[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

If player safety is going to follow the rules they laid out at least we won't have to see kane and his stupid face for a game. Not that I think that he will get anything more then a fine at most.

7 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He’s got three games potentially left. He’s running out of time. I am not sure he understands this.

He's got 2-17 games potentially left ... Hope he gets going.   Mikheyev is probably the most frustrating player since LE, you can see the skill, just shoots muffins into the goalies chest, no matter how many slot or high danger shots he gets. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bhoodlum said:

We lost that one fair and square. Learn from it and get ready for the next one. And come what may, I'm proud of what this team has accomplished this year. All Canucks are we!

If we had a poll, before the season started, and it said the  Canucks will win their division with 109 points,  win a hard fought first round series, and play at least six games in the second round,  against the Oilers, where do you think most fans would vote?

1. Pissed

2. Meh

3. Content 

4. Very happy

5. Giddy with Glee 

Canucks have already passed the threshold of a satisfactory season, making the playoffs would have managed that.    Also there is no logical reason we can't add to this story too.   Third round is absolutely attainable. 

Edited by IBatch

Tocchets comments are fair and hopefully it lights a fire under some of these guys asses for next game but I’m not so sure because it’s been a loooong time since we’ve seen the best from some of these guys. Heck, even JT Miller was pretty average last night. 

I’m not gonna dump on Petey because we all know he’s struggling but just because he’s signed that contract doesn’t mean JR won’t find a way to move him this offseason if he doesn’t like what he’s seeing. His contract is fair value for what he’s done in the regular season and it’s not immovable…yet. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Fair enough. Hronek has not been good offensively or defensively for quite some time. He's only paid $4.4m, not $6m+.

IMO Podz has done nothing to earn a spot in the top 9. Perhaps worth trying him as a Lafferty replacement to see if he can establish a better forecheck, but realistically we are talking 7 mins TOI so unlikely to have a big impact.

It's hard for Petey playing with plugs, the Oilers put all their focus onto him and don't need to worry about his linemates. Hoglander has been incredibly disappointing these playoffs, I don't know what happened to his game but need to get him going too. You know he had 25 ES goals in the regular season (Petey only had 21 ES goals) so getting Hogs scoring is also critical. Hopefully sitting him out has lit a fire under his ass. I'd like to see Tocc try a Petey-Lindholm-Hoglander line from time to time in-game, and throw Joshua-Blueger-Garland back together when that happens (Mikheyev can drop to the 4th line with Aman and Lafferty).

Mikheyev is just as disappointing as EP.   The guys been set up a dozen times, sure the goalies square to the shooter most of those - he seems to like to aim right into the chest, doesn't make a move or a quick fake,  try and pick a corner. 

As for last nights game, Garland ... if every player had his fire and willingness,  we'd be waiting to see who we play next (Dallas).  

Missed our chance last night, to put it to the Oilers during that double minor.   Had a good third period.   That's the sort of intensity we will need to put the Oilers away.   Silovs ... feel we wasted a bit of an opportunity given how good he's been.    Oilers deserved the W last night.    Crushing that this team can be so resilient and make these late pushes and then throw them away.  

This is a good series,  lots of drama.   Got to put this one away, it's best of 3 now. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If we had a poll, before the season started, and it said the  Canucks will win their division with 109 points,  win a hard fought first round series, and play at least six games in the second round,  against the Oilers, where do you think most fans would vote?

1. Pissed

2. Meh

3. Content 

4. Very happy

5. Giddy with Glee 

Canucks have already passed the threshold of a satisfactory season, making the playoffs would have managed that.    Also there is no logical reason we can't add to this story too.   Third round is absolutely attainable. 

I agree. But for the moment , the Oilers look beatable. And trailed in the series. And are still beatable. We played our worst game and the Oilers couldn't put us away. They also had solid goal tending with Pickard. Now Pickard has to play on the road 

• Cheers 1

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Mikheyev - Lindholm - Suter

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

Hoglander - Aman - Karlsson

Take a page out of their book. If they're splitting their stars, load up ours and out-skill them. We'll tilt the ice when our top line is out there (get the matchups against their bottom 2 lines), then have Lindholm play against McDavid and Blueger against Draisaitl.

• Cheers 2

NHL wants their investment to win a Cup. They feel it's good for the brand. 

Canucks lost Game 2 because Tocchet said they respected their opponent too much. They just did the exact same thing. Oilers wanted it more, Canucks were chasing all game. The Oilers did the hitting. 

With a few players not doing much (Pettersson, Mikheyev, etc), and Hronek and Cole making costly mistakes, and the Oilers basically being able to do whatever the fuck they want out there - well...enjoy the last 2 games folks. Go Canucks Go.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Take a page out of their book. If they're splitting their stars, load up ours and out-skill them. We'll tilt the ice when our top line is out there (get the matchups against their bottom 2 lines), then have Lindholm play against McDavid and Blueger against Draisaitl.

