Petey do we really need him?

3 hours ago, viking mama said:

As a former high performance athlete, it’s all about adapting to your new normal, when injured, & that’s never instantaneous. You also have the tricky situation of not making your recovery or an injury any worse.

Pain is a frontier in & off itself. The burden of the games one’s mind will play…requires a complicated balancing act, too. Intense media pressure? No help! Muscle memory is great…until those things are all out of sync.

EP has to use the knowledge he’s gained on playing injured, and utilizing it by informing his teammates on how to adjust to also perhaps, or learn to break  through, take on more pain & burying the fear of the unknown, after that.

Play in these most fleeting of moments, ever & always!!! That’s a championship mentality! NOT always cautious or NOR wise…but fully-invested, self-sacrificing & ALL-in!!! 

Can I ask you something I've been thinking of, what if Petie turns out to be an 80 point guy for the next 5 years. And maybe he finds his stride again for a couple of 100 point seasons.

Does that contract hold up?

One more thing about Petie's playoff performance. 

FUCK THE ALL STARS!

All stars can go kick rocks.

I knew it then, stated as much.

But noooo, look at me I'm at the all stars shooting at empty fkn boxes.

Fk resting:

I needs me some accolades.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Can I ask you something I've been thinking of, what if Petie turns out to be an 80 point guy for the next 5 years. And maybe he finds his stride again for a couple of 100 point seasons.

I believe Petey would walk away from his contract - if extremely unhappy with his life in this league…or some other team would definitely take a chance that his coming into a new situation,.. would thereby revive all of his potential.

Naslund, Miller, even the one that got away, Cam Neely, blossomed & got more steely later on in their careers.

The irritating impatience some people have with Petey experiencing just a blip less productivity, right now, is absurd. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

WHAT IF.... WHAT IF.... WHAT IF....

Maybe time for you to wait and see what happens.

Edited by -Buzzsaw-
  • Cheers 1

On 5/29/2024 at 6:53 AM, viking mama said:

Seguin, who had recently departed the Bruins organization after winning the Stanley Cup in his rookie season, & had been traded to Dallas in an effort to uproot him from social influences detrimental to his professional career, yakked it up with his new teammate, Jaimie Benn, on a sports talk show.

The fact that the brothers roomed together on the road, became a topic of ridicule, etc. Seguin & Benn’s  naivety & immaturity was glaring. But,  ridiculing the Sedins, who a mere season prior had won league awards & competed in the SCup Final, was uber-disrepectful in the context of listening to such ungraciousness from a Cup winner, in juxtaposition to the character of his runner-ups. This is something that burns me, to this day.

Nothing is more despicable than maligning one’s opponent in victory - after what should have been a fair & honourable competition of sport. 

Benn’s flops & leadership gaffs in a game 7, of last year’s play-off season, brought me a wee bit of  satisfaction - as Lady Karma seemed to get him back. Yet, more than anything, I hope that this year’s Stanley Cup is raised by a team full of players, who are far more honourable than NOT….because modelling on-ice behaviours for our young players & people in general - is something that NHL leadership players, usually, at the very least, pretend to do.

I firmly KNOW, however, that the Sedins have modelled decency, integrity, good sportsmanship & tenacity of spirit - authentically, for their entire careers. I & others hold them in very high esteem & regard  - indeed.

The jury remains-out on Seguin & Benn.

Benn later apologised for saying it...

• Thanks 2

On 5/29/2024 at 10:54 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

The only embarrassing part above hammering a 23 old into the ice, was the total lack of response from the rest of the team...

This would not happen to the team of today... maybe see what happens this season, before crap all over him... still only 25... maybe you are right, but way too early to write him off...

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/29/2024 at 3:29 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't buy the good line mates thing. Anyone who can play shows it in their own right. So you get tightly checked 5 on 5 yes, but there are opportunities to score with a little Sedinery. One top shelf every 3 games is too much to ask for? Even with all the pp time? I noticed Draisaitl likes to shoot from the same spot deep RW. 

