[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | May 8th, 7:00PM PT | Round 2, Game 1 (Series tied 0-0)

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's that going to do?  Do you think the oilers are going to say "boy, don't mess with them"?

Who are the guys that are going to stand up?  Miller, Zad, Myers, Soucy, Joshua.........the oilers would be more than happy taking those guys off the ice with Kane or Perry and letting McD and Drai go 4v4.

You play hard between whistles and when the play is stopped you don't give them anything.  "Standing up to them" plays right into their hands, imo.  They need to keep this series 5v5 as much as possible 

It's not about what the Oilers do or don't do.  It's about what this Canucks team does.  Standing there and getting punched in the face and not doing anything about it sets a tone whether you want to believe it or not.  There's a reason we are still talking about that moment 13 years later.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

JT Miller will be on McDavid this whole series. They don't like each other. It will differ a little after the first two games in Vancouver, but not much / last change.

If Miller takes that role to heart, we need Pettersson to be outstanding and Lindholm as well. My mind has a hard time comprehending how much ice time

Quinn Hughes is going to throw down.

We have Myers and Zadorov to do the intimidating and handle any fisticuffs that are needed. I see 0 reason to be afraid of the Slicks

I think it will be Lindholm honestly. That frees up JT to drive offense of the 1st line. This is really where the Lindholm signing should pay off.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Can't play afraid. 

Absolutely.  My one concern is that we're going to try to repeat the formula we used against Nashville and end up permanently on the defensive.  We need to keep our structure and have a collectively plan for McDavid but also move the puck quickly and get in on the forecheck.  "Defence wins championships" won't work against this team.  L.A. tried that and look where they are. 

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

JT Miller will be on McDavid this whole series. They don't like each other. It will differ a little after the first two games in Vancouver, but not much / last change.

If Miller takes that role to heart, we need Pettersson to be outstanding and Lindholm as well. My mind has a hard time comprehending how much ice time

Quinn Hughes is going to throw down.

We have Myers and Zadorov to do the intimidating and handle any fisticuffs that are needed. I see 0 reason to be afraid of the Slicks

I think most pundits feel Miller will be put on Drai and Lindholm on McD.  I'm not sure I trust Miller to stay emotionally disciplined enough with McD........I think he'd try to goad McD into getting off his game and it would backfire, but I do think he could do it against Drai, who gets frustrated much easier

• Wiener 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd like to see big Z just land a hard clean hit on old man Perry. Do that enough and he'll be a non-factor. 

Perry gonna need a hip replacement 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

100% agree.  Good, clean hard hockey during play and skate away after the whistle.  You don't have to "take" anything........don't even give them the chance with a scrum etc.  

It may not be fair or in the spirit of playoff hockey but we need to be the cleaner team, because the oilies are going to get some weak calls at some point 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

If were talking about 2011, then that's what the Canucks tried to do.......get the Bruins to take penalties after the whistles yo let their potent pp control the series.  When it didn't work, the Canucks got frustrated and fell apart 

Tbh I don't think there's any relevant comp with 2011, this team isn't built the same way 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's not about what the Oilers do or don't do.  It's about what this Canucks team does.  Standing there and getting punched in the face and not doing anything about it sets a tone whether you want to believe it or not.  There's a reason we are still talking about that moment 13 years later.  

Again, you skate to the bench when the whistle blows and you don't even engage after the play is over.  Scrums after whistle are much much better for the Oilers than the Canucks and I think the Oilers will be doing it at every opportunity.  If the Canucks refuse to engage, they control the emotion of the series

It's is to the Canucks advantage to make this series as boring and uneventful as they can.

Just now, Bob Long said:

It may not be fair or in the spirit of playoff hockey but we need to be the cleaner team, because the oilies are going to get some weak calls at some point 

Tbh I don't think there's any relevant comp with 2011, this team isn't built the same way 

I agree, but the Canucks built a pp to control outcomes and that was a big part of their strategy and success, same with the Oilers.  When the Canucks couldn't get that advantage in the finals, they collapsed.

