Petey do we really need him?

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 8:22 AM, HKSR said:

Or..... we become the city where players adopt the mentality:  "Meh, if we fuck up, they'll love us anyway."

Ohhhh, as a previous goalie graveyard, &’having launched a record number of jersey tosses to the ice…^that’s clearly not this city’s history.

Yet, during play-off runs & as long as Sutherland & O’Rourke are still elligibly being deployed by the league to thwart ‘em, I will attempt to give’ my ‘Nucks any edge - especially when it’s something as simple as extra belief, cheering &/or energy!

Altho, the bar is being set quite high, patience remains a virtue…unless, of course, your first-round draft pick was Jake “Tuna” Virtanen. That particular failure in character analysis plus failure to launch &/or trade experience was unforgivable.  

That particular dude is no longer rostered with VAN, nor are we in an “active” play-off run. I think his teammates, & veteran Canucks’ players themselves, dropped enough zingers & hints, that JV wasn’t good news or the proper fit for the culture being sought in the organization. These are not the kind of feelings or revelations we get regarding or surrounding, All-Star - EP40! 

^Patience will be a virtue, in this case, surely… believe it!

Edited by viking mama

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Gotta say if you don't understand the difference between a Pettersson and a Bure, you really don't know hockey.

Bure was a player who could do it all on his own... he had the speed, acceleration and moves.  He was a Bobby Hull type player... a dynamic pure scorer.

Pettersson is a Gretzky type of player... you never saw Gretzky accelerate away from multiple players with pure speed and stick handle through a whole team... instead you saw him make the perfect pass, use his wingers and the rest of the team around... slide to the open ice... hold on to the puck and dish... often his game was at a slower pace.  That is exactly what Pettersson does when he is playing at his best.  But that type of skill requires Wingers who know they need to go to the open ice where Gretzky/Pettersson can find them... and they need to be able to bury the puck when they get that chance.  All season I watched Mikheyev/Lafferty/whoever either not go to the right place, or screw up their opportunities when they were sent in alone.  Hoglander is good enough that he converted some of Pettersson's passes when the puck was put on his stick, but he is not a playmaker himself, he has not shown to this point he understands give and go, or setting up a linemate.

Pettersson needs good linemates to put up big numbers.

And I will make a prediction right now that if Tocchet does not put a decent winger, or preferably two decent wingers with him, Pettersson will have another less than optimum season.

Putting Pettersson with a bunch of 4th liners or Rookes and expecting him to be a McDavid, MacKinnon or Lemieux type of player is not going to see him have the type of real success he is capable of.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Gotta say if you don't understand the difference between a Pettersson and a Bure, you really don't know hockey.

Bure was a player who could do it all on his own... he had the speed, acceleration and moves.  He was a Bobby Hull type player... a dynamic pure scorer.

Pettersson is a Gretzky type of player... you never saw Gretzky accelerate away from multiple players with pure speed and stick handle through a whole team... instead you saw him make the perfect pass, use his wingers and the rest of the team around... slide to the open ice... hold on to the puck and dish... often his game was at a slower pace.  That is exactly what Pettersson does when he is playing at his best.  But that type of skill requires Wingers who know they need to go to the open ice where Gretzky/Pettersson can find them... and they need to be able to bury the puck when they get that chance.  All season I watched Mikheyev/Lafferty/whoever either not go to the right place, or screw up their opportunities when they were sent in alone.  Hoglander is good enough that he converted some of Pettersson's passes when the puck was put on his stick, but he is not a playmaker himself, he has not shown to this point he understands give and go, or setting up a linemate.

Pettersson needs good linemates to put up big numbers.

And I will make a prediction right now that if Tocchet does not put a decent winger, or preferably two decent wingers with him, Pettersson will have another less than optimum season.

Putting Pettersson with a bunch of 4th liners or Rookes and expecting him to be a McDavid, MacKinnon or Lemieux type of player is not going to see him have the type of real success he is capable of.

Saying you need wingers is a bit of a cop out imo

He's not B Morrison

On 6/11/2024 at 4:05 AM, Bonkers said:

What about putting Boeser with Petey next season. Wouldn't JT be able to drive his own line with PDG, Podz, Garland or whoever, better than Petey?

I think that would also be a mistake.

