Zadorov Fined $5000 and Soucy suspended for 1 game for the Ruffling McDavid's Feathers

1 minute ago, Psylocke said:

Yeah, but that would mean having accountability. And we all know that the refs don't have nor want any of that. 

The NHLPA needs to step up during the next CBA and demand some accountability for the officials.  Right now, the corruption from the refs is a massive threat to player safety. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

You can have whatever opinion you want.  What I reacted to in your previous post was "missed calls are missed calls".  The point is that not even the NHL sees it that way. 

"Supplementary discipline exists (among other reasons) to make up for missed calls on dangerous plays” was what you said in your post, and I disagreed there were as many as you thought that would qualify for that. Missed calls that wouldn't receive anything outside of an in game penalty are not handled by supplemental discipline, some of which can still be dangerous.

I do agree it can be a crap shoot at times for how penalties are called and what gets suspended, even if I'm typically the guy that can see their reasoning behind a suspension or not based on the reading of the rules.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

The league directs the refs to “manage” games to effect series results. Dallas is overcoming the cheating league and we will too. Our boys will beat the league and the Smelly Coilers. Cheating bastards. 

The NHL is definitely ok with game management, although I won't admit to believing they in general direct officials to do so in favour of one team over another. The perception alone is a terrible optic for the NHL though, and they really should be doing everything they can to fix that.

That’s right Zad, speak your mind:

Zadorov believes outside pressure may have impacted Soucy suspension

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Nikita Zadorov suggested Tuesday that public opinion and social media pressure may have led to the league's decision to suspend his teammate Carson Soucy.

Soucy received a one-game suspension on Monday for cross-checking Edmonton Oilers star Connor McDavid in the face in the seconds following the final buzzer of Vancouver's 4-3 win in Game 3 on Sunday. Soucy's cross-check landed as high as it did because McDavid was falling forward after a cross-check from behind by Zadorov, who was fined $5,000 on Monday. 

“Unfortunately that’s the world we’re living in,” Zadorov said Tuesday of outside pressure potentially impacting the decision to suspend Soucy. "...They have to protect their investment. That’s my understanding.”

Soucy said Monday he was not intending to injure McDavid on the play, which landed him a minor penalty with no time left on the clock. McDavid was not hurt on the play and called the incident part of heated series between the Canadian rivals.

“It’s just an unfortunate incident due to some timing. … Obviously there wasn’t intent to get a player up that high," Soucy said prior to the suspension being announced. “Emotions run high in those scrums at the end of the game.”

Holding a 2-1 lead in the second-round series, the Canucks will turn to defenceman Noah Juulsen to replace Soucy in Game 4 Tuesday. 

Soucy will draw back into the team's lineup for the first time since April 23, appearing in his second game of the playoffs after dressing for one game during the first round against the Nashville Predators.

“I just think we’re lucky to have him as our seventh defenceman," Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet said of Juulsen Monday. "He’s been a big contributor all year and played in some tough spots.

“We’re really confident in ‘Juuls.’”

Soucy will be eligible to return for Game 5 in Vancouver on Thursday.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/canucks-nikita-zadorov-believes-outside-pressure-may-have-impacted-carson-soucy-suspension-1.2120817

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

That’s right Zad, speak your mind:

Zadorov believes outside pressure may have impacted Soucy suspension

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Nikita Zadorov suggested Tuesday that public opinion and social media pressure may have led to the league's decision to suspend his teammate Carson Soucy.

Soucy received a one-game suspension on Monday for cross-checking Edmonton Oilers star Connor McDavid in the face in the seconds following the final buzzer of Vancouver's 4-3 win in Game 3 on Sunday. Soucy's cross-check landed as high as it did because McDavid was falling forward after a cross-check from behind by Zadorov, who was fined $5,000 on Monday. 

“Unfortunately that’s the world we’re living in,” Zadorov said Tuesday of outside pressure potentially impacting the decision to suspend Soucy. "...They have to protect their investment. That’s my understanding.”

Soucy said Monday he was not intending to injure McDavid on the play, which landed him a minor penalty with no time left on the clock. McDavid was not hurt on the play and called the incident part of heated series between the Canadian rivals.

“It’s just an unfortunate incident due to some timing. … Obviously there wasn’t intent to get a player up that high," Soucy said prior to the suspension being announced. “Emotions run high in those scrums at the end of the game.”

Holding a 2-1 lead in the second-round series, the Canucks will turn to defenceman Noah Juulsen to replace Soucy in Game 4 Tuesday. 

Soucy will draw back into the team's lineup for the first time since April 23, appearing in his second game of the playoffs after dressing for one game during the first round against the Nashville Predators.

“I just think we’re lucky to have him as our seventh defenceman," Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet said of Juulsen Monday. "He’s been a big contributor all year and played in some tough spots.