Drai has 9 g in 15 playoff games 

EP has 1 g in 13 playoff games

Is the knee really that connected to the wrists? There is no linemate involved in helping you shoot.

ps following my one goal every 3 game logic, would 3 more Petie goals in the playoffs have helped us that much?

Draisaitl is 3 years older than Petey... and solid build... I think, we also all remember Petey hammering them in from the same spot regular up to this season...

Lets see... 

On 5/31/2024 at 5:39 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Petie is on his own on the pp. His set play is on RW. And he got his looks. On the pp it's not about linemates at all.

He got set up a lot. I remember him not even hitting the net a few times.

Surely he's better than 1 fkn goal in 13 playoff games.

Just really tired of his excuses. 

And if it's like this next playoffs?

We're hooped. And we're in a new territory with the playoffs, it's not 82 games anymore it's more like 100 games. In it to win it.

Another thing I'm sick of IF these guys are crying saying they're injured WHY THE FK DON'T WE USE LTIR, AND ACTIVATE THAT CAP. WHY DO WE NEED MARTYR'S LIMPING AROUND FLAILING AROUND ON THE ICE?

It's frustrating. 

Mik should have sat til January.  

Petie should have skipped the fkn all stars. Petie should have sat the last 2 weeks before the playoffs. 

Woe is me I'm playing injured, fk me.

Rant over.

Yep... and both Petey AND management are to be blamed for this...  same as over playing Demko...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:29 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't buy the good line mates thing. Anyone who can play shows it in their own right. So you get tightly checked 5 on 5 yes, but there are opportunities to score with a little Sedinery. One top shelf every 3 games is too much to ask for? Even with all the pp time? I noticed Draisaitl likes to shoot from the same spot deep RW. 

Drai has 9 g in 15 playoff games 

EP has 1 g in 13 playoff games

Is the knee really that connected to the wrists? There is no linemate involved in helping you shoot.

ps following my one goal every 3 game logic, would 3 more Petie goals in the playoffs have helped us that much?

Was thinking the same at times, it's not like he didn't make Goldobin look like a legit NHLer for a little while.     Thing is,  Mikheyev was a black hole when set up, zero finish,  Lafferty shouldn't be in the top six, Hogs lost all his ability to finish (and he scored some absolute beauties this year, highly skilled goals) ... and like expected, EP played with an injury throughout.    Team needs him back starting at 100%.    And somehow needs to figure out how to get him at least a middle six guy who can Pearson that line while we wait for Lekkermaki to show up.     Won't be easy, and it likely will require some major tinkering.   Ilya Mikheyev, Joshua and Garland.    

Won't be shocked to see a brand new bottom six.   And a bigger name for EP.   Lindholm maybe.    

Tochett im sure will be a big part in making some of these decisions.   Who he considers untouchable.    

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Benn later apologised for saying it...

Also a local Island boy.   Would have loved Benn on our team, and despite his lack of judgement, don't take those things too personally unless the player is a major douche-bag, which of course he isn't.   His heroics in 2014 Sochi, was his coming out party.   One of the best players in the league in the 2010's, and heir apparent to Iginla as far as Canadian power forwards go.   And maybe the last one for awhile.   Who's even left?

At this point, we don't even have one, and won't be surprised to see him get a nod in the Olympics, at 36 or so, if he can keep it up.   The US has a few.    Benn is ridiculously strong for a guy his size,  and is still at it.    Sure wouldn't mind him as our third line center.    And if he doesn't retire in Dallas, and his body holds out, wouldn't shock me at all to see him take on a minor support player role on the Canucks to help us win a cup either.    Bygones be bygones.   Even Joe Thornton,  that was part of why it made the rivalry so good, this is sports,  trash talk and tactical prodding is part of the game behind the game, the mental one.    The Sedins and Thornton have a competitive history that goes back before they were in the NHL.   That rivalry wasn't sullied like the CHI one. 

60, 78 points the past two seasons, playing just over 15 minutes a game.    We could sure need some of that from a 3rd line center,  even a second line wouldn't be too bad.   Dallas has done a great job drafting and creating a core to take over their old one. 

