[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

25 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Couldn't agree more. All this POs is doing is driving Hronek's value down; we still need to resign him, and hopefully at a lower cap. I think people lose sight how much him and QH have been tasked to skate with McDs stacked line.

Having 4 competent centers gives u the opportunity to do as you are suggesting, and Petey needs to be given this opportunity. I appreciate Mik's skating and speed, but the guy has hands of stone and is invisible in the physical dept. He isnt a liability, and should have to work himself off the 4th at this point. The following lineup gives us the best chance to compete in my opinion:

Suter-Miller-Beoser

Petey-Lindholm-Podz

Dakota-Blueger-Garland

Laff-Aman-Mik

Hughes-Hronek

Zad-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

And Hogz in place of Laff..

7 minutes ago, Psb_08 said:

Is this league reviewing Kane cross checking Myer's face at all ?

Ofcourse not. They can do whatever they want while we are on notice. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Myers and Zadorov are not superstars so no it’s A OK apparently 

Should have been 5 and a game at the very least,,if they at least called that correctly the last goal Kane played a pivotal role in (big hit) likely does not happen. 

Edited by Psb_08
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek was not smart to turn down 6.5x8

That number is looking more than fair now, but I think I'd rather give Lindholm 52M than Hronek. (7.5x7)

More like still over paid. Hronek, he'll be lucky to even get resigned. 

Linholm is lookin good

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek was not smart to turn down 6.5x8

That number is looking more than fair now, but I think I'd rather give Lindholm 52M than Hronek. (7.5x7)

Our best course of action is to trade Hronek for a legit scoring winger for Petey. Doesn't have to be a long term contracted player as Leki is waiting in the wings. 

Use that money to resign one or two of Zadorov/Lindholm/Joshua and a ufa stay at hime d man to play with Hughes. 

We have Willander coming in to take #2 stop in a year or two so we really only need a stop gag so signing Hronek to 6 or 7 year for what he wants is not the wisest use of cap. 

Edited by 24K

28 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Actually thought Podz was an excellent fore and back checker in his time up. He just couldn't finish is all. His physical play is the advantage over Mik, whos speed isn't making the diff right now on that line.

My point was that it doesn't really matter because they are conceding 75% of the game to the oilers having the puck 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Based on the Discipline form game 3, our core guys (that work their asses off) were scared to finish hits bc of risk of penalties. My guess is they were put on notice by league; look no further than Zad. Having said that, it didn't stop Kane from being his Douche self and running around with intent to injure every shift.

We won't win this series if we're afraid to engage physically... the playoffs are built on physicality. 

• Vintage 1

The biggest issue last night wasn't individual players - though many had off nights including Miller - but rather the how soft they played all night long.

The Oilers raised their battle level, and the Canucks dropped theres. Life was extremely easy for Edmonton along the walls, getting to loose pucks, exc. The Canucks played like it was a regular season game.

I know it's a fine line when the league makes it clear the Oilers stars are on a different standard, but you still gotta compete. Hits often lead to turnovers & life was far too easy for them.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I can't buy that excuse when the Oilers are the ones that had to climb out of the basement of the league.  We really shouldn't be any more tired than the Oilers are.

Not an excuse, just reality, and we are witnessing it with Cole and others. Having said that, they are learning what is expected of a playoff team. Like edm or not, their top 7/9 guys deserve a ton of credit for continuing to find that next gear. They are seasoned now, having played ALOT of PO hockey the last 4 or so years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

The problem is, as I see it, you need to have the puck to play offense and to do that, you either play aggressive and force turnovers or you play passive defense and wait for the other team to make a mistake and turn the puck over.

But, the Oilers don't make many mistakes on offense and they almost never turn the puck over, so Van never gets the puck and never gets to go on offense.  

RT doesn't coach skill very well, but he doesn't seem to be coaching against it very well either, imo

Last night was particularly bad.  I think the numbers were something like the Canucks only winning 32% of the puck battles.  That's a combination of the Oilers playing for their lives, but also the Canucks not playing with the level of intensity they needed. If the battles are 50%, the game may have looked a lot different.

• Cheers 1

You know what?

I am going to shut up and watch the games.

Let the chips fall where they may.

And after, after the smoke clears, we'll see what happened.

Tocchet's the coach... its his decisions where to place the players on the team and how to best use them.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

The problem is, as I see it, you need to have the puck to play offense and to do that, you either play aggressive and force turnovers or you play passive defense and wait for the other team to make a mistake and turn the puck over.

But, the Oilers don't make many mistakes on offense and they almost never turn the puck over, so Van never gets the puck and never gets to go on offense.  

RT doesn't coach skill very well, but he doesn't seem to be coaching against it very well either, imo

Problem here you identified; we can play defensive hockey, but we cant play passive hockey. We played both last night and it bit us in the ass. That 3rd period in game 3 was defensive hockey with bite...and we won.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Not an excuse, just reality, and we are witnessing it with Cole and others. Having said that, they are learning what is expected of a playoff team. Like edm or not, their top 7/9 guys deserve a ton of credit for continuing to find that next gear. They are seasoned now, having played ALOT of PO hockey the last 4 or so years.

Yup, that is very true.  This Oilers team has gone to battle many times already.  We gotta remember this is the 1st crack at it for the Canucks.  They're doing extremely well considering.  Can't wait to see what they can accomplish with a couple years of experience and development, and when our young guns are pushing up from the bottom to fill out our roster (Willander, Lekkerimaki, DPetey, Raty, etc).  The Dallas Stars are the model I hope we follow.  That team looks incredible.

• Like 1

Just now, -Buzzsaw- said:

You know what?

I am going to shut up and watch the games.

Let the chips fall where they may.

And after, after the smoke clears, we'll see what happened.

Tocchet's the coach... its his decisions where to place the players on the team and how to best use them.

Yeah, just enjoying it myself. 

So many good moments already and it's only second round.  Rollercoaster ride for sure.   

Not sure why people are talking about contracts now.  It's playoffs.  Leave that for the off season. 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

My point was that it doesn't really matter because they are conceding 75% of the game to the oilers having the puck 

Agree, but a strong forecheck breaks that up.

50 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Not sure if any team would want the guy, at this point.

RFA- and allegedly seeking a big raise.

Not at peak value, but perhaps some kind of return, and the cap space, would be enough?

More cap for Zads, Joshua and/or Lindholm?

Good point. Hronek is about Hronek only. Might be best to not look for a player in return and just move on from the player. 

• Cheers 1

This point is better suited for the off season (Canucks aint done yet) but this team is still growing.  I think this video captures some of that:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tied at two, still a good opportunity, but I wasn't impressed last night. 

We had shots but didn't look all that dangerous during the first couple periods, even the third was more of the same up until Garland scored. For most of the game it simply looked like the Oilers wanted it more, which is understandable considering they were facing the possibility of being down 3-1, but still. 

Special teams were a letdown but I thought the reffing was fine. Getting what.. one shot on a double minor? That was embarrassing. 

They had a chance to put the Oilers on the brink and played their most uninspired game this series. One could argue that they still almost came back, and this would be true, but the fact that they didn't show up offensively til the third period isn't a very strong indicator of this team having the necessary killer instinct. They should have been playing like they'd been shot out of a cannon. 

A max of three games to go and we'll see how it goes, but they may end up looking back and wishing they'd played last night better. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Agree, but a strong forecheck breaks that up.

They had a strong forecheck all year and kept pushing forward at the red line. I feel like, as good as Silovs has played, this conceding has to do with protecting him from too many high danger chaces. Wtih demko in net they don't sit back, we seen it all season. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1