[Report] Canucks’ Jonathan Lekkerimäki, Elias Pettersson To Stay In North America

RWJC

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Provost said:

No one is stepping in to replace an expensive body, so don’t count on help for another 2-3 years 

I think you’re wrong. We’re going to need players to step up into regular NHL roles in order to balance cap. It’s necessity going forward unless we plan to move out a high salaried player to create space for an improvement on said player at lower cost.

Moving Mik and letting Cole walk saves us 7.75 mill, which more than half will already be absorbed by EP’s extension. As I previously pointed out in a post somewhere (although I used higher end numbers for extensions to Hronek, Zad and Joshua), we’re still very tight to the cap and will require some movement in order to balance the club’s depth.

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I think you’re wrong. We’re going to need players to step up into regular NHL roles in order to balance cap. It’s necessity going forward unless we plan to move out a high salaried player to create space for an improvement on said player at lower cost.

it is necessary… we just don’t have the prospects in the pipeline to do it next season.

Our higher end prospects are 2-4 years out still from being meaningful NHL players even if they do pan out.

• Cheers 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Provost said:

it is necessary… we just don’t have the prospects in the pipeline to do it next season.

Our higher end prospects are 2-4 years out still from being meaningful NHL players even if they do pan out.

Sorry I see what you’re saying.

im talking about 3rd and 4th line though. Aman, Podz, Karlsson all will likely get a chance for serious NHL reps next season given what our cap space will look like come next October (barring any seriously monumental trades happening). These 3 are likely ready or at very least being groomed to take the next step 

Edited by RWJC

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Sorry I see what you’re saying.

im talking about 3rd and 4th line though. Aman, Podz, Karlsson all will likely get a chance for serious NHL reps next season given what our cap space will look like come next October (barring any seriously monumental trades happening). These 3 are likely ready or at very least being groomed to take the next step 

They just won’t save any cap.  Players on those spots, even veteran players, aren’t really making more than what those guys are.

47 minutes ago, Provost said:

They just won’t save any cap.  Players on those spots, even veteran players, aren’t really making more than what those guys are.

Blueger often played 3rd and 4th line mins at 1.9 mill.

You can get two players to play 3rd and 4th line roles for that cap hit.

thats my point…we will have to adjust somehow when you factor in extensions/raises and OEL buyout, depending on whom we decide to keep. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Moving Mik and letting Cole walk saves us 7.75 mill, which half will already be absorbed by EP’s extension. As I previously pointed out in a post somewhere (although I used higher end numbers for extensions to Hronek, Zad and Joshua, we’re still very tight to the cap and will require some movement in order to balance the club’s depth.

Most likely we will move out both Mikheyev and Hronek in the summer.  We might have to add a sweetener to move Mikheyev, so I can see a guy like Hoglander as part of that trade.  We need to get bigger up front, so moving out Hoglander makes sense.  With Hronek, I would look at trying to get a power forward in return.  Utah could be a team we deal with.  I like both Lawson Crouse and Jack McBain.  Crouse for Hronek straight up I would do in a heartbeat, I would even add a prospect to that deal.  Or McBain and some draft picks for Hronek works too.  Then you add one of those picks with Mikheyev and trade him to Chicago or San Jose.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most likely we will move out both Mikheyev and Hronek in the summer.  We might have to add a sweetener to move Mikheyev, so I can see a guy like Hoglander as part of that trade.  We need to get bigger up front, so moving out Hoglander makes sense.  With Hronek, I would look at trying to get a power forward in return.  Utah could be a team we deal with.  I like both Lawson Crouse and Jack McBain.  Crouse for Hronek straight up I would do in a heartbeat, I would even add a prospect to that deal.  Or McBain and some draft picks for Hronek works too.  Then you add one of those picks with Mikheyev and trade him to Chicago or San Jose.

I hear ya. Maybe others aren’t looking too far into the future right now (fair enough) and our cap situation, but I have and it’s very tight and with just enough room to bring back whom we need to have a similar season to this one. It will take some movement and will also put some responsibility on some fresh faces from the system.
I just can’t see any other way, save for my estimates for extensions coming in more conservatively - which could very well happen - but I’m looking at the high end on purpose because two of our important players are UFA and making case for serious raises right now in Lindy and Zad.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I hear ya. Maybe others aren’t looking too far into the future right now (fair enough) and our cap situation, but I have and it’s very tight and with just enough room to bring back whom we need to have a similar season to this one. It will take some movement and will also put some responsibility on some fresh faces from the system.
I just can’t see any other way, save for my estimates for extensions coming in more conservatively - which could very well happen - but I’m looking at the high end on purpose because two of our important players are UFA and making case for serious raises right now in Lindy and Zad.

I want both Zadorov and Lindholm back.  These are the guys you win cups with.  That is why they were targeted in trades during the season.  Allvin knows the deal.  He won't let these guys go.  He brought in Hronek too and even made him an offer to stay, but I think given what Lindholm and Zadorov have shown in the playoffs, Allvin will certainly explore a Hronek trade to clear cap and to try and bring in a power forward for Petey...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

It’s minimal yes, but if he replaces a Lafferty it’s about 200K but if it’s a Blueger (who also plays W) it’s about 900K saved. Like I said every dollar counts, especially when we’re trying to extend 3 key players.

and we have no choice but to trade out Mikheyev. He’s become prohibitive with his cap hit to us affording a complete team again. Imho he’s a prime candidate to be traded out even at a loss if need be, because that loss is negated if it enables us to resign a key piece.

