[PGT] Shitmonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 2

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think you're missing the point about officiating.  That is something you cannot manipulate.  It's not something teams can strategize for.  When Kelly Sutherland was announced for the game, everyone knew he was gonna make/miss some brutal calls.  But that's not something the team can really do anything about.

A 4-minute PP would've definitely helped carry momentum into the 3rd.  But at the end of the day, they only scored 1 goal on the powerplay against us.  We got handily outplayed on even strength.  

Im not denying they got outplayed - why cant i say they got outplayed and point out the ref was trash tonight?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

This is not subjective. the bloody replay showed the guy high sticking him.  Its as blatant as an over the glass puck. Text book penalty.  Pointing that out is not excuse making its fact. I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand. How well they played or did not play is another matter.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, every team needs to be allowed to ban one official from working their games each season.

You are both right.  We were worried about Sutherland blowing the game, and we were all right.  So now what?  Because he is a renown referee and will likely officiate another game if this series goes to 7.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They were out every second shift in the third and tocchet had no answer.  I would have liked to have seen him match the lotto against them to try and make them play defrnse

It's really tough. I'm not sure if there's a line out there that can defend against wave after wave of 97/29. I agree reuniting the lotto line earlier might have changed the game, but in my mind we need our depth guys to outplay their depth guys in the other 30 mins in the offensive zone when 97/29 are not on the ice, and that didn't happen tonight. I I saw a lot of dumping the puck in without forechecking whenever 97 gets off the ice, and that just gives them time to rest and come back out.

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

This is not subjective. the bloody replay showed the guy high sticking him.  Its as blatant as an over the glass puck. Text book penalty.  Pointing that out is not excuse making its fact. I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand. How well they played or did not play is another matter.

I never said he didn't.......I've repeatedly said it was a missed call.  Shit happens, it's how you respond to it that matters 

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It is unsustainable over the course of the entire playoffs but is absolutely sustainable over 5-7 games.

Yeah, even if they manage to get by us doing 97/29 playing half of the game, they are gonna get burned badly by Dallas/Avs in the WCF. Not just because those team may be better than us but 97/29 will be tired as hell by then.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

You are both right.  We were worried about Sutherland blowing the game, and we were all right.  So now what?  Because he is a renown referee and will likely officiate another game if this series goes to 7.

honestly dont know... I do respect your knowledge / opinion though.  What do you see happening?    I cant say he has it out for the Canucks, i just think hes incompetent.

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

to be fair there are very few players in the history of the game that can create offence out of nothing like McD does.   theres a reason most media talking heads are picking the oilers in this - its not because of their other three lines, goaltending, defence ....all those look average at best to me. 

I don't expect Pettersson to do for his linemates what McDavid does for his, but I expect him to do a fraction of what McDavid does. These playoffs, I haven't seen it at all from him.

Keep in mind that the raise he is getting will likely prevent us from re-signing some of the expiring contracts.

Just now, Wing said:

It's really tough. I'm not sure if there's a line out there that can defend against wave after wave of 97/29. I agree reuniting the lotto line earlier might have changed the game, but in my mind we need our depth guys to outplay their depth guys in the other 30 mins in the offensive zone when 97/29 are not on the ice, and that didn't happen tonight. I I saw a lot of dumping the puck in without forechecking whenever 97 gets off the ice, and that just gives them time to rest and come back out.

It is tough I agree and I don't know if the lotto line is the answer, but I think it's the only option.  You've got to try and make them play defensively and the lotto line is your best bet, imo.  

If you can, at least, contain them, I'm confident the depth of the Canucks outplays the depth of the Oilers on the rest of the shifts.

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Yeah, even if they manage to get by us doing 97/29 playing half of the game, they are gonna get burned badly by Dallas/Avs in the WCF. Not just because those team may be better than us but 97/29 will be tired as hell by then.

If they get blasted by DAL/COL, I won't care because they beat us.  "They'll be too tired next series" is not an insult to the Oilers.  It implies they'll get past us first.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I hear its a category 4 electrical storm or something, worst being category 5, and its the worst since like 15 years or something. have to go outside and take a look.

Edited by BarneyKook

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I never said he didn't.......I've repeatedly said it was a missed call.  Shit happens, it's how you respond to it that matters 

When we shot the puck over the glass they huddled to make the correct call, when Hughes got high sticked and was clearly bleeding they neglected the options to make the correct call, it’s not about a missed call, it’s about inconsistent officiating and sadly it was expected, there is no defence for that.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

Im not denying they got outplayed - why cant i say they got outplayed and point out the ref was trash tonight?

Whoever said he wasn't?  

But, he certainly wasn't the reason the Canucks played so badly in the third?

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

honestly dont know... I do respect your knowledge / opinion though.  What do you see happening?    I cant say he has it out for the Canucks, i just think hes incompetent.

Maybe he has it out for us, maybe he doesn't.  But he has a good reputation.  That's the problem - he will definitely officiate more Canucks games as we go further into the playoffs.  To that end, he is an invariable.  Might as well focus on the things that the Canucks can control - playing their brand of hockey, not their opponent's.  Tonight in the third period onwards we played Edmonton hockey.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

If they get blasted by DAL/COL, I won't care because they beat us.  "They'll be too tired next series" is not an insult to the Oilers.  It implies they'll get past us first.

It is an insult to the Oilers as they are cup or bust.

But to me I do not want to ever see McDavid win a cup with the Oilers so them getting blasted by DAL/COL makes me perfectly happy.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

When we shot the puck over the glass the huddled to make the correct call, when Hughes got high sticked and was clearly bleeding they neglected the options to make the correct call, it’s not about a missed call, it’s about inconsistent officiating and sadly it was expected, there is a snow defence for that.

Sports have inconsistent officiating? 

No shit, that's only been happening for 100+ years.  

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

I don't expect Pettersson to do for his linemates what McDavid does for his, but I expect him to do a fraction of what McDavid does. These playoffs, I haven't seen it at all from him.

Keep in mind that the raise he is getting will likely prevent us from re-signing some of the expiring contracts.

the way I see it is....the kid has built up enough credibility throughout the first few years (in my mind anyways) that im willing to give him some rope.  Ive seen guys like Naslund and the Sedins at his age and they were nowhere near as effective.  They managed to turn it up from their mid 20s to late 20s to a significant degree. JT miller is nowhere near the player he is today at 25 years old.  I think Petey has that in him to keep improving.  He does need better linemates to begin with.  

About the contract.  What would you have done. Honest question.  Do you trade him instead of signing him? 

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

You're not wrong.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Sports have inconsistent officiating? 

No shit, that's only been happening for 100+ years.  

Quit being a jackass, they had the options to make the correct call, they used them against us, they neglected them on the high stick, it’s not a missed call, it’s negligence.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Maybe he has it out for us, maybe he doesn't.  But he has a good reputation.  That's the problem - he will definitely officiate more Canucks games as we go further into the playoffs.  To that end, he is an invariable.  Might as well focus on the things that the Canucks can control - playing their brand of hockey, not their opponent's.  Tonight in the third period onwards we played Edmonton hockey.  

cant disagree with any of this.

• Cheers 1