I think the Oilers will do the same if the Canucks keep it 5v5

Just now, stawns said:

Again, you skate to the bench when the whistle blows and you don't even engage after the play is over.  Scrums after whistle are much much better for the Oilers than the Canucks and I think the Oilers will be doing it at every opportunity.  If the Canucks refuse to engage, they control the emotion of the series

It's is to the Canucks advantage to make this series as boring and uneventful as they can.

Again, unlike you, I actually agree with some of your opinions like this one.  You're just difficult to converse with because you get set on your ways and can never see anything else.  For example, puck is fired on net and Silovs makes the save.  4 Oilers come into the crease and go after our defencemen and get into Silovs face.  So your recommendation is to just skate away and leave Silovs standing there on his own?  Way to back up your teammates there bud.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Be relentless on the boards, be disciplined, etc. pretty much what Tocc has prepared then for all year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Plans don't always work out, Thomas got hot and our PP not so much, had everything been as it was , Boston fans would be upset with Boston for taking needless penalties and Canucks winning with pp, That play you mention was ridiculous by the refs, they didn't want to get Canucks a PP , and were waiting for Sedin to make one attempt before calling them both for penalties

8 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Absolutely.  My one concern is that we're going to try to repeat the formula we used against Nashville and end up permanently on the defensive.  We need to keep our structure and have a collectively plan for McDavid but also move the puck quickly and get in on the forecheck.  "Defence wins championships" won't work against this team.  L.A. tried that and look where they are. 

The Oilers pp dismantled the Kings pk, that's what made the difference imo.

11 hours ago, Roberts said:

logo2.gif.fe6948cc10f823d924a333dd290fbafd.gifversus.gif.585c7e9f904a996a7f56e34c43d4fd8d.gifOilers GIFs | Tenor

VANCOUVER CANUCKS VS. EDMONTON OILERS - ROUND 2, GAME 1 (SERIES TIED 0-0)

divider1.gif.238769c6471ab2c85876689be599e6ef.gif

VANCOUVER CANUCKS LINEUP

image.png.c3bd83ccc257794bfc3c4ab7c4c979db.png

image.png.b432832b32f84c77df7ee9d30fcecc9a.png

image.png.fcaaf4f0b7edfdf3c17dfeb491fda0a9.png

no idea Archives - Reaction GIFs

EDMONTON OILERS LINEUP

image.png.51e2ae31109eaf06ff30821631de1b8b.png

image.png.62e8fcf0677df1af870f7bf26e3b68e0.png

image.png.06a40263ed21338a89a98cb78ef94fd8.png

OCT. 11TH, 2023 HIGHLIGHTS

OCT. 14TH, 2023 - HIGHLIGHTS

NOV. 6TH, 2023 - HIGHLIGHTS

APR. 13TH, 2024 - HIGHLIGHTS

TIME & PLACE

img_3456.png.e13501a99904d37c326356ea9f339fbc.png ezgif-1-cc13dfbc89.gif.f24771cf5899533b42418881ed8cf0e1.gif

WATCH & LISTEN

Sportsnet_pacific.png.bc3ac00b11ba0213d2ee3cf048b385ab.png

sportsnet650logo.thumb.png.04a2933081a08e7e42a18437a94dc9f5.png

2024 PLAYOFF BRACKET

image.thumb.png.199c315eb25e47497fc1d6ba2e5a32bd.png

tumblr_ljq4x7YSzS1qgn67jo1_500(1).gif.4f0d9321d7eaa6a7c2a8b2db5e37f7ae.gif

ALL TOGETHER! ALL IN! GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!

av-35299.gif

With @Roberts in the driving seat for GDT we are golden... We'll win tonight. Book it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ballisticsports said:

Plans don't always work out, Thomas got hot and our PP not so much, had everything been as it was , Boston fans would be upset with Boston for taking needless penalties and Canucks winning with pp, That play you mention was ridiculous by the refs, they didn't want to get Canucks a PP , and were waiting for Sedin to make one attempt before calling them both for penalties

But it didn't work out. Our PP was not enough. We were coaxed into playing physical hockey when we weren't built for it and lost.  The Oilers are not built to play physical.  If they try and retaliate against our physicality, it'll cost them the same way it did the 2011 Canucks.  Exert ourselves physically and I guarantee you the Oilers will TRY to do the same.  These are men hopped up with testosterone.  It's literally in their nature to fight back.

