[PGT] Edmonton at Vancouver ~ Round 2 - Game 1

13 hours ago, AngryGoose said:

Also big shout to Sportsnet for cutting to the stunned outdoor EDM camera shortly after Garland’s goal 😆

Does anyone have a clip of this, as I missed it

We shouldn’t get cocky after the win last night. We were the better team for majority of the game but at the same time we benefitted a lot from luck. Silov was shaky but we were lucky skinner couldn’t save a beach ball last night but a lot of those goals if not all were soft at best. The ref worked in our favour last night 3-1 of coz there were couple missed call like cross check on Hughes etc but oilers definitely got no calls either.. and given how scary their power play was? 1 extra call early coulda sunk us. We also need better disicipline on our part. That too many man call soucy coulda just let the puck go and Cole needed to be better in the game. As for EP I don’t know what else to say. He was average at best last night. But I have more concerns about his linemates and their lack of offensive awareness.. multiple times hoglander could have gotten the puck up to ep for a clear chance.. I don’t think he knows he was there and turned around passed it to no one and turned it over and his passing accuracy seems pretty awful. I’m ready to bench hoglander or mik for podz at this point or swap them down the lineup and replace pdg coz hoglander have been completely neutered in the first series and 1st game so far. Benching ep is not really an option 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Miller stoned McDavid all night, we owned the puck in the offensive zone for a lot of his shifts. Same can be said for Boeser, they're both playing great defensively and Suter is just as clever.

Big decision next game for who to start in net. Also Tocchet has to do something to get Petey going, most likely with his linemates.

We did play well tonight down the stretch but cannot be spotting Edmonton 4 goals every night, have some mistakes we really need to clean up.

Miller has made it his personal mission in life this season to play against the best of the best.   He started this exact thing Game 1.    That's how Tochett played his line all year at home.     As far as "spotting EDM 4 goals"  well Silovs got us past NSH.   And we definitely outplayed  EDM 5 x 5.     That's what wins cups, not special teams.   Sure they matter, a lot less so in the post season.   De-Smith or Silovs...who would you put in net?   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HarbularyBattery said:

for real though - the blackout blinds and air conditioning to ensure his room is no warmer than 20 celsius is absolutely key

ever since i started wearing a sleep mask & got AC, my mental sharpness 10x'd. i didnt realize how bad my brain fog was before with shitty interrupted sleep

I was going to post the same thing. Once you introduce some sort of sound canceling contraption (or white/brown noise generator if you please) you’re golden! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

Knobber was trying to play this down as "cramps" last night but i think hes nursing some sort of injury:

People were posting earlier that you could clearly read draisatls lips when telling the trainer it was his back that was bothering him before going down the hallway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Deb is right.  Nothing like Tomato

with an ooey gooey grilled cheeze on the side of course!

grilled-cheese-and-tomato-soup-5-500x500

might have to make that for our supper on Friday night... 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Elliot Friedman seemed devistated by the Oilers loss. He doesn't seem like much of an Oilers shill but he asked Bieksa more than once  "common, you didn't think they were going to win that game did you ?"

I think a lot of the media guys picked oilers, as shown by the ESPN poll.

now the breakdown of the games will be focused on why the oilers lost vs how the canucks won

example:

McDavid had a poor showing, first time in playoffs without a shot

vs

Miller was excellent at shutting McDavid down and keeping him from generating much at all

if they admit the second narrative they admit they are wrong but by sticking to the first narrative it means McDavid will bounce back to his norm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Darius said:

Knobber was trying to play this down as "cramps" last night but i think hes nursing some sort of injury:

Just tell that gutless coward to take some Midol and stop crying like a little bitch.

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, TortorellasRant said:

Lets enjoy it but no way in hell this guy is going to not be a force at some point.

Well, it will have to wait a day or two that's for sure.

There is nothing here to suggest any improvement from this wimping whiner and nothing more from the horse with a broken leg under a Dry Saddle.

Nurse is a dolt and Bouchard is afraid of his shadow.

Skinner still thinks the Nucks' 5th goal gave them momentum.

15 hours ago, CaribouCanuck said:

Anyone remember how Oilers fans said on the last game of the season that the only reason the Canucks won was because they didn’t have McDavid so it didn’t count?… so what now?. 

