Petey do we really need him?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I think you just provided an excellent explanation why he should have never been signed for almost $12M/yr like Mackinnon and McJesus.  Watching him all but disappear after he signed his contract is very concerning to say the least, especially watching him shrivel-up in the playoffs.  

Thankfully his new contract next year DOES NOT come with a NTC for the first year of that contract, so if his demise continues then JR can step in and dump PA's overpriced contract with Petty and unload him to some eastern team.  They may to swallow some of his $12Million dollar contract because no other team in their right mind would pay $12M for a guy that only had 2 goals since the middle of March last winter but better to dump him with some cap and salary retention than get stuck with him for the full $12M for more than half a decade playing like all the other swedish freeloaders we've had on this team for the last 55 years. 

I don't think many will shed any tears after what we saw from him for the last 4 months since January.   Besides anyone that's watched the Canucks for 40+ years knows; We will never - ever - win a stanley cup with a regular season Finesse Swede as our #1 prominent player.   Been there- done that !

EPs making the same money Mathew Tkchuck is.   Would 9.5 x 8 make you as mad?

What are your feelings about Lidstrom?   Sundin?  Forsberg?  Sedins,  Naslund?    We've only ever had two pearson winners.   As in the players voting their pick for the best in the world.    Who were they?   And who was also playing at that time.    Gradin.   

We also didn't win a cup with a team loaded with Canadians.   Plus one Russian.    Fighting is all but gone.   Zadarov is russian and is our nuclear deterrent.    Russians were also considered "pussies" because they wouldn't fight.    Punch up in Piscany, those Russians never fought in their lives.   First time for everything.    Ohlund has a couple fights that's it, and wasn't very good at it.    Is he a pussy too?     

As for Lidstrom, arguably the most overrated defenseman in my lifetime.   Excellent, but not the best in the 90's, and didn't have nearly the competition in the 2000's.   He was the first non North American Captain to win a cup.   Since then, Russia has one ... not sure if there are others.     

So can get where you're coming from as far as the math goes.     The important math, you're not factoring in, is we pay 53+ percent taxes in Vancouver.    Where as Dallas, Florida, Vegas, Seattle, Tampa Bay pay 36.6%.  Toronto has the same taxes we do, so does Ottawa.    So does Montreal.    Dubas was flamed for how much he had to pay for Tavares, Mathews, Marner, and Nylander.      We've finally got a guy who's a center and a top ten one at that.    Who's at his legacy deal.   I'd bet every single cent in my bank account, if we only had to pay 36.6%, he'd of signed at 10.5, definitely under 11.    Would you be so upset, if his contract was 10.5 x 8?   Curiously, his take home is almost exactly what Mathew Tckchuk's is, and he's getting 9.5.    And that's what his agent said they'd be looking at as his next deal, going back to last off season.

EPs taking home around 5.5 million.   Same as MT.  Barkov is taking home around 6.2.     That's something worthy of getting a little bit pissy about, and is the correct target, why a Canadian team hasn't won the cup since salary disclosure, and especially since the cap.    The "math" says, a Canadian team should win a cup every  4-5 years since 1993.    Save your angst for that.  One of the few competitive advantages, is our city and climate has a history with great Swedish players.   We should be grateful for that.    Also why we got as close as anyone.   CAL, EDM, Van all game 7's. 

IMG_4113.png

IMG_4112.png

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

As for the topic.   Absolutely we need EP.   We'd be screwed without him, no chance at a cup.   Some players take time to adjust, hockey is the only major sport in the North America, where things go to an entirely different level come playoff time.

Without EP, we don't even make the playoffs.   Or barely scrape in as a wild card team.    Those early wins, and again in December and January, we don't get the points.    

He's had a real taste now.   

To be fair, he didn't get great linemate's.   And it's apparent he's no Crosby or McKinnon or McDavid.   As in capable of driving his own line with one plug and one middle six guy.   Few players are.  And only Crosby has had to do this at times of those guys.   Rust.    EPs also not getting the same cap percentage as those guys got either.   His starting cap percentage is based on the year he signed, so close to 14%.   Not 16.6% like McDavid, Crosby, both those guys could have received the max as well.    And all those guys, even McDavid, play in places with significant less taxes.   