Jamie Benn and Reinhart, are two good old BC boys,  that sure wouldn't mind seeing wear the Orca and Skate at some point.    Rhino is a UFA ... massive fish.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Slegr said:

Petey will come back next season with something to prove. He’s tired of getting pushed around. Last season he perfected the reverse hit. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s working on throwing more types of hits right now.

Love to see EP work with a dietician to maximize his testosterone output and add some muscles.   EP at 195 would be just right, that's going to take sometime yet.    He's got the frame to be lean at 195 and not lose any of his speed or agility, likely gain some.     What happened this playoff, was exactly why scouts didn't have him at the top of the draft.   "The most pure skill"  at 149lbs.    He's come a long way.    Even 10lbs would make a difference, 20 would be superb.   If he wants to add hitting to his portfolio, then focus on power lifts and pyramid sets, and the right foods.   For sure he's fighting his biology to a degree, he's also at an age where those teenage gene's can be put aside.    And adding 3 lbs of hard earned muscle a month is very doable, requires a big commitment to weight training.   He'd be much harder on the puck, and significantly stronger.   The difference in weights guys can do at 175 and 200lbs, percentage wise, the strength wise is massive.   It also would reduce risk of injury on the ice.   

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Draisaitl is 3 years older than Petey... and solid build... I think, we also all remember Petey hammering them in from the same spot regular up to this season...

Lets see... 

Yep... and both Petey AND management are to be blamed for this...  same as over playing Demko...

I know eh

It's a 100 game season if you expect to go all the way. Some bigger beefier guys are more built for the long haul but not finesse skill guys. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Love to see EP work with a dietician to maximize his testosterone output and add some muscles.   EP at 195 would be just right, that's going to take sometime yet.    He's got the frame to be lean at 195 and not lose any of his speed or agility, likely gain some.     What happened this playoff, was exactly why scouts didn't have him at the top of the draft.   "The most pure skill"  at 149lbs.    He's come a long way.    Even 10lbs would make a difference, 20 would be superb.   If he wants to add hitting to his portfolio, then focus on power lifts and pyramid sets, and the right foods.   For sure he's fighting his biology to a degree, he's also at an age where those teenage gene's can be put aside.    And adding 3 lbs of hard earned muscle a month is very doable, requires a big commitment to weight training.   He'd be much harder on the puck, and significantly stronger.   The difference in weights guys can do at 175 and 200lbs, percentage wise, the strength wise is massive.   It also would reduce risk of injury on the ice.   

Going to come back all swoll like the Golden Brent.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 5:24 AM, IBatch said:

There's a lot I can forgive, it's hockey and players, including those on our teams during the WCE and Sedin era,  chirped too.   We had a collection of chirpers.   Cooke, Ruutu, Burrows, Kesler, Torres, Lappy,  O'Brian to name some.     It helped create the last great rivalry this team had in CHI, and SJ was also a mini one as well.    It's a sport, we shouldn't get too wound up about it.   Shane O'Brians story's about his time with us on "Missing Curfew" are pretty priceless.  

We gave as good as we got, the media is the only issue I have.   Guys like Bolland, Benn, Seguin, Thornton, Marchand,  Thomas,  etc they sure liked to take some sound bites and or moments and create storylines out of them.  When your own media is the one creating this crap, and Ghallagher is constantly writing about tinfoil had stuff, with his skilled wordsmithing, it's no wonder our fanbase still has buttons on things that happened up to two plus decades ago now.   Let's be real, we've had our share of pests too.   That have said and done something's, i'm sure other fans aren't too crazy about as well.    Ruutu was probably the best at it,  aside from Essa Tikanen (we had him for a bit too), don't think i've ever seen a guy get players mad enough to take the instigator.    It rarely happens now, even after a cheapshot,  pretty much only after a clean hard hit. 

