[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 3 - Round 2

Wow I just realized we out PPd Edm last night

2 for 3 on the PP. If our special team comes alive, those guys are done. We killed 2 very important ones in the 3rd.

We killed them pretty much every stat category except shots. 

I believe high danger was 7-6 for them

I wonder who's playing goal for them next game

Screenshot_20240514_074902_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5a223256547dfd2727356992aa075c28.jpg

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, when they need to be. they contest everything, especially in the neutral zone. when they get a lead, they tend to sit back a bit, but they'll learn. 

The canucks fwds are very aggressive, just not risky.  Every lose puck is contested and opposing players have no space. They only collapse into the diamond to minimize high danger chances, and to protect the crease. The Canucks absolutely dominate in front of their net; some due to our D size, but also their system. It is SO refreshing to finally be the team that does this.  The fact that we got outshoot 22-3, but the HDSCs in that time period were 2-1 Oilers is ridiculous.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, when they need to be. they contest everything, especially in the neutral zone. when they get a lead, they tend to sit back a bit, but they'll learn. 

I'd say they do that for one period, or until they get a lead and then it's just curl up in the fetal position and protect their vital organs from serious damage.  They had 7 shots in the last two periods last night.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say they do that for one period, or until they get a lead and then it's just curl up in the fetal position and protect their vital organs from serious damage.  They had 7 shots in the last two periods last night.

how'd it work out for them?

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

I think one key/concern the Canucks need to gameplan for tomorrow is when the Oil send 3 fwds deep on the forecheck.  Only Hughes/Garland were able to exit the zone w their skating ability-the rest of the D were flipping the puck out or rimming it around and losing possession.  If the Canucks can break that forecheck they’ll destroy EDM going the other way

I wonder if they'll work on that today. 

Im worried about the speed of Juulsen's puck retrieval and outlet pass. 

He's not going to have very much time

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

how'd it work out for them?

I'm not arguing that, but I wouldn't use the term aggressive to describe their play for the majority of this series.

Just now, stawns said:

I'm not arguing that, but I wouldn't use the term aggressive to describe their play for the majority of this series.

I don't care. it's a hallmark of their playstyle. you'd be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Wow I just realized we out PPd Edm last night

2 for 3 on the PP. If our special team comes alive, those guys are done. We killed 2 very important ones in the 3rd.

We killed them pretty much every stat category except shots. 

I believe high danger was 7-6 for them

I wonder who's playing goal for them next game

Screenshot_20240514_074902_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5a223256547dfd2727356992aa075c28.jpg

I remember being that team outshooting the opponent and losing all the other metrics not too long ago. We didn't win all that much, and needed Demko to stand on his head to make the HDSC saves on minimal shots. Now, we've flipped table....and get accused of being lucky, but we win alot!

PDO is stat people use wrong; it is NOT an indication of luck in the longterm, it shows commitment to ensure our opportunities are HDSC vs fluff. You cant beat good goalies with fluff, so why waste offensive zone time with fluff shots w/o net presence (which would turn a chance to HDSC). 

To be honest, I love that they outshot us every night. Just makes their fans rag on Skinner and the team, while ignoring the true issues. They can stack up shots (and tears)...we will stack wins!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I remember being that team outshooting the opponent and losing all the other metrics not too long ago. We didn't win all that much, and needed Demko to stand on his head to make the HDSC saves on minimal shots. Now, we've flipped table....and get accused of being lucky, but we win alot!

PDO is stat people use wrong; it is NOT an indication of luck in the longterm, it shows commitment to ensure our opportunities are HDSC vs fluff. You cant beat good goalies with fluff, so why waste offensive zone time with fluff shots w/o net presence (which would turn a chance to HDSC). 

To be honest, I love that they outshot us every night. Just makes their fans rag on Skinner and the team, while ignoring the true issues. They can stack up shots (and tears)...we will stack wins!

At this point everyone should just admit that this team do not waste shots. 

Out PDO is high partly due to great goaltending and how efficient we are with high danger chances. 

It is one thing to have high pdo when bunch of low to mid danger chances goes in and other when almost all goals are from high danger chances. 

It look ugly as heck but there is no denying the efficiency. Didn't we have almost the same high danger chances as Edmonton in the third despite the ice looking tilted in their favor?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

DOPS once again proves to be horribly inconsistent. No shocker. 

Hyman is going to get hurt next game. He best pray that it’s Miller, Blueger or Joshua that tags him, as Zadorov will want to exact some revenge.  

Silovs harnessing his inner Hextall would be alright...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I used to live in Eastern time zone before and missed a lot of Canucks game.  If you do have PVR, use it and shut out all noise, no radio, no internet and watch the game whenever you can in the morning before you get on internet, radio, TV etc.  

unfortunately the only way to make that work would be to wake up at 5am to watch it. It’s a good idea in theory though. I work at a Sporting Goods store and they know I’m a Canucks fan so it’d be unlikely everyone would keep quiet about the result 

Forget about putting up points - can Pettersson please somehow impact the game offensively by helping with breakouts, zone entries, and/or creating offensive zone time?

It's so frustrating how little he's managing to accomplish.

7 minutes ago, 24K said:

At this point everyone should just admit that this team do not waste shots. 

Out PDO is high partly due to great goaltending and how efficient we are with high danger chances. 

It is one thing to have high pdo when bunch of low to mid danger chances goes in and other when almost all goals are from high danger chances. 

It look ugly as heck but there is no denying the efficiency. Didn't we have almost the same high danger chances as Edmonton in the third despite the ice looking tilted in their favor?

Yep; shots 22-3 Oilers // HDSC 2-1 Oilers

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Forget about putting up points - can Pettersson please somehow impact the game offensively by helping with breakouts, zone entries, and/or creating offensive zone time?

It's so frustrating how little he's managing to accomplish.

I have thought Petterson has been looking better and better as the series goes on. It is hard for him to stack the offensive stats when he’s playing with guys that have zero finish right now (Mik & Hogs). His PP has been great this series and his 200’ is very good…even being physical. Hogs and Mik have been frustrating to watch though.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

I think one key/concern the Canucks need to gameplan for tomorrow is when the Oil send 3 fwds deep on the forecheck.  Only Hughes/Garland were able to exit the zone w their skating ability-the rest of the D were flipping the puck out or rimming it around and losing possession.  If the Canucks can break that forecheck they’ll destroy EDM going the other way

Like Toch said, there are a lot of opportunities for odd man rushes, we've had a few but should be getting more.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Some media / analysts are saying for EDM to start Pickard in game 4.

Stupid move; you basically 100% disengage Skinner at that point. Pickard is no better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Stupid move; you basically 100% disengage Skinner at that point. Pickard is no better.

He's way faster and better at handling the puck. It was obvious from just watching him for a few minutes. Skinner has been getting whooped by the Canucks all year. They have to try Pickard. He could get hot or have our number 

• Cheers 1