[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

21 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Honestly that interview annoyed the hell out of me, dodging questions, barely taking accountability, acting annoyed to be there in the first place. He did nothing to regain the confident of the fan base. Thank god we didn’t give this kid the C. Love Petey but either you’re hurt or can’t hang when it gets tough and if you’re hurt you’ve been hurt since the all star break…

Don’t disagree with anything you are saying here.  Hoping these last 3+ months end up being the best thing that happened to him and makes him tougher.  
-GJ

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pycnotic said:

yea and if they brought their A level game they’d have swept the oilers, that’s the shocker is despite how poorly they have played most of this series they are tied 2-2 and yes we would have been thrilled at the beginning of the season, but they increased the expectations by how well they played this season. 

Yes they did, and thank god they did... this is a lot more fun, than hanging around the bottom of the league discussing draft picks and prospects. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Sounds like a player that can't play at 100% bc of some injury he is not able to disclose. Doesn't look broken at all

seriously doubt an injury

he looks weak on his skates, and overthinks with the puck, hes literally been in this exact same funk multiples times in his career here. this looks the same to me as those times. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

seriously doubt an injury

he looks weak on his skates, and overthinks with the puck, hes literally been in this exact same funk multiples times in his career here. this looks the same to me as those times. 

Do those other times correlate with injury too? My guess is yes. Great players like him just don't forget how to play night in and out. Do you recall how strong he was on his skates and playing to finish last year and start this year? 

1 hour ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Miks can pass, Lindholm can get in front of the net, and Petey can shoot / pass. They should try this at least for the beginning of the game and see how they do together.

And only Lindholm will battle for space. Put Podz on there line.

• Like 1

I'm not buying that Pette is injured one bit, He participates in every practice, Last Oil practice 5-6 of their key players sat out including Drai..EP40 prob would be working on his injury and resting. The guys just overwhelmed and is playing with zero confidence. Get him some good lime-mates.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

If that's the case, then it looks like several Canucks are playing with "injuries", except the guys that were actually assaulted with sticks to the face, like Hughes, Myers and Joshua. They keep showing up and playing hard. I don't buy the injury idea. Petey's been bad for months. Looking more and more like Kotkaniemi out there. 

I will be thrilled if Petey figures it out next game. They need him now more than ever, so we'll see how he responds.

What’s wrong with McWhiner Baby? Plying injured? 

Posted (edited)

Watching the interview, I can clearly see Pettersson is under the weather with some kind of bug.

Have to wonder if its more than just a flu... maybe some other virus.

Looks exhausted and really low on energy.

Edited by -Buzzsaw-
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

I like it but Mikhehev needs to be banished to the 4th line. Not even JT can help that guy 

He's good except for when he has to shoot. I think he should close his eyes and fire, who knows. But if you do move him then who do you move up? I want 4th liner gritty hogz

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, YourHuckleberry said:

There is a lot to unpack here but I will try. Correct me if I a mistaken, but as  I understand it, you think Tocchet does not let Petey:

1. play with linemates he can succeed with;

2. move from the face off dot on the PP.; and

3. prioritize offence.

With respect to Petey’s linemates, what linemates do you think he would succeed with and why? Petey plays on the PP with the most skilled players on the team, and he has not been producing. He plays with various quick skaters and muckers at 5v5 and that doesn’t work either. Why would playing with more skilled linemates help him at 5v5 when it doesn’t work 5v4? How much of his struggles with various players are on him and/or roster construction rather than the coach? Also, as the soon to be highest paid player on the team, is it not his responsibility to elevate those around him? Sedins made players like Carter and Burrows look like first line forwards. Crosby turned AHL plugs into goal scorers. Kucherov lead his team in scoring by an absurd number of points this year. Stars of the team have to find a way to be productive.

You suggest Petey only plays in one spot on the PP and then attribute this to coaching. However, Petey has also spent significant time on the PP this season in front of the net and the high slot/blue line. I agree with you that there has been a lack of movement on the PP recently, but I don’t think it’s fair to just attribute that to the coach without more evidence - it could just as easily be attributed to a lack of execution by the players. Tocchet has even said he wants Petey to move his feet, which is the opposite of standing still at the face off dot.

With respect to your concern about not letting Petey prioritize offence,  I think you need to provide some deeper analysis to prove Petey’s current struggles are Tocchet’s fault. The system hasn’t changed all year, and Petey put up points for most of it. While his point totals dipped, he ultimately still produced. Currently, he isn’t producing outside of a handful of secondary assists and a PP goal (scored from where?). Nashville defended well but the Oilers still have players regularly missing their assignment or getting beat, so there are opportunities to attack

the middle of the ice. When the Canucks match the Oilers’ intensity and start winning battles to maintain possession, it feels like they can score on demand (e.g. see last night). 

To me, Petey’s struggles seem to be mental rather than due to injury since he was called out and addressed the media. Is that caused by coaching, the tighter checking that followed the all-star break, or something else? I can’t say for sure but to me is seems that, whatever it is, there is more evidence that it’s on the player rather than the coach.

I didn't say he hasn't let him, I'm saying he hasn't made adjustments to best utilize the tools that petey has in his tool box.  For all the crowing people did about kuzmenko not adjusting his game to fit tocchets system, we have to remember that players are born and developed with certain skill sets and not others and it's a coach's job to know what those tools are and how best to use them for the betterment of the team.

Sure, we can ask kuz (for example) to be better defensively, but that's only going to be so effective because that's not who he is.  So, as a coach, you have to figure out how you're going to get the very best out of him, not how you're going to force him to play your system tye way other players (like miller) might.  That is, literally, his job.

Now, Petey isn't the same because he's already very defensively, but he's good in a very highly skilled kind of way.  He's great at knocking pucks out of the air, stealing pucks on the back check etc.  a lot of his offense is created by that defensive skill set. 

He's never going to be a grind em out defensive fwd (though he's trying hard to be) and asking him to be that way takes away his offense.  Tocchet has got tk be the one making the adjustments for skilled guys as much as those guys make adjustments to their game for his system.

The problem with RT is that he's a hammer and when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and that's not how you manage a roster and their diverse skill sets, imo.

BB was too far ond way RT is too far the other way..........he needs to find a happy medium or else they're going to take an $11.6m bath and have a disgruntled superstar in their hands that they can't get ridof

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I would play Lekkerimaki on Peteys wing. Seems like guys work well in duo’s and Petey doesn’t have a guy he clicks with like he did with Kuzmenko. 

Boeser-Miller

Joshua-Garland

Petey-? 

Lindholm makes that Joshua/Garland pair solid. And Suter is a good place holder on the Boeser/miller line. 
The chemistry on petey’s line is lacking. 

How much do you guys think having Silovs in net affects how the team plays?

Silovs has been great. Dont get me wrong.  But is the lack of aggression / forecheck we see due to the whole team trying to minimize high danger chances ?

When they fall behind like game 1 and yesterday we see a different side of the team where they will take risks and force the play.  When they force the play they really expose the oilers behind their blue line. When they have the lead or tied they are far more conservative.

I think this team plays differently with Demko back there.  Maybe im nuts...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Watching the interview, I can clearly see Pettersson is under the weather with some kind of bug.

Stop with the excuses. He can’t keep up with playoff hockey . Needs to work on his strength and his power skating . 

15 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

I'm not sure they would want him around the team if he had a virus or something catchy. He's probably not sleeping well.

1 minute ago, Darius said:

How much do you guys think having Silovs in net affects how the team plays?

Silovs has been great. Dont get me wrong.  But is the lack of aggression / forecheck we see due to the whole team trying to minimize high danger chances ?

When they fall behind like game 1 and yesterday we see a different side of the team where they will take risks and force the play.  When they force the play they really expose the oilers behind their blue line. When they have the lead or tied they are far more conservative.

I think this team plays differently with Demko back there.  Maybe im nuts...

I thought about this too..they play less careful and risky when they're in front of Demmer..

• ThereItIs 1

I've thought about this and I think I know what happened. 

The NHL broke Petey. 

Over the all star break, I'm sure a memo went out on Petey diving. 

If you watch the games after all start break, you'll notice a drastic difference where calls that used to be made that drew penalties were ignored. 

There's a lateral shift move that Petey does where he can usually get by a player but the player either has a choice to completely whiff or get a piece of Petey's legs. Petey goes down quite easy when he gets clipped on that play and he used to draw a lot of penalties. Those calls stopped happening after all start weekend. 

In fact, more heinous penalties are now getting ignored where he's grabbed and tackled or crosschecked. 

Case in point is that Nashville play where he got hit after their goal celebration. Case in point is the Nurse boarding / hit from behind. 

The NHL is letting everything go on Petey, some of which are borderline dangerous. 

He is 25, skinny and used to succeed with skill and drawing penalties but is now finding out that the NHL is going to let everything go on him. 

To be honest, he's playing scared. That's why he doesn't accelerate through the blue line with the puck like he used to. He slows down and chips it off the wall and let his line mates go after it. 

