[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

I am glad Rick brought up that 5-6 guys are being passengers. Without thinking too much I would go with:

1. Petey

2. Hronek

3. Hoglander

4. Mikheyev 

5. Lafferty 

Guys need to step it up next game. Game 5 has become a must win at this point.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I want to see a fired up hogs in game 6. Hogs and bluegs would do pretty well on the 4th together. Aman/karlsson did fine for one game but prefer to see hogs and another in (why not raty?). 

I don’t understand why raty hasn’t been given a chance he was arguably Abby’s best player before the playoffs 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He's got 2-17 games potentially left ... Hope he gets going.   Mikheyev is probably the most frustrating player since LE, you can see the skill, just shoots muffins into the goalies chest, no matter how many slot or high danger shots he gets. 

I would rather Mikheyev shoot it wide trying to pick a corner. I have never seen a NHLer shoot it into the crest as much as he does.

Generally, the Canucks deserved the loss and hopefully they use it as  alearning experience and motivation to win game 5 at home. I'm not overly worried but it was a missed opportunity to at least get to overtime. You can't play 'you're game' for 15 mins and expect to win. The disappointing thing is they stopped playing after tying it. They thought OT was automatic and learned a valuable lesson. Hopefully. I'd also add that the Oilers win did not come at enough of a cost for them. The Canucks let them off the hook.

People quick to board the Oilers' bandwagon and proclaim them as the greatest really do our team a disservice. And forget how they can unravel.

The fact that they let us back in the game speaks volumes. And that they do rely on 2 guys heavily also is a clue. Those guys getting pretty preferential treatment from the league. We missed Soucy, no denying that.

And the way Kane was running around at first is really swagger that comes knowing your team has an upper hand in how things are being "addressed". Or not. I am glad that both he and Nurse got penalties...at least they are being watched to some degree. Dirty POS both of them.But...doesn't matter when you get a 4 minute pp and don't score. Huge opportunity to take charge...wasted.

No excuses though...the boys came out quite tentative/reserved in a game that really needed more from them. I do love the never say die part though, that's encouraging.

One goal, that's by no means a blowout. 

Those who say it was Silovs keeping us in it and it could've been much worse. Well there are 2 guys keeping Edmonton in it so it all evens out. Take them out and we roll over that team easily.

Let's go Canucks...finish them off. They're way too cocky and their pundits are annoying af.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Is it Petey's linemates' fault that he constantly loses the puck and falls 3-4 times a shift? Just curious.

Canucks had a chance to put a stranglehold on the Oilers in this series with that 4-minute PP. They completely blew it. Thank God for Silovs in this game, could've been 6-0.

Petey is obviously playing with an injury. Jeff Merek referred to that on 650 this morning. Petey is showing great leadership and character playing while injury is keeping him from being his best. He’s a great competitor and we are fortunate to have him. 
What’s wrong with McWhiner Baby? He looks soft and is not producing. He’s a minus on a lot of our goals too. Should the Coilers dumperoo the Baby Whiner? 

• Confused 1

I would be so tempted to scratch Petey for game 5, but then you have to replace him on the powerplay. I'm not sure what his ailment is, but maybe a bit of rest could help him.

6 hours ago, DSVII said:

I think this is the case too but it begs the question why we still kept playing Petey instead of resting him when we clinched the division in the regular season.

Tocc has said publicly that Petey is not injured. He has also said that Petey needs to contribute more. He is also playing him 20min a game.

All things you wouldn't say or do if he was injured....

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is obviously playing with an injury. Jeff Merek referred to that on 650 this morning. Petey is showing great leadership and character playing while injury is keeping him from being his best. He’s a great competitor and we are fortunate to have him. 
What’s wrong with McWhiner Baby? He looks soft and is not producing. He’s a minus on a lot of our goals too. Should the Coilers dumperoo the Baby Whiner? 

