[PGT] Shitmonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 2

I thought the reffing was fairly good right up until the Hughes high stick which was laughable. He also gets slew footed and the Petey board I can understand not getting called because we got away with a couple of little plays here and there, but for then to call that "interference" on Suter against McDavid was the biggest joke ever in such a physical game. Suter bumps McDavid who isn't going anywhere but you know that's a status call.

Regardless of the bad officiating we stopped playing in the 3rd. We looked tired and timid and have to be far more aggressive. I think the same goes for the PK - stop sitting back and just attack them. Let them have the puck up high but they're dangerous once they get down low so go straight to them, don't just let McDavid and Draisaitl cycle along the side to pick a pass - rush them then and there. Let Bouchard and Hyman play pass instead. You could see we were being overly cautious but that doesn't work either. Obviously if we're too aggressive they could pass around us and catch us (a bit like the McDavid goal) but it's the only way to play. Can't be so passive all period long like that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

We were half a step too slow on most plays. Some times it seems like we were scared in the offensive zone. Miller + Garland lines' dominate play vanished. Pettersson line acutually played better. McDavid line was dangerous every shift, we had a spotlight on him every time he stepped on the ice in game 1, don't know why that disappears in game2. And their powerplay is so dangerous because their 2 superstars are so mobile, can make sick passes and can snipe the puck. Feels retarded to say this, but it looks like we really can't give them powerplays. 

McDavid was playing withe Draisitle the whole night. That was the difference. We can easily contain them individually but together they are a force that maybe no line in the nhl can contain effectively. Question is if they can keep it up playing half of the game like they did tonight.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Here's a question...

McDavid clearly turns his head & sees Hughes there... In that tight of space what is he doing raising his stick??? .

Didn't think it at first, but looks intentional no? 

No call on a blatant high stick that draws blood but yeah, Boeser clips a guy on a follow through...:picard:

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Here's a question...

McDavid clearly turns his head & sees Hughes there... In that tight of space what is he doing raising his stick??? .

Possible. If it was by accident, your first reaction would be to look down at the damage you have caused to the fallen player. He just looks casually away as if he already expected the outcome. 

Edited by Drakrami

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Kelly Sutherland is the biggest POS ref I've ever seen.

Darnell Nurse is a coward.

Evander Kane is a loser.

Oilers are a dirty bunch of wankers.

They didn't even win that game...we scored their winning goal for them.

F the Oilers and their trash city.

I have been waiting for this report all night. I concur. Thanks 

I'd be pretty happy with our first 2 games apart from that passive 3rd period. We can easily take it to them and beat them. The loaded top line is a problem though, wonder if we play Lindholm with Miller to help shut them down, Blueger back to Joshua's line and hope Petey can give us enough depth scoring? Not sure if it'd help loading our defensive centers like that.

I don't think we should make any changes either going into next game. Silovs was very sturdy, DeSmith wouldn't have been able to do any better there.

Just got to hope that our depth can outlast their top end scoring but our D can't give them 4 points a night each.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, quattrob said:

Still pissed at what Myers did causing that breakaway goal by Mcd... like Soucy made a mistake why would you risk poke checking the puck when you know mcd is on the ice... Tocchet says it's fine to make 1 mistake but when you make another 1 on top of 1 then that's the problem.. it's part of playing within structure which they have been preaching.  

I think because it would have been a 3 on 1 with mcDavid having the puck, and meyers isn’t exactly the fastest skater. For me, Soucy was the big mistake there. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Possible. If it was by accident, your first reaction would be to look down at the damage you have caused to the fallen player. He just looks casually away as if he already expected the outcome. 

The big tell for me is afterward. If he's just moving his stick to accept the oncoming pass that's one thing, but he doesn't even attempt to grab it nor does he look concerned with it going by him.

32 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Watching the highlights, what was Soucy thinking on the tying goal? Why step up on Hyman when McD is rushing up ice right there with him.

Know who your out against, brutal play by Soucy. 

Yep bad play... they contained them so well... it doesn't take much for McD to score or set up a goal...

3 hours ago, quattrob said:

Still pissed at what Myers did causing that breakaway goal by Mcd... like Soucy made a mistake why would you risk poke checking the puck when you know mcd is on the ice... Tocchet says it's fine to make 1 mistake but when you make another 1 on top of 1 then that's the problem.. it's part of playing within structure which they have been preaching.  

Remember... Myers hurt something before that. May be he thought he'd get blown past by McDavid so he took the gamble. It was Soucy who shouldn't have pinched in knowing McDavid's line was on the ice with a 3-2 lead in the 3rd period. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be pretty happy with our first 2 games apart from that passive 3rd period. We can easily take it to them and beat them. The loaded top line is a problem though, wonder if we play Lindholm with Miller to help shut them down, Blueger back to Joshua's line and hope Petey can give us enough depth scoring? Not sure if it'd help loading our defensive centers like that.

I don't think we should make any changes either going into next game. Silovs was very sturdy, DeSmith wouldn't have been able to do any better there.

Just got to hope that our depth can outlast their top end scoring but our D can't give them 4 points a night each.

Not just pretty happy... we should be very happy. 
Oilers is being hailed one of the favourite and we've gone toe to toe with them. Petey brike his duck and played a good game, Hughes is a real warrior and Brock is scoring for fun. 
Zad and the D in general has shown, they are strong. 

Good to hear Tocchet's post game interview echo the same sentiments - we didn't pressure their stars enough, gave them too much respect and just flipped pucks out instead of making plays. We looked scared and the pressure got to everyone when they saw the two stars together.

Have to go into next game and treat them with less respect and almost just like any other top line. We've dominated other team's top lines by playing confidently and have to do the same next game. There's going to be a lot of bad matchups in the next game, you know they'll target our 4th line and Petey as well any chance they get so can't just flip pucks out. Everyone's probably scared they'll get stripped of the puck moving up ice.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, BarneyKook said:

Shades of 2011 all over again. I need Zadorov to accidentally on purpose absolutely plaster Shitthurland as hard as he can without making it look too obvious. 

5 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Unfortunately no - blood on jersey and need for repair is a reason to send a guy off. Last series Josi tried to come back out on the ice while dripping from his ear and they sent him off too

The whole incident was BS….we all know a player has to leave the ice if bleeding 

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Here's a question...

I said the same thing.  

5 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s weird that they actually ignore penalties. It is just so corrupt when you do that. It makes me lose respct

for the league when things like this happen.

I cheer for the Canucks cause they have been my team since day one. Win or lose.

But the league it self can suck it. I am expecting things like Sutherland. I still cheer for the guys. But as soon as the Canucks are out I'm out. We as fans are helpless to change anything.

Maybe a Sutherland you suck chant all next game we are stuck with him officiating.

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He certainly won'get the $8,000,000.00 Million his agent says he's demanding next year - if he is even still here.     I predict he'lll be sacrificed for other signings like Big "Z" and Joshua amongst a couple of others and once he doesn't have QH on his side to make hiom look good, he'll be just another $4M defenceman.

This management team has shown they are not worried about moving on from a player (horvat) if they feel their ask is to high. Some of these salary demands league wise are getting crazy. I definitely agree with you.