[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 3 - Round 2

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Goes without saying that tomorrow is a huge opportunity. Continue to frustrate the oilers and finish checks. Keep them to the outside much like we did last game. Win before all else but I would looooove Juulsen to absolutely crush one of their forwards. All the crying for Soucy to be suspended without realizing his replacement is a freight train.

Our stars need to be our stars. Miller is tied up with McDavid so Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Lindholm need to produce offensively for us. I was also pleasantly surprised by karlsson. Hopefully he is what Petey needs.

I'd like to see Karlsson and Aman stay in the lineup, but at the same time Hoglander is probably ready to go again. Aman was very good on the PK, especially the last two powerplay's for Edmonton, you have to keep him in just for that. Karlsson was great yesterday as well, smart defensively, Rick had him out there in the end game. 

It might not be a bad thing to rotate out the bottom 6 regularly, it will keep them rested and motivated. 

• Cheers 4

Just now, J-23 said:

I'd like to see Karlsson and Aman stay in the lineup, but at the same time Hoglander is probably ready to go again. Aman was very good on the PK, especially the last two powerplay's for Edmonton, you have to keep him in just for that. Karlsson was great yesterday as well, smart defensively, Rick had him out there in the end game. 

It might not be a bad thing to rotate out the bottom 6 regularly, it will keep them rested and motivated. 

im happy that tocchet is not completely revamping lines

every game its fun to watch the chemistry between linemates improve

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I really like Hoglander. But what has he done in the playoffs to warrant going back in?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I really like Hoglander. But what has he done in the playoffs to warrant going back in?

Obviously not much but you have to get him back in. A scratch like this will get him going again, like it did early in the season.

18 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Same bullshit as them continually using “two best players in the world”….even heard McD referred to as “best of all time”. My personal fav “skinner is costing McD and Draisatl the cup they deserve”. Plain and simple; it’s entitlement.

Entitled is not what hockey is supposed to be about.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's a big learning curve for him. If he can avoid Bali and really work on his strength training he'll be fine for  next year.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

As I said, forget about points. If he's creating chances and his linemates can't capitalize, that's not on him.

Even so, I don't believe he's looked appreciably better alongside Miller and Boeser. And he's not made a significant impact on the PP where his linemates are perfectly fine.

For a player regarded as one of the best in the league, I expect him to consistently create time and space for himself and his linemates and show the occasional flash of individual drive. I can't say I've seen that in these past 9 games.

I agree he improved steadily over the Nashville series (albeit, starting from a fairly low bar). However, I don't believe he's gotten better every game this series.

I think he was having an excellent game 2 until he got boarded head-first, then smoked in the head a few seconds later.  He seems to have lost the spark he had earlier in the game before the hit and I didn't see it in game 3 at all.

What I'm wondering is will Edmonton be playing McDavid and Draisaitl 30 minutes again next game? on the one hand it seems kind of insane to ride them that hard for a 3rd game in a row but on the other hand I imagine they will be extremely eager to try and take advantage of a Canucks defense that doesn't have one of it's best defenders in Soucy. 

1 minute ago, CaribouCanuck said:

What I'm wondering is will Edmonton be playing McDavid and Draisaitl 30 minutes again next game? on the one hand it seems kind of insane to ride them that hard for a 3rd game in a row but on the other hand I imagine they will be extremely eager to try and take advantage of a Canucks defense that doesn't have one of it's best defenders in Soucy. 

I think it's sustainable for a series, but not beyond that and it definitely feels like they're robbing peter to pay Paul.

If the oilers comeback and get past the Canucks, are those 5 guys going to have enough gas to make the same impact in the conference finals?

24 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

im happy that tocchet is not completely revamping lines

every game its fun to watch the chemistry between linemates improve

Talking of which, Karlsson and Hoglander have great chemistry.  Formed 2/3 of the hottest line in the AHL last season (with Aman).

Would like to see a game or two with them together, flanking Petey.  They could be dynamite

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Silovs harnessing his inner Hextall would be alright...

