[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

Tocc seemed pretty confident line changes were coming, except in regards to keep Juulsen in, despite praising his game tonight. Light praise, but praise all the same. Will be interesting to see who potentially comes out.

Just now, brownky said:

Hah. Writing helps me dispel some anger and disappointment. I've written a LOT of words in the last decade.

Some of them were even for university. So in a way, I can thank Jim Benning in some way for my degree.

Same here bro. 😄

• Cheers 1

As much as I hate to say it this is a tale of two different teams. The Canucks are clearly still learning and facing a team that is desperate to win as they are running out of time to win within their window competitively. Its a best of three and I would rather go with who we have in net than who they have to choose from. Have a little faith Canuck fans and enjoy this ride and BELIEVE!

• Like 3

Just now, 24K said:

Funny thing is he was also pretty bad for that 3/4 of the season outside of maybe January.

Funny how that translates to just 89 pts. 

He needs to be a difference maker when the team is not winning now, no doubt.  But he wasn't invisible all yr.  That's just confirmation bias. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, brownky said:

Hah. Writing helps me dispel some anger and disappointment. I've written a LOT of words in the last decade.

Some of them were even for university. So in a way, I can thank Jim Benning in some way for my degree.

LOL, 

Congratulations on your degree btw! 

I feel ya…

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

I don't see it that way. Shots from non high danger areas is not dominating. 

Silovs isn't stealing games like VGK series in the bubble Demko games.  The team D is holding them in. Tocchet already said it publicly he doesn't apologize for the way they play. They don't intend to track meet with Oils.  It is by design.  Not unlike the Preds series and Nux prevailed.  That's the way they intend to play.  And they might just pull it off this round again.   

Letting the other guy pummel you endlessly is a terrible strategy to win a fight.  High danger or not, you have to shoot to get goals and you have to have the puck to shoot.  The oilers have had the puck almost the entire series

Pete signing looking like alvins biggest mistake rn, signed him during his huge slump too, would've traded him or waited.

imagine pete trying to ask for anything more than miller after these playoffs, he'd be laughed out of the room. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly wonder how people can watch the last three games and say anything other than the Canucks gave been completely dominated and are only tied thanks to arty.

I mean, cmon, they're averaging slightly over 6 shots a period and that's only because they pour it in for 3-4 mins once a game.  They probably had as many, or more, shots in that 8 mins than they had all game.

One player is the reason this series isn't over. 

Canucks have it in them to play better.

Oilers have "dominated" them while playing McD/Draisaitl together for 1/2 the game in most the games, of course the Canucks are on their toes defending against those 2, and they did a good job keeping them to the outside despite them controlling play all things considered 

Tonight they didn't have to face that challenge, instead the Canucks just didn't compete at the necessary level. If they competed tonight like they did in game 1 they are up 3-1 right now. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

What an anti climax to the game.... 

But we are more than able to compete... Just not enough to do it at the end of the game...

Hopefully take the next at home...

Silovs played well again...

But there are a few players that need to take a long hard look at themselves, and its not the Miller or Lindholm line...

Give Petey some flipping linemates... instead of a black hole, who skates like the wind, but doesn't hit and barely defend....

Headscratcher why Tocc put Lafferty with Petey. Pettersson's best shifts were when he was reunited with Karlsson in the 3rd

LK had a heck of a game

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Tocc seemed pretty confident line changes were coming, except in regards to keep Juulsen in, despite praising his game tonight. Light praise, but praise all the same. Will be interesting to see who potentially comes out.

Coach not going to hang a rookie for his mistake. Sign of a good leader.  

I trust him to get the team ready for game 5. The JB adage is true now.

We live day to day. 

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I don't see it that way. Shots from non high danger areas is not dominating. 

Silovs isn't stealing games like VGK series in the bubble Demko games.  The team D is holding them in. Tocchet already said it publicly he doesn't apologize for the way they play. They don't intend to track meet with Oils.  It is by design.  Not unlike the Preds series and Nux prevailed.  That's the way they intend to play.  And they might just pull it off this round again.   

tocchet clearly said the strategy is to spend more time in the ozone so we dont have to defend as much

so whatever the hell has happened the past couple games is definitely not the tocchet strategy

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Funny how that translates to just 89 pts. 

He needs to be a difference maker when the team is not winning now, no doubt.  But he wasn't invisible all yr.  That's just confirmation bias. 

No, just comparing to how he played last season this season has been very disappointing. I have been down on Petey the whole season even prior to the playoffs. I thought it was all in his head with his contract distracting him the whole time but that clearly wasn't it and somehow it got worse.

He is still getting points but was not dominant as he was in years past.

