[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Fri May 10 - 7pm pt | Round 2 Game 2 Canucks lead series 1-0

8 hours ago, stawns said:

So not only would you weaken the pk by taking out a player who plays pk for a player who doesn't, but you'd also put in a player that takes more than his fair share of penalties........against one of the best pp's of all time.

Lafferty doesn’t pk as far as I know?

48 minutes ago, tas said:

what about in round one when cole was lights out the entire time and the one game juulsen played he was kind of a disaster all night?

I think at that point Juulsen had been sitting for 2-3 weeks. Why the coaching staff didn’t rest guys like Cole/Myers and play Juulsen in the last stretch makes me scratch my head. Juulsen played like he had been sitting for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

I want tonight for it to be Leon Dryidle as he is forced to use an on ice walker and Connor Mcsorrywesavedit. Pfft, McDavid can't even spell his own name....it's CONOR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Canuck You said:

The lack of respect to the Canucks is astounding by every media source, Only what good Oilers did and what they can do better, Not even a bone thrown to Van for that incredible come-back or a mention of how great they played and dominated at the end. Geez.

Maybe a couple of cups and one day, we won't be "the afterthought". You're right though. We are the 10pm specials on sports recap shows.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Mark Spector compared nurse to pronger and niedermayer? I guess it's good they are still over inflating egos. 

IMG_5920.thumb.jpeg.c61688c4debb401f1fac33cf1f65e9e3.jpeg

That was one of the best teams to win a cup post cap.    They had more heart and muscle in their pinky finger, then EDM's entire lineup.    And yep Nurse? Yikes.   They killed 3 penalties for every power play.    Imagine adding May and a bunch of  guys that were known for their pugilistic, energetic style, to a team that already had Paros, Thornton, O'Brian, Moen, Pronger etc  just to make sure they could "beat everyone up" all the way to the cup.    Perry can say what he wants.   I'm sure he can see a big difference in the lineup as well.    They don't make them like that anymore. 

Who's going to stop Zadorov, Soucy and Myers from knocking McDavid, Draisatl, Hyman,  RNH on their asses?  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Skinner usually has a bounce back game so we've got to get on him early on and see if we can break him. I worry about Silovs though, he didn't look good there so we'll see if he can do the same. I think if we give up 3 goals we throw DeSmith in. I'd be all for starting DeSmith too to be honest, he had Edmonton's number during the regular season.

Up front I'd like to see us change Petey's linemates but Tocc is proving fairly stubborn and consistent and the results are coming so I doubt he will. Hogs and Mikheyev really need to get going and it does feel like a matter of time - once they do the flood gates will open and we'll be a 3 line unstoppable team so we're just trying to bide our time until that happens. 

PP has been dreadful all playoffs, I'd think about a big change there like Zadorov in the crease or Hronek bombs from the point.

You know Edmonton's going to come out hungry and attack hard and faster than they did even last game, this is anyone's game. Last game came down to goaltending for the worse and I think tonight it will be a goalie duel - whichever goalie is better and lets in less bad goals wins.

Totally agree with you. Silovs will get the start but I wonder how long a leash RT gives him. I think he consults Ian Cole over how Silovs is playing. Can the Canuck d-core play as well as they did on Wednesday? The whole team has had their d-side game mature a lot. Oilers will be coming hard but you know they will be looking over their shoulders since they broke down on their d-side last game. 

As exciting as the comeback was last Wednesday the odds were definitely against that happening. Thrilling to watch but the Canucks cannot hope for such a repeat. The offense has to put goals up earlier. The 3rd line is playing like a 2nd line or arguably like a top line. We know they are capable but the unknown was Lindholm. He is really starting to come on. If this line continues to produce they could win the series. Petey had a good game 1. He barely missed the net on his one timer. As you suggested if Petey's line contributes the Canucks will have 3 scoring lines with major upside. It would be the Oilers worst nightmare. 

Going into this series I gave the Oilers the offense the edge. What I saw as weakness was the Oiler d-zone play and Skinner's ability to outplay Vancouver's tenders. IMHO that is still the situation.   

