[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 3 - Round 2

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Apparently Khobhead is going to play them 40 minutes each tomorrow night...

What if it goes overtime and they've already played 30 again? Too bad last time they got lucky early. 

7 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

Did I miss the memo where once we have the lead that we simply sit back and stop playing any offensive hockey. 7 shots over two period. What a joke at the professional level. Second fewest shots at this point in NHL history. I hoped it was a funk with Nashville because compared to Edmonton they're defensive stalwarts, but as a spectator this is frustrating.

It is extremely tough to stomach watching this team defend for 30 straight minutes like they did last night. They are more than capable of continuing the attack, sitting on the lead like they did last night even though it worked out in their favor is incredibly stupid. I was constantly shaking my head at the moment they gained possession, they chipped it down the ice and changed - for 30 god damn minutes. There was one instance in the third where they actually did attempt to do something offensively and it was fantastic because it ate a ton of time off the clock, otherwise they were hanging on for dear life. 

I don’t know if you ever seen the early UFC’s but we were like Royce Gracie. Just cling on till they punch themself out and suffocate. Equally as frustrating to watch. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

What if it goes overtime and they've already played 30 again? Too bad last time they got lucky early. 

Overtime will definitely favour us.  We just need to make sure that Cole isn't on the ice in OT, at least not when McBaby and Dry-Saddle are out there...

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don’t know if you ever seen the early UFC’s but we were like Royce Gracie. Just cling on till they punch themself out and suffocate. Equally as frustrating to watch. 

That's originally Muhammad Ali and the rope-a-dope

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Overtime will definitely favour us.  We just need to make sure that Cole isn't on the ice in OT, at least not when McBaby and Dry-Saddle are out there...

Curious to see if Tocchet agrees.

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It may be a sound strategy until it's not. As the other posted mentioned, it's not sustainable and even if the 'high danger chances' were even, all they did need was one bounce to have us on our heels big time and they're going to keep having the possibility of those bounces as long as they're getting pucks through, even low percentage chances. They really need to keep the foot on the gas. 

homer simpson episode 3 GIF

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

It may be a sound strategy until it's not. As the other posted mentioned, it's not sustainable and even if the 'high danger chances' were even, all they did need was one bounce to have us on our heels big time and they're going to keep having the possibility of those bounces as long as they're getting pucks through, even low percentage chances. They really need to keep the foot on the gas. 

homer simpson episode 3 GIF

It’s exhausting, we look so gassed after doing  that for the majority of the game. 

Edited by LaBamba

18 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

Did I miss the memo where once we have the lead that we simply sit back and stop playing any offensive hockey. 7 shots over two period. What a joke at the professional level. Second fewest shots at this point in NHL history. I hoped it was a funk with Nashville because compared to Edmonton they're defensive stalwarts, but as a spectator this is frustrating.

It is extremely tough to stomach watching this team defend for 30 straight minutes like they did last night. They are more than capable of continuing the attack, sitting on the lead like they did last night even though it worked out in their favor is incredibly stupid. I was constantly shaking my head at the moment they gained possession, they chipped it down the ice and changed - for 30 god damn minutes. There was one instance in the third where they actually did attempt to do something offensively and it was fantastic because it ate a ton of time off the clock, otherwise they were hanging on for dear life. 

Ya we should've continued forechecking in the 2nd, their defense make a lot of turnovers and mistakes when we forecheck.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

Just accept the fact that is the way they play. Build up lead with highly efficient shots and defend it to the end. 

Turn the jets on if needed for a comeback. 

They literally been playing this way the whole season and only reason it was not this pronounced was they were often playing against lower competition. 

In the playoffs, don't have luxury to expose other team while mainly defending. Playing Silvos probably also has the team be more conservative than they would if Demko was back there. 

We tried the always on the attack approach with Bruce and that failed miserably. Sure entertaining though. 

Edited by 24K

15 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Its not just the canucks sitting back

the oilers are pushing hard. Mcdavid and Draisaitl are out every other shift. The canucks are trying to keep rolling lines. Tocchet is looking long term and not just the period they are in. So the canucks are going to take less risks to get offence.

on the other hand, the Oilers, while getting shots, aren’t generating much in the way of high danger chances

last game was 8 for the oilers and 6 for the canucks

McDavid and Draisaitl are beating them selves by playing 30 minutes a game

Edit-but I agree, i wanted the score to be 6-2 and really get inside the oilers heads, but it settled at 4-3 by not pushing back as hard as they’re capable of

I agree that playing their big guns every second shift is a tough thing to defend against and keep momentum, but they had, what, 7 shots in the last two periods?  

I get that the high danger chances are actually pretty close, but you can't just let wave after wave after wave keep coming at you.  They have to be able to mount some kind of challenge there

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 24K said:

Just accept the fact that is the way they play. Build up lead with highly efficient shots and defend it to the end. 

Turn the jets on if needed for a comeback. 

They literally been playing this way the whole season and only reason it was not this pronounced was they were often playing against lower competition. 

In the playoffs, don't have luxury to expose other team while mainly defending. Playing Silvos probably also has the team be more conservative than they would if Demko was back there. 

We tried the always on the attack approach with Bruce and that failed miserably. Sure entertaining though. 

That's not taking a defensive posture, that's rolling up into a fetal position while someone kicks you repeatedly........at some point, yourre going to get hurt, badly

Edited by stawns

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree that playing their big guns every second shift is a tough thing to defend against and keep momentum, but they had, what, 7 shots in the last two periods?  

I get that the high danger chances are actually pretty close, but you can't just let wave after wave after wave keep coming at you.  They have to be able to mount some kind of challenge there

Hopefully the boys are ready for a very desperate Oilers team 

22 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Excellent point!
and Royce proved that superior technique trumps raw athleticism and power.  Brazilian jiu jitsu changed martial arts forever. The Canucks in a sense are doing just that. The point is to win, and they are winning. You think there is a reason Tocc is up for Jack Adams? Superior tactics that result in wins. Complaining about how they are getting those wins is dumb. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, whcanuck said:

So I live in the Pittsburgh area, the games are really late at night. Sadly I start work at 7a M-F. My wife and I have two young sons, but they’re 6 and 4 so it’s not like they’re babies who need lots of care in the middle of the night.  I’ve stayed up real late for a few of the Canucks playoff games, but I definitely feel it the next day.

Guys and girls, convince me with compelling arguments why I should stay up way late in the eastern time zone to watch the rest of the Canucks playoff games 🙂

PVR the game, don't listen to the sports stations the next day, watch the game when you get home.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Excellent article by Johnston. Wow. 

I was beginning to wonder if anyone from our local media was going to have our back and fire some shots across - I had just assumed not because, well, it’s Vancouver media.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's not taking a defensive posture, that's rolling up into a fetal position while someone kicks you repeatedly........at some point, yourre going to get hurt, badly

Game 2 sure. That was brutal. Game 3 it is more defensive posture. Oilers can run around and shoot from the parameter all they want and that is what happened. 

I will agree they need to skate the puck through the neutral zone rather than dumping and icing it all the time but that is also hard to do as Oilers kinda keep 3 players near the back clogging up the neutral zone making it hard to get pass them.