During the peak Sedin era, our taxes were on par with EDM's, around 47.5%.   COL and PIT, just over 40%.   So 11-12% less than us.   

EPs starting cap percentage, by the time he's 29-30, i've done the projections, likely will be around the exact same as the Sedins contracts were at the same age.    It will be QHs deal that is under scrutiny then, assuming he stays.  

Without EP, we won't win a cup with this core.    Could we trade him?   It's more like should we even consider that.     All the pressure is on him now, and Allvin too, to find a suitable running mate.    No team can have it all under the cap, like teams used to be able to do.   Even the no state tax teams although they sure have a leg up on the rest.    And keep making the final four for the most part.   Rare that a high tax team makes it.   EDM is clumped in there with the CALi and NY teams.    The tier below us.   NYI did it back to back with Trotz.   SJ is the last high tax team to make it to the final. 

We simply have to accept it for what it is.    EPs getting paid for get 100 plus points a year now.     Sure rooting for him.   Tochett and co, provide some degree of re-assurance.    I'd rather EP scores 90 and we win a lot more games, then him scoring 100 and blowing multi goal leads.    Think if we can find EP one guy with a blue chip top six pedigree, things will settle down quickly, and next time, he won't have a bad playoffs. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I don't buy the good line mates thing. Anyone who can play shows it in their own right. So you get tightly checked 5 on 5 yes, but there are opportunities to score with a little Sedinery. One top shelf every 3 games is too much to ask for? Even with all the pp time? I noticed Draisaitl likes to shoot from the same spot deep RW. 

Drai has 9 g in 15 playoff games 

EP has 1 g in 13 playoff games

Is the knee really that connected to the wrists? There is no linemate involved in helping you shoot.

ps following my one goal every 3 game logic, would 3 more Petie goals in the playoffs have helped us that much?

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't buy the good line mates thing. Anyone who can play shows it in their own right. So you get tightly checked 5 on 5 yes, but there are opportunities to score with a little Sedinery. One top shelf every 3 games is too much to ask for? Even with all the pp time? I noticed Draisaitl likes to shoot from the same spot deep RW. 

Is the knee really that connected to the wrists? There is no linemate involved in helping you shoot.

ps following my one goal every 3 game logic, would 3 more Petie goals in the playoffs have helped us that much?

I don't think he was able to get into areas to score and didn't get power from his legs as much, so he didn't shoot.

20 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I don't think he was able to get into areas to score and didn't get power from his legs as much, so he didn't shoot.

Yeah the pk was really good against us those 2 series.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 7:29 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't buy the good line mates thing. Anyone who can play shows it in their own right. So you get tightly checked 5 on 5 yes, but there are opportunities to score with a little Sedinery. One top shelf every 3 games is too much to ask for?

Is Miller the same without Boeser?

Is Joshua the same without Garland?

EP is an amazing & very reliable set up man, who’s line-mates couldn’t finish-off prime chances, even into open nets! Conversely, they wouldn’t set him up as readily & missed him in prime spots - if he sprung free…or they’d think of it, just that milli-second too late. He really needs guys who skate fast, think fast, snipe one-timers, battle, dig & then continue to battle some more! 

I’m sure all the noise from national & local media-types plus the impatient critiques & rantings from local fans on & off social media affected him… & way more than it would affect previously traded or jaded players. His family hearing it, while in this city watching his first post-bubble play-offs, must have felt it all, likewise! Did they notice the chorus of celebrations for his team’s lofty success…or instead hear the thunder of whining petty ingrates carving  their son up like a sacrificial lamb with their painful slurs & insulting words piercing him like hot pokers, or weighing his confidence down like lead balloons? 

As fans, especially during the play-offs…our one job is to show-up & tilt the ice in the favour of our team, as that ever-enigmatic 7th man! In that way, we help them to find lost confidence, to believe that the improbable can be achieved, & offer-up hope when the odds-makers say otherwise. 

If these players were our literal  family members, …would we be heckling them, punking them, ridiculing them all over social media…or would we go all out to spur them on?

Be in EP’s corner,…because all the positive energy that Canucks’ Nation puts out into the world WILL find him. The opposite of that …is also true.

Be the cure….or become a part of the curse.