His trajectory right now is Ken Dryden.  Dryden was playing in the AHL at age 23 and then got called up by Montreal with 6 games left in the season as their starting goalie got injured.  Dryden won all 6 games and then was the starter in the playoffs.  He played 20 games in the playoffs, won 16 and won the Cup and the Conn Smythe trophy as well.

• Desmenko 2

10 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

Apparently Khobhead is going to play them 40 minutes each tomorrow night...

9 hours ago, LaBamba said:

A lot of these guys are too young to remember how savage Rick Tocchet was. His savagery is oozing into our team.

Knoblauch Looks stunned and lost like his team. 

One of the meanest, fighter in NHL history.  He could also score goals.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it's sustainable for a series, but not beyond that and it definitely feels like they're robbing peter to pay Paul.

If the oilers comeback and get past the Canucks, are those 5 guys going to have enough gas to make the same impact in the conference finals?

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Talking of which, Karlsson and Hoglander have great chemistry.  Formed 2/3 of the hottest line in the AHL last season (with Aman).

Would like to see a game or two with them together, flanking Petey.  They could be dynamite

the only thing is mikheyev is way better defensively than hoglander

thatd be my only reservation pulling mikheyev out

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I was thinking the same thing - the Big Team Swedish House Mafia!

• Like 1

Did I miss the memo where once we have the lead that we simply sit back and stop playing any offensive hockey. 7 shots over two period. What a joke at the professional level. Second fewest shots at this point in NHL history. I hoped it was a funk with Nashville because compared to Edmonton they're defensive stalwarts, but as a spectator this is frustrating.

It is extremely tough to stomach watching this team defend for 30 straight minutes like they did last night. They are more than capable of continuing the attack, sitting on the lead like they did last night even though it worked out in their favor is incredibly stupid. I was constantly shaking my head at the moment they gained possession, they chipped it down the ice and changed - for 30 god damn minutes. There was one instance in the third where they actually did attempt to do something offensively and it was fantastic because it ate a ton of time off the clock, otherwise they were hanging on for dear life. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

the only thing is mikheyev is way better defensively than hoglander

thatd be my only reservation pulling mikheyev out

Pull out lafferty and put mikheyev on the 4th

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CurtFraser24 said:

One of the meanest, fighter in NHL history.  He could also score goals.

I don't think RT has a problem with our guys playing tough.

6 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

Did I miss the memo where once we have the lead that we simply sit back and stop playing any offensive hockey. 7 shots over two period. What a joke at the professional level. Second fewest shots at this point in NHL history. I hoped it was a funk with Nashville because compared to Edmonton they're defensive stalwarts, but as a spectator this is frustrating.

It is extremely tough to stomach watching this team defend for 30 straight minutes like they did last night. They are more than capable of continuing the attack, sitting on the lead like they did last night even though it worked out in their favor is incredibly stupid. I was constantly shaking my head at the moment they gained possession, they chipped it down the ice and changed - for 30 god damn minutes. There was one instance in the third where they actually did attempt to do something offensively and it was fantastic because it ate a ton of time off the clock, otherwise they were hanging on for dear life. 

It's so frustrating.  I get people trying to rationalize it into something it's not, but it's not a sustainable mode of play.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

Its not just the canucks sitting back

the oilers are pushing hard. Mcdavid and Draisaitl are out every other shift. The canucks are trying to keep rolling lines. Tocchet is looking long term and not just the period they are in. So the canucks are going to take less risks to get offence.

on the other hand, the Oilers, while getting shots, aren’t generating much in the way of high danger chances

last game was 8 for the oilers and 6 for the canucks

McDavid and Draisaitl are beating them selves by playing 30 minutes a game

Edit-but I agree, i wanted the score to be 6-2 and really get inside the oilers heads, but it settled at 4-3 by not pushing back as hard as they’re capable of

Edited by Johnny
  • Vintage 2