He doesn't hold the puck to try beating his guy because he's worried he'll turn the puck over because if he doesn't beat the guy cleanly, the refs won't make a call if the guy trips/tackles him and he'll look like the guy that cost his team the game. 

The only way out is for him to continue playing his game. 

If the refs start calling it again, great but if the refs continue to ignore the penalties, let the organization deal with it. He shouldn't change his game to an ultra safe no skilled dump and chase player. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Do those other times correlate with injury too? My guess is yes. Great players like him just don't forget how to play night in and out. Do you recall how strong he was on his skates and playing to finish last year and start this year? 

not that we heard of, no. so unless hes had a run of secret injuries that we haven't heard about, this is just him not playing well. 

which again, happens. its not unheard of. 

but hes also like 175 pounds, which is incredibly light for his height. QH is heavier and is 5 inches shorter. 

i dont ever remember him being particularly strong on his skates, but he did play very well to finish off last year, and earlier this year. Part of that was he had kuzmenko on his wing who was a serious threat with the puck, who was also really good at keeping possession. that took a lot of heat away from petey, so he had more space. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I've thought about this and I think I know what happened. 

The NHL broke Petey. 

Over the all star break, I'm sure a memo went out on Petey diving. 

If you watch the games after all start break, you'll notice a drastic difference where calls that used to be made that drew penalties were ignored. 

There's a lateral shift move that Petey does where he can usually get by a player but the player either has a choice to completely whiff or get a piece of Petey's legs. Petey goes down quite easy when he gets clipped on that play and he used to draw a lot of penalties. Those calls stopped happening after all start weekend. 

In fact, more heinous penalties are now getting ignored where he's grabbed and tackled or crosschecked. 

Case in point is that Nashville play where he got hit after their goal celebration. Case in point is the Nurse boarding / hit from behind. 

The NHL is letting everything go on Petey, some of which are borderline dangerous. 

He is 25, skinny and used to succeed with skill and drawing penalties but is now finding out that the NHL is going to let everything go on him. 

To be honest, he's playing scared. That's why he doesn't accelerate through the blue line with the puck like he used to. He slows down and chips it off the wall and let his line mates go after it. 

He doesn't hold the puck to try beating his guy because he's worried he'll turn the puck over because if he doesn't beat the guy cleanly, the refs won't make a call if the guy trips/tackles him and he'll look like the guy that cost his team the game. 

The only way out is for him to continue playing his game. 

If the refs start calling it again, great but if the refs continue to ignore the penalties, let the organization deal with it. He shouldn't change his game to an ultra safe no skilled dump and chase player. 

i believe this is a very real possibility yeah. 

the solution is putting on 20 pounds of muscle during the offseason. if hes ever going to be able to play playoff hockey, hes going to have to figure out how to play while getting abused without getting a call

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fuck it. Just go all in. We are at home. I want to embarrass these bastards. 

Suter           Miller              Boeser 

Höglander  Pettersson      Lekkerimäki

Joshua.       Lindholm        Garland 

Åman          Blueger           Mikheyev 

Just let the Swedes play together.  Åman is good on the penalty kill. So I would take Lafferty and Karlsson out. 

Let’s gooooooo!!!!!

Don't think Lekkerimäki is on the roster and, if not, is ineligible to play in the playoffs.  Having said, I'm happy to be proven wrong !

EP playing like he is afraid to get hit and afraid to make a mistake. Both of these combined together are likely causing his confidence issue. Just like someone learning how to box, Until you take a couple to the head and lose a few you are likely not going to win a few

Just for shits and giggles I would probably run

Lekk-EP-Podz for 3rd line (clearly Lindholm line second if not first line now)

Hog-Blu-Mik for 4th. 
‘Hogs scored better on 4th anyway. Problem is who will kill penalties. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i believe this is a very real possibility yeah. 

the solution is putting on 20 pounds of muscle during the offseason. if hes ever going to be able to play playoff hockey, hes going to have to figure out how to play while getting abused without getting a call

Yeah that's exactly it. 

The side shuffle he used to do where he gets clipped and goes down easy is something any other star player would be able to skate through and stay up. 

Petey doesn't go down intentionally to draw penalties. He legitimately falls down except the NHL isn't calling it because they know a McKinnon or Mcdavid can easily skate through some of that stuff.  Like a different star player would exaggerate a trip where they would wobble making the world know he got hit in the skates but they would stay on their feet and keep control of the puck. They would throw in a dive every now and then when they absolutely need a power play. 

Its an unfortunate situation for Petey. He doesn't have the strength or balance to stay on his feet. He probably shouldn't have ended up on the divers list but he did and it's totally wrecked his game. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1