Boeser barely survived his very lengthy battle against the noise of negativity in VanCity & months of doubting abuse from so-called fans. Let’s learn something, here. EP will, also. 

Positivity lights the lamp!

We almost made it through on a lot of that extra light vs Edmonton, despite the darkness of this league’s best machinations by seeding that series with the biased presence & efforts of both Sutherland & O’Rourke. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 5/9/2024 at 1:35 PM, Falcons said:

There are some key players that have showed up in these playoffs and will be ufa’s this year and next.

Lindholm,Joshua,Zadorov,Boeser

Blueger,Myers

Should the Canucks shop Petey for a trade ( salary dump) if needed to keep these players on the team?

Only a miran would think we don’t need Petey. Are you a moran? Don’t hide behind a skirt. Answer. Are you a Moran or a  coward?  Alf believes you’re a coward. That’s what trolls are: cowards. Alf does not expect a reply. Cowards go dumb when challenged. How does it feel being yellow? Chicken sh*t. Come downtown. Skf will like to meet you. 

• Cheers 1

Miller was excellent shutting down McD. What ever he got was grave shutting down the beat player. Joshua stood out as a physical presence. 

I was there screaming for Petie in game 5. We were waiting for him to turn it on but it never happened.  

Petie isn't a set up man if that's what he's turning into that contract is way off.

Draisaitl played either with McDavid and Hyman on his line or with Kane and Nugent-Hopkins... all of them are top six. 

Pettersson had no one like that playing with him till the two final games of the Edmonton series.

Second, you clearly don't play hockey... because the power of a shot comes from the legs and their motion... anyone who has trained their shooting skills knows that.  With no good knee to brace the leg muscles, his shot was impacted.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Weren’t the Sedins two players?  How do you expect Petey to do some Sedinery when he is only one player?  

• Cheers 4

I think people forget how young Petey is. He's 25 years old. There's not many players that old who hit 100pts. Seems as though most good players peak around 27-30 years old these days. We can't be comparing Petey to McDavid and Draisaitl and McKinnon, but we should compare him to the tier (or two) below them. If we can get 90-100pts and good two-way play from Petey we should be happy and that's more or less what we're getting. Yes, he tailed off, injury or not, but that was his first proper playoff experience. 

I'd say to have patience with him. The cap hit always hurts fans - look at Boeser's cap hit and how it made everyone think of him. Look at OEL's cap hit, and Myer's and LE's cap hit. It really changes what people think of the player. The difference between those guy's and Petey's is that Petey is a young player so this is paying it forward - a bit like Boeser's. Look at Brock now - one of the best goal scorer's and playoff performers in the league, suddenly 6M doesn't sound so bad?

The same will (hopefully) be true with Petey. There's always a chance it won't be, but Canucks management have put their eggs in the Petey basket based on his play up until now and there's not many young players who drop 100pts like he has so why not?

Going forward we have to support him until he hits his true prime because I don't think we've even really seen that yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Weren’t the Sedins two players?  How do you expect Petey to do some Sedinery when he is only one player?  

Magic, to do magic. 

He needs trickery at his size.

And he needs his shot. Which went somewhere. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Draisaitl played either with McDavid and Hyman on his line or with Kane and Nugent-Hopkins... all of them are top six. 

Pettersson had no one like that playing with him till the two final games of the Edmonton series.

Second, you clearly don't play hockey... because the power of a shot comes from the legs and their motion... anyone who has trained their shooting skills knows that.  With no good knee to brace the leg muscles, his shot was impacted.

Petie is on his own on the pp. His set play is on RW. And he got his looks. On the pp it's not about linemates at all.

He got set up a lot. I remember him not even hitting the net a few times.

Surely he's better than 1 fkn goal in 13 playoff games.

Just really tired of his excuses. 

And if it's like this next playoffs?

We're hooped. And we're in a new territory with the playoffs, it's not 82 games anymore it's more like 100 games. In it to win it.

Another thing I'm sick of IF these guys are crying saying they're injured WHY THE FK DON'T WE USE LTIR, AND ACTIVATE THAT CAP. WHY DO WE NEED MARTYR'S LIMPING AROUND FLAILING AROUND ON THE ICE?

It's frustrating. 

Mik should have sat til January.  

Petie should have skipped the fkn all stars. Petie should have sat the last 2 weeks before the playoffs. 