Watch Shoresy, it's fictional, also isn't far off on the craft of getting under players skin, it's tactical.   This sort of thing happens all the time.    The fact it was our own media who coined that phrase is sad.    Sure hope that they don't start in on EP.    Kind of did in the playoffs to a degree.   Hank and Daniel had the last laugh for sure.   What an amazing pair of players, and truly great people too. 

^Messier was THAT kind of Captain, too. Yet, please, that can’t & shouldn’t be the model for today’s current batch of  generational players. 

Messier was such a punk cheap-shot artist who clearly disrespected his fellow union bros as human beings. He frequently thumbed his nose at the rules of the game, which he was contracted to abide by. He became a serial on-ice predator & few referees seemed ballsy enough to stop him, while he captained the NYR,…which was likely by design. 

Thank God, for video-replays, now! It’s not a cure for the total enablement of players like Mark Messier, because the interpretation of on-ice drama is still involved - but it has certainly been helped! 

Messier was a heavily-touted O-6 entity….who rarely faced accountability for his more “questionable” plays, head-shots & intent-to-injure actions. He was never trust-worthy enough to be an Olympian! Yet, that’s the kind of role-model & NHL captain current old-school owners & Gary Bettman still choose to glorify, with a year-end, mixed-messaging, Mark Messier Leadership Award??!!!

More respectable former-players turned team presidents & hockey executives… like Sakic & Yzerman steer their teams a little differently & set their leadership-standards, elsewhere! 

Bettman’s pretense at having enacted more progressive CBAs, in-game rules is a mere marketing ploy…..to be damned, really! The NHLOA’’s most senior, yet not quite retired, show-up regularly in these more highly-contested games around the league & during the play-offs - to do their mischief which results in a lot more drama to misinterpret….for greedy purposes. 

Until the League Commissioner’s post has a person of integrity in it, I will question the fairness of the results around the league & suspect meddling by the league’s longest serving power-brokers.

“Gambling” has made this year’s clearly improperly-vetted NHLOA selections officiating in certain play-off series….more than highly suspicious,…to say the least!  

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

FUCK THE ALL STARS!

Fk resting:

He should pull an Ovie next time. Skip it, and then get suspended one more game of rest haha

• Cheers 1

I know eh

It's a 100 game season if you expect to go all the way. Some bigger beefier guys are more built for the long haul but not finesse skill guys. 

I agree with what you are saying. We know that NHL players are becoming taller and heavier

in the past decade.

It hasn't been until more recent times that we are seeing such a prolific # of "lightweight skilled players",

so we don't really know how they will work out in the P/Os, as they are mostly on rebuilding teams.

In the past, we have seen a few guys like Panarin, Aho, Marchand,etc, but they took some time to

adjust to the P/O style of hockey.  Most didn't get there until they were +26yrs and had prior

seasons of P/O before they started performing well.

I think the Sedins are a similar example of development for the lighter breed of players. It took them

quite a few years to build up their strength so they could handle the aggressive board work they

had to deal with in the regular and P/O seasons.  They didn't hit a pt a game until 25yrs, but already

had 31 P/O games under their belt. 

EP will put up far better points that the Sedins could ever dream of.

I see Petey as having a similar frame to the twins, who rounded out to 185-190lbs.  It is not

easy to add weight to the 'wiry' kind of frame, but it will take some time, as the Sedins

have shown.

If EP can boost his weight up to +185lbs, he will be an exceptional player that has an elite game;

both offensively and defensively.  I have no doubt that Petey knows what he needs to do to

be the best player he can be in both regular and P/O seasons.

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Also a local Island boy.   Would have loved Benn on our team, and despite his lack of judgement, don't take those things too personally unless the player is a major douche-bag, which of course he isn't.   His heroics in 2014 Sochi, was his coming out party.   One of the best players in the league in the 2010's, and heir apparent to Iginla as far as Canadian power forwards go.   And maybe the last one for awhile.   Who's even left?

