[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | May 8th, 7:00PM PT | Round 2, Game 1 (Series tied 0-0)

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It's playoff hockey. 

To skate away from altercations when we have such a strong tough team is ridiculous.that's when we can win the game within the game. 

It sounds like someone's never watched playoff hockey before. 

Things that get called for penalties are mainly hooks and slashes that take away a scoring chance during the course of the play. After that, it would be the dangerous plays like high sticking and hits from behind. Refs very rarely single out a player during an after whistle scrum to give another team a power play. 70 percent of the time, its no penalties and then 25 percent of the time, its offsetting minors if things get too aggressive. 

Im blown away by the meekness of some here. Vancouver will not win if we play that way and no RT coaches team will play that way so I know I don't even have to worry about that. Thank God

I couldn’t agree more.  
Folks here have ptsd from the bubble Myers getting penalties.  
IMO, the turn the other cheek, get them on the PP thing is an epic failure, and a perfect way to look like a team of weaklings.  
No team has ever won the cup by playing nice.  
Id love to see us beat the shit out of the oilers.  
If we lose and they move on, I want them to be too hurt to have a chance next round.  

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

somebody recently posted both teams' records in the last 30 games and there was 2 points difference. 

Yeah this is what I don't get. 

Oilers are the biggest pretenders

They had a 16 game win streak playing desperation hockey against the easiest schedule. 

Did you know they only played 4 playoff teams during that entire span? Did you know 3 of the 4 playoff teams played their backup? 

Itll be hilarious when we knock them out this round. All the pundits that picked Oilers will panic because they fell for the pretenders. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

57 minutes ago, Blue said:

Fuck is it annoying hearing Drance gas up the Oilers all day. 

All socials have been , in a word , Vile this week. Everyone lining up to congratulate the oil for taking care of Vancouver and the extra hate back and forth 

18 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

For sure!
He certainly isn’t chopped liver.  He’s also nowhere near the level of Hughes.  Both offensively and defensively.

If you swapped them 1 for 1 then Edmonton instantly becomes cup favourites while Vancouver is… less encouraging.

Hes not, but he's not as far off as people think.  They're definitely different players and impact the game in different ways, but we can't pretend that Bouchard isn't someone the Canucks have to seriously deal with.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I couldn’t agree more.  
Folks here have ptsd from the bubble Myers getting penalties.  
IMO, the turn the other cheek, get them on the PP thing is an epic failure, and a perfect way to look like a team of weaklings.  
No team has ever won the cup by playing nice.  
Id love to see us beat the shit out of the oilers.  
If we lose and they move on, I want them to be too hurt to have a chance next round.  

Exactly

We should be kicking the crap out of them every chance we get to the point they don't want to be involved anymore and skate away when they get a chance. 

As much as it sucked, look what happened to EP. Guy was pretty disengaged last round. They got to him. 

Look what happened to Hughes? I believe he played lower minutes many nights because he was taking a lot of abuse. He still produced but he was dishing the puck faster to avoid getting hit and didn't log as many minutes. 

Imagine an Oilers team where Mcdavid logs less minutes and gets rid of the puck faster to avoid hits. That's what we need to do. 

We pretty much need to take the EP and Hughes treatment from last round and do it to Mcdavid. 

We beat the Preds because we are a deeper and better team. Oilers don't have the same depth we do. They are in trouble if we keep going after Mcdavid. 

RT is on the same page with Colin Campbell. Glad they had a talk. I don't see the canucks getting penalized for playing that way this round. 

• Cheers 1

Keys to winning this series:

-  Silovs continues his excellent play

-  Bottom 4 defense pairings continue their dominant play  (they upped their play and more than compensated for Hughes' suppression by Nashville forwards in the first round)

-  Getting Pettersson going.  This is not just on Pettersson... it requires that Tocchet puts a decent winger with him to replace Mikheyev.  Hoglander can stay on the line as a shooter, but Pettersson needs a playmaker/passer/shooter on his line to be creative with.  First choice Lindholm, but if for some bizarre reason Tocchet doesn't want to do that, then it should probably be Garland.

Without all three of these factors addressed or maintained, the team's chances to advance are much lower.

39 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Drance has nothing on that Edmonton goofball that was trying to explain why Bouchard is as good as Hughes.

🤣

Like seriously wtf? HAHA!

A few years ago they were trying to make the same argument for Bear.  Then they ran him out of town ...

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I completely agree, Bouchard did get 82 points this year 

was listening to a scout saying the Canucks should try to target Bouchard in his own zone whenever possible, make him play the puck in his own zone. Will be interesting to see if thats a thing tonight. 

32 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Works for me!  Super humiliating.

Chicklets all over the ice.

Memories of Stan Jonathan vs Pierre Bouchard: (link is worth it but I'll try to embed another)

https://www.facebook.com/BeerBellyOfficial/videos/-stan-jonathan-vs-pierre-bouchard-on-may-21st-1978-scrappy-bruin-stan-jonathan-t/236286546892914/ 

This one in the spoiler is long, but man, it shows what the playoffs used to be like:

Reveal hidden contents

This one might be shot & sweet (like Garland and Jonathan?):  (If you click on "Watch on You Tube" it should go to a 3 or 4 minute viddy:

I just watched and man what a scrap!. You definitely don’t see fights get that violent in the NHL any more. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

was listening to a scout saying the Canucks should try to target Bouchard in his own zone whenever possible, make him play the puck in his own zone. Will be interesting to see if thats a thing tonight. 

That's definitely his Achilles heel and where he can be exploited........the whole d corp really.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yup we need our forecheckers to hit him hard everytime he retrieves the puck. 

I still think Ekholm is their only good D

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I completely agree, Bouchard did get 82 points this year 

If it's deemed that Hronek benefited from Hughes, then I assure you that Bouchard benefited from Mcdavid, Draisatl, and Hyman.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If we put Juulsen on the wing, Ya we could.

Screenshot_20240506_194411_Facebook.jpg

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If it's deemed that Hronek benefited from Hughes, then I assure you that Bouchard benefited from Mcdavid, Draisatl, and Hyman.  

Bouchard does not have the same amazing agility that Huggy has. He's on a level all his own for defenders in how he can calmly dance the puck out of our end eluding those trying to strip him of the puck. No panic and he's just special to watch.

I don't care about Boushart but he never catches my attention with brilliance. I'll be sure to watch for it.

• Like 1