[PGT] Edmonton at Vancouver ~ Round 2 - Game 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Maybe if he concentrated on leading by example and backchecking instead of diving and then crying like the gutless coward that  he is, he wouldn't have to give excuses.  You can't win with a captain with those kind of character issues.

The whole Coilers "leadership group" is a mix  of whiners, cheap shots artists and Corey as a nice addition. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TortorellasRant said:

Dude was a PPG in 2020; but we have no clue what the hell his problem is this time. I seriously hope there's some legitimate reason for why he seems out of it because there's no excuse at this point for being useless; eventually it will truly cost us

Not pissing on anyones parade, but he set up a few good looks for Hogs and Hronek, and would have been clean through if Hogs didn't flag about...

He is finding his way back slowly... On top of this he was off with illness (or so the rumours said)...

• Cheers 4

8 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Bieksa's awesome.

"What?  Why do you call me King of the Canucks Fan Club?" (Unspoken, but definitely intended, 'You big ugly clown-costumed fat head.")

"I am Alumni."

"Are you a fan of your high school ringette team; do you still cheer them on?"

Later, EF whining to SNP after-game panel, "No matter what Kevin says, blah, blah, I am always right etc."

• Haha 1

Oh hey, nice to see you all again! I couldn't when the game was on as these servers were broken.

Anyways good win, good win...

ALSO! How was that not a boarding on Hughes? If he stays down that's a 5 minute major and likely a suspension. Dangerous hit, not let up 5-10 feet from the boards all numbers is about as dangerous as it gets. Really fortunate outcome. Glad karma got em. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Miller stoned McDavid all night, we owned the puck in the offensive zone for a lot of his shifts. Same can be said for Boeser, they're both playing great defensively and Suter is just as clever.

Big decision next game for who to start in net. Also Tocchet has to do something to get Petey going, most likely with his linemates.

We did play well tonight down the stretch but cannot be spotting Edmonton 4 goals every night, have some mistakes we really need to clean up.

Cole was the reason for like three goals last night. Then he got an assist on our goal and bounced back. You won't see Cole make mistakes again like he did last night, and we're now having a kitchen party in their heads for the rest of the series. Edmonton scoring four goals last night could very well be the last time they score that many in a game for the year. They don't know how to handle our style of play, and we're just getting started. 

51 minutes ago, Cocanuck said:

I hope they dont change goalies,,   Kid was screened and didnt see one,  another two on deflections from our d and a cross crease pass he had no chance on,,  let the kid keep playing!  

This. Silovs was just fine last night. Some unlucky bounces off sticks like you said, but he's solid. I'm so impressed with him. He's definitely our goalie of the future and a big-game gamer. 

I posted this earlier, but I fully believe Silovs will bounce back from this game.  He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't as good as his other games against NAS.  

With that being said, I fully expect mcdavid will be on a mission in game 2, and Skinner will likely bounce back from a weak performance as well.

I predict game 2 will be a lower scoring affair.  One of those 2-1 type games.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Even in the first we were holding our own in the possession game, and dominated it in the second and third.  Mistakes cost us and could have killed us, but process prevailed in the end.  This is a great template for how to win this series.

McDavid was nearly having a breakdown in that post-game interview.  They're rattled and starting to crack.  Just keep playing our game and we've got this.

I'm immensely proud of the team after last night.  One of the gutsiest and most exciting comebacks, on a par with the miraculous one against Nashville and the three straight overtime wins against Calgary in 94.  The belief in the room has gotta be sky high. 

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Fantastic comeback win. I thought the game was lost when the Oilers went up 3-1 but fortunately I was wrong. Here are my takeaways.

1. The Canucks were the better team. Expected goals were 3.0 - 1.4, high danger chances were 11-5, and scoring chances were 29-15. The Canucks allowed only 4 shots in the second period and 4 shots in the third even though Edmonton was desperately trying to get the equalizer in the last few minutes.  If they had lost I would have said that the better team lost, but the Canucks came up with a great character win.

2. Neither goalie was good. The first Edmonton goal was a classic cross-seam power play goal with no chance for the goalie. But the other Oiler goals were on shots that probably should have been stopped. 4 goals on 18 shots and on only 5 high danger chances is an ugly stat line for Silovs. If the Canucks had lost tonight I would have said that tonight was the first time that losing Demko hurt the team. But I would not be confident in Silovs going forward and would be inclined to go with DeSmith in the next game.

3. The Lindholm trade is now looking very good. He was excellent tonight (better than Petey, obviously) and better than Draisaitl. He was 14 out of 18 in the faceoff circle, including 4 out of 4 against McDavid and 4 out of 5 against Draisaitl. The Lindholm line (with Garland and Joshua) had 3 goals for and 0 goals against and was great at both ends of the ice. Joshua and Garland were both excellent. Joshua had 8 hits in addition to his 3 pts. And Lindholm was second on the team with 5 hits.

