[PGT] Shitmonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 2

We have a pretty good defense, but  collectively they couldn't shut down one line. I wish McD wasn't such a prick, because he's so damn good. For 40 minutes we played as well as edmonton, then allowed McD and their other top 4 to walk all over us. I think we're better than that, and will show up in game three. 

I'm just really happy we've come this far and I'm able to watch my team play exciting hockey in mid May. GCG!!!

• Like 2

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

My thoughts on Tocc’s presser:

I love Tocchet’s honesty so much. It is so refreshing. Calling out flipping the puck out for the dump and chase before necessary. His candour with media speaks volumes for how honest he must be with our boys. Everyone needs to be on the same page so speak freely! 

Tocc just spoke to slew foots and didn’t mention names or non-calls. Our guys are slick on how to deliver the message without receiving a fine haha! 

Tocc tells our own guys “if you’re not getting ice time; there’s a reason why.” No hand holding, no passengers; we need guys driving out here attitude. Love it.

Tocc compliments for Silovs saying he was really good. Safe to say we’ll see Silovs start next game. 

Tocc accolades for McDavid and Drai and they earned it. Game knows game. 

Tocc not worried about the road at all and excited to hear their barn. 

Tocc noting McDavid and Drai are playing high 20s each night and there are ways to shut that down that we didn’t execute tonight.

Overall impression: he coached and watched the same game we did and knows what’s what. No tricks, no shifting blame, spoke to the obvious issues and what we can hope for. That’s the shit players can believe in. 

I think he's not being honest at all and deflecting blame off himself.  He should be taking a good chunk of the responsibility himself.  He got out coached 

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Id like to know how you throw a guy off the ice thats been sliced open and not review it with your linesman as to what happened?

You do it when you're getting money under the table from the league to fix the series.

Just now, KFAN said:

We have a pretty good defense, but  collectively they couldn't shut down one line. I wish McD wasn't such a prick, because he's so damn good. For 40 minutes we played as well as edmonton, then allowed McD and their other top 4 to walk all over us. I think we're better than that, and will show up in game three. 

I'm just really happy we've come this far and I'm able to watch my team play exciting hockey in mid May. GCG!!!

They have to come up with a plan for McD and Drai on the same line

1 minute ago, Kumquats said:

Can see Hughes say, "that is bullshit." when he's told to get off the ice. 

Unfortunately no - blood on jersey and need for repair is a reason to send a guy off. Last series Josi tried to come back out on the ice while dripping from his ear and they sent him off too

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The league has to be aware of this right? And think it smells funky. This is definitely at the point of absurd. A ref having that kind of record against a specific team at nearly a 10 game mark is starting to reach a point of being less of a coincidence. We are the best team in the Pacific but our record when he refs is 0-8-1? Another crazy thing is, I think I seen on Reddit (not the most reliable place, don't get me wrong but) another team had the refs a missed high stick after they seen someone bleeding, and then gave out the double minor penalty. So if that actually happened but didn't happen here just makes the overall reffing look so bootleg, as if it wasn't already bootleg as fuck.

Reminds me of when the Canucks through much of the first half of the 2010s were ALWAYS out penalizing the Sharks. Like it was some sick fucking joke suggesting they were always more disciplined.

Just now, stawns said:

I think he's not being honest at all and deflecting blame off himself.  He should be taking a good chunk of the responsibility himself.  He got out coached 

Yes, he got out-coached.... and yes, he has a problem with adjusting his system and his lineup when it is not working.

But personally I think this game loss was on Sutherland.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The league has to be aware of this right? And think it smells funky. This is definitely at the point of absurd. A ref having that kind of record against a specific team at nearly a 10 game mark is starting to reach a point of being less of a coincidence. We are the best team in the Pacific but our record when he refs is 0-8-1? Another crazy thing is, I think I seen on Reddit (not the most reliable place, don't get me wrong but) another team had the refs a missed high stick after they seen someone bleeding, and then gave out the double minor penalty. So if that actually happened but didn't happen here just makes the overall reffing look so bootleg, as if it wasn't already bootleg as fuck.

