[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Fri May 10 - 7pm pt | Round 2 Game 2 Canucks lead series 1-0

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d put Juulsen on the 4th line in place of Lafferty. You can play him as a 7th Dman or run him a few shifts on the 4th line. 

Why in the world would tocchet fo that?  Why not have podkolzin come in and replace Cole then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Oilers are going to have a ton of pressure on them even more than game 1 and also a hit to their confidence since they had a big lead and still lost game 1 they are going to have a big hit to their confidence even if they have a lead again. 

I feel; like this mental edge will be big for the Canucks. 

11 hours ago, John.Tallhouse said:

image.jpeg.d8345de418ea3a4216097d540057d209.jpeg

Where?

394149.webp.8a807ed9d4b7460bb7c93400b642dbb6.webp

Projected Oilers line up:

image.jpeg.18a8e2eee3767c66aef8d010916c5521.jpeg

image.thumb.png.35a6ffff4b358e060d1a511cdcc9f74e.png

image.png.0686a3e0b6620da3c99b7295ccc4e875.png

image.thumb.jpeg.cea5a9bbeca65ea8fc0770debcb1ee2a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.01fbc901acf4f468117462a80c75c2df.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e704a1aee45c43cb14410bc475a699f6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5a058d150e57bea997d1d25a62deeac8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b54d040ff898688efaf95329b65d2667.jpeg

image.thumb.png.60d0a85ae926f4516151e524cb2d74d5.png

GAME FACE:

image.thumb.jpeg.495a0e8e44e9f693d66e8d4c906c747a.jpeg

Thanks @John.Tallhouse.  Absolutely the funniest GDT I have ever seen!

Woke my wife up laughing and she's 3 rooms away with my and her doors shut tight.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why in the world would tocchet fo that?  Why not have podkolzin come in and replace Cole then?

Well he's advocating to go with 7D

Why would we go with 5D?

I do like the idea of getting Juulsen in sooner than later there will be an injury to the D and he hasn't played in a long time

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

Well he's advocating to go with 7D

Why would we go with 5D?

I do like the idea of getting Juulsen in sooner than later there will be an injury to the D and he hasn't played in a long time

And play him on the 4th line.........so in round 2 of the playoffs, youre going to put a guy into a position he doesn't play,?

48 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Let’s not forget that last game Juulsen slotted in he took two penalties and was a bit shaky. I like them both equally so I err on the side of experience in Cole and trust that he’s going to have a hell of a bounce back game. 

Good post. It's one of those tough decisions

Cole is the safe choice for today

But for our future Juulsen needs to get some ice time in these playoffs

I like the other posters idea, bring 7 D, and run thin with 11F. Our forwards can handle more minutes 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And play him on the 4th line.........so in round 2 of the playoffs, youre going to put a guy into a position he doesn't play,?

No I wouldn't put him in as F

But having him dress as 7D and get some shifts in while double shifting our forwards I'm a fan of. See my other post above

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, bh90 said:

Good post. It's one of those tough decisions

Cole is the safe choice for today

But for our future Juulsen needs to get some ice time in these playoffs

I like the other posters idea, bring 7 D, and run thin with 11F. Our forwards can handle more minutes 

I was beating the Juuls drum two years ago and have been one if his most loyal supporters, but I think people are highly overrating him here because he's been out of the lineup for so long.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty much this…

What about Myers?

I really really hope he takes a home town discount just so he stays close to family

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

I was beating the Juuls drum two years ago and have been one if his most loyal supporters, but I think people are highly overrating him here because he's been out of the lineup for so long.

And that last sentence there "been out of the lineup for so long" is what worries me

We've been lucky these playoffs with health for our Fs and Ds. Putting Juuls in after a long layoff could be trouble... so maybe we ease him as 7D... 8-10 minutes a night and get him to work out his playoff  jitters.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would be interested to see Juulsen on the 4th line as a winger to mix things up. He is a big body that likes to throw his weight around. Would be helpful in breaking down the Oilers and also be defensively sound line whenever he is on (would technically be 3 defensemen on the ice). 
I’d like to see Juulsen in the lineup compared to PDG or Lafferty as a trial.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bh90 said:

No I wouldn't put him in as F

But having him dress as 7D and get some shifts in while double shifting our forwards I'm a fan of. See my other post above

You might not, but the original post was, at least partially.

I'm still not sure what advantage of playing 7 d and 11 f would bring?  All three 4th line fwds play a pretty significant pk role.........what's the logic of weakening your pk against one of the best pp's ever?

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ummm, teams play with 7D all the time. Why would Tocchet play with only 5D?  That’s makes like zero sense. I thought you played hockey. Did your teams only dress 5D in any games?  

