Leafs Fire Sheldon Keefe

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think he's getting chased off the team.  He didn't have a great season and had a worse playoffs.  He's getting paid $11 million.  Vancouver fans are being just as critical about Petey right now.  But Petey isn't technically getting paid $11 million yet.  Plus, Petey is actually contributing defensively in the playoffs, is a centre who is over 50% in the dot and seems to be doing more than Marner.

Marner is way overpaid as a winger IMO.  He's not in the same stratosphere as Kucherov, Pastrnak, Panarin or even Rantanen.  Even Nylander is a better overall player than Marner IMO.  

Marner will definitely want to get out of TO now.  He's pretty much a goner anyways next summer as Toronto will need to use that cap space to get a goalie and improve the defence.

He didn’t have a great season? He was on pace for another 95+ points this season, while still being one of the better defensive winger in the league.

I don’t know where people get this perception that Marner is a playoff choke artist. Marner was 4th on the team in goals expected this playoffs, only behind his linemates this playoffs. So, even though he wasn’t producing points, he was still creating chances for his team. Oddly enough, the person who many thought was the Leafs’ best player, Nylander; was 7th on the team.

Since joining the Leafs’,  Marner has led the team in points, on-ice goals for (5v5), fewest on-ice goals against (5v5), and on-ice SV%, in the playoffs (amongst the forwards). But of course, he’s the scapegoat because some “hockey analysts” only looks at the point numbers and a few clips of him avoiding hits. Calling for his head.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

Sounds like Bernie has been a done deal for a few days. 
Can’t believe they kept Shanahan. 10 years of his imbalanced lineup. And he still has a job. Not as bad as Benning but he needs to go. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Sooooo, Shanahan takes the blame for their early exit, but meh....we're firing the coach anyway...

• GM Dubas gets fired for coming out and saying they're running it back too many times
  • New GM... runs it back - doesn't work
  • Head coach fired
  • ????

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2024 at 6:06 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

When he said "Boston just waited for us to shoot ourselves in the foot."

That sounded like a coach who was trying to get the team to listen, but they won't.

This is a real unpopular take. But I think Matthews is a not a team guy. Look how much better the Leafs played when he was out of the lineup.

Matthews might be super talented. But his ego gets in the way. He seems to be great in the regular season. But he won't commit to being an all around player.

His extension alone kind of supports that 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

• GM Dubas gets fired for coming out and saying they're running it back too many times
  • New GM... runs it back - doesn't work
  • Head coach fired
  • ????

It's on management, but we're still going to fire the coach and give ourselves raises....

On 5/9/2024 at 7:31 AM, RupertKBD said:

He definitely seems to be the consensus guy to move....but I bet they wish they could move Tavares instead....

The challenge I see with Marner is that he was given that crazy AAV and likely won't want to see a decrease in AAV on the next contract. Solid player (and I think he would be a better player on a team with more structure) but not at that cap hit.