10 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Toch is so bang on,, too many god damn passengers lately. Half a dozen guys HAVE got to get going.

he made it seem like Mik is getting taken out of the lineup imo

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I Think Tock-it is starting to realize what many others have commented on, that Petty might just be another "Soft, Fairweather, Regular-season, Swedish Finesse player and useless when the going gets tough in the playoffs because he's getting pretty fed-up with him more & more.   

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tock-it make a phone call to JR/PA after the season and ask them to unload him because they could get a lot trading him to some American Franchise where all they care about is regular season Pizzaz and selling jerseys.   

Edited by RU SERIOUS

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Toch is so bang on,, too many god damn passengers lately. Half a dozen guys HAVE got to get going.

he made it seem like Mik is getting taken out of the lineup imo

Mik definitely should. I want Leki in there. We need a pure goal scorer and start burying the few chances Petey actually manage to generate instead of dying on Mik's stick. Not like Leki would be facing a nhl caliber goalie anyways.

We need to get rid of him this offseason even if through a buyout.

Edited by 24K
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Canucks have it in them to play better.

Oilers have "dominated" them while playing McD/Draisaitl together for 1/2 the game in most the games, of course the Canucks are on their toes defending against those 2, and they did a good job keeping them to the outside despite them controlling play all things considered 

Tonight they didn't have to face that challenge, instead the Canucks just didn't compete at the necessary level. If they competed tonight like they did in game 1 they are up 3-1 right now. 

They still really only showed up for one period in game one.  Since then, it's been the occasional good shift or a small string if good shifts where they make hay.  The rest is all Oilers.  I'm not sure how a person could see it any other way

I get the high danger chance thing, and I'm always one to say keep to opposition to the perimeter, but you have to get the puck once in awhile and you have to be able to counter attack as well.

3-4 shots a period is ridiculous

Petey is basically playing third line center with plugs. Wingers that might actually belong on a 4th line. That and a struggling PP. isn’t a strong recipe for offence. Meanwhile Lindholm is playing with 2 stud wingers. I think it’s time to put Pete on the wing with real line mates 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

Then maybe they should actually try and get him going instead of playing with Aman, Lafferyy and Mikheyev. Here Petey we’ve see you sucked for a couple months but we don’t wanna change things so take a shift with Aman 

Deep down i always thought he was too small and weak and just seeing how often he ends up on his butt just reaffirms those suspicions. Not all first round draft picks work out. I truly hope im wrong, only time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Canuck-Man said:

I had this idea too, but more like this:

Line 1: Boeser - Miller -  Pettersson
Line 2: Joshua - Lindholm - Garland
Line 3: Suter - Blueger - Mikheyev
Line 4: Hoglander - Karlsson - Aman

Pettersson needs to play with top players, similar to how Draisaitl + McDavid together generates such dangerous offense, we need the lotto line back.

And let's be real, at this point, Joshua/Lindholm/Garland is our 2nd line with how they've been playing.

I hear what youre saying.  Problem is Miller’s line is playing very demanding mins and is Petey good for that challenge?  

And I do believe even Miller/Boeser could use some speed/someone to help dig for the puck on their line.  Miller is great when doesnt have to be going 100% all the time.

Wild idea, but hear me out:

Bleugs Miller Boeser

Josh Lindy Garland

Hoagie Petey Podz

Aman Suter Lafferty

or

Bleugs Miller Boeser

Josh Lindy Garland

Suter Petey Hoagie

Podz Aman Lafferty

That 4th line could get shredded but if Aman can play solid 4th line C mins I wonder…

Bleugs/Miller can switch off on C depending on the flow of play etc.  Maybe capture something he had w Garland/Joshua for this series at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

tocchet clearly said the strategy is to spend more time in the ozone so we dont have to defend as much

so whatever the hell has happened the past couple games is definitely not the tocchet strategy

Execution vs strategy. 

Not hanging on to pucks more, winning puck battles along the boards, faceoffs. Despite some problems, still 1-1 last two and could've won tonight if they took it to OT. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Headscratcher why Tocc put Lafferty with Petey. Pettersson's best shifts were when he was reunited with Karlsson in the 3rd

LK had a heck of a game

LK had a good game, but is that the best RT  can do for Petey?  An AHL black ace,?

• Cheers 3

When the team get's home and next practices, they really need to work on their set plays. I realize the Oilers were stifling tonight but we got off the plan.

They cashed in. Also; Our foot speed wasn't good enough. Yup; Work still needed..

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron said:

Petey is basically playing third line center with plugs. Wingers that might actually belong on a 4th line. That and a struggling PP. isn’t a strong recipe for offence. Meanwhile Lindholm is playing with 2 stud wingers. I think it’s time to put Pete on the wing with real line mates 

Let Lindholm play the defensive matchup with Suter and Blueger all on a line together. Get Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Hoglander, Garland and Joshua in the top 6. Miller shouldn't be playing the defensive matchup, we need him offensively.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1