it 7 times tonight. 

Sk7nner.

7 hours ago, CaribouCanuck said:

So Connor Garland is going to repeatedly punch McDavid in the face!? 🥳

Works for me!  Super humiliating.

Chicklets all over the ice.

Memories of Stan Jonathan vs Pierre Bouchard: (link is worth it but I'll try to embed another)

https://www.facebook.com/BeerBellyOfficial/videos/-stan-jonathan-vs-pierre-bouchard-on-may-21st-1978-scrappy-bruin-stan-jonathan-t/236286546892914/ 

This one in the spoiler is long, but man, it shows what the playoffs used to be like:

Spoiler

This one might be shot & sweet (like Garland and Jonathan?):  (If you click on "Watch on You Tube" it should go to a 3 or 4 minute viddy:

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

I've literally told you I've agreed with you with your point of staying disciplined, but do you not think there are circumstances where you absolutely need to stand up for your teammates?  The downfall of so many previous Canucks teams was the lack of team toughness.  Particularly in the playoffs.  You're literally saying we should walk down the same path we've done for decades.  

Myself and others here actually can admit that others opinions may be valid.  You've been called out by plenty of others on here about your stubbornness and how you get stuck on your ideas and can't deviate from them.  Even admitting to that aspect alone is impossible for you.  So no, I'm far from a hypocrit in this case.

It's playoff hockey. 

To skate away from altercations when we have such a strong tough team is ridiculous.that's when we can win the game within the game. 

It sounds like someone's never watched playoff hockey before. 

Things that get called for penalties are mainly hooks and slashes that take away a scoring chance during the course of the play. After that, it would be the dangerous plays like high sticking and hits from behind. Refs very rarely single out a player during an after whistle scrum to give another team a power play. 70 percent of the time, its no penalties and then 25 percent of the time, its offsetting minors if things get too aggressive. 

Im blown away by the meekness of some here. Vancouver will not win if we play that way and no RT coaches team will play that way so I know I don't even have to worry about that. Thank God

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I completely agree, Bouchard did get 82 points this year 

For sure!
He certainly isn’t chopped liver.  He’s also nowhere near the level of Hughes.  Both offensively and defensively.

If you swapped them 1 for 1 then Edmonton instantly becomes cup favourites while Vancouver is… less encouraging.