Petey do we really need him?

On 5/15/2024 at 10:52 AM, -Buzzsaw- said:

If the Canucks coaching staff don't want Pettersson on the team, then management should trade him.

But don't put him on the 3rd line with 4th line wingers and expect him to produce.

There was a lot of interest around the league prior to the contract signing... lots of teams willing to trade for him.

Now that the finger pointing has started his value will have gone down considerably... they may need to retain salary... or take garbage in trade.

He was momentarily put on Miller’s line and dragged the whole line down.

He also needs to play like he deserves to be with top players. At that cap hit, he should definitely be a play driver.

Petey's body of work is not summed up in the emotional and incredible timeline from the Allstar game to this moment in time. 90 days doesn't inform me of any players net worth in the NHL. Let's relax, see where this incredible core takes us in the new era. Petey is still 2 or three years away from 'peak' and Hughes is 4 years away, hogs is four years away. Next year Boeser should hit his peak Brock. We have Miller for the next six years at a reasonable cap. This was peak Garland, but we have him reasonably for the next two years as well. Of the ufa's we need Lindholm, Joshua, Zadorov back for sure. 

This team will be amazing entertainment for at least the next handful of years, and I think we have the right people making the decisions in place to see that extend to a decade of awesome Canucks Fandom. Like everyone else, Petey will learn from this experience and be better next time, he might also have different support personnel on his line. I hear that lekkerimaki is dreamy. 

• Like 3

On 5/9/2024 at 1:35 PM, Falcons said:

There are some key players that have showed up in these playoffs and will be ufa’s this year and next.

Lindholm,Joshua,Zadorov,Boeser

Blueger,Myers

Should the Canucks shop Petey for a trade ( salary dump) if needed to keep these players on the team?

If there's one player I want to see on this roster above the others listed, that would be Zads! 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 1:35 PM, Falcons said:

There are some key players that have showed up in these playoffs and will be ufa’s this year and next.

Blueger,Myers

Should the Canucks shop Petey for a trade ( salary dump) if needed to keep these players on the team?

If we want a Cup then we need Petey. Only a moran doesn’t understand we can’t win a Cup without a healthy Demko, Hughes, and Petey. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2024 at 3:42 PM, Optimist Prime said:

Petey's body of work is not summed up in the emotional and incredible timeline from the Allstar game to this moment in time. 90 days doesn't inform me of any players net worth in the NHL. Let's relax, see where this incredible core takes us in the new era. Petey is still 2 or three years away from 'peak' and Hughes is 4 years away, hogs is four years away. Next year Boeser should hit his peak Brock. We have Miller for the next six years at a reasonable cap. This was peak Garland, but we have him reasonably for the next two years as well. Of the ufa's we need Lindholm, Joshua, Zadorov back for sure. 

This team will be amazing entertainment for at least the next handful of years, and I think we have the right people making the decisions in place to see that extend to a decade of awesome Canucks Fandom. Like everyone else, Petey will learn from this experience and be better next time, he might also have different support personnel on his line. I hear that lekkerimaki is dreamy. 

Now that there is some prime optimism!

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 4:36 PM, high flying Vee said:

I’m listening if Jack Hughes is involved 

Pett and Demko for the Hughs bros.... Still with me? Jersey still gets a franchise player and a desperately needed goalie. With the addition of Luke on defense plus saving cap to resign Zad and or Hronic, will make up for losing Demko. You dont need a Vezna goalie to win, you need average goal tending and great defense. Silvos and Desmith can get the job done. Doubt NJD would bite on that one. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Vancan said:

Pett and Demko for the Hughs bros.... Still with me? Jersey still gets a franchise player and a desperately needed goalie. With the addition of Luke on defense plus saving cap to resign Zad and or Hronic, will make up for losing Demko. You dont need a Vezna goalie to win, you need average goal tending and great defense. Silvos and Desmith can get the job done. Doubt NJD would bite on that one. 

