[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

1 hour ago, TheBearded1 said:

we lost because:

we can't score on a PP and an ill-timed hit

I've seen Juulson make those hits up near the blue line only to leave an odd man rush behind him that results in a goal. I can remember three, maybe four times this year.

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

Petey is struggling, and thats open to valid criticism.  That said he needs a change of scenery on his line, