[PGT] Edmonton at Vancouver ~ Round 2 - Game 1

Unbelievable game, even I'll admit I turned the game off after the 4-1 goal and just kept an eye on the score because we were playing like absolute trash defensively. How this team found a way to take it up another gear in the 3rd is beyond me. To be fair, we got a bit lucky on the Lindholm goal, the Miller goal was pure class but you could argue that Skinner shouldn't be beaten on really any of our goals. Long shots from the point, the Garland goal was hilarious and even the Miller goal he got beaten short side, he lost his crease on the Joshua goal too.

Top line ramped it up when they had to, hats off to Boeser and Miller for the goal but amazing defensive work at the end and all game long they broke up the Oilers. Draisaitl and McDavid get some cheap assists but were INVISIBLE.

Petey's line had some hustle but again a bit snakebitten, I think we have to try something different there. Don't want to mess with the other lines but maybe Podkolzin or flip around our 4th liners?

Lindholm line steals us the game, unreal performance once again. Dominated them at faceoffs, defensively gave up nothing and scores 3 huge goals. I know it looks like a longshot but if we go far with this line you have to think Allvin will move other pieces around to keep them because they're our top line in the playoffs. 

4th line didn't do much offensively, some nice plays, but really didn't give up much either.

Defence was in absolute shambles and something we have to address. Hughes and Hronek were alright, Hughes has lost a lot of his pep and flair offensively but Hronek owned the Oilers tonight, from his play on McDavid to the Zadorov goal, he was brilliant so good to see because he's having a quiet playoffs.

Zadorov and Soucy were beasts tonight again, Zadorov easily our best defenceman of the playoffs with another unreal massive goal. Myers fought the puck sadly, he was so strong against Nashville but struggled with Edmonton's speed pressuring him. Then there's Cole who obviously ruined us tonight, bad game by him but he'll be better.

Finally Silovs, he was pretty average on a lot of those goals, you could argue didn't get much help in front of him with some deflections, but he didn't look good. Then makes a monster save at the end on RNH. I think I'd start DeSmith next game regardless - Casey owned the Oilers in the regular season.

On the whole, amazing game, defences and goalies were both trash but our forward depth comes out on top despite losing the small special teams game. Let's hope we clean up our defensive problems, get better at special teams and fix Petey's line for next game. We didn't deserve to win this game but Skinner handed it to us.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

Are u kidding me? No lie I just smoked a bomber and was dreaming of a greasy burger. I wish there was a Wendy’s closer than 2.5 hours away. I’m salivating for a bacon mushroom melt. First thing I do in the morning is go buy some meat and build my own BMM. 

Stay focused….and do what you just said. 

👍😎😘

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Did we watch the same game? Nucks dominated the last two periods. The Coilers just got lucky with those two quick goals. 

Yeah those 2 quick goals!! Hahaha canucks be like 2 goals in 42 seconds, we can do better!! In the 3rd period where it counts in 38 sec.. this team learned from playing the preds. Low shots make them count. Loving it

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hronek I am on the fence about. I been critical of him. But I think he and Willander could be a pretty dynamic 1-2 punch on the right side one day. But yeah, the other 3 I really, really want to keep. I hate to say this cause people here get in their feels. But I'd trade Petey in a heartbeat if it meant we can retain Joshua, Zads and Lindholm.

Maybe me too

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The hockey gods nodded, content.  The “Bobby Orr #4 Special Stuff” had been uncorked earlier, and one of the gods had replaced the pre-game water of Nikita Zadorov with the special elixir.  They knew they had to cut the “McDavid for Conn Smythe” talk off quickly, lest the Chosen One get an even bigger head than he already has, and this seemed the best way to do it, showing up god-given talent with some god-given magic.  Needless to say, the elixir never disappoints, and it is always entertaining for them to see the Oilers choke a bit, so it was a good day’s work.     

They’re now thinking about lifting the restraining bolts they have put on Elias Pettersson’s skills for the last little while, to bring that Conn Smythe talk down even more.  They put the bolts on to encourage him to break his limiter after his solid showing earlier this season, kind of like One Punch Man (one of the gods is a closet anime fan … there’s no accounting for taste), but they are not getting the results they wanted, let alone the push to the next level they wanted to see. 

A number of them feel that he is now thinking more about how to spend his newfound millions than how to play up to his full potential, so punishment may be in order.  One of the gods, the one that looks a lot like Gordie Howe, even feels he needs to be hit into the boards a few times at the next practice, just to see if there is indeed any fire in his eyes.       

Still, most of them want to see Elias do well, and could be convinced that a great showing by him in Game 2 would go a long way to giving him that push they so want.  Maybe an offensive duel with Connor to entertain the hockey faithful?  Will any of this happen?  On to Game 2 …. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Fuck, I can't sleep thinking about how much fun work is going to be tomorrow. Unless the Oilers fans call in sick. 

Oh no they’ll be working a double if I was their boss. 

Posted (edited)

I wonder what happens if we switch from Silovs to DeSmith for game 2?

No one is going to believe it's a rotating the goalies situation and Silovs will know it's because he let in some goals. How would that impact him mentally and would giving him another chance to improve his nerves be the option to choose. He hasn't played Edmonton in a playoffs, so now he has a better idea of their style vs Nashville's style.

DeSmith did well against Edmonton in regular season, but is he fully healthy and will starting now after being out be a risk?

What's the status of Demko? Is he done for this year or ?