THIS is my dream scenario

22 hours ago, Vancan said:

If you want great defense then you don’t trade for Luke Hughes. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2024 at 5:37 AM, Alflives said:

If we want a Cup then we need Petey. Only a moran doesn’t understand we can’t win a Cup without a healthy Demko, Hughes, and Petey. 

Add Miller and Boeser into that list... plus Z, Myers, Garland and a whole list of yet to be obtained or signed players.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 4:21 AM, IBatch said:

If we are talking about the same interview, it was borderline abhorrent, and a prime example of how quickly our media is to jump on players backs and pound them into the ground.    The Sedins suffered through this for years, and that "Sister" theme, stuck around well past the time they'd figured out their game and become the stars and for awhile, superstars, that they were all along.   

This is EPs second crack at the post season, and first one with fans.    NSH and EDM also are a lot closer to Vegas than St. Louis or MIN, in their hard (and for EDM, dirty) style of play.    Vegas shut down the entire team, with the exception of Motte and Myers, Demko.    Even Miller.    Toffoli was invisible, and a certain groupie portion of the fanbase still fawns over him like he was the missing link (how did that go for WNP?).    Toffoli would have been better than what he's currently got though.    At least he can sneak, and shoot the puck.  

In the end EP can only control what he can.    Would it be worth putting him with Joshua and Garland instead?   Maybe.    That's about the only thing I can think of.    Lindholm could create  a shutdown line with Mikheyev and whomever.    Either that or roll the dice with Lekkermaki, that's pretty bold.  

The Sedin Sisters theme was dispicable trolling of two dignified & honourable men, let alone bonafide hall-of-fame hockey players. It would have been totally beneath them to respond in kind. 

I’m having a difficult time rooting for the EDM Oilers, after the  league has clearly meddled to anoint them,…through the deployment of Sutherland & O’Rourke as officiating fail-safes…to that end. 

But - Seguin’s & Benn’s chirping of the Sedins, who are 2 of the classiest guys one could ever hope to meet, and unapologetically so..…speaks to their weak & immature characters. I hope there’s been a little more  growth & development between their ears, but, as long as they have that issue to clear-up,…they’re NOT bonafide leaders, in my book, as of yet.

Chris Tanev, really should be schooling those guys &/or return back to the Canucks-fold, next season, as a free agent.

It’s always hard to choose a secondary team to root for. I’ll have to watch a full-game of this WC-Final & see where my feelings & inclinations go. 

I just want to turn the page on this season & get on with the next one already,…because the Canucks’ window to raise the Cup is clearly wide-open!  

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, viking mama said:

Thr Sedin Sisters theme was dispicable bullying of these proud peers & beneath them to respond in kind. 

I’m having a difficult time rooting for the Oilers now, after the league clearly meddled & attempted to anoint them by deploying Sutherland & O’Rourke as officiating fail-safes…to that end. 

But, Seguin & Benn chirping two of the classiest individuals or players of integrity that you will ever meet, the Secins, and unapologetically…is sometime that speaks to their weak character. As long as they have that issue to clear-up,…they’re NOT real bonafide leaders in my book.

Chris Tanev, should school those guys,..&/or return back to this Canucks-fold, next season.

Always hard to choose a secondary team. 

I’ll just have to watch a full-game & see where my feelings & inclinations take me. 

I just want to turn the page on this season & get on with the next one already,…because the Canucks’ window of opportunity to raise the Cup is now clearly open!  

It was our media that created that, well before Benn and Seguin were around.    Sure they got chirped by half the league.  Thornton.   It was open season going back to the early 2000's.   That's the point.   Neil McRea was it.   Learned to tune our media out a long time ago. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 6:32 PM, IBatch said:

It was our media that created that, well before Benn and Seguin were around.    Sure they got chirped by half the league.  Thornton.   It was open season going back to the early 2000's.   That's the point.   Neil McRea was it.   Learned to tune our media out a long time ago. 

