Brock Boeser as a Person and a Player

56 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

That very wise man John Garrett is on record in the last week saying Brock Boeser is becoming a candidate for the Conn Smythe based on his performance to date.

And while it is definitely premature to make any predictions midway through the 2nd round, Brock is definitely on the horizon.

A year ago, everyone was talking about how best to unload Brock... maybe even a salary dump with retention.

This year turned everything around... 40 goals, great playoffs so far.

I think there are concrete factors weighing on why BB's wasn't meeting expectations in the years prior to 2023/2024... which some maybe overlook or underestimate.

Everyone knows Brock is an exceptional human being as a person... he is a genuinely nice guy.  We all know the story of how he took a disabled girl to the prom... someone he'd never met and had no obligation to.  That tells you about his sensitivity and compassion.  There are other stories.  Brock always seems to have a smile on his face, never complains, always the quiet team player.

That sensitivity goes a long way in explaining why his performance dropped off in the couple years prior to 23/24.

We know his father was suffering through a long series of devastating illnesses... and Brock had to witness the effects 1st hand.

As someone who lost my mother to a longterm fatal illness a few years back, I can tell you the effects of watching a loved one gradually deteriorate and fade is an incredibly difficult one.  It takes a huge toll on one both mentally and physically... in one's positive outlook and in one's energy level.  I have no doubt Brock was suffering hugely... and it was impossible for it not to affect his gameplay.  If you watch the twitter feed where he talks about it, you see the agony on his face.

Duke is finally at rest, and almost two years later Brock has been able to come to terms with his emotional loss... and become the player he was always destined to be.  I don't think he has forgotten his father... you can see that when he looks up at the sky after a big goal or play, but he has accepted and understood.

He is still the quiet guy, who doesn't blow his own horn and who always puts the team first, but he has become a real force for the team.

Everything about his play has improved, his vision, his shooting, his playmaking... he has had a huge part in JT Miller's exceptional season.  And its not just on the puck... defensively he has also made huge strides... his defensive anticipation has become one of the best on the team... he has made huge plays during this playoff to break up scoring chances, block shots, and be physical on the puck carrier.

I am so happy to see this turnaround... because if anyone does, Brock deserves to have fun and succeed in the game.

Brock is of course, an American, born in Minnesota...  but from a Canadian, BC born, I would stay, and I think everyone would agree, Brock has become an honorary Vancouverite...  after all Minnesotans are as close to Canadians as you can get, they have the climate, they have hockey in their blood, and they have the same hard working character as the best Canadians have.

Thanks Brock, for making Vancouver your home away from home... here's hoping for more success.  👏

Feel good post. Love it 🥲

• Like 1

Duke was looking down on Brock this year..you could tell he was refreshed and was ready to go after the past few years of turmoil both physically and mentally dealing with his father's health issues.I for one was happy to see him not only pass the 30 goal mark that media deemed he would never break but shatter it.Having a sick parent especially one when your far from home is difficult at the best of times and sometimes we forget these players are people with everyday issues just like ourselves and that they are not God's ( Mitch Marner's ego says differently )

• Cheers 2

The criticism Brock received was more than fair.  I didnt think he was doing enough w/o the puck. Mgmt and Tocchet challenged him as well. To his credit he stepped up big time.  

I wonder what he’s thinking going forward.  He’s made a ton of money despite some previous lacklustre results.  If he works w the team to stick around I would love it.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, AngryGoose said:

The criticism Brock received was more than fair.  I didnt think he was doing enough w/o the puck. Mgmt and Tocchet challenged him as well. To his credit he stepped up big time.  

I wonder what he’s thinking going forward.  He’s made a ton of money despite some previous lacklustre results.  If he works w the team to stick around I would love it.  

He was grossly underpaid this year.  Other years he made the NHL standard for his production.

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure everyone is dealing with someone who's ill or has passed if they are past a certain age.    Brock's story makes it hockey more  human.   This clip is just another example of how bad our media is.   We shouldn't pay too much attention to it.   And definitely stop giving it gas.    What's the point?  

As for Brock, well you get paid what your perceived or real worth is in this game.    One of the tragedy's of salary disclosure is just this, and that goes back to the early 90's .    If nobody knew his deal we'd of all been behind him right?   Kind of a stupid industry the way it's set up in shaming everyone who's not "making cap" but it does also follow an age old formula.   And it does work. 

These guys make a lot of money.   Money money money  money.   I'd of absolutely, been distracted, if I was Brock and one of my parents were dying.  I'm also certain it affected everyone in the dressing room because they all had their Dad's still.  

Maybe we should be less inclined to pass judgement on these guys.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1