[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

Posted (edited)

Maybe we need to take a page out of Edmontons playbook and top load our lines.

Suter Miller Boeser (if it ain't broke..)

Pettersson Lindholm Karlsson (I like Karlys board play)

Joshua Blueger Garland (OG 3rd line)

Lafferty Aman Hoglander (under 10 min)

Sit Mik/PDG

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zadorov Juulsen

Sit Cole

King Arty

DeSmith

(I wonder if Demmer is nearing return)

Edited by Breadnbutta
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Mordekai said:

I am frustrated with Hronek. $6mil plus player 50pt defencemen but man he has to start to generate some offence. What happened to his 100mph bomb?????? Stop trying to make slap passes that hasn’t converted once this playoff.

like to see petey with hog and podz or hog and karlsson. No more Mikey if you want him to get going.

Fair enough. Hronek has not been good offensively or defensively for quite some time. He's only paid $4.4m, not $6m+.

IMO Podz has done nothing to earn a spot in the top 9. Perhaps worth trying him as a Lafferty replacement to see if he can establish a better forecheck, but realistically we are talking 7 mins TOI so unlikely to have a big impact.

It's hard for Petey playing with plugs, the Oilers put all their focus onto him and don't need to worry about his linemates. Hoglander has been incredibly disappointing these playoffs, I don't know what happened to his game but need to get him going too. You know he had 25 ES goals in the regular season (Petey only had 21 ES goals) so getting Hogs scoring is also critical. Hopefully sitting him out has lit a fire under his ass. I'd like to see Tocc try a Petey-Lindholm-Hoglander line from time to time in-game, and throw Joshua-Blueger-Garland back together when that happens (Mikheyev can drop to the 4th line with Aman and Lafferty).

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Headscratcher why Tocc put Lafferty with Petey. Pettersson's best shifts were when he was reunited with Karlsson in the 3rd

LK had a heck of a game

Yes spot on.

Third man on the line was Bluger (may have been by accident), but they suddenly played hockey and created...

The first two periods it was all defending. 

Tocchet will have to change that line,if he wants to progress, as Lafferty, Mika and Petey are like total strangers on that line. 

Can I just add, I have not been on Mikas case prior to this game, but to totally not engage and at least hit, when the opportunity arose, I don't get... maybe he is playing hurt. 

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Fair enough. Hronek has not been good offensively or defensively for quite some time. He's only paid $4.4m, not $6m+.

IMO Podz has done nothing to earn a spot in the top 9. Perhaps worth trying him as a Lafferty replacement to see if he can establish a better forecheck, but realistically we are talking 7 mins TOI so unlikely to have a big impact.

It's hard for Petey playing with plugs, the Oilers put all their focus onto him and don't need to worry about his linemates. Hoglander has been incredibly disappointing these playoffs, I don't know what happened to his game but need to get him going too. You know he had 25 ES goals in the regular season (Petey only had 21 ES goals) so getting Hogs scoring is also critical. Hopefully sitting him out has lit a fire under his ass. I'd like to see Tocc try a Petey-Lindholm-Hoglander line from time to time in-game, and throw Joshua-Blueger-Garland back together when that happens (Mikheyev can drop to the 4th line with Aman and Lafferty).

Or play Kalsson with Petey and Lindholm and Hogs on the 4th line, where he was the main contributor... 

Either way, changes are needed. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Maybe we need to take a page out of Edmontons playbook and top load our lines.

Suter Miller Boeser (if it ain't broke..)

Pettersson Lindholm Karlsson (I like Karlys board play)

Joshua Blueger Garland (OG 3rd line)

Lafferty Aman Hoglander (under 10 min)

Sit Mik/PDG

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zadorov Juulsen

Sit Cole

King Arty

DeSmith

(I wonder if Demmer is nearing return)

100%

4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

good for Tocchet. Call a spade a spade. You can’t have that many passengers if you’re seriously pursuing the Stanley Cup. Silovs probably wants the winner back, but he played outstanding tonight and was pretty much the only reason there was a shot at OT. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

I've never understood when people claim x player is his own toughest critic. How do you know that?

Are you new to watching the Canucks? 

Even during the slump under Green /BB the coaches were commenting how he was the hardest working player during practice trying to bust of the slump. 

Even this year when the team was rolling and he was a top 3 scorer in the NHL, there were post game interviews when he put up multiple points but was talking about how he had a bad game etc and he was picking apart certain plays where he could have been better. 

He gets very upset with himself and it shows sometimes. 

• Thanks 1

The Hockey Gods were playing with us mere mortals. Having fun at our dispense. 

Frustration........ Hopeful.......... Glee..........Disappointment........................

Some guys gotta start showing up. 'Nuff said.

2 outta 3? Very doable. 

Let's go Canucks!!!!!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Given the trend of their play, van is likely to lose this in 6

I actually see us win the next one... we can't play much worse, and the team has had a fabulous ability to bounce back after a defeat...

One thing stands out... despite being second best in this game, they still almost pulled a rabbit out of the hat, going 2-2 late in the 3rd. 