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

This is the way

Say what you will about PDG and whether he should be in the lineup, the guy is not afraid to grab guys after the whistle and stand up for teammates. 

Even for guys like Miller who don’t need the help. Like givin McDavid that extra shove after the Miller altercation.

He’s also thrown quite a few hits this playoffs. Maybe not the most punishing, but he’s engaged in the physical parts of the game.

Loved seeing him wrestle McWhiner to the ground. I can’t get over how soft McDavid is. He acts so offended when people play him hard, like it’s not allowed; pouting toward the ref.

Miller is gonna be a beast against McDavid, get under his skin, play him physically. Get him frustrated and making mistakes.

Big Game tonight, but it’s a long series. I want to see a physical effort, slow the pace of the game down to our speed, and grind out a win tonight.

I got family at the game, so I know it’ll be loud in there!

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Again, unlike you, I actually agree with some of your opinions like this one.  You're just difficult to converse with because you get set on your ways and can never see anything else.  For example, puck is fired on net and Silovs makes the save.  4 Oilers come into the crease and go after our defencemen and get into Silovs face.  So your recommendation is to just skate away and leave Silovs standing there on his own?  Way to back up your teammates there bud.

And what does getting in a sctum change there?  Do you think that'll stop the Oikers from doing it again.  You box guys out during the play and when the whistle blows, you skate away.  Do you think the Oilers are just going to sit there and manhandle the goalie after the whistle if the Canucks don't engage?  They'd look pretty stupid and would like get penalties themselves

How am I any more set in my ways and difficult to converse with than you? I don't see you considering any other perspective other than your own.  You see it youf way and I have no issue with that at all.  Yet you have an issue with me seeing it my way.

Don't be such a hypocrite 

9 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I see what you're saying. The things is, though, we can't match them in loose, free-wheeling offense either.  We do need to contain them and shut down their top two lines as much as possible. Hughes and Hronek should help in leading our transition game and getting on the forecheck quickly.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Oilers pp dismantled the Kings pk, that's what made the difference imo.

Yes, but a lot of the penalties resulted from constantly being on the defensive, which is a bad game plan against the Coil. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

And what does getting in a sctum change there?  Do you think that'll stop the Oikers from doing it again.  You box guys out during the play and when the whistle blows, you skate away.  Do you think the Oilers are just going to sit there and manhandle the goalie after the whistle if the Canucks don't engage?  They'd look pretty stupid and would like get penalties themselves

How am I any more set in my ways and difficult to converse with than you? I don't see you considering any other perspective other than your own.  You see it youf way and I have no issue with that at all.  Yet you have an issue with me seeing it my way.

Don't be such a hypocrite 

I've literally told you I've agreed with you with your point of staying disciplined, but do you not think there are circumstances where you absolutely need to stand up for your teammates?  The downfall of so many previous Canucks teams was the lack of team toughness.  Particularly in the playoffs.  You're literally saying we should walk down the same path we've done for decades.  

Myself and others here actually can admit that others opinions may be valid.  You've been called out by plenty of others on here about your stubbornness and how you get stuck on your ideas and can't deviate from them.  Even admitting to that aspect alone is impossible for you.  So no, I'm far from a hypocrit in this case.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yes, but a lot of the penalties resulted from constantly being on the defensive, which is a bad game plan against the Coil. 

Yup, be aggressive and forecheck hard.  Defence will start from the Oilers zone.

• Vintage 1