At this point, we don't even have one, and won't be surprised to see him get a nod in the Olympics, at 36 or so, if he can keep it up.   The US has a few.    Benn is ridiculously strong for a guy his size,  and is still at it.    Sure wouldn't mind him as our third line center.    And if he doesn't retire in Dallas, and his body holds out, wouldn't shock me at all to see him take on a minor support player role on the Canucks to help us win a cup either.    Bygones be bygones.   Even Joe Thornton,  that was part of why it made the rivalry so good, this is sports,  trash talk and tactical prodding is part of the game behind the game, the mental one.    The Sedins and Thornton have a competitive history that goes back before they were in the NHL.   That rivalry wasn't sullied like the CHI one. 

60, 78 points the past two seasons, playing just over 15 minutes a game.    We could sure need some of that from a 3rd line center,  even a second line wouldn't be too bad.   Dallas has done a great job drafting and creating a core to take over their old one. 

Jamie Benn and Reinhart, are two good old BC boys,  that sure wouldn't mind seeing wear the Orca and Skate at some point.    Rhino is a UFA ... massive fish.  

I would love nothing more than. to see either (or better both) come to help Canucks in a low few low cost deals, just like a lot of the other old timers have done at various clubs... Been on the 3rd line? He been tough than most of the top 2 Centres in the league, and far tougher than most of the bottom 6 players around the league... Damn that would be a dream scenario...

Do I think it'll happen...unfortunately not... Players have a tendency to stick around the areas they have set roots, or at least BC boys seems to do so... But nothing would make me more happy than to see Benn in Vancouver colours... Then we'd have a proper line up...

Pettersson was thicker this year. In better condition as well. Doesn't mean the puck's going to go in more. He does have a bit of a mean streak too.

Threw his weight around and got into some pretty intense pushing and shoving. Don't know about anybody else, but I appreciated the upgrades.

At the end of the team's year he reveled the injuries he played through. Considering that, and the fact he played so much of the campaign

Before Lindholm arrived, it wasn't a bad year for him at all.

I'd bet Pete was already 185lbs or very close to it.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I know eh

This is where management has to help limit the minutes or even better games during the season, if possible... Petey could easily have taken a week or two off leading up to the play offs... 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

FUCK THE ALL STARS!

Fk resting:

I blame our fans for the all star game. Technically only 1 Canuck was supposed to go to the all star game. The others were all voted in by fans. I’m guilty of voting for them multiple times but I won’t be next year.

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

And doing what you suggest will get us closer to the Cup? IMHAO we can’t win a Cup without Petey or a player of his level. Lindy is a good player but he’s not the level of Petey. 

Lindy 10x the playoff performer pete is

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree with what you are saying. We know that NHL players are becoming taller and heavier

in the past decade.

It hasn't been until more recent times that we are seeing such a prolific # of "lightweight skilled players",

so we don't really know how they will work out in the P/Os, as they are mostly on rebuilding teams.

In the past, we have seen a few guys like Panarin, Aho, Marchand,etc, but they took some time to

adjust to the P/O style of hockey.  Most didn't get there until they were +26yrs and had prior

seasons of P/O before they started performing well.

I think the Sedins are a similar example of development for the lighter breed of players. It took them

quite a few years to build up their strength so they could handle the aggressive board work they

had to deal with in the regular and P/O seasons.  They didn't hit a pt a game until 25yrs, but already

had 31 P/O games under their belt. 

EP will put up far better points that the Sedins could ever dream of.

I see Petey as having a similar frame to the twins, who rounded out to 185-190lbs.  It is not

easy to add weight to the 'wiry' kind of frame, but it will take some time, as the Sedins

have shown.

If EP can boost his weight up to +185lbs, he will be an exceptional player that has an elite game;

both offensively and defensively.  I have no doubt that Petey knows what he needs to do to

be the best player he can be in both regular and P/O seasons.

I really hope he hits the gym this off season. But one thing I think the twins need to teach EP is to stay evasive. Don't get hit, - AND DON'T GO LOOKING FOR HITS. Let Alvin go get those type of players we need. Petie wore out his body and wasted his valuable energy trying to hit guys all season. 

Dude your job is to score. 

It's your only job.

It's the most important job.

1 goal in 13 playoff games?!?!

Edited by Hairy Kneel