Time and time again they've shown their ability to score...

It would help if they got Petey going, but not sure how, except changing the lines, then maybe...

This game was a typical back against the wall performance. Oilers showed the hunger we did in game 3... 

Lets start to punish them again...

Hopefully Kane gets a game for his cross check.... if so see if Drywhatever is a as smart. Smash him at every opportunity...

McD is get, but it looks like its Dry that buries his chances. 

5 hours ago, zduck14 said:

Bullshit. The blade of his stick was above his shoulders which where the puck hits.... High Stick.

That said, I don't believe the Canucks deserved to win this game but for that not to be called along with Kane's slewfoot, it's a shitty way to lose after coming back like they did.

Could the bench not call a review on the play, if that was the case?

5 hours ago, -dlc- said:

They took one at home after getting a green light to do whatever.

Still almost blew it.

We'll get them on Thursday. They're whiny b's and that only carries you so far. They get excited when they have the upper hand but they also shrivel fairly easily. 

You swing Dry-whatever one on the chops with the cow bell Deb... that alone would almost earn you a statue next to the towel statue. 

5 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Yeah, any little respect I might have had for Perry is gone.

I may have to go find the biggest douche in the universe clip for this one.

Its in the same bracket as the Marchand v Sedin punches...

Will wait to see him off... 

5 hours ago, The Brock Star said:

I agree, but who do you switch him with? Suter-Miller-Boeser has been dynamite, as has Joshua-Lindholm-Garland. It’s tough to break either of those lines up for a chance of Petey getting going.

If they don't put him with Lindholm, at least put him with Bluger and Karlson or similar... he can play both wing and C in that scenario...

Why are so many of us losing our heads? Yeah we didn’t play well, Edmonton brought their very best last night, they played like they HAD to win. I want to see the Canucks play a game where they HAVE to win…and game 5, while not an elimination game, is pretty much a must win. I’m still confident in the team to respond. This is all part of the rollercoaster of the playoffs, can’t ever get too high or too low. Honestly it was will over skill from the Oilers in game 4, they simply wanted it more. I’m confident we’ll respond 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, AngryGoose said:

I dont know if it was passivity…EDM set up very aggressive in the O zone.  3 FWDs deep and D pinching.  Moved their feet.  Canucks couldnt break through that wall so to speak.   And when they did have possession alot of flubbed passes.  Probably their own worst enemy tonight.  Just gotta regroup and bounce back which theyve shown they can do.

That together with almost panic like play when they went on the PP...

Found that very disappointing...

• Cheers 1

I really liked what I heard from Rick Tocchet post-game. He called out 5-6 players as being passengers, specifically Elias Pettersson, said the team was outworked and outwilled, and too many guys just aren’t contributing enough to win playoff hockey games. Finally, a coach who doesn’t BS and doesn’t sugarcoat it. Let’s see how they respond 

• Cheers 1

I think it’s time the excuses stop for EP. Great players, which he is supposed to be, make their linemates better. Yeah sure another top 6 winger would be great, someone with a 30 goal range every year. Mats Sundin played with less than stellar wingers almost his entire career and he was a pretty solid playoff performer. If he’s injured, ok, but you’ve got to play better. This isn’t even close to good enough for how much money he makes. He so badly wanted to play for a winner? He’s a big reason why we’re not generating a ton of shots or offense. Be better, simple as that  

45 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Are you new to watching the Canucks? 

Even during the slump under Green /BB the coaches were commenting how he was the hardest working player during practice trying to bust of the slump. 

Even this year when the team was rolling and he was a top 3 scorer in the NHL, there were post game interviews when he put up multiple points but was talking about how he had a bad game etc and he was picking apart certain plays where he could have been better. 

He gets very upset with himself and it shows sometimes. 

Pettersson's practice habits must have changed because Tocchet just earlier this year said that Pettersson had to practice harder, mentioning he was trying to rest in practice so he'd be fresher for the games.

2 hours ago, bhoodlum said:

We lost that one fair and square. Learn from it and get ready for the next one. And come what may, I'm proud of what this team has accomplished this year. All Canucks are we!

Agree. No excuses for this loss, but still proud of the team making it this far.

Tocchet seemed visibly frustrated in his presser and explicitly called out some guys. Hopefully that lights a fire.

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Honestly if we were playing the Stars or the Avs, I'd be happy with how far we've come in 1 year.  The problem is losing this series to these loser Oilers and their stupid fans would suck.

Without sounding defeatist, we've already had season worth the trades etc. 

Winning the first round was massive and againngoing toe to toe with one of the favourites is no small feat.... 

Hopefully we can progress, but the easiness with which Oilers was going to do us over has been proven a myth... 4 games, all 1 goal games tells the story...

Lets do this...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Edmonton has largely driven the play outside of game 1.  McDavid and Drai are seemingly in the Vancouver zone every time they are on the ice in the last 3 games. Silovs is playing so well (and has all playoffs) in giving them a chance to win.  Need more players to step up.  Lets ride.  

-Guadeloupe Jones 

Edited by Guadeloupe Jones