Woe is me I'm playing injured, fk me.

Rant over.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

the double standard fans here have on players are baffling.. quite a few are calling to get rid of EP he has peaked plateaued or whatever.. so did JT miller peaked and plateaued at the age of 24? he hit 58 points and then at the age of 25 he regressed to 47 points.. so in theory he shouldn't have hit 99 points at the age of 28 and 103 at the age of 30 right? or does that only apply to players you want to hate on? 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 5/29/2024 at 5:53 AM, IBatch said:

EPs making the same money Mathew Tkchuck is.   Would 9.5 x 8 make you as mad?

What are your feelings about Lidstrom?   Sundin?  Forsberg?  Sedins,  Naslund?    We've only ever had two pearson winners.   As in the players voting their pick for the best in the world.    Who were they?   And who was also playing at that time.    Gradin.   

We also didn't win a cup with a team loaded with Canadians.   Plus one Russian.    Fighting is all but gone.   Zadarov is russian and is our nuclear deterrent.    Russians were also considered "pussies" because they wouldn't fight.    Punch up in Piscany, those Russians never fought in their lives.   First time for everything.    Ohlund has a couple fights that's it, and wasn't very good at it.    Is he a pussy too?     

As for Lidstrom, arguably the most overrated defenseman in my lifetime.   Excellent, but not the best in the 90's, and didn't have nearly the competition in the 2000's.   He was the first non North American Captain to win a cup.   Since then, Russia has one ... not sure if there are others.     

There was an interview with Linden and Smyl together and they were talking about the best players they had played against… Gretzky for both as a forward, Patrick Roy for a goalie for both, Denis Potvin as a dman for Smyl and Lidstrm as a dman for Linden. He certainly wasn’t overrated.

• Vintage 1

I'm also not buyng it though.

I don't gaf about Seravalli. Pete didn't perform and has many years to make up for it. I think the experience was punishment enough. He knows the task in front of him. Pete is an incredibly determined kid. He's going to lead this team. Lindholm and Miller were 100% better than him this playoffs though. I won't bet agains't Pete to let that happen again.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

EP is getting his BIG contract next year.  Canucks need to find him a bonafide top 6 winger that can pop in 30g 80pts (kinda like Boeser) so that line can be a threat.  

Just hope EP isn’t like Marner.  Great in the regular season but fades away in the Playoffs.

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 9:39 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Petie is on his own on the pp. His set play is on RW. And he got his looks. On the pp it's not about linemates at all.

He got set up a lot. I remember him not even hitting the net a few times.

Surely he's better than 1 fkn goal in 13 playoff games.

Just really tired of his excuses. 

And if it's like this next playoffs?

We're hooped. And we're in a new territory with the playoffs, it's not 82 games anymore it's more like 100 games. In it to win it.

Another thing I'm sick of IF these guys are crying saying they're injured WHY THE FK DON'T WE USE LTIR, AND ACTIVATE THAT CAP. WHY DO WE NEED MARTYR'S LIMPING AROUND FLAILING AROUND ON THE ICE?

It's frustrating. 

Mik should have sat til January.  

Petie should have skipped the fkn all stars. Petie should have sat the last 2 weeks before the playoffs. 

Woe is me I'm playing injured, fk me.

Rant over.

As a former high performance athlete, it’s all about adapting to your new normal, when injured, & that’s never instantaneous. You also have the tricky situation of not making your recovery or an injury any worse.

Pain is a frontier in & off itself. The burden of the games one’s mind will play…requires a complicated balancing act, too. Intense media pressure? No help! Muscle memory is great…until those things are all out of sync.

EP has to use the knowledge he’s gained on playing injured, and utilizing it by informing his teammates on how to adjust to also perhaps, or learn to break  through, take on more pain & burying the fear of the unknown, after that.

Play in these most fleeting of moments, ever & always!!! That’s a championship mentality! NOT always cautious or NOR wise…but fully-invested, self-sacrificing & ALL-in!!! 

Edited by viking mama

16 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Dump him for a half decent haul and sign lindy.

And doing what you suggest will get us closer to the Cup? IMHAO we can’t win a Cup without Petey or a player of his level. Lindy is a good player but he’s not the level of Petey. 

• Cheers 1