Mikeyev will score the Stanley Cup winning goal in OT of Game 7, thus both raising his trade value while simultaneously elevating himself to god-like status in Vancouver.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I don't think there is any cap crunch for the Vancouver Canucks. I've seen enough from GMPA that one of two scenarios is going to happen: a) we win the Stanley Cup this year in which case who cares, or b) he's going to demonstrate to every GM in the league that he has been playing 4-D chess all along while everyone else is playing checkers. GCG!

44 minutes ago, bhoodlum said:

I don't think there is any cap crunch for the Vancouver Canucks. I've seen enough from GMPA that one of two scenarios is going to happen: a) we win the Stanley Cup this year in which case who cares, or b) he's going to demonstrate to every GM in the league that he has been playing 4-D chess all along while everyone else is playing checkers. GCG!

Haha i’ll tell you who cares…mgmt.

They don’t want one cup, they want a dynasty. Everything about their pedigree says so. Bodes well for us as fans.

11 hours ago, JamesB said:

It would not surprise me if both Lekker and Pettersson get some NHL games next season. Lekker obviously has high-end offensive skills.

D-Petey is different. He has not been a "star" as any level but he has the kind of game that should work in the NHL. He is big, strong, tough, a good skater, and reliable defensively.

I expect Zadorov to be too expensive for the Canucks to re-sign (although it would be great if he would re-sign on a team-friendly dea).  D-Petey is a guy who can supply some of the same skills.

Of course he might struggle at the NHL level, but I think he was a great pick.

Man do I ever hope you are wrong on this one amigo...

He has been the best thing since sliced bread to the Canucks D-core...

You may very well be right, as we have a lot of players, who are putting themselves into the shop windows... Zad, Lindholm, Joshua and even the Giraffe...

Expect a few years for D-Peteys entry into the NHL...

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, RWJC said:

it’s really good to see guys like Karlsson stepping in now in high pressure and performing. That bodes well for next season if we have to cut a few bodies to make cap. Every $ counts 

Agreed. To be successful a team needs to have players coming up from within. Then they can move current players to keep building and still be successful. Pretty hard thing to do though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Man do I ever hope you are wrong on this one amigo...

He has been the best thing since sliced bread to the Canucks D-core...

You may very well be right, as we have a lot of players, who are putting themselves into the shop windows... Zad, Lindholm, Joshua and even the Giraffe...

Expect a few years for D-Peteys entry into the NHL...

Agreed. It is great to have the toughest, meanest guy on the ice on  your team for pretty much every game. And Joshua is no slouch either. So with Zad and Joshua the Canucks have an impressive 1-2 punch (literally) in terms of team toughness. And they are both good players. In today's NHL you can't afford goons. Your tough guys need to be able to play.

The trouble is that all the things we love about Zad are things that GMs of other teams will also love. And he is getting a lot of visibility in the playoffs. It is like he raises his likely cap hit every game. Joshua has also been good, but has been (a bit) less visible.

I think the only chance of re-signing either guy is if they really like the city, the team, the management, or something else about being here and are willing to sign for less than they could get in the open market.

But JR and PA have shown the ability to identify high value - low cost players. Given the cap situation, they will have to rely on that strength this off-season again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

But JR and PA have shown the ability to identify high value - low cost players. Given the cap situation, they will have to rely on that strength this off-season again.

This is the key. They identified cheaper guys like Suter, Bluger, and Cole before. And they made some good bets on players with low acquisition costs, like Zadorov and DeSmith. 

Some good players are going to have to be let go. Let's just hope that the next wave of cheaper talent is as good...if not better!

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This is the key. They identified cheaper guys like Suter, Bluger, and Cole before. And they made some good bets on players with low acquisition costs, like Zadorov and DeSmith. 

Some good players are going to have to be let go. Let's just hope that the next wave of cheaper talent is as good...if not better!

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Agreed. It is great to have the toughest, meanest guy on the ice on  your team for pretty much every game. And Joshua is no slouch either. So with Zad and Joshua the Canucks have an impressive 1-2 punch (literally) in terms of team toughness. And they are both good players. In today's NHL you can't afford goons. Your tough guys need to be able to play.

The trouble is that all the things we love about Zad are things that GMs of other teams will also love. And he is getting a lot of visibility in the playoffs. It is like he raises his likely cap hit every game. Joshua has also been good, but has been (a bit) less visible.

I think the only chance of re-signing either guy is if they really like the city, the team, the management, or something else about being here and are willing to sign for less than they could get in the open market.

counter point:  perhaps Zadorov’s camp also realizes that he may have found the best fit of his entire career with this club and that being here has potentially elevated him into finally being recognized as a top 4 guy rather than 5/6 pairing on the teams he has already played for throughout his career. We shall see, but it appears he loves the limelight that this market has adorned on him and thrives in it. He has become a major role player for this club and probably feels truly appreciated for the first time in his career. I think it’s a great opportunity for him to cash in, but it can also be an even better opportunity to get a decent raise while being a core piece in multiple Stanley Cup runs with this franchise going forward. 

am I being hopeful? Hell yeah I am.

but it’s not outside the realm of possibility that he also believes he’s found a “home” here with this club in having the trust of the coaching staff, and the rapport with his teammates and those of the fans. He has become a cult hero now of sorts.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Absolutely true James...

Especially the ability of JR/PA to find gem stones, has been impressive...

I see Zad maybe accepting a long term contract, as he really seems to like it in Vancouver... Joshua I'm not sure about, as I think he will be offered a better deal elsewhere...

Thing is next season is fine, but after that we feel the OEL pain and Boeser needs paid too...

• Cheers 1