Lafferty played like 8 minutes last night. And he doesn’t play special teams. So he’s pretty much useless. I’d rather have the extra Dman in the game who hits like a truck. You can give him a couple shifts up front too. But primarily he could get some shifts on the backend replacing Cole. 

Just now, CanuckMan said:

I would be interested to see Juulsen on the 4th line as a winger to mix things up. He is a big body that likes to throw his weight around. Would be helpful in breaking down the Oilers and also be defensively sound line whenever he is on (would technically be 3 defensemen on the ice). 

So not only would you weaken the pk by taking out a player who plays pk for a player who doesn't, but you'd also put in a player that takes more than his fair share of penalties........against one of the best pp's of all time.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bh90 said:

And that last sentence there "been out of the lineup for so long" is what worries me

We've been lucky these playoffs with health for our Fs and Ds. Putting Juuls in after a long layoff could be trouble... so maybe we ease him as 7D... 8-10 minutes a night and get him to work out his playoff  jitters.

That’s exactly what I said. Play him as a 7D in place of Lafferty who’s only playing 8 minutes a night. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, teams play with 7D all the time. Why would Tocchet play with only 5D?  That’s makes like zero sense. I thought you played hockey. Did your teams only dress 5D in any games?  

Lafferty played like 8 minutes last night. And he doesn’t play special teams. So he’s pretty much useless. I’d rather have the extra Dman in the game who hits like a truck. You can give him a couple shifts up front too. But primarily he could get some shifts on the backend replacing Cole. 

You're advocating juuls playing on the 4th line (at least partially), a position he does not play.  So why not try podz out on d while he's at it?  I mean, what could go wrong?

Back to reality, everyone on the 4th line plays pk.........do you really think it's a good idea to take one of those guys out against the oilers pp?  For a guy who doesn't play pk......as a fwd anyway.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm still not sure what advantage of playing 7 d and 11 f would bring?  All three 4th line fwds play a pretty significant pk role.........what's the logic of weakening your pk against one of the best pp's ever?

False.  Lafferty doesn't PK.  So no, not all three 4th line forwards play a significant PK role.  

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Couple of observations....

Juuls doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with Blueger, Lafferty or PDG

Tocchet's system demands certain things from wingers in specific situations, and dozens of reps in practice to ingraine these habits in the wingers.  Juuls hasn't done any of these and that would destroy the effectiveness of that 4th line

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

You're right

It's not a good decision for what's best for the team today 

I guess I'm more making a case that I think long term we would benefit in getting Juuls some ice time

8 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I'll be at the game so listen for the rinky dink cowbell. And the kazoo.

Kazoo kid is actually Evander Kane's kid!

7achfy.jpg

And he does Clinton impersonations!

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952rq1voiqo4i9qkr7tic1

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Deb's Brother is freak'n 'n peak'n:

2d165a71-f39b-4e58-bded-149de20cca05_tex

Deb has it.

7aea6cc1-7203-440a-8769-9f413c20511c_tex

Deb's brother is a fink.

effece8b-5c07-466a-9190-74e962baa1f8_tex

Now, she's really gonna get it.

Get her cowbell that is!

Clang Deb Clang!  Kazoo!  Kazoo!  Clang Bbbrrracckkle!

CsbF.gif

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

You're advocating juuls playing on the 4th line (at least partially), a position he does not play.  So why not try podz out on d while he's at it?  I mean, what could go wrong?

Back to reality, everyone on the 4th line plays pk.........do you really think it's a good idea to take one of those guys out against the oilers pp?  For a guy who doesn't play pk......as a fwd anyway.

What games are you watching?  Lafferty doesn't kill penalties.  He's been on the ice for less than a minute for ALL 7 games combined on the penalty kill.  The only reason he is out there is to take a faceoff as he's a right shot.  He's played like 27 minutes total in penalty killing for the ENTIRE regular season.

In comparison, Juulsen has played one game in the playoffs and has played over 2 minutes on the PK in that one game.  During the regular season, Juulsen played over 104 minutes on the PK in only 54 games.  So Juulsen can easily play on the PK and replace Cole or Hronek, while Miller or Lindholm can easily make up the 50 seconds that Lafferty has played on the PK.

Also, not sure if you noticed, but Cole has trouble handling the puck on the right side as a left shot.  He mishandles the puck all the time.  On that pass that he gave right to Draisaitl, the reason he did that is because he is a left shot so it was easier to shoot the puck on his strong hand off the boards to the left side where Draisaitl was waiting for the puck.  A right-handed Dman would never have made that play.  They would have instead shot the puck to the right side and tried to clear it.  These are little things that I notice when I watch Cole play the right side.  He's not Shea Theodore or Rasmus Dahlin who are incredible with the puck and can easily play their off side...

• Like 2