[PGT] Shitmonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 2

Tough outcome last night - whatever strategy they used in the third to hold the lead obviously did not work.  Its not the first time this has happened against fast moving teams this year.  Thought it was a similar result against the Avs and Stars late in the regular season.  So now back to the drawing board - a tweak here and maybe some personnel changes?  Was surprised at the number of call ups.  I think they'll look to see if they need to get faster to better match the Oilers speed.  Perhaps some line changes to offset some of the slower lines as you can't defend if you can't keep up. 

They are even bigger underdogs now (just checked) as per Vegas and the media so hopefully this motivates them a bit. Wasn't an awful overall performance but from the goals I saw, most were the Oilers exploiting some of the weak areas / seams within the D. 

Up to RT+ coaches to see if they can make the necessary adjustments for game 03.  And if some personnel changes are needed, have 13 additional players to choose from.

Go Canucks.

10 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

There was always one common trend that I always saw - majority of consistent winners in all these sports never complained about refereeing, not even internally in locker room conversations.

We're not on the team. Our team didn't/isn't complaining, we are. And that's ok. Also volleyball is quite different than hockey. The physicality aspect of it all.

Also, I'm quite sure there are teams that do complain.....the Oilers leading the charge in that in the past.

Maybe because when you're winning it's positive and not much is complained about. And yes, when you're losing it can become glaring if (missed) calls factor in.

I do appreciate the insight though. Experience doesn't always transfer over in sports...experiences can be different.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Wing said:

Is there a chance Sutherland will ref another game in this series? I'm not sure how the ref rotation works the playoffs. If we get to game 7, nhl might just put him to make sure Oils advance. 

The NHL must get some whiff of the fact that Canucks fans do not trust Sutherland as an unbiased arbitrator of the game.  If he truly does have a 0-8 Canucks loss record for playoff reffing, it backs that up.   And there is plenty of raw footage to support why fans have that viewpoint.  I'd imagine there are at least 3 or 4 bad calls, or non-calls in all of those games. Not just the calls, but the timing of the calls.  Kelly also knows just when a call or non call will hurt the team most. He's a master at it being in the reffing game so long.

My question is, if the NHL know Canucks fans feel this way, why not keep Sutherland away from Canucks games, even for the sake of the perception of fairness? Even if the NHL thinks our complaining is baseless?

I hate that Bettman and co. don 't even give it a second to think about. Just scoff at Vancouver fans, and will not hesitate to put that corrupt piece of shit in the next crucial game for the Canucks. And just ignore their customers in the far north west's opinions.

And no one in the local media ever takes it seriously either because they have conflicting interests. Working for Rogers, who have a partnership with the NHL.

I just hate how we have to win against not only the other team, but that f'n pos as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

And as far as refs being human beings and all that. Sure. But they f’d up royally this game. Just like players can f up. We all have a right to be disappointed with how this game was managed 

Edited by Devron
  • Like 2

Imagine DeSmith wins games 3 and/or 4.  Then Demko comes back to win the final game.  Canucks again win a series with 3 different goaltenders. 😂 

• Haha 1
  • Desmenko 1

2 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Is there a rule that prevents the linesman from describing what happened to the referee and the incident being reviewed based on that? 

Why do they often confer in groups of four? 

Regardless, I understand your poke at the system. Imo there are no excuses for what we saw last night and the resulting injury and blood running down Hughes face.

I’d like to see any career professional get unexpectedly stick whacked across the face two handed by a grow man and not have their subsequent performance diminished. Would a school teacher finish the day as if everything was normal?

No there isn't a rule, they are allowed to make those calls but it is an etiquette thing to leave it to the 2 referees. It's stupid but that's the way it is. It gets super frustrating in instances like last night where that missed call likely dictates the outcome of the game.

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

We're not on the team. Our team didn't/isn't complaining, we are. And that's ok. Also volleyball is quite different than hockey. The physicality aspect of it all.

Also, I'm quite sure there are teams that do complain.....the Oilers leading the charge in that in the past.

Maybe because when you're winning it's positive and not much is complained about. And yes, when you're losing it can become glaring if (missed) calls factor in.

I do appreciate the insight though. Experience doesn't always transfer over in sports...experiences can be different.

This is actually quite the opposite - the consistent winning comes after you fix your mindset, not the other way around. Ask any sports psychologist. The nature of the game doesn’t matter. And the fact that Oilers led the charge in complaining in the past only proves the point - they haven’t won anything, have they? 🙂 

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I thought Silovs was really really good, especially under pressure. He's come up with saves that have been pretty big.

With that, I also do feel that to keep him in after a loss might be the wrong move. He's done well, let him sit/rest and take the pressure off him.

DeSmith can come in fresh. 

We win as a team. We need a village to win. I think we should swap a D and a F too 

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

No there isn't a rule, they are allowed to make those calls but it is an etiquette thing to leave it to the 2 referees. It's stupid but that's the way it is. It gets super frustrating in instances like last night where that missed call likely dictates the outcome of the game.

that seems insane that etiquette is prioritized over doing the right thing

linesmen should be calling stuff like this. they dont have to call everything but if something egregious isnt getting called by the two referees, they need to do whats right instead of deferring to the rights of the referees to be blind and miss stuff

• Upvote 1

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

how is someone not reviewing the slew foot from kane on hughes? 

No doubt I don’t even know what the Ryan was. Must of missed it. So many missed calls guess it got lost with the rest 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Accountability.

They’ve been preaching it all season, can’t stop now.

Cole and Hoglander have not been nearly good enough. Time to give other guys a chance.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

No doubt I don’t even know what the Ryan was. Must of missed it. So many missed calls guess it got lost with the rest 

Stick to Hogz balls.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I wonder if there are lingering effects...oww....of that spear in the knards.   That was pretty vicious. 

Edited by kilgore

Our D didn't have the best game overall. I think an away game is good. 

Overall we looked static, stationary the second half of the game. Floating? Maybe afraid to make mistakes,  then of course we make those same mistakes anyway.  

I think the big hits on Huggy and Petie threw us off too. How to respond? Do we not respond? Then suffer through a couple of bad calls?

Maybe a time out was in order to reset our mindset somehow.  That bad pinch by Soucy was an act of desperation. 

Tocchet needs to read that low energy flow that happened,  and happens from time to time. 

We need to add a sledgehammer like Juul's just to keep them honest. PDG had a hit on McD last night, imagine if that was Juul's?

• Like 1

I think I agree with some posters to reunite the Joshua,Blueger,Garland line.  Play Lindholm with Petterson. And also move Mikheyev and Hoglander to the 4th.  Just need a  center for them though. 

• Like 2