[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | May 8th, 7:00PM PT | Round 2, Game 1 (Series tied 0-0)

Just now, stawns said:

That's the kind of mindset that's going to lead to retaliation penalties.  They absolutely cannot do anything undisciplined to give them more PP time than they're already going to get.

You're equating being disciplined to being intimidate.  It's not the same thing

Again, I refer you back to 2011.  The Canucks were not intimidated, but the Bruins sure got a lot of momentum and energy out of making the Canucks leaders look like punching bags out there.  How do you think it made the rest of the Canucks feel having one of their leaders being punched in the face and not standing up for themselves?  

• Like 2

Just now, stawns said:

Are you saying the Oilers are nasty like the Bruins?  I don't see thst

Just need one or two... Corey Perry and Evander Kane come to mind.  Nobody said to punch back, but grabbing their jersey and pulling them in close for a nice chat shows you're not gonna stand for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Again, I refer you back to 2011.  The Canucks were not intimidated, but the Bruins sure got a lot of momentum and energy out of making the Canucks leaders look like punching bags out there.  How do you think it made the rest of the Canucks feel having one of their leaders being punched in the face and not standing up for themselves?  

Again, you think this Oilers team are intimidating, physically?

They're going to do anything they can to goad the Canucks into retaliation penalties 

• Confused 2

Really interested if Canucks want this game to be locked down and non free wheeling.   Nashville series while stressful was good for the lessons learned as other than the 1 - 0 game Edmonton won over LA uncertain whether Edmonton really has the close checking game in them.  My gut tells me go with close checking as their free wheeling players will not be happy and not accustomed to that.. if however they get first goal or two..could be a long night as they clearly always pile on after getting up on a team...playoff hockey folks..all the best

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, you think this Oilers team are intimidating, physically?

They're going to do anything they can to goad the Canucks into retaliation penalties 

I already replied to that question above.

The Preds threw themselves in front of a lot of Canucks shots in that first round, blocking a lot and wearing down in the process. I'm not sure if the Oilers play the same way, do they try to block everything or do they rely on Skinner?  Keep firing those pucks Canucks, and if you "accidentally" injure an Oiler standing in the way. So be it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

The Preds threw themselves in front of a lot of Canucks shots in that first round, blocking a lot and wearing down in the process. I'm not sure if the Oilers play the same way, do they try to block everything or do they rely on Skinner?  Keep firing those pucks Canucks, and if you "accidentally" injure an Oiler standing in the way. So be it.

they did block a lot of shots vs LA, so we need to not be afraid to fire shots into guys waiting for a perfect lane. 

2 minutes ago, testycal said:

Really interested if Canucks want this game to be locked down and non free wheeling.   Nashville series while stressful was good for the lessons learned as other than the 1 - 0 game Edmonton won over LA uncertain whether Edmonton really has the close checking game in them.  My gut tells me go with close checking as their free wheeling players will not be happy and not accustomed to that.. if however they get first goal or two..could be a long night as they clearly always pile on after getting up on a team...playoff hockey folks..all the best

You NEVER play free wheeling hockey with Edm; they will kill you. You play lockdown on their top 2 lines and forecheck like mad; make their meh defense make mistakes and capitalize. If you play that game and stay out of the box, you win.

Edm has 2 elite things; their top line and their PP. IF you minimize the damage those two do (cant stop them), you have a very good chance of winning. This series is a 50/50 split in my opinion, with the elephant in the room being officiating. Unfortunately we saw Edm get the weak ass calls in 1st series, so I think that will tilt the games in their favour.

• Cheers 4

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Just need one or two... Corey Perry and Evander Kane come to mind.  Nobody said to punch back, but grabbing their jersey and pulling them in close for a nice chat shows you're not gonna stand for it.

What's that going to do?  Do you think the oilers are going to say "boy, don't mess with them"?

Who are the guys that are going to stand up?  Miller, Zad, Myers, Soucy, Joshua.........the oilers would be more than happy taking those guys off the ice with Kane or Perry and letting McD and Drai go 4v4.

You play hard between whistles and when the play is stopped you don't give them anything.  "Standing up to them" plays right into their hands, imo.  They need to keep this series 5v5 as much as possible 

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

They rely on Skinner; that's why he is either the villain or savior each night depending on how he plays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

What's that going to do?  Do you think the oilers are going to say "boy, don't mess with them"?

Who are the guys that are going to stand up?  Miller, Zad, Myers, Soucy, Joshua.........the oilers would be more than happy taking those guys off the ice with Kane or Perry and letting McD and Drai go 4v4.

You play hard between whistles and when the play is stopped you don't give them anything, imo.  "Standing up to them" plays right into their hands, imo.  They need to keep this series 5v5 as much as possible 

I'd like to see big Z just land a hard clean hit on old man Perry. Do that enough and he'll be a non-factor. 

• Haha 1

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

They rely on Skinner; that's why he is either the villain or savior each night depending on how he plays.

Might be good to plug Zadorov in front for the screen, create some havoc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Skinner is no Saros, who was incredible. 

• Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd like to see big Z just land a hard clean hit on old man Perry. Do that enough and he'll be a non-factor. 

He's a non factor already because he cant skate anymore. Let him try to be the tough guy, then expose him. As Bieksa said back in the day " What do you do when one of toughest guys in the league that can't skate challenges you to a fight? You polite fully decline, then skate around him and score"...not that I'm saying Perry is even tough!

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Might be good to plug Zadorov in front for the screen, create some havoc.

Based on the success in odd man situations in the last series, me's thinks that may actually come to fruition.

Just now, Bob Long said:

100% agree.  Good, clean hard hockey during play and skate away after the whistle.  You don't have to "take" anything........don't even give them the chance with a scrum etc.  

If were talking about 2011, then that's what the Canucks tried to do.......get the Bruins to take penalties after the whistles yo let their potent pp control the series.  When it didn't work, the Canucks got frustrated and fell apart 

• Cheers 3

JT Miller will be on McDavid this whole series. They don't like each other. It will differ a little after the first two games in Vancouver, but not much / last change.

If Miller takes that role to heart, we need Pettersson to be outstanding and Lindholm as well. My mind has a hard time comprehending how much ice time

Quinn Hughes is going to throw down.

We have Myers and Zadorov to do the intimidating and handle any fisticuffs that are needed. I see 0 reason to be afraid of the Slicks

• Like 1