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Maybe a couple of cups and one day, we won't be "the afterthought". You're right though. We are the 10pm specials on sports recap shows.

Thank god for Bieksa.    Put him in the ROH already.   Need some Cheech too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I disagree. Juules played better than Cole all year on the right side. He's made for playoff hockey. 

Juulsen should have played more going into the playoffs was wondering why Toch didn't give him a couples more games late in the season 

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That would be wonderful.    Breaking EDM, and making it to the conference final would be simply awesome.    This team is special.   We can do it.    Demko is training his butt off.    All we need is De-Smith and/or  Silovs to steal one game for us and EDM is toast.  

We are built better.   Balanced.   They are a good team no doubt.   Can't wait to see more of this though: 

IMG_4045.jpeg

He's got a reputation of been a whiny bitch.   Gretzky used to use his influence in game situations, to help his team.   He wasn't a diver, and never acted like this guy.   Always full respect for his opponents and the game.    McDavid brings some shame to superstardom.    

QHs, gets abused, dusts himself off, and NEVER once looked at the refs with pleading beenie boo eyes, or even gave them a sideways glance (NSH, the announcers even brought this up).    EDM has a well deserved rep for whiny'ness, that comes from their leadership group, Draisatl does it too.    We beat them on character.    

Spot on amigo...

Its an embarrassment to be that good, and then to be that whiny and moaning... I hope and think he has been clocked by the referees... 

One thing is for sure, you are more likely to get an even hand of calls if you play the game clean and don't whine over call... Have noticed how rare it is to see Tocchet argue with the refs... Smart move...  They are more likely to listen if he finally say something, or at least not draw negative attention towards his team.

Hopefully whom ever Tocchet starts in goal can pull another rabbit out of the hat, and I'm sure Oilers won't come back from that...

33 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I think at that point Juulsen had been sitting for 2-3 weeks. Why the coaching staff didn’t rest guys like Cole/Myers and play Juulsen in the last stretch makes me scratch my head. Juulsen played like he had been sitting for 2 weeks.

that's his job, to be a 7th defenceman who can sit for weeks and then step in when needed. 

• Like 1

Was just watching Game 1 highlights on NHL.TV, and I believe it was Cassie Campell who was colour commentator... What a damp squid to listen to...

Both the 3rd,the 4th and the 5th Canucks goal, she explained the play pragmatic and without any enthusiasm at all... Wow does she ever suck at excitement... 

She's got the personality of boiled Broccoli... God all mighty it would be hard to listen to her an entire game...

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I disagree. Juules played better than Cole all year on the right side. He's made for playoff hockey. 

Sure, but not against Edmonton's powerplay. We absolutely have to respect that and Juulsen is more likely to take a penalty than Cole. As poorly as Cole played, I think you have to go back to him to give him to opportunity to bounce back. Pretty hard to disrupt a winning line up as well.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Sutherland must be getting up there.

I'm assuming referees are hockey fans and therefore watch other games or at the least highlights when they are able.

I wonder if they ever would rewatch previous games in a series to get an idea of the tone of the series and to make sure they are going to be consistent with how things have been reffed so far.

I don't see how that would hurt.

Posted (edited)

Sutherland is reffing. I expect quite a few Oilers PPs. Stand strong Canucks, the whiney fuckers aren't done yet. 

Edited by Nucker67
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If Draibaby is out, that changes the whole pp dominance a lot.... Do we take more chances and really lay out the hits tonight?

Maybe only for McDavid. Otherwise I think you still have to stick with the gameplan and minimize penalties. Do the same thing, every game, and there should be enough there to get another 3 wins, with or without Draisatl. I think maintaining the mindset of not taking penalties is more important because Draisatl will eventually return.

13 hours ago, Reg said:

Back pain can be a bitch, hope he has a long off season in order to recuperate.

maybe he'll be on ltir all season only to come back for golfing season next spring

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Sutherland must be getting up there.

oh no not Sutherland, dude hates the Canucks, prepare for at least 2 phantom calls against the Canucks 

• Cheers 1