[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

No way. Best coach in the league. 

It's just that some of the decisions of late, have seemed a little odd to me, like benching Hoglander because of one or two slightly off games.

That happens to everyone. Am I the only one that notices a few top players down a bit of late. 

I'm not starting a witch hunt here, just trying to figure out why certain things aren't working like they were and I don't want to hear (well the Oilers are such a good team )

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just when he looks like he's doing his thing, he virtually vanishes. Unfortunate time of time to be happening.

He's not the only one. Quinn's not himself and neither is JT. The thing is, they all know it and say it openly, which 

begs one to ask; Has Tocchet lost the room to some degree? Just wondering...

Lost the room? No.

He’s trying to state the obvious fact that winning in the playoffs let alone a cup is really fuckin hard and takes a tremendous amount of sacrifice and mental fortitude from each and every player every single game. The vibe I’m getting from some of these players is that they appear tired and struggling to bring it consistently when having to play every other night. Well guess what? It’s the goddamn playoffs and you only get so many opportunities in your career to try and win a cup. If some of these so called passengers don’t show any signs of improvement the next two games than the writing is on the wall for them if they lose this series. 

thank god we have a management group who aren’t afraid to make trades and tough decisions 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Rush said:

Kane nearly slashed him in the face after taking him down.

Nearly?  I thought he got him. 

I'll have to have another look.

Reminds me of the T-Shirt:

I'm not a gynecologist.

But, I'll have a look.

point 1: we looked like we were playing tentative, almost afraid to take a penalty from hard play. We allowed them too much space.

( did the league tell the team to knock it off with the rough stuff to allow their 'golden investment' to play HIS game ? )

point 2: that 'high stick' on the game winning goal would have had to be reviewed in Toronto.. need I say more?

the fans in the rink would have rioted had that goal been called off. I firmly believe that had that happened in Vancity they would have at least reviewed it. must placate the home crowd.

point3: our hustle level HAS to increase. We allowed Picart to have an easy night to get used to the playoffs. We should have been in his face peppering him with 30+ shots. 

point4: unless Demko is definitely at 100% we ride Silovs. He hasn't had a bad game yet. you have a hard time stopping what you can't see. 

point5: the refs were.....ok last night. personally I think they let way too much after the whistle stuff go unpunished, but that's play off hockey, right?

point6: whoever wins on Thursday takes the series. plain and simple. neither team has lost 2 in a row. 

point7-bonus round: if the oilers beat us, sic, they'll get destroyed by Dallas in 5 or less.

if WE win this series, I feel that we could take Dallas to 6 or more likely 7. not saying that we'd win, but we'd give them a good run for their money. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

The messed up part about people's complaints is that they're frustrated with Mik and Hogs for not burying any of the several chances they're getting. But those chances are all coming off Petey set ups. If the wingers bury even half of their chances, Petey would easily have another 5 or 6 points by now and only a handful of "fans" would be complaining about him.

Having said that, he absolutely needs to step it up a bit, especially on the PP. For 5 on 5 though, I'd like to see:

Petey-Miller-Boeser

Garland-Lindholm-Dak

Mik-Blueger-Karlsson

Hogs-Suter-Podz

Coach seems reluctant to go 649 and I don't know why. It's not like it has to be every game, but when needed, that line has always looked dangerous..

1 minute ago, Moeknows said:

Honestly....from just his demeanor it doesn't appear so, I don't believe he has that level of intensity....but as u say speculation annd opinion, but maybe the results we're seeing are some indication?

Yeah you may be right, But I think he is hurting badly inside...

Nobody who plays a game like Petey will be unmoved by suddenly not being able to do, what he normally does...

Time will tell... 

Personally I think there is something outside hockey that is influencing his play... not sure what...(could be injury)... Or maybe he drank out of the same bottle as Mika....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Nobody who plays a game like Petey will be unmoved by suddenly not being able to do, what he normally does...

Time will tell... 

Personally I think there is something outside hockey that is influencing his play... not sure what...(could be injury)... Or maybe he drank out of the same bottle as Mika....

