[PGT] Shitmonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 2

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

I never said he didn't.......I've repeatedly said it was a missed call.  Shit happens, it's how you respond to it that matters 

And when that is only one of 4-5 missed calls, that really tilts the ice. It can be awful difficult to overcome that kind of bias.

4 minutes ago, Win2024 said:

Oilers aren't that good really. Neutralize 97 and 29 and they have crappy defense and goaltending, and a bottom 6 that does jack-all. Skinner is an NHL starter yet has looked far worse than Silovs. I'm not convinced the oilers are anything but overhyped. 

Neutralizung them when they are on separate lines is doable.........on the same line is very clearly a much bigger challenge for tocchet to figure out

1 hour ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Having seen this replay with the skates pointing up, dangerous regardless if it was an Oiler or Canuck.   I would not want a Canuck hitting McD or anyone else like this for that matter because you can get cut in the leg area. What is Kane thinking?  Geez

A clean heavy hit is one thing but pointing up skates not so good. Yikes.

He isn't thinking.  He's a piece of shit like everyone else on that team.  After tonight's game, I have zero respect for any one of those gutless pukes on the Oilers.  Hopefully karma takes care of all of them...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

" If you are not getting ice time, there is a reason why" ~Coach.

Laffs and De Jizzy had the lowest.

Raty and Podz next game?

Oddly enough I thought they were a couple of the guys actually trying to forecheck the most. 

In a game we lost because we didn't forecheck lol.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope.....the missed call on Hughes was in the second period, when the game was 2-2.   Mcdavid scored at 5:27 of the third period, so he wouldn't have been in the box instead of scoring the tying goal.

One has no effect on the other

??

Canucks getting a 4 min PP could have altered the games outcome.  Possible the Canucks could have scored 2 goals bumping the score to 4-2.  And then maybe squeak out a W.  Or the Canucks implode and Oilers win anyways.  It’s called the Butterfly Effect.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

And when that is only one of 4-5 missed calls, that really tilts the ice. It can be awful difficult to overcome that kind of bias.

They may as well have stayed home. They were horrible. God awful. 

No excuse for it. 

I am so angry at how incompetent Sutherland is. Put him out to pasture for chrissake.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

How does it tilt the ice?  It's something that didn't happen.  What tilted the ice is that the oilers played MCD and drai every second shift ov the third and Vancouver were overwhelmed and passive.  Missed calls had nothing to do with that.

Missed calls didn't just happen to the canucks

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He isn't thinking.  He's a piece of shit like everyone else on that team.  After tonight's game, I have zero respect for any one of those gutless pukes on the Oilers.  Hopefully karma takes care of all of them...

I feel the same.

I have zero respect for their game. They're a bunch of hotshots but they have no integrity. Zero.

They spend more time bitching at the refs during play stoppages yet they get away with so much. They ONLY win with an advantage. They can't do it on their own, they're trash.

At least 3 times Nurse got in there with some dirty shots then skates away before he has to answer for anything. He's a coward. Hit and run.

• MillerTime 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BPA said:

??

Canucks getting a 4 min PP could have altered the games outcome.  Possible the Canucks could have scored 2 goals bumping the score to 4-2.  And then maybe squeak out a W.  Or the Canucks implode and Oilers win anyways.  It’s called the Butterfly Effect.  

Could have and also might not have.  It doesn't matter because those calls weren't made.  You play the cards you're dealt no?

Do you think missed calls made Van play the way they did in the third?

Edited by stawns

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

the way I see it is....the kid has built up enough credibility throughout the first few years (in my mind anyways) that im willing to give him some rope.  Ive seen guys like Naslund and the Sedins at his age and they were nowhere near as effective.  They managed to turn it up from their mid 20s to late 20s to a significant degree. JT miller is nowhere near the player he is today at 25 years old.  I think Petey has that in him to keep improving.  He does need better linemates to begin with.  

About the contract.  What would you have done. Honest question.  Do you trade him instead of signing him? 

At the time the contract was signed, many called it a discount for a "back-to-back 100 pt center", for "one of the best players in the league," etc. How often did we hear things like "when he's playing well he can take over games"? Well, what good is that if you can't count on him doing it on a game by game basis, and when the stakes are the highest?

