Petey do we really need him?

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, spook007 said:

The only embarrassing part above hammering a 23 old into the ice, was the total lack of response from the rest of the team...

This would not happen to the team of today... maybe see what happens this season, before crap all over him... still only 25... maybe you are right, but way too early to write him off...

Just a small correction.....I think that EP40 was 19 at the time of this takedown shown in the video, not 23.

According to the time stamp on the video, the body slam happened in October of 2018.

EP40's birthdate is November of 1998.

Also IIRC, Pettersson weighed less than 160 lbs. at that time.

As I recall, the Canucks terrorized Matheson in their next meeting. Made Matheson's night very unpleasant for him. Sometimes in a close game it is better to take a number and respond at the appropriate time.

So, Matheson was not let off unscathed. 

At least, that's how I recall the two game affair.

Edited by Artemus
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Hypothetical off season question that nobody will Likely answer but now that some time has gone by. Who would you sooner have as the 2nd line centre. 
EP-40 or Bo Horvat? 

16 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm just going by what I saw what happened. 

You mean his 89 point season?  Or the injury hampered playoff?

To get 89 points from a 7.35 mil player is exceptional value.

Especially one who is predominantly playing with 4th liners after the first 20 games.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

You mean his 89 point season?  Or the injury hampered playoff?

To get 89 points from a 7.35 mil player is exceptional value.

Especially one who is predominantly playing with 4th liners after the first 20 games.

11.6M player

8 hours ago, Artemus said:

Just a small correction.....I think that EP40 was 19 at the time of this takedown shown in the video, not 23.

According to the time stamp on the video, the body slam happened in October of 2018.

EP40's birthdate is November of 1998.

Also IIRC, Pettersson weighed less than 160 lbs. at that time.

As I recall, the Canucks terrorized Matheson in their next meeting. Made Matheson's night very unpleasant for him. Sometimes in a close game it is better to take a number and respond at the appropriate time.

So, Matheson was not let off unscathed. 

At least, that's how I recall the two game affair.

Cheers,

That makes it even less impressive...

Matheson, should have been pulverised during the game, AND again the following games... 

Your future star, who is only the size of a big pee wee player getting body slammed head first into the ice should not have gone unpunished until the next meeting.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Has not yet seen any of that money... does not kick in till next year.

True but I suppose people were expecting some surplus value for this cap hit. 89 pts in the regular season and 6 in the playoffs is fine and dandy.

But I guess some of us were expecting the Nathan MacKinnon value dominating the game at a 6 Million cap hit.

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

True but I suppose people were expecting some surplus value for this cap hit. 89 pts in the regular season and 6 in the playoffs is fine and dandy.

But I guess some of us were expecting the Nathan MacKinnon value dominating the game at a 6 Million cap hit.

Pretty good considering he was playing on one leg for the back half, no? 

He was leading the league in points half way through the season. He will be better next year, let’s just hope he will build up more muscle and be stronger next year. 
it boggles my mind why people want to give up on one of our stars with one bad half season. Shit happens he’s only 25 years old and not in his prime yet look how jt miller became after he came from Tampa. Before it was brock boeser how we wanted him traded when he was dealing with so much last two years. 

Can we just believe in our stars and not run them through the mud the first chance we get? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Pretty good considering he was playing on one leg for the back half, no? 

Injury or not, it lead to not getting surplus value.

That's how teams win championships 

Posted (edited)

I'm not really sure what happened in the second half of the season - before the last presser, it was a head cold / then there was something about the knee in the last conference.  Even RT's explanation was kind of changing a bit - first possibly confidence - then tendinitis - the vagueness of the answers probably indicated they did not want to make too much of it.  One observation I noticed was the skating and the shot was much different than the first half of the year. If it was a confidence matter, I would have had thought extensive time in the video rooming study film - pointing areas of improvement would help.  There were times in the past where EP did not play with first line wingers - and did not bother him as much. 

So at this point, rest is probably best of him to get better.  Hard to see him moving because of his contract and the lack of possible return.

With the way our "stars" were targeted during the playoffs, I won't object with some additional size being added to their lines early next season.  I am not sure if DJ was given a chance to play with Petey but if he did sign here again, what's the harm in trying it.  Gives them time to work out the chemistry. 

Or can they put large skating D like Big Z (if he signs) with Hughes - since Huggy is really all over the place with his fluid skating anyway. 