There was an article in the past that stated he has an injury.   This is not the competive Petty from the past.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Lost the room? No.

He’s trying to state the obvious fact that winning in the playoffs let alone a cup is really fuckin hard and takes a tremendous amount of sacrifice and mental fortitude from each and every player every single game. The vibe I’m getting from some of these players is that they appear tired and struggling to bring it consistently when having to play every other night. Well guess what? It’s the goddamn playoffs and you only get so many opportunities in your career to try and win a cup. If some of these so called passengers don’t show any signs of improvement the next two games than the writing is on the wall for them if they lose this series. 

thank god we have a management group who aren’t afraid to make trades and tough decisions 

You're probably right but it's frustrating to see our players struggle vs the GD oilers, who are built on just a few players.

7 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Yep, that's it. He should have realized that with the money he was demanding, he ought to be one of the primary reasons his team wins.

The sad part is - I'd say some guys are carrying their weight and more. The outlook would be so much brighter if only he could carry his.

Ok, firstly Peteys agent asks for a sum... Nobody held a gun to JRs or Allvins head to sign him at that number.

Secondly, Petey didn't want to talk contract until the off season

Thirdly, Petey is not getting paid $11,6M for what he does just now... He is being paid that now, because he signed a long term contract at the age of 25 before he enters his prime, so the Canucks can keep him through, what will hopefully be the 8 best years of his career...

Canucks could have offered a 2-3 year deal at lesser AVV and hoped he would not go elsewhere, should he continue to improve... Its a gamble, just like signing Joshua to a short contract and now wondering if we can keep him...

Finally, do we know, if he just plain suck, or perhaps has other things are going on in his life, injuries or the likes? Its not that long ago one of our other stars went through a traumatic time, and 50% wanted him traded for a bag of pucks...

You've seem to be having it in for Petey for sometime now... . 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

point 1: we looked like we were playing tentative, almost afraid to take a penalty from hard play. We allowed them too much space.

( did the league tell the team to knock it off with the rough stuff to allow their 'golden investment' to play HIS game ? )

point 2: that 'high stick' on the game winning goal would have had to be reviewed in Toronto.. need I say more?

the fans in the rink would have rioted had that goal been called off. I firmly believe that had that happened in Vancity they would have at least reviewed it. must placate the home crowd.

point3: our hustle level HAS to increase. We allowed Picart to have an easy night to get used to the playoffs. We should have been in his face peppering him with 30+ shots. 

point4: unless Demko is definitely at 100% we ride Silovs. He hasn't had a bad game yet. you have a hard time stopping what you can't see. 

point5: the refs were.....ok last night. personally I think they let way too much after the whistle stuff go unpunished, but that's play off hockey, right?

point6: whoever wins on Thursday takes the series. plain and simple. neither team has lost 2 in a row. 

point7-bonus round: if the oilers beat us, sic, they'll get destroyed by Dallas in 5 or less.

if WE win this series, I feel that we could take Dallas to 6 or more likely 7. not saying that we'd win, but we'd give them a good run for their money. 

I definitely think the fear of taking a penalty is part of the passive style, and with good reason.  Still, they have to find a way to the puck, keep the puck and attack 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is though, he needs to score not just set up others to score.

Love Petey, but it's time for him to hit the scoresheet. I do see improvement in his shots...just needs to up the volume a bit.

Yes agreed. As everyone on PTS I always choose Canucks win with Petey the winner. I’ve been a huge supporter of him but I must admit he looks lost at times, I cringe when I see him open on the pp and if the puck is moved to him I get nervous 😂 board battles he normally is a 70/30 type but lately he is on the ground. 

Anyways, still when it comes to our TEAM and play to our strengths we will win this series probably in 7. I think in game 5 Coach Tocchet puts a solid game plan in place and we blow the roof off finally at home with a 6-1 win, Miller 2 goals 2 assists for you @-dlc-

Go Canucks Go! :towel:

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

You're probably right but it's frustrating to see our players struggle vs the GD oilers, who are built on just a few players.

True but to be fair the Oilers top players are two of the top 5 players in the world who can single handily dominate a game on any given night.