They could/should have called a major then reviewed it at which point they could have made the correct assessment. Also the linesmen can step in and advise the ref. Don’t know what went wrong there but that should never happen at this level especially in the playoffs, that whole officiating team needs to be disciplined.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Is this real? That’s embarassing if that’s true. If I were Canucks manangent I would send this stat to the league with the question is this actually a coincidence anymore?

It is real, and pretty Fu@*ed up. I realize we played poorly in the third but it has to be deflating to have to battle the refs also. There were 4 or 5 major missed calls - I honestly can not remember a game the last few years so poorly officiated. Call me a victim or whatever the Slugs want...it was really bad and the fact it was Kelly is too infuriating 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LunarPoetry said:

It is real, and pretty Fu@*ed up. I realize we played poorly in the third but it has to be deflating to have to battle the refs also. There were 4 or 5 major missed calls - I honestly can not remember a game the last few years so poorly officiated. Call me a victim or whatever the Slugs want...it was really bad and the fact it was Kelly is too infuriating 

We absolutely played poorly for 25 minutes straight, but it's also irrelevant because you expect a game to be called fairly and when Hughes is slew footed and then high sticked in the face while the puck is RIGHT THERE in both instances indicates the officials have no intent of calling an unbiased game. That, or they're grossly incompetent and should perhaps go back to minor hockey. Either way, both of those scenarios are fucked but that's what it is.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

How is he getting out coached. Everyone and their grandma can just throw 97/29 together and put them out every other shift and call it a day. 

It ain't coaching. How was he out coached? Pretty darn sure he didn't tell the players to sit back and be passive. 

He clearly didn't expect them to put McD and Drai on the same line and didn't make any adjustment at all.  I wanted to see him load up the lotto line to go head to head, which he did in OT, but didn't put them out against their big line.  The lotto line got hemmed in against the Oilers 3rd line and the McD's line came out after the change and won the game

Out coached

JT Miller is eating a ton of bricks right now for his lines performance and I respect it. Not because it’s the most honest recollection of our teams shortcomings - but because he’s shouldering it because he couldn’t do more. Absolute gosh darn leader! 

• Like 2

This is gonna be a long couple days, I assume it's 2 days travel time to Edmonton for games 3 and 4? This loss stinks cause I actually think that was a very winnable game. Had the lead 3 separate times. I don't care we got outplayed in the 3rd, we were better in the first two periods. The Coilers had some pretty meh chances even with the zone domination, til Soucy and Myers threw the game away. Cole was not gonna be denied his 4th goal in 2 games.

Posted (edited)

Captain44 minutes ago, hockeyville88 said:
We got away from our staples and let them take it to us 
They shouldn’t be able go just play 1 line and get away with it. We are more balanced but didn’t deserve it today 

We need to make their top player pay a tax every time they touch the puck; they have no qualms with high-sticking and slew footing our captain, and hitting our guys late, let's make them hurt, make them pay a heavy tax.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan

Going to say this. 

Panel was all saying wow! look at how great David is. But I say Miller has been so good defending that line that without putting Drai on his line he would have been quiet again.

Oil are now a 1 line team with the other lines simply playing so that line can get a rest. We are the deeper team and need to tinker with Petey our third line center and get him going. 

Hughes is taking so much abuse but he needs to figure it out or play less so he is fresher and able to be more mobile. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He clearly didn't expect them to put McD and Drai on the same line and didn't make any adjustment at all.  I wanted to see him load up the lotto line to go head to head, which he did in OT, but didn't put them out against their big line.  The lotto line got hemmed in against the Oilers 3rd line and the McD's line came out after the change and won the game

Out coached

No one in the world has ever anticipated McD and Drai together - you are serving up facts 

• Like 1