Actually had the same thought.    With the last change, maybe start double shifting EP as an in game thing.    Once we have a two goal lead, then maybe adjust accordingly. 

Who would we play the Lotto line agaisnt?   Draisatl or McDavid?   Lindholm's line against the other ... and rely on Garland's line to do their magic.   

Do think we have a big advantage at home with last change, even if we keep things exactly how they are.     Lindholm/Garland have been really good and can manage either of those guys.   

In the end, the only guy that can get EP going is EP.    Not sure why Hogs's offense has dried up ... Mikheyev ... yikes.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

NHL wants their investment to win a Cup. They feel it's good for the brand. 

Canucks lost Game 2 because Tocchet said they respected their opponent too much. They just did the exact same thing. Oilers wanted it more, Canucks were chasing all game. The Oilers did the hitting. 

With a few players not doing much (Pettersson, Mikheyev, etc), and Hronek and Cole making costly mistakes, and the Oilers basically being able to do whatever the fuck they want out there - well...enjoy the last 2 games folks. Go Canucks Go.

I just don’t buy this. The NHL is not as star driven a league as the NBA. 
The league would be much more ecstatic with a NYR-Dallas final than anything else currently available. Two huge media markets, NY vs Texas. It is their dream. 
They would like McDavid to go as far as possible sure but they would much rather see Dallas in the finals than Edmonton 

Edited by DrJockitch

8 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Just saw the replay of the winner. That definitely looked like a high stick to knock down the puck. Canuck luck!

I like how the current TSN highlight skips past that point.

Still, not enough of the Canucks had the will to win this one.

8 hours ago, Plsdontdoit said:

Petey gonna get ridicule so bad in the off-season and it sucks but it's gonna happen if nothing changes 

You mean like this?

The-Hunt-for-Red-October-film-images-d457ab9d-68d4-4487-99b6-1f41143b46e-3298680852.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I would put Gar on the first line. Petey has done nothing to make me think he will get going. Garland deserves it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

1. Pissed

2. Meh

3. Content 

4. Very happy

5. Giddy with Glee 

I'm absolutely happy with this season already.  What I don't want is to lose to these whiny and childish Oilers.  If we were playing against Dallas or the Avs right now, I don't think I'd be as angry lol

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Cole again.. 

1st goal against us. Cole was on the ice. Drifts forward and leaves Draisaitl wide open for the shot. 

Again whenever Cole gains possession, all his passes are to the Oilers. 

Our powerplay sucks though. Half the time we have trouble gaining entry into the zone, while the Oilers scores almost every powerplay. If we are so bad at it why aren't we practicing it every week, gaining entry into the zone with powerplay lol. 

Where do all these negative turncoat posters come from after a bad loss? They be like " The only reason we won the last game was we scored more goals then they did" "Boeser didn't block a shot, Hughes only has a point per game, Silovs let a goal in...we suck, fire the coach"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

We really better find out Petterson is hurt.  I don’t think he has won a puck battle all playoffs, he hardly even goes in and tries.  He is too competitive to have just wilted in the last 30 games.

As much as Silovs has been a great story, his play is also feeding into Edmonton’s strengths.  Clark has him trying to stay simple and risk free, you see him freeze a lot of pucks when not even under pressure.  That equals another offensive zone faceoff for the McDavid line each time.  With Demko that puck is transitioned out of the zone for us to get chances and possession time.

The only heartening thing is that we haven’t played anywhere close to our best and are tied 2-2 in the 2nd round.  We have another couple of gears still.  A lot of one goal games, even an average Petterson means many of those turn into wins.

I don’t know who all the passengers Tocchet was referring to, Petterson, Hronek, and Mikheyev for sure… some

of the other guys weren’t effective but they seemed to be trying.

The playoff stars so far who have absolutely not been passengers are: Miller, Boeser, Garland, Zadorov, Lindholm, and Hughes.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, hockeyville88 said:

I wish Petey was as hard on himself and expected as much from himself as Miller does

I'm sure, he is... he just doesn't show it in the same way...

I love Miller wears his heart on his sleeve...

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm absolutely happy with this season already.  What I don't want is to lose to these whiny and childish Oilers.  If we were playing against Dallas or the Avs right now, I don't think I'd be as angry lol

Same. With the way the series has gone so far I am confident we can beat this cup or bust team. We just need a few guys to show up and play to their potential. Heck even just one or two guys would be nice.

The game is so close. We just need one goal from those '5-6 guys'. 

3 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Where do all these negative turncoat posters come from after a bad loss? They be like " The only reason we won the last game was we scored more goals then they did" "Boeser didn't block a shot, Hughes only has a point per game, Silovs let a goal in...we suck, fire the coach"

It’s not raining so they come out from under their bridges. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Is it Petey's linemates' fault that he constantly loses the puck and falls 3-4 times a shift? Just curious.

Canucks had a chance to put a stranglehold on the Oilers in this series with that 4-minute PP. They completely blew it. Thank God for Silovs in this game, could've been a blowout.

Edited by Nucker67
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1