33 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Canucks management really should've auditioned playoff Petey before handing him close to a hundred million dollars.

^ THIS!!!!

I’m sure if we had waited it would be closer to 10M not over 11M. I’m glad we got to see what Hronek can bring to the table before dishing out a contract for him too. 

At this point guys that I wouldn’t mind losing for one reason or another:

Hronek, Cole, Desmith, Lafferty, Friedman

Guys we need to sign start with Zadorav, Lindholm, Joshua.

Lindholm has become a priority after seeing Petey falter. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Yah, well, your mother wears army boots too, boy.

While Dak should be praised for taking one for the team, and just letting it go, hoping for a power play;

I think that was the wrong way to play this.

I think he should have gone full Tyson on 'Darn It!  I'm pregnant again' which is what his mom said when she found out.

(Yeah, I'm talkin' 'bout yo mama Darn It.) 

Go low; pull his hands down and uppercut the jaw.voQn1L.gif

Channel your inner Ryp37:

We should be fed up with putting up with crap antics like Darn It and Kick 'n' Kane have been getting away with.

Even if you don't win the fight, you can get some shots, shots, shots in and in this case, take a big defenceman off with you.

• Upvote 1

My new lineup for Game 5:

A mix of going back to what got us to the big show, and also adding some more grit to the lineup.

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser (The size and power on this line can do a lot of damage.  No disrespect to Suter, but Podkolzin would be able to cause a lot more chaos.)

Karlsson-Lindholm-Pettersson (The Swedish Line.  Lindholm is clearly a beast in the playoffs.  Karlsson also looks to play a heavy game.  Let's get Petey going here folks.)

Garland-Blueger-Joshua (Bring this line back to life.  They are one of the biggest reasons why we got here in the first place.)

Mikheyev-Suter-Hoglander (Let this line feast on the weak competition.  I think Hogs will come alive again in a 4th line role.)

I honestly think that bottom 6 will light up the Oilers.  We need to take advantage of our depth.  Hoglander and Mikheyev are 20 goal scorers on our 4th line.  Let's go!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Conspiracy theory - How the NHL (refs) and DoPS impacted this series.

The NHL put fear into the Canucks by being one-sided with fines and suspensions. This forced the Canucks to play with extreme caution and the last thing they wanted was EDM to have PP time, so they tried to play well within the rules. A nice, clean game, allowing McDavid, Draisaitl and Kane to have a heyday.

Canucks need to get back to Tocchet hockey.

Edited by Nucker67
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Time will tell... 

Or, he has a personality issue with the coach, who doesn't seem to do well with highly skilled players 

Imagine being the top C and looking at the lineup and seeing the other C's get Garland, Joshua and Boeser and you get stuck with Mikhaev and an AHL black ace?  And then get crucified in the media for lack of production?

On top of that every pk you face loads up on your side to take you out of the pp and the coach makes zero adjustments to that pp to change that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

My new lineup for Game 5:

A mix of going back to what got us to the big show, and also adding some more grit to the lineup.

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser (The size and power on this line can do a lot of damage.  No disrespect to Suter, but Podkolzin would be able to cause a lot more chaos.)

Karlsson-Lindholm-Pettersson (The Swedish Line.  Lindholm is clearly a beast in the playoffs.  Karlsson also looks to play a heavy game.  Let's get Petey going here folks.)

Garland-Blueger-Joshua (Bring this line back to life.  They are one of the biggest reasons why we got here in the first place.)

Mikheyev-Suter-Hoglander (Let this line feast on the weak competition.  I think Hogs will come alive again in a 4th line role.)

I honestly think that bottom 6 will light up the Oilers.  We need to take advantage of our depth.  Hoglander and Mikheyev are 20 goal scorers on our 4th line.  Let's go!

Whatever it takes to get EP going.  It’s clear as day, EP can’t cut it with his current wingers.

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Relying on last minute heroics aren't always going to work.

We need to come out guns blazing, and NOT LET UP.

Yup.  Let them worry about how to stop JT FN Miller!

• Upvote 1