I think they should and get defence and goalie they’d be scarier team. Draisytl is enough 

The messed up part about people's complaints is that they're frustrated with Mik and Hogs for not burying any of the several chances they're getting. But those chances are all coming off Petey set ups. If the wingers bury even half of their chances, Petey would easily have another 5 or 6 points by now and only a handful of "fans" would be complaining about him.

Having said that, he absolutely needs to step it up a bit, especially on the PP. For 5 on 5 though, I'd like to see:

Petey-Miller-Boeser

Garland-Lindholm-Dak

Mik-Blueger-Karlsson

Hogs-Suter-Podz

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If that's the case, then it looks like several Canucks are playing with "injuries", except the guys that were actually assaulted with sticks to the face, like Hughes, Myers and Joshua. They keep showing up and playing hard. I don't buy the injury idea. Petey's been bad for months. Looking more and more like Kotkaniemi out there. 

I will be thrilled if Petey figures it out next game. They need him now more than ever, so we'll see how he responds.

"If you're not with us you're against us"

I feel that quite a few sneak in who fall under that category. 

Sure, it's ok to have 9 favourite teams, Canucks being one of them. But it's also important to remember where we are ... the forum title reminds you.

We don't have to be sunshine and lollipops but we also don't have to trash a team that's really given us good reason to get behind them. Yes, sometimes they lose and the other team performs better. But it's not how you win or lose, it's that you do. And last time I checked, the series is tied at 2-2 coming back home.

This deal isn't as easy as it looks and not many teams just steamroll through it. Edmonton's a good example of how they're barely squeaking wins out, despite all their flash and dash that grabs people's attention. 

We are all Canucks and, if not, don't bother.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

The messed up part about people's complaints is that they're frustrated with Mik and Hogs for not burying any of the several chances they're getting. But those chances are all coming off Petey set ups. If the wingers bury even half of their chances, Petey would easily have another 5 or 6 points by now and only a handful of "fans" would be complaining about him.

Having said that, he absolutely needs to step it up a bit, especially on the PP. For 5 on 5 though, I'd like to see:

Petey-Miller-Boeser

Garland-Lindholm-Dak

Mik-Blueger-Karlsson

Hogs-Suter-Podz

Thing is though, he needs to score not just set up others to score.

Love Petey, but it's time for him to hit the scoresheet. I do see improvement in his shots...just needs to up the volume a bit.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Petey-Miller-Boeser

Garland-Lindholm-Dak

Mik-Blueger-Karlsson

Hogs-Suter-Podz

And not only would he have another 5-6 points, but the D would have top focus mainly on him...

• Cheers 1

Just when he looks like he's doing his thing, he virtually vanishes. Unfortunate time of time to be happening.

He's not the only one. Quinn's not himself and neither is JT. The thing is, they all know it and say it openly, which 

begs one to ask; Has Tocchet lost the room to some degree? Just wondering...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is though, he needs to score not just set up others to score.

Love Petey, but it's time for him to hit the scoresheet. I do see improvement in his shots...just needs to up the volume a bit.

Oh I agree. I'm not completely letting him off the hook. I just don't think he's been as bad overall as a lot of people do right now. He absolutely needs to shoot more though. Just 13 shots through 10 games in the playoffs isn't close to enough for someone with his talent and shooting ability. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JamesB said:

This loss hurts, especially after tying the game late made it seem like destiny was on our side.  Here are my take-aways.

1. Did the Soucy suspension make the difference in this game? Maybe. Juulsen played pretty well but he made a crucial mistake on the second Edmonton goal, going for the big hit on Ekholm and giving Edmonton a 3-on-1 break. Myers was the one back and played it well, but there is no way to stop Edmonton from getting a grade A chance and RNH went post and in.