Now the refrain has turned to "he's still getting better" and that "he'll grow into the contract". Sure, I guess we can hope he does, but that's a hell of a gamble and certainly not the discount people were claiming it was.

As I've always said, I like the player, he does the right things, he's versatile, plays the full 200 feet, but for 11.6m there has to be more than just that.

What would I have done? I think I would have waited until I saw what he was like in an actual playoffs (even he himself said the Bubble was nothing like this). He had already been playing poorly for a while prior to the contract signing, and it seems management just chose to overlook it.

I also thought the demand from the Pettersson side was too high. Did you see the interview with Friedman right before the playoffs started where he said the competitiveness in him was what made him want to get a higher number than Nylander? He always said he wanted to play on a winning team - I guess we'll see if we can be successful with him making 11.6m instead of 7.35m, in an albeit higher cap.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You are both right.  We were worried about Sutherland blowing the game, and we were all right.  So now what?  Because he is a renown referee and will likely officiate another game if this series goes to 7.

In the IIHF games as in the Olympics & world championships, there cannot be even a hint of bias. If you botch multiple calls in a game or oversee a match-up with controversy or too much drama, you will not be given a do-over! Being involved such games is not seen as something to your credit in experience,…it is seen as a failing, incompetence or even possible bias.

My mind is blown - that a league whichbboth allows & heavily promotes betting upon their games ..,does NOT do it’s due diligence & have better optics regarding all of this?

With all of the potential referees available & this time of year, why in hell was KS, of all people, assigned to officiate in this particular game? Canucks Nation & even neutral observers  conclude that suspicions of league machinations & other such conspiracy theories…have far more legitimate traction, now…because of that ridiculous choice..

Just because they are the most senior officials, does not make them….the best of the best. They  are frequently slower, more arrogant, & maybe even more likely to be visually impaired… than their younger peers. They are more likely to be old-school, which means when whistles go away the players feel obliged to police themselves & more drama & injuries ensue. This is behaviour that the NHL & NHLPA with all of its’ increased use of modern technology & sports medicine science & research, is supposed to be evolving away from.

Progressive is NOT a dirty word, people! Or, at least it isn’t anywhere else, but in the heads of those geriatric fossils still power-broking within the league…like perennial BOG chairman & Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs does.

Term limits on the DPS, Head of officiating, & the NHLBOG is a must …& please fire Bettman, he shouldn’t be Commissioner -for-life!! A new generation of leadership in the NHL is required. 

Edited by viking mama

1 minute ago, stawns said:

How does it tilt the ice?  It's something that didn't happen.  What tilted the ice is that the oilers played MCD and drai every second shift ov the third and Vancouver were overwhelmed and passive.  Missed calls had nothing to do with that.

Missed calls didn't just happen to the canucks

Please just stop making excuses for incompetent officiating, there’s are many reasons we lost and officiating was sadly one of them. It should never be at this point in the season.

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Please just stop making excuses for incompetent officiating, there’s are many reasons we lost and officiating was sadly one of them. It should never be at this point in the season.

Pretty simple. Close game, didn't go our way. 

Next game. That's hockey.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Oddly enough I thought they were a couple of the guys actually trying to forecheck the most. 

In a game we lost because we didn't forecheck lol.

I did too........they had one great shift in the third where they kept the puck in the oilers end for most of the shift.  One of the very few, actually.

Ultimately tocchet had no answer for knoblauch putting MCD and drai on the same line and then playing the hell out of them

Credit to their coaching staff, they had a better strategy

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Let's hope the team has a better mindset than this.

2 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

kid-the-hockey-player-in-the-gif-is-on-h

"If I told you once, I told you a thousand times, McDavid must win a cup, ok?"

McDavid's a dirty pos whining princess.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Let's hope the team has a better mindset than this.

Damn, too much beer makes me react to the dumbest shit, luckily in the morning I’ll be sober, good night.

The Edmonton Oilers scored 3 even strength goals to Vancouver's 2.  Ultimately that made just as much of a difference as the officiating.

Can't change the refs.  But you can change the score.  

• Haha 1