Seguin, who had recently departed the Bruins organization after winning the Stanley Cup in his rookie season, & had been traded to Dallas in an effort to uproot him from social influences detrimental to his professional career, yakked it up with his new teammate, Jaimie Benn, on a sports talk show.

The fact that the brothers roomed together on the road, became a topic of ridicule, etc. Seguin & Benn’s  naivety & immaturity was glaring. But,  ridiculing the Sedins, who a mere season prior had won league awards & competed in the SCup Final, was uber-disrepectful in the context of listening to such ungraciousness from a Cup winner, in juxtaposition to the character of his runner-ups. This is something that burns me, to this day.

Nothing is more despicable than maligning one’s opponent in victory - after what should have been a fair & honourable competition of sport. 

Benn’s flops & leadership gaffs in a game 7, of last year’s play-off season, brought me a wee bit of  satisfaction - as Lady Karma seemed to get him back. Yet, more than anything, I hope that this year’s Stanley Cup is raised by a team full of players, who are far more honourable than NOT….because modelling on-ice behaviours for future Olympians, young people & hockey players in general - is something current NHL leadership players, should at the very least, be pretending to do.

I firmly KNOW, however, that the Sedins have modelled decency, integrity, good sportsmanship & tenacity of spirit - authentically, for their entire careers. I & others hold them in very high esteem & regard  - indeed.

The jury remains-out on Seguin & Benn.

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 6:32 PM, IBatch said:

Sure they got chirped by half the league.  Thornton.   It was open season going back to the early 2000's.    

“Juvenile” Joe Thornton had devolved into a complete clown & SJ Sharks stripped him of his captaincy, for more reasons than just one. The hand taunting of Henrik Sedin incident, during a Captain’s meeting before an NHL referee & on nation-wide television & world-wide broadcast, has got to have been one of his most humiliating & embarrassing choices while wearing his team’s “C”. What was he trying to represent, anyway …grade school bullies…WWE side-shows…or a sport hoping to be respected as well as any other Major League sport?

Beer leaguers have more honour & dignity than that & rarely sink as low.

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/9/2024 at 2:21 PM, Goose said:

Im on the record as saying I think Petey will keep improving.  I dont view him as a finished product yet.  25 years is still young from a physically maturing standpoint.

He's not a kid anymore 

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 10:35 PM, Falcons said:

Blueger,Myers

Yes ... trade Elias Pettersson but don't tell the other team which one 🤪🫣

the-simpsons-simpsons.gif

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

He's not a kid anymore 

25 is still young for a maturing athlete.  Late 20’s / early 30’s is when you really start to develop peak strength esp for someone as slight as Petey who has to work even harder to obtain it.  patience grasshopper 

• Cheers 1

On 5/15/2024 at 12:04 PM, Eddie said:

I still believe that Petey can be one of those franchise level NHL players who can be a complete difference-maker.  Look back to the bubble and how he played back then, and that was against more physical teams too. 

I think he struggles from 2 issues. Firstly he isn't really a game breaker on his own, which keeps him out of the very top tier of NHL players, he can't take over a game like Mackinnon or McDavid and score highlight real goals on his own ( with the odd exception ). He needs good linemates, which he currently doesn't have.  This is probably the biggest weakness in the entire team right now. Tho that being said I do feel if he was playing at the apex of his ability he would be on the lotto line or have been given some better wingers from the other two top lines.  Which brings me on to struggle #2. 

Consistency. He seems to have these long periods where he can't perform. It usually comes out he is injured or something. I've also noticed that he is the poster boy for our poor play on these eastern road trip when the team looks tired and sluggish - its usually his line that is more noticeably not at the races.