2. Overall, I was more concerned about Cole than about Juulsen. Edmonton's first PP (and first goal) came after Cole had two chances to clear the D-zone and fumbled the puck both times, leading to a Miller high stick on Draisaitl in a puck battle.  If Cole makes a routine clear that penalty never happens. Then, on the PK, Cole over-pursued McDavid in the middle of ice, leaving Draistaitl open with too much time and space. Cole had very poor "advanced stats". At 5-on-5, scoring chances were 9-2 against with him on the ice, and he did not have particularly tough minutes (about average). Juulsen's advanced stats were better. And Juulsen had 6 hits to 2 for Cole. Next game, I would play Juulsen and rest Cole. 

3. Silovs continues to play well. Losing Demmer really has not hurt the team, unless Demmer could have stolen game 2 or game 4 against the Oilers (which is possible).

4. The biggest problem was that the offence was just flat for the first two periods. At 5-on-5 in the first two periods the Canucks had a grand total zero high danger chances. That is pretty hard to do. They had a few decent chances but not much. In fairness, Edmonton was playing with desperation and playing well. But the Canucks were making Pickard look good instead of testing him.

5. The Canucks were the better team in the third period by at least a small margin and it was great to see those two goals go in to tie the game before the late Edmonton winning goal. Overall, Edmonton won the all-strength expected goals battle 3.22 to 1.57, so Edmonton was the better team.

6. As for individuals, Garland scored a very nice goal after a high-skill tip pass from Lindy. And those guys played well overall (with Joshua) lining up mainly against the McDavid line and holding them off the scoresheet at 5-on-5.  And Joshua got the tip-in for the tieing goal on a shot by Boeser.

7. The "advanced stat" champ, again, was Hughes. Hard to believe in a game where the Canucks were outplayed that Hughes tilted the ice in the Canucks direction. But he did. Scoring chances were 11 - 3 in favor when Hughes was on the ice at 5-on-5, and that is despite logging plenty of time against McDavid and Draisaitl.  Hughes of course led the team in expected goal differential and was the only D to have a positive differential. Hughes is having a great playoff despite being banged up.

8. The Miller line was pretty good and matched up mainly against Draisaitl (although it was not a firm match).  But they could not generate much in the way of high danger chances. 

8. Not sure what to say about Petey. His advanced stats were not bad and he was playing mainly with Lafferty and Mik, neither of whom can do much offensively. But we need more from Petey. Not sure if the issue is confidence, linemates, lingering injury, or something else.  I don't think dropping Hoggy from his line has accomplished anything. Tocchet was obviously unhappy about Petey's game and I am guessing that Mik is also on his list of "passengers". And I don't see what Lafferty or Karlsson or Aman have done to justify staying in the lineup. But it is not like the Canucks have a lot of options, although I do expect to see Hoggy back in the lineup.

9. But the series is now a best-of-three and the Canucks have home-ice advantage. And getting Soucy back will help. Obviously the series could go either way but I am optimistic. I hope that coming home energizes the team, because they need a higher energy start than they had tonight.

Whatever it is with Petey, I hope the coaches or Tocchet has a couple of quiet words with him, what, if anything, is bothering him...

I really wonder if it something outside hockey that has gotten to him...

It isn't that long ago we had another hugely talented guy on this team, who hit rock bottom....

PS. As always on point James. cheers

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

@Moeknows

At least I hope he does...

Do you not think he cares as much as Miller? Honest question?

Honestly....from just his demeanor it doesn't appear so, I don't believe he has that level of intensity....but as u say speculation annd opinion, but maybe the results we're seeing are some indication?

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

What the hell was this and why no call?

Perry is such a dillweed.  Announcer said something like, 'imagine trying to look at that for any length of time' or somesuch.

Seems open for a testicle-octomy..  ok, I'll google .. wide open for an orchiectomy.

What is an orchiectomy?

An orchiectomy (or orchidectomy) is a surgical procedure to remove one or both testicles.

(If he still has any.)

Testicles are two (very) small organs that (should) hang in a sac of skin below your (his) penis.

Testicles (or testes) make sperm and male hormones like testosterone/and Perry likes male hormones, all weird-ass pussies do.

• Haha 1