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Injury or not, it lead to not getting surplus value.

That's how teams win championships 

Demko was injured too. But being a goalie his injury kept him from playing. If we had both healthy we do win the Cup, that’s for sure. 

22 hours ago, Poler said:

He was leading the league in points half way through the season. He will be better next year, let’s just hope he will build up more muscle and be stronger next year. 
it boggles my mind why people want to give up on one of our stars with one bad half season. Shit happens he’s only 25 years old and not in his prime yet look how jt miller became after he came from Tampa. Before it was brock boeser how we wanted him traded when he was dealing with so much last two years. 

Can we just believe in our stars and not run them through the mud the first chance we get? 

That's sports fandom. Pettersson disappearing in the second half of the season and being a ghost for most of the playoffs was a problem for the team. Fans will react to that. 

Fans don't owe any specific player anything. Simple as that. If a player plays poorly, fans can speculate and ruminate to their hearts content. 

This hyperbole that fans are "running players through the mud" is laughable. 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. To win the Cup we need our three key players healthy. Demko, Hughes, and Petey. 

Let's not forget Miller and Boeser...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

On 6/2/2024 at 5:43 PM, NoHeart said:

Hypothetical off season question that nobody will Likely answer but now that some time has gone by. Who would you sooner have as the 2nd line centre. 
EP-40 or Bo Horvat? 

Lindholm

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

That's sports fandom. Pettersson disappearing in the second half of the season and being a ghost for most of the playoffs was a problem for the team. Fans will react to that. 

Fans don't owe any specific player anything. Simple as that. If a player plays poorly, fans can speculate and ruminate to their hearts content. 

This hyperbole that fans are "running players through the mud" is laughable. 

Not at all…hyperbole.

Ask Petterssen’s family - how do they all feel reading about this total lack of gratitude & sudden wave of disrespect that their All-Star son seems to receive in print & social media, within his own adopted new home & city…during a pivotal contract year no less? 

How inhospitable can you folks be?! 

Fandom is the art of being the 7th man. On the Canucks’ roster? We believe in you,…even when you have trouble believing in yourself…because that’s in the job description. Otherwise you might be a hockey-fan…just not a part of our true & loyal Canucks Nation - as it needs to be deployed to bring the Stanley Cup home! 

Get with the program,…if seeing our team hoist the Stanley Cup is your goal!

This “good vibes” R us mentality needs to take over & win more battles vs negativity, as frequently & as often as our guys need to win their own battles during every NHL game played. 

Tough ask? 

Yah, not everyone is worthy. We have all summer to reset & convince more of the grumps & nay-sayers out there, that this way can & will work. 

Do the work, cheerlead & believe!! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Not a all…hyperbole.

Ask Pedersen’s family - how do they all feel reading about this total lack of gratitude & sudden wave of disrespect that their All-Star son seems to receive in print & social media, within his own adopted new home & city…during a pivotal contract year no less? 

Fandom is the art of being the 7th man. On the Canucks’ roster? We believe in you,…even when you have trouble believing in yourself…because that’s in the job description. Otherwise you might be a hockey-fan…just not a part of our true & loyal Canucks Nation - as it needs to be deployed to bring the Stanley Cup home! 

This “good vibes” R us mentality needs to take over & win more battles vs negativity, as frequently & as often as our guys need to win their own battles during every NHL game played. 

Tough ask? 

Yah, not everyone is worthy. We have all summer to reset & convince more of the grumps & nay-sayers out there, that this way can & will work. 

Think like me or you’re wrong. 

great strategy. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, viking mama said:

Not a all…hyperbole.

Ask Petterssen’s family - how do they all feel reading about this total lack of gratitude & sudden wave of disrespect that their All-Star son seems to receive in print & social media, within his own adopted new home & city…during a pivotal contract year no less? 

Tough ask? 

Or..... we become the city where players adopt the mentality:  "Meh, if we fuck up, they'll love us anyway."

It is true that Pettersson's $11.6 doesn't start until next season, but he signed that contract believing he's an $11.6 player. IMO once Petey signed that $11.6 contract, he became a $11.6 player. That's what management feels he's worth.  

Maybe he was injured, and hopefully he'll heal quickly. Petey needs to train harder this off season than he ever has. He knows how fast and physical the playoffs are. There are no more excuses.

• ThereItIs 1