[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Couldn't agree more. All this POs is doing is driving Hronek's value down; we still need to resign him, and hopefully at a lower cap. I think people lose sight how much him and QH have been tasked to skate with McDs stacked line.

Having 4 competent centers gives u the opportunity to do as you are suggesting, and Petey needs to be given this opportunity. I appreciate Mik's skating and speed, but the guy has hands of stone and is invisible in the physical dept. He isnt a liability, and should have to work himself off the 4th at this point. The following lineup gives us the best chance to compete in my opinion:

Suter-Miller-Beoser

Petey-Lindholm-Podz

Dakota-Blueger-Garland

Laff-Aman-Mik

Hughes-Hronek

Zad-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

Again, it doesn't matter if you're just going to sit back and let the other team do what they want.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

and the game plan of curling up and protecting your vital organs while the other guy kicks you repeatedly is not a good one.

That was an actual technique my younger brother would do in a fight.

" I get kicked a few times, and then the guy gets tired/bored and goes away"

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

What good will that be when the style  they're playing is to let the Oilers have the puck for 75% of the game?  There are many better forecheckers on the team than Podz and they're doing nothing, so why would podz make a difference?

Actually thought Podz was an excellent fore and back checker in his time up. He just couldn't finish is all. His physical play is the advantage over Mik, whos speed isn't making the diff right now on that line.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

It might work out well for Van if they can keep him at a much more reasonable price.  

Man I hate that I'm agreeing with you so much this morning, but yes, the best thing that could come out of this right now is that his price drops because of his playoff performance.  We re-sign him in a long term deal, and then he hits his ceiling in the coming few years as he reaches his prime thereby giving us positive value on his cap hit.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

This team had two highly skilled, high scoring players who could change a game with their skill.  One went from 39 goals to what, 8 in a half season and was run out of town because he didn't thrive in a grinding defensive system?

The other is, possibly, the most highly skilled individual player the org has ever had and whose offense has disappeared in this grinding, defensive system.  

At what point is it a coach's responsibility to adjust his own system  to let a player like Petey and Kuz do what they do best?  

Or for management to trade off the guys the coach misuses, and get guys that fit with the coach's style?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Lost the room? No.

He’s trying to state the obvious fact that winning in the playoffs let alone a cup is really fuckin hard and takes a tremendous amount of sacrifice and mental fortitude from each and every player every single game. The vibe I’m getting from some of these players is that they appear tired and struggling to bring it consistently when having to play every other night. Well guess what? It’s the goddamn playoffs and you only get so many opportunities in your career to try and win a cup. If some of these so called passengers don’t show any signs of improvement the next two games than the writing is on the wall for them if they lose this series. 

thank god we have a management group who aren’t afraid to make trades and tough decisions 

This group as a whole can play better, much better. Trades can't happen now, so what we got, we got. I know they can play better. We have a better, all, round team

then the Oilers. I refuse to agree with this notion that the Oilers are driven by just two players, no matter how good their individual stats are.

We have the more well rounded team. The first two the thirds of the our season were astonishing. Now it's not coming as easy as it had. 

Our management group may well be top three in the NHL, but in the playoffs, It's Tocchet's baby.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yep, at a certain point, the coach needs to realize we need to be able to create offence, and not just on a transition.  A strong offence with forechecking can easily eat up 2 to 3min.  That's 2 to 3min NOT in our end of the ice.

And causes the meh Edm defense to start to cough up pucks. Their D moved the puck with ease last night, and dictated the play. Seemed the nux were almost hesitant to hit and take penalty.

imo regarding Petey it’s pretty simple: regular season v playoff hockey & his maturation as an athlete.  He’s learning some tough lessons on where his deficiencies are.  Are his wingers helping?  No, but it’s pretty clear Petey is having difficulty adjusting to how physical and tight playoff hockey is.  He’s not a finished product.  That’s ok.

Boeser went through something similar.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yep, at a certain point, the coach needs to realize we need to be able to create offence, and not just on a transition.  A strong offence with forechecking can easily eat up 2 to 3min.  That's 2 to 3min NOT in our end of the ice.

Now, if it were only that simple.  As pointed out by someone earlier, it's the oilers pp that is dominating this series, but not in the way most people think.

Sure, it's doing what it does when activated, but the possibility of it is having a bigger effect than the actual pp itself.  The Canucks are playing passively because they know they can't take penalties and to be aggressive in their own end means taking penalties and putting the oilers pp on the ice.  By being disciplined and passive, they are giving the oilers carte blanche to do whatever they want for most of the game.

Do you choose a quick death at the hands of the actual pp or death by a thousand cuts at this spectre of the oilers pp?

It's an impossible choice, imo, and RT has not done a single thing to change that narrative

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

And causes the meh Edm defense to start to cough up pucks. Their D moved the puck with ease last night, and dictated the play. Seemed the nux were almost hesitant to hit and take penalty.

Yeah, their break outs were WAY too easy.  We basically just gave them our blueline too.  All in all, last night may have been the Canucks worst game of the playoffs so far.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Man I hate that I'm agreeing with you so much this morning, but yes, the best thing that could come out of this right now is that his price drops because of his playoff performance.  We re-sign him in a long term deal, and then he hits his ceiling in the coming few years as he reaches his prime thereby giving us positive value on his cap hit.