The other interesting coincidence is that the last time he looked like this, and was supposedly injured was the 21/22 season where he regressed and put up only 68 points. The coincidence is, that was right after he signed his bridge deal to 7.35M. He did say he didn't wanna sign a new deal till after this season, maybe he has motivational issues once there is no longer an immediate financial reward of a contract - many do.  I dunno, he's just not been himself since around the time that deal was signed and he isn't showing any signs of improving, and I'm not buying the injury excuse as surely he would have been 'managed' towards the end of the season if that was the case.  

I felt he was one of those super driven winners when he first joined the club after winning everything in the SHL. The concern for me now is:  has the years of coasting with people like Bo and Louis etc rubbed off on him - gonna be a pricey mistake if so. I still believe 👽

I think you just provided an excellent explanation why he should have never been signed for almost $12M/yr like Mackinnon and McJesus.  Watching him all but disappear after he signed his contract is very concerning to say the least, especially watching him shrivel-up in the playoffs.  

Thankfully his new contract next year DOES NOT come with a NTC for the first year of that contract, so if his demise continues then JR can step in and dump PA's overpriced contract with Petty and unload him to some eastern team.  They may to swallow some of his $12Million dollar contract because no other team in their right mind would pay $12M for a guy that only had 2 goals since the middle of March last winter but better to dump him with some cap and salary retention than get stuck with him for the full $12M for more than half a decade playing like all the other swedish freeloaders we've had on this team for the last 55 years. 

I don't think many will shed any tears after what we saw from him for the last 4 months since January.   Besides anyone that's watched the Canucks for 40+ years knows; We will never - ever - win a stanley cup with a regular season Finesse Swede as our #1 prominent player.   Been there- done that !

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/10/2024 at 11:18 PM, -Buzzsaw- said:

Yes, Mikheyev is grossly overpaid for what he contributes... just not getting it done.

Worth a potential salary dump.  $5 mil can better be spent on someone else.

One of worse signings PA did .  A 100% complete failure!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, viking mama said:

“Juvenile” Joe Thornton had devolved into a complete clown & SJ Sharks stripped him of his captaincy, for more reasons than just one. The hand taunting of Henrik Sedin incident, during a Captain’s meeting before an NHL referee & on nation-wide television & world-wide broadcast, has got to have been one of his most humiliating & embarrassing choices while wearing his team’s “C”. What was he trying to represent, anyway …grade school bullies…WWE side-shows…or a sport hoping to be respected as well as any other Major League sport? Beer leaguers, rarely, if ever - sink as low.

There's a lot I can forgive, it's hockey and players, including those on our teams during the WCE and Sedin era,  chirped too.   We had a collection of chirpers.   Cooke, Ruutu, Burrows, Kesler, Torres, Lappy,  O'Brian to name some.     It helped create the last great rivalry this team had in CHI, and SJ was also a mini one as well.    It's a sport, we shouldn't get too wound up about it.   Shane O'Brians story's about his time with us on "Missing Curfew" are pretty priceless.  

We gave as good as we got, the media is the only issue I have.   Guys like Bolland, Benn, Seguin, Thornton, Marchand,  Thomas,  etc they sure liked to take some sound bites and or moments and create storylines out of them.  When your own media is the one creating this crap, and Ghallagher is constantly writing about tinfoil had stuff, with his skilled wordsmithing, it's no wonder our fanbase still has buttons on things that happened up to two plus decades ago now.   Let's be real, we've had our share of pests too.   That have said and done something's, i'm sure other fans aren't too crazy about as well.    Ruutu was probably the best at it,  aside from Essa Tikanen (we had him for a bit too), don't think i've ever seen a guy get players mad enough to take the instigator.    It rarely happens now, even after a cheapshot,  pretty much only after a clean hard hit. 

Watch Shoresy, it's fictional, also isn't far off on the craft of getting under players skin, it's tactical.   This sort of thing happens all the time.    The fact it was our own media who coined that phrase is sad.    Sure hope that they don't start in on EP.    Kind of did in the playoffs to a degree.   Hank and Daniel had the last laugh for sure.   What an amazing pair of players, and truly great people too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1