[PGT] Shitmonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 2

As upset as I am with the way the game turned out, and as happy as I am that Pettersson finally scored, I think this game unfortunately illustrates just what a massive gulf there is between him and the best in the league.

Just look how much space McDavid created for his linemates. Yes, he needs good linemates that can capitalize on that space, but the point is he creates that space for them. Pettersson just can't come close to doing that for his linemates.

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

The kind of adjustment/coaching needed to contain McDrai ain't a simple matter of matching the lines. It has to be a more structural change and that just can't be done in game.

Also Toch tried to line match to Miller's line as much as possible and they did contain them though ugly it is.

I agree, you have to do a lot of prep between games, but you have to adjust in hand too.  What's the point of having a coach on the bench then?

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

I’m now 0-5-1 when attending games! Yay loser point 

Enjoy pizza, beers & jumbo screen viewing experience at home, from now on.

We appreciate your sacrifice! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The high stick on Hughes, you seem to be as blind as the refs.

Why?  I agreed it was a missed call.  When did it happen is what I'm asking.  I can't remember 

12 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Who cares about a cut…. It is basically a hit from behind; Hughes had no control as he crashed onto the boards. Honestly a bush league play that should get a review by the league and a suspension. It was 100% intent to injure….not simply a missed call..

Potential DPS suspension… for at least a game?!

The threat & recklessness of it all screams for a deterrent…I say -yes!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

As upset as I am with the way the game turned out, and as happy as I am that Pettersson finally scored, I think this game unfortunately illustrates just what a massive gulf there is between him and the best in the league.

Just look how much space McDavid created for his linemates. Yes, he needs good linemates that can capitalize on that space, but the point is he creates that space for them. Pettersson just can't come close to doing that for his linemates.

to be fair there are very few players in the history of the game that can create offence out of nothing like McD does.   theres a reason most media talking heads are picking the oilers in this - its not because of their other three lines, goaltending, defence ....all those look average at best to me. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Darius said:

you are not grasping a simple concept here -  it is possible to agree that the team did not play well AND point out the atrocious reffing at the same time without making excuses.

You really have to be obtuse to think that an extra 3 powerplays would have ZERO effect on a tight playoff game.  Not only does it put their best player in the box but a potential goal changes the dynamic of the game.

Again, you can think those should have been called, but they weren't and you play the game as if unfolds, not how you think if should.

You're looking for an excuse, other than "the team I love played badly".  There is no other excuse

97/29 each played 28min and 27min tonight. Oils kept rolling that one line because their other lines had nothing going. Is that sustainable? We didn't hit Draisaitl as much as i hoped knowing he's not 100%. I feel we've lost a bit of the physical play in the first round. Maybe it's fatigue or we're too afraid to take penalties, which I guess is understandable given who's officiating the game tonight. 

I thought the more evenly distributed ice time for our 3 lines could be an advantage, but unfortunately just couldn't get a clutch goal from the depth guys. There wasn't enough offensive zone play because 97/29 was on the ice for almost half the game and we're too cautious with defending (although the Soucy pinch was a terrible example of the opposite)

Before the series started I wasn't sure what to expect, but after tonight's game I am confident this will be a close series. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't even understand why he's on this board in the first place.

You don't like discussion?  Or just an echo chamber?  My guess is you like gatekeeping 

5 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Oh my..... you really just compared Hoglander and Mikheyev to Draisaitl and Hyman?!?!?!?!?

you are not grasping a simple concept here -  it is possible to agree that the team did not play well AND point out the atrocious reffing at the same time without making excuses.

You really have to be obtuse to think that an extra 3 powerplays would have ZERO effect on a tight playoff game.  Not only does it put their best player in the box but a potential goal changes the dynamic of the game.

This exactly. Thank you. I was so hoping for a well officiated game because of the Kelly BS...but it did not happen in the least. It is now going to be a talking point which I hate. But I can not ignore how bad it was

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Wing said:

97/29 each played 28min and 27min tonight. Oils kept rolling that one line because their other lines had nothing going. Is that sustainable? We didn't hit Draisaitl as much as i hoped knowing he's not 100%. I feel we've lost a bit of the physical play in the first round. Maybe it's fatigue or we're too afraid to take penalties, which I guess is understandable given who's officiating the game tonight. 

I thought the more evenly distributed ice time for our 3 lines could be an advantage, but unfortunately just couldn't get a clutch goal from the depth guys. There wasn't enough offensive zone play because 97/29 was on the ice for almost half the game and we're too cautious with defending (although the Soucy pinch was a terrible example of the opposite)

Before the series started I wasn't sure what to expect, but after tonight's game I am confident this will be a close series. 

They were out every second shift in the third and tocchet had no answer.  I would have liked to have seen him match the lotto against them to try and make them play defrnse

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

After the second the oilers deserved to win. Canucks stopped playing their game. Not sure why that was the game plan in the third? Way too passive.

same game plan as almost every game so far this playoff minus game 1 against the oiler? sit back take no shot and defend a tie

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think you're missing the point about officiating.  That is something you cannot manipulate.  It's not something teams can strategize for.  When Kelly Sutherland was announced for the game, everyone knew he was gonna make/miss some brutal calls.  But that's not something the team can really do anything about.

A 4-minute PP would've definitely helped carry momentum into the 3rd.  But at the end of the day, they only scored 1 goal on the powerplay against us.  We got handily outplayed on even strength.  

• Vintage 2

to be fair there are very few players in the history of the game that can create offence out of nothing like McD does.   theres a reason most media talking heads are picking the oilers in this - its not because of their other three lines, goaltending, defence ....all those look average at best to me. 

To be unfair ... I think it has more to do with their ego and inability to see that we're a good team proving them wrong. 

They need to be right to not look stupid. 

Just now, LunarPoetry said:

This exactly. Thank you. I was so hoping for a well officiated game because of the Kelly BS...but it did not happen in the least. It is now going to be a talking point which I hate. But I can not ignore how bad it was

If you hate it, why bring it up?

9 minutes ago, Darius said:

Genius post. So smart. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wing said:

It is unsustainable over the course of the entire playoffs but is absolutely sustainable over 5-7 games.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

I think you're missing the point about officiating.  That is something you cannot manipulate.  It's not something teams can strategize for.  When Kelly Sutherland was announced for the game, everyone knew he was gonna make/miss some brutal calls.  But that's not something the team can really do anything about.

A 4-minute PP would've definitely helped carry momentum into the 3rd.  But at the end of the day, they only scored 1 goal on the powerplay against us.  We got handily outplayed on even strength.  

Precisely, you can't play a game based on what you think should happen, you play it based on what is happening.  

Refs don't win or lose games, the way a team plays and responds to the events on the ice determines the outcome 

Just now, stawns said:

Again, you can think those should have been called, but they weren't and you play the game as if unfolds, not how you think if should.

You're looking for an excuse, other than "the team I love played badly".  There is no other excuse

This is not subjective. the bloody replay showed the guy high sticking him.  Its as blatant as an over the glass puck. Text book penalty.  Pointing that out is not excuse making its fact. I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand. How well they played or did not play is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1