4. The Miller line did the heavy lifting against McDavid and actually won the battle. Normally  you hope to just contain McDavid and not give up too much, but Miller, Boeser, and Suter were all excellent and outplayed the McDavid line.

5. The Oilers were going after Hughes but the key hit in the game may have been a Myers hit on Draisaitl. Draistaitl seemed to hurt his back and missed some shifts and did not look good when he came back on the ice.

6. Have to mention Zadorov, who had another huge game (and that trade is also looking great). The D as a whole had a good game except for Cole, who struggled pretty badly. But I would still keep him in the lineup over Juulsen.

7. Things got off to bad start when, after all the talk about avoiding bad penalites, the Canucks took a really bad (and really obvious) too-many-men penalty before the one-minute mark. Then Edmonton scored on the PP after the Canucks defenders missed on a couple of clearing attempts. It looked like a classic Benning-era Canuck meltdown.  Credit to the team for maintaining focus.

8. We still need more from Petey. However, he did have 3 shots and 4 hits tonight and played well on the PK and at 6-on-5 with the Oiler net empty. He also made a sprawling check to break up a potential McDavid breakaway. And his line gave up very little in terms of chances against (although they had relatively easy minutes). Petey is not getting much offensive help from his linemates. There have already been a lot of comments about Hogs failing to pass it to him when he would have been all alone in front. I still don't feel great about Petey but I think he is close. I wonder about maybe moving Blueger to Petey's line on the wing and moving Hoggy back to the 4th line where Lafferty could play center. But if the Canucks keep winning I guess it makes sense to stick with the  forward lines they have.

9. Huge emotional lift for the team and for the fans. It has been a magical season so far.

Great commentary as usual B. What I noticed was how well the Canuck d-core activated in the 3rd. At one point Soucy pinched in and in another when Zad had the same opportunity he backed off as the Oiler forward could have broke past him. Just a lot of thinking hockey going on which was fun to watch. The Corolla line which is tacitly labelled the 3rd line was really the 2nd line last night. Joshua-Lindholm-Garland were outstanding. The Canuck centers dominating the FO's was huge. 

Canucks had to win #1 and did so in such a way that it will bring some hesitancy into the Oiler thinking. If the story about Kane is true then that hope is already manifesting. Win Game #2 and it will go full bore. 

• Cheers 3

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf is still celebrating. Didn’t even add coffee to my morning scotch. 

Only sad thing for me was not being able to hear shorty's calls this morning. Maybe he can call games from his couch on youtube. I'd listen in!

US commentators were so bad i switched sound off (monaco/campbell are trash). Sportsnet seemed no better.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

SN summing his words up as “we gave them this one”. 

Really? Gave them this one? Canucks didn’t earn it or deserve it? 

Fucking shills. 

F them and their BS....

WE took it.... 

Also loved tocchet's comment about him being mad at showing too much emotion after the win. Sometimes the boys earn it and its good to see. 

Really was a team effort, the little things like blueger's great pass back to zad on the tying goal. 

8 hours ago, Steev said:

Yeah ESPN had Oilers at +400 to win game 1

Yeah, the real prognosticators* had much more realistic odds.

When your money is on the line, please don't be swayed by the media pundits.

*Real money gambling sites (and not that foolish BC PlayNowSports - which is ok if you want to donate your money, but..).

Very funny to see that list of every media-based troll picking the Oilers, Oilers, Oilers.. hahahahaHa!  (Goofs)

Garland line is so freaking good. At this point people should stop banging on Pettersson. Just enjoy that we have 2 top lines and Pettersson is centering our 3rd line. Even Tocchet's playing Garland's line right after a dominant shift by the Miller line with the faceoff in the offensive zone. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Garland line is so freaking good. At this point people should stop banging on Pettersson. Just enjoy that we have 2 top lines and Pettersson is centering our 3rd line. Even Tocchet's playing Garland's line right after a dominant shift by the Miller line with the faceoff in the offensive zone. 

Petey was the McWhiner matchup. Hughes and Petey are out against The Baby Whiner. And they held the Crybaby to no shots. That’s sacrifice by our two superstars. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I wonder what they'll do about goaltending

Im sure skinner's confidence is ultra fragile as is.. 

Skinner was trying to come off unperturbed in the post-game interview, and even said he thought he had a good game.  Can you believe it?  Maybe that's a better facade than McDavid nearly in tears, but it's whistling in the dark, an act.   We are well and truly in their heads.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1