“We’re really confident in ‘Juuls.’”

Soucy will be eligible to return for Game 5 in Vancouver on Thursday.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/canucks-nikita-zadorov-believes-outside-pressure-may-have-impacted-carson-soucy-suspension-1.2120817

As proof positive big z is in their heads ... On X some Oilers fans now saying Z should be suspended games for that post ...

He's living rent free in their nightmares lol

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Sapper said:

As proof positive big z is in their heads ... On X some Oilers fans now saying Z should be suspended games for that post ...

He's living rent free in their nightmares lol

I'd be ok with that if McDiver also gets suspended every time he disgraces the sport with his tantrums.

On Kyper and Bourne, Dave Jackson (NHL Rules Analyst for ESPN) was just asked his view on the fines and suspensions and lack of suspensions in some regards and he flat out said “that’s above my pay grade” to start then kind of wandered his way to an answer that didn’t address the lack of suspension going to Hyman 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sapper said:

I can see Hronek being traded and that cap space being used to sign big z and lindholm

That’s what should be done unfortunately. If QH was the QH from 2 years ago then I’d say Hronek would be an absolute priority to stabilize that line, but with QH basically now becoming a perennial Norris candidate  he doesn’t necessarily require an elite RHD to assist to that line. Hronek to a degree has become a luxury that, because of QH, can be utilized to fulfill other needs, and Z and Lindy are needs that should be retained in terms of what it means for this team moving forward.

The D can run by committee if we have the right pieces and this season has proven that.

the thing that I’m most appreciative of is just how much value QH brings to this club. It’s F’n immeasurable what he has already accomplished and how his presence alone has fortified the entirety of this club. And he’s become captain so young. I can’t fathom where we would be without him, and think he’s still underrated despite all the attention and accolades. Absolute stud.

Edited by RWJC

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

That’s what should be done unfortunately. If QH was the QH from 2 years ago then I’d say Hronek would be an absolute priority to stabilize that line, but with QH basically now becoming a perennial Norris candidate  he doesn’t necessarily require an elite RHD to assist to that line. Hronek to a degree has become a luxury that, because of QH, can be utilized to fulfill other needs, and Z and Lindy are needs that should be retained in terms of what it means for this team moving forward.

The D can run by committee if we have the right pieces and this season has proven that.

the thing that I’m most appreciative of is just how much value QH brings to this club. It’s F’n immeasurable what he has already accomplished and how his presence alone has fortified the entirety of this club. And he’s become captain so young. I can’t fathom where we would be without him, and think he’s still underrated despite all the attention and accolades. Absolute stud.

Hronek is fantastic but we have Hughes and 2 stud defense prospects expected to make the team over the next 2 seasons 

In the cap era tough decisions need to happen and this is one of them unfortunately. Those ,2 have been vital to getting us this far this playoffs and their play has only increased their UFA market value.

Kinda off track for the thread but Myers has also played himself back in to the re sign group as well

• Cheers 1

Any illusion that the League was fair and objective in its discipline has been extinguished with this ruling.

McDavid initiated the exchange with his slash... Soucy gave him a light bump prior to the slash... nothing out of the ordinary when a player is around the net.

But clearly there are two standards.  One for the NHL golden boy and one for a Vancouver Canucks player.

This is a serious loss for the Canucks and will affect them in game 4.

Once again Vancouver has been targeted... and the League's bias has been revealed.

We saw this same cr*p in 2011... now we are seeing it in 2024.

If the team ever gets to the finals, and its against New York, imagine the Reffing and discipline.

IMG_4356.jpeg.fc93fadb09ff40c174dd67bb0f51f0ea.jpeg

Hymans  intentional cross check to the face 

the league just happen to “miss” it

where the outrage for shit bag button and spectre demanding a suspension 

Good work nhl keep up the super shitty job. 

31 minutes ago, Combover said:

Zadorov can break him tonight. Hyman needs a summer of recovery from some broken ribs. 

1 hour ago, Combover said:

They missed it because they haven’t seen this angle yet 

they will get it on Sunday 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

McDavid slashing legs ignored. Hyman's crosscheck to the face ignored. 

Basically this so called NHL Player's Safety Department looked at the video with the intent of slapping penalties and suspensions by picking bones on every little move Canucks players made while totally ignoring any moves Edmonton players made. 

Should be renamed McDavid's Whine and Retaliatory Department 

Posted (edited)

Regardless of whether McDavid or Hyman deserve penalties or suspensions,  The DOPS should have provided a comprehensive and thorough explanation to all aspects of the incident from when it first started to the end (not just the Soucy incident) Even if we don’t agree with their actions or lack there of, at least we know why they did what they did.  This is the minimum requirement of transparency and they owe it to the fans that give up their hard earn $$ to support this league.

Edited by coho8888