Oilers fans can't count so it doesn't count.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

What a pair you and cuporbust make.  Great user name; love me some Torts, but this is a lousy post.

Those of us actually watching the games and listening to the coaching staff et al, have at least a rough idea of what has been bothering 'Lias Pettersson.

1st Clue from Tocchet, "It is an illness, there is nothing  [like an injury-my add]  wrong with Pettersson, he just has to play through it."  This one could be called "The Flu Clue" perhaps.

Last Clue I'm gonna bother with: Petey had a very good game last night and saved the day more than once in the third period alone; he is getting better and could be back to his 'normal' (read Top Level Player)(read Real Good) self in good time.  In other words, far from your, "Useless" valuation, which, in itself, is a Useless Valuation.

Damn, that's one helluva flu. It's not as if he hadn't been playing like total dog shit weeks prior to the playoffs or anything, but we'll ignore that. I will grant you he's not completely useless out there, I will retract that, but for eleven million a season and at crunch time, we could've paid dozens of players in the league a fraction of that for defensive soundness and face offs, and I'll go out on a limb and assume he's batting roughly 50%.

Edited by TortorellasRant

7 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

US commentators were so bad i switched sound off (monaco/campbell are trash). Sportsnet seemed no better.

It's like they don't even want to be there.

I'm not the biggest Cuthbert fan, but he's miles better than what I'm stuck with down here.

I'm just glad for all of you with SN that you didn't get stuck with Singh.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Only sad thing for me was not being able to hear shorty's calls this morning. Maybe he can call games from his couch on youtube. I'd listen in!

US commentators were so bad i switched sound off (monaco/campbell are trash). Sportsnet seemed no better.

It's second and third nature in the States, hockey is. I was in Oregon during the final game of the Canucks Preds series and almost nowhere had the game on, I needed to request it. Which I suppose is fair, Oregon doesn't even have an NHL or AHL club. But I threw on ESPN in the hotel room and couldn't find the highlights of the game. This was true even 20-25 years ago, I was in Florida as a kid at Disneyworld in November 2004.. couldn't find the Canucks highlights the entire time.

16 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Skinner owning his mistakes in the post-game and keeping it light with some humour. I know I called him poo poo, and as a goalie he is, but he seems like an honest and likeable fella. 

Just the kind of goalie we want them to have: nice guy but not good.

10 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

Damn, that's one helluva flu. It's not as if he hadn't been playing like total dog shit weeks prior to the playoffs or anything, but we'll ignore that. I will grant you he's not completely useless out there, I will retract that, but for eleven million a season and at crunch time, we could've paid dozens of players in the league a fraction of that for defensive soundness and face offs, and I'll go out on a limb and assume he's batting roughly 50%.

5684efb5a71699d2efaa13baba0dbb2c.gif

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

But he's already given us a lot of value in what he's done so far. So don't just zero in on the here and now. His contract hasn't even kicked in yet.

Guys struggle....money/contracts don't make them immune from that. The timing can't be controlled.

Do you have sick days at work? Should your salary be adjusted accordingly because sometimes you're off and can't do your job?

Why do people want to align contracts with performance by cherry picking the rough patches only?

11 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

It's second and third nature in the States, hockey is. I was in Oregon during the final game of the Canucks Preds series and almost nowhere had the game on, I needed to request it. Which I suppose is fair, Oregon doesn't even have an NHL or AHL club. But I threw on ESPN in the hotel room and couldn't find the highlights of the game. This was true even 20-25 years ago, I was in Florida as a kid at Disneyworld in November 2004.. couldn't find the Canucks highlights the entire time.

We made espn's front part today solely due to pk subban on pat mcafee. Drives me nuts.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I thought that they were going to gang up on Juice there.

Juice could ruin them all if they dared to be so stupid; on second thought, stupidity reigns on The Panel.

Edited by Goal_thecup
reigns, not reins, nor rains, nor anything speller-assist
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, QuinnNorris said:

I’m buying a Garland jersey.  I fucking love that guy!

He's a beaut. I don't know that I've ever seen a player with a motor like his. Pure tenacity too...his size does NOT hamper his ability to fight for the puck. At all.

• Cheers 1