Disappointed Tocchet did not raise missed calls in Press conference

48 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Tocchet's not a whiner like a lot of fans are.

Ref this ref that boohoo. They missed calls both ways. Play better and you'll win, Canucks didn't play well enough in game 2. 

Let's pick it up in game 3!

Do you consider Kelly Sutherland's conduct to be acceptable?  Yes or no question.

This thread title is misleading. Tocchet acknowledged slew foots but in a way that didn’t name names or call refs out directly for non-calls. Directly criticizing the officiating isn’t going to move the needle like some here think - it would only do harm. As others have noted, I trust our brass is having the appropriate conversations in the appropriate forums. 

10 hours ago, Fan Abroad said:

It went both ways. I agree that there were many missed calls for both sides.

Some of those came down to game management from the refs, and that's what teams, media and fans hate to see. Sometimes that management feels like favouring a team (and sometimes it can't be ignored that it does), sometimes it's about putting the whistle away, and sometimes it's about making up a call (either from a missed call or a bit of an soft call the other way). Everyone just wants to see consistency - regardless of the time of year - and will accept the odd call that gets missed. 

I always think of my years playing rugby. Before every single game, the ref would come and speak to each team and detail how they were going to call the game. They encouraged questions on any areas that could be confusing or newer rules. That is not something seen in most other sports, and hockey could greatly benefit from that kind of transparency and attitude.

27 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If you think the game is being called unreasonably, you should speak out. If you're too much of a wuss to say your thoughts, it will keep happening.

You will be prayed upon on a regular basis. 

Don’t start bringing religion into this!

Last time we called out reffing in the post-game the Refs gave us that 10-7 minny game where we were called for just lightly bumping players.

When Gillis fired this bullet in the first round in 2011. We got no calls for Mason Raymond's broken back and the Aaron Rome match penalty. 

The refs are a tight brotherhood and an old boys club.  Best we can hope for is just ignore them and play through it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Whether you like it or not, the league is BS and isn't governed like a court room where logic and truth prevails. It's a slimy old boys club with backroom deals. 

RT, JR and Co is playing this the right way. 

Watch for reffing to be favourable next game because we towed the company line and didn't "embarrass" the league but went through the "right" channels. 

They know we got screwed and a memo will go out internally. 

Funny how sports has come to this... 

I hope so!  This is kind of what I was getting at too.  Though you are probably right, rather than through "proper protocol", the old boys club is the route to take...

The league is horribly corrupt. They don’t hold their shitty officiating staff to any semblance of accountability. Tocchet calling out these stool samples will only amount to him being fined. This league protects its vile officials with everything they have because the brass enjoys the idea of game management. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/11/2024 at 2:24 PM, Coconuts said:

Not terribly surprising, I don't think calling out the reffing in the media would actually help any. If anything it could backfire. 

I agree maybe if upper management or owner contact the league would probably be a better option

• Cheers 1

There was no need to say anything. He addressed it by sending a still bleeding Hughes back on the ice for the next face-off and making the Refs send him back to the bench for repairs. It was quite the statement, everyone noticed, he didn't have to say anything and risk being fined or called a whiner. I think the response was perfect.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Audio Dave said:

There was no need to say anything. He addressed it by sending a still bleeding Hughes back on the ice for the next face-off and making the Refs send him back to the bench for repairs. It was quite the statement, everyone noticed, he didn't have to say anything and risk being fined or called a whiner. I think the response was perfect.

Just look at the difference between the two teams character.     Thank god we have Tochett.   He's as cool as a cucumber, answers the right questions, ignores others - and doesn't use the refs as an excuse even if the games highly slanted.    Maybe he has inside information.  

Gambling on the sport puts a ton of scrutiny on them.    Have to be as clean as whistle (pun intended) in this regard.   There will always be bad calls, missed calls, and games where poor reffing is the biggest difference maker.     He knows this, and is taking the high road.   So is the team (so far), we don't see QHs looking at the ref or constantly blabbing at every chance he gets.   McDavid will always be a loser as @Alflives says, until he cuts his crap out.    It's ok to use your influence somewhat, but non-stop is tiresome.   Let EDM take the low road. 

• Cheers 1

The one thing very noticeable with this management group and coaching staff is they are extremely professional and respectful or at the least know their place. Not to be taken as a sign of weakness and believe me I would have loved to see the club advocate for their players more or not stand for missed calls publicly too but end of the day the right approach is being civil and professional.

Tocchet has played this tune all year and he is essentially killing them with kindness re: Sutherland's performance and Tocchet's response " tough job ". Being he is an old school former tough NHL player that has seen it all his words do carry weight. During his media availability when asked about Canucks fines and possible suspensions he ever so subtly mentioned an Oilers missed call that could very well have been as much a suspension as Soucy's. Putting it out there, the league and officials can know the Canucks know the deal, the coach knows what is going on. It was a brilliant display and at some point karma and Vancouver putting their heads down and working harder is going to pay off more and more.

• Like 1

I don’t mind him not calling out the refs.. the penalty count have been relatively low for both team and I rather they keep it that way.. you rarely see 1 team have way more power play than the other.. if they call more power play for the Canucks.. that usually means more power play for the oilers too.. so ya no issue 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Just look at the difference between the two teams character.     Thank god we have Tochett.   He's as cool as a cucumber, answers the right questions, ignores others - and doesn't use the refs as an excuse even if the games highly slanted.    Maybe he has inside information.  

Gambling on the sport puts a ton of scrutiny on them.    Have to be as clean as whistle (pun intended) in this regard.   There will always be bad calls, missed calls, and games where poor reffing is the biggest difference maker.     He knows this, and is taking the high road.   So is the team (so far), we don't see QHs looking at the ref or constantly blabbing at every chance he gets.   McDavid will always be a loser as @Alflives says, until he cuts his crap out.    It's ok to use your influence somewhat, but non-stop is tiresome.   Let EDM take the low road. 

He never cuts his crap out, he is wired that way, it is in his DNA.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

He never cuts his crap out, he is wired that way, it is in his DNA.

Maybe Juulsen giving that gutless coward something to really cry about by sending him off the ice on a stretcher might help.  Otherwise, he needs a coach to tell him that he'll be in the press box if he doesn't start acting like a real man on and off the ice.

Edited by King Heffy