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I wonder what happens if we switch from Silovs to DeSmith for game 2? No one is going to believe it's a rotating the goalies situation and Silovs will know it's because he let in some goals. How would that impact him mentally and would giving him another chance to improve his nerves be the option to choose. He hasn't played Edmonton in a playoffs, so now he has a better idea of their style vs Nashville's style. DeSmith did well against Edmonton in regular season, but is he fully healthy and will starting now after being out be a risk?

I think coach plays silovs for game 2 abs if he struggles like he did today you go de smith game 3/4 and hopefully demmer  back game 5

i expect Silovs and skinner to bounce back next week but not to the level of saros / Silvia game 6 goaltending 

Edited by R3aL
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Unbelievable game, even I'll admit I turned the game off after the 4-1 goal and just kept an eye on the score because we were playing like absolute trash defensively. How this team found a way to take it up another gear in the 3rd is beyond me. To be fair, we got a bit lucky on the Lindholm goal, the Miller goal was pure class but you could argue that Skinner shouldn't be beaten on really any of our goals. Long shots from the point, the Garland goal was hilarious and even the Miller goal he got beaten short side, he lost his crease on the Joshua goal too.

Top line ramped it up when they had to, hats off to Boeser and Miller for the goal but amazing defensive work at the end and all game long they broke up the Oilers. Draisaitl and McDavid get some cheap assists but were INVISIBLE.

Petey's line had some hustle but again a bit snakebitten, I think we have to try something different there. Don't want to mess with the other lines but maybe Podkolzin or flip around our 4th liners?

Lindholm line steals us the game, unreal performance once again. Dominated them at faceoffs, defensively gave up nothing and scores 3 huge goals. I know it looks like a longshot but if we go far with this line you have to think Allvin will move other pieces around to keep them because they're our top line in the playoffs. 

4th line didn't do much offensively, some nice plays, but really didn't give up much either.

Defence was in absolute shambles and something we have to address. Hughes and Hronek were alright, Hughes has lost a lot of his pep and flair offensively but Hronek owned the Oilers tonight, from his play on McDavid to the Zadorov goal, he was brilliant so good to see because he's having a quiet playoffs.

Zadorov and Soucy were beasts tonight again, Zadorov easily our best defenceman of the playoffs with another unreal massive goal. Myers fought the puck sadly, he was so strong against Nashville but struggled with Edmonton's speed pressuring him. Then there's Cole who obviously ruined us tonight, bad game by him but he'll be better.

Finally Silovs, he was pretty average on a lot of those goals, you could argue didn't get much help in front of him with some deflections, but he didn't look good. Then makes a monster save at the end on RNH. I think I'd start DeSmith next game regardless - Casey owned the Oilers in the regular season.

On the whole, amazing game, defences and goalies were both trash but our forward depth comes out on top despite losing the small special teams game. Let's hope we clean up our defensive problems, get better at special teams and fix Petey's line for next game. We didn't deserve to win this game but Skinner handed it to us.

I would not call our defense trash. EDM only had 16 shots and a handful high danger chances - much less than ours. Most of their key players did not generate much. A couple of goals against were just unlucky. Sure the D made a few mistakes but so did EMD's D.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Honestly, I had a bit of faith even down, I always finish a game regardless if it's a blow out, thought the oil guzzlers had it, but so stoked about the win, let's fucking goooo! 

But I really hope they figure out what's up with petey, love Hogs but bring podz in and try it out.

Just here for the ride, missed playoffs so much.

• Like 1

I saw the game as equal till the third then we totally out played them till the end.

Our team play is and has been better then theirs.We can score but when it counts we seem to be a step ahead.

I just hope we keep it up till the end.

23 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I think coach plays silovs for game 2 abs if he struggles like he did today you go de smith game 3/4 and hopefully demmer  back game 5

i expect Silovs and skinner to bounce back next week but not to the level of saros / Silvia game 6 goaltending 

Where did he struggle? Goal 1, defensive breakdown by Cole leaving a 50-goal scorer by himself at thd side of the net, and taking NOBODY, not even Demko stops that. Goal 2, completely screened and guessed wrong, maybe overcommitted to the blocker side, something DeSmith does often. Goal 3, scored buy Cole, who had a really rough first two periods. Goal 4, trajectory changed by Myers stick check, based on blade angle it was labeled far side, which was where Selovs was looking, but the stick check took the pace off the puck and it squeaked 5-hole. He did look a little nervous at times, but he played great down the stretch, and made a couple of amazing saves, that toe save goes in on DeSmith because he's shorter. You ride Silovs until he turns in a stinker or Demko is fully healthy. Do you think if Demko was in Goal and the game went the same way that Tocchet starts DeSmith in game 2? No way. Silovs is now your starter, period. 

• Like 1

I was so fired up in complete and utter shock at work I kept dropping and nearly dropping things multiple times LOL. Holy shit. How am I supposed to sleep now?

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CaknucklePuck said:

Spoken just like someone that have no points and 1 sog in a 5-4 game. 

That is gonna go over real well in that room. I live for their locker room implosion. 

Edited by 24K
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Yeah I hate to bring it up after such an awesome win… but do you get the feeling that somethings up with Petey? Or is he an introvert?

I have feel he is forced in to contract, and something is wrong there.Looks like he is not happy.Every other our player has some kind of emotion.Just strangely looks like he is not part of it.But what do i know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

I have feel he is forced in to contract, and something is wrong there.Looks like he is not happy.Every other our player has some kind of emotion.Just strangely looks like he is not part of it.But what do i know.

Yeah I noticed that two sitting on the bench he looked really unhappy and out of place… 

As I’m thinking about this and writing about this I’m wondering why I care so much about this team - it’s kind of an obsession - I don’t know if it’s healthy or not…  

• Like 1