JT needs a good winger in the same way Petey does... he and Boeser fed off each other's creativity all season.  I also think Boeser fits Miller's forecheck style better than he fits with Pettersson.  Yes, he could play with Pettersson and would make him better, but best to leave him with Miller.  That line also had Suter, who although he wasn't up to real top six standards because he can't finish half the gimmes he got giftwrapped for him, did have a decent year and does understand how position himself.  Next to Garland and Joshua, Suter is the best of bottom six... but he really should be centering the 4th line.  Maybe Suter will improve his finish this year... hopefully.

Putting Boeser aside, Petey needs at least one top six player on his line... could be Lindholm, could be someone else.  In a pinch, he would also probably do well with Garland and Joshua... not top sixers, but high level 3rd liners.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

I think that would also be a mistake.

JT needs a good winger in the same way Petey does... he and Boeser fed off each other's creativity all season.  I also think Boeser fits Miller's forecheck style better than he fits with Pettersson.  Yes, he could play with Pettersson and would make him better, but best to leave him with Miller.  That line also had Suter, who although he wasn't up to real top six standards because he can't finish half the gimmes he got giftwrapped for him, did have a decent year and does understand how position himself.  Next to Garland and Joshua, Suter is the best of bottom six... but he really should be centering the 4th line.  Maybe Suter will improve his finish this year... hopefully.

Putting Boeser aside, Petey needs at least one top six player on his line... could be Lindholm, could be someone else.  In a pinch, he would also probably do well with Garland and Joshua... not top sixers, but high level 3rd liners.

I agree with this. Boeser and Miller play off each other well off the cycle and down low. They became the main duo on the team, really liked how heavy their game was during the playoffs. 

Petey likely needs someone to play a give and go/shoot mentality while being able to play off the rush well. Petey seems to create his offense best in transition rather than the down low play like JT and Brock do. It made sense why Tocchet tried force feeding Petey - Hoglander and Mikheyev because they are quick and use their speed in transition, but they lacked finish and finesse.

Guy put up 100+ points last season, said he's been dealing with a lingering knee injury since the beginning of the year (which some people don't believe for....reasons...despite it lining up perfectly with his decline in play), and still managed 89 points. 

Y'all need to calm your tits. And yes, we should probably consider finding him a good winger to play with. I doubt Henrik puts up the point totals he does if he doesn't have Daniel on his wing.

Regardless, he's locked in long term and that contract ain't being moved now.

• Upvote 1

I will reserve judgement until the next All Star break.

He was nursing a knee injury since the one this year - so let us see how he does next season.

We need him - to be great.

Watched Donnie & Dhali earlier, but it was just that dweeb Ryan and Dhali. 

Dhali was ranting that Pettersson's $11.6 is the least of the Canucks problems, but then goes in to say their priority is trying to re-sign the 7 UFAs, but they won't be able to because there's not enough money. 

Ummm, Dhali.....If they didn't pay Petey so much, they might be able to afford to re-sign most guys, so yes, Pettersson's new giant contract is an issue. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Watched Donnie & Dhali earlier, but it was just that dweeb Ryan and Dhali. 

Dhali was ranting that Pettersson's $11.6 is the least of the Canucks problems, but then goes in to say their priority is trying to re-sign the 7 UFAs, but they won't be able to because there's not enough money. 

Ummm, Dhali.....If they didn't pay Petey so much, they might be able to afford to re-sign most guys, so yes, Pettersson's new giant contract is an issue. 

Ya he treat his listeners like idiots and gets a laugh out of it.

"can't sign Zadorov, not enough money" "7 million for a mythical winger" "Hughes just HAS to have Hronek, he is no good if he doesn't have him"

The thing about Hughes, every season, every partner has been the best he has had. Is just possible Hughes improvement is due to his getting stronger and better?

Maybe that contract is part of a sign and trade and Pettersson knows this? Maybe it is still a Necas +++ for Pettersson? Maybe that is why his game went for shat right after signing that contract?

Pettersson in the playoffs was a negative for the team. He could have sat and not been noticed. 

On 6/17/2024 at 12:35 PM, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Guy put up 100+ points last season, said he's been dealing with a lingering knee injury since the beginning of the year (which some people don't believe for....reasons...despite it lining up perfectly with his decline in play), and still managed 89 points. 

Y'all need to calm your tits. And yes, we should probably consider finding him a good winger to play with. I doubt Henrik puts up the point totals he does if he doesn't have Daniel on his wing.

Regardless, he's locked in long term and that contract ain't being moved now.

I agree.

• Cheers 1