No excuse, but I think some of our guys are simply getting tired. They played their asses off all year, and some had to chomp huge minutes to cover key injuries. IF the team is able to hold onto our current core, I'd hope we can play a tad more balanced next year with our now exp depth.

Just now, stawns said:

Now, if it were only that simple.  As pointed out by someone earlier, it's the oilers pp that is dominating this series, but not in the way most people think.

Sure, it's doing what it does when activated, but the possibility of it is having a bigger effect than the actual pp itself.  The Canucks are playing passively because they know they can't take penalties and to be aggressive in their own end and put the oilers pp on the ice.  In doing so, they are giving the oilers carte blanche to do whatever they want for most of the game.

Do you choose a quick death at the hands of the actual pp or death by a thousand cuts at this spectre of the oilers pp?

It's an impossible choice, imo, and RT has not done a single thing to change that narrative

That's the thing though.  If we play a stronger offensive game, we wouldn't need to be deciding on the ice about playing physical or not in our end and worrying about taking penalties. 

Being hemmed in our own end generally causes 1 of the following:

1.  A goal against (or at least multiple chances for a goal against).

2. Injuries from blocking shots and bracing hits against.

3. Penalties due to fatigue and chasing the play.

We need to dictate the offence and play at the other end of the ice.  It's brutal watching the Oilers just walk over our blueline uncontested.

• Cheers 2

No excuse, but I think some of our guys are simply getting tired. They played their asses off all year, and some had to chomp huge minutes to cover key injuries. IF the team is able to hold onto our current core, I'd hope we can play a tad more balanced next year with our now exp depth.

I can't buy that excuse when the Oilers are the ones that had to climb out of the basement of the league.  We really shouldn't be any more tired than the Oilers are.

37 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Boston coach calls out Pastranak, Pasta scores OT round 1 clinching goal

Tocchet calls out Petey.....

Pastrnak plays on the Bruins top line with the best top six players the team has.

Not on the 3rd line with 4th line wingers.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sure, it's doing what it does when activated, but the possibility of it is having a bigger effect than the actual pp itself.  The Canucks are playing passively because they know they can't take penalties and to be aggressive in their own end means taking penalties and putting the oilers pp on the ice.  By being disciplined and passive, they are giving the oilers carte blanche to do whatever they want for most of the game.

Agree 100%, but RT has done something; chosen the thousand cuts and lean on his team's defensive structure. What we need is for those "Passengers" to start working their asses off on the forecheck to generate more chances when playing like this. This team has fight....we just need all 20 guys fighting nightly to have a chance.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, their break outs were WAY too easy.  We basically just gave them our blueline too.  All in all, last night may have been the Canucks worst game of the playoffs so far.

Based on the Discipline form game 3, our core guys (that work their asses off) were scared to finish hits bc of risk of penalties. My guess is they were put on notice by league; look no further than Zad. Having said that, it didn't stop Kane from being his Douche self and running around with intent to injure every shift.

Edited by BC_Hawk

Just now, -Buzzsaw- said:

Pastrnak plays on the Bruins top line with the best top six players the team has.

Not on the 3rd line with 4th line wingers.

Ima say it. If Kuzzy wasn’t playing the right way, what in the actual hell are Petey wingers doing… they don’t with board battles they don’t hustle for pucks. They don’t back check hard, they don’t pass the puck to Petey in the O zone and they stand around in the D zone.. As a Center Petey as so many responsibilities in the D zone and defensively when in the O zone that he needs wingers that look like they’re trying….

• Upvote 1

That's the thing though.  If we play a stronger offensive game, we wouldn't need to be deciding on the ice about playing physical or not in our end and worrying about taking penalties. 

Being hemmed in our own end generally causes 1 of the following:

1.  A goal against (or at least multiple chances for a goal against).

2. Injuries from blocking shots and bracing hits against.

3. Penalties due to fatigue and chasing the play.

We need to dictate the offence and play at the other end of the ice.  It's brutal watching the Oilers just walk over our blueline uncontested.

The problem is, as I see it, you need to have the puck to play offense and to do that, you either play aggressive and force turnovers or you play passive defense and wait for the other team to make a mistake and turn the puck over.

But, the Oilers don't make many mistakes on offense and they almost never turn the puck over, so Van never gets the puck and never gets to go on offense.  

RT doesn't coach skill very well, but he doesn't seem to be coaching against it very well either, imo

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Agree 100%, but RT has done something; chosen the thousand cuts and lean on his team's defensive structure. What we need is for those "Passengers" to start working their asses off on the forecheck to generate more chances when playing like this. This team has fight....we just need all 20 guys fighting nightly to have a chance.

Back check?  They only get out of their zone a couple times a period.  

At the start of the series, I was all about keeping the pp off the ice, but this way almost seems worse because they get almost no chance at creating offense.

Against my original thought, it's time to be aggressive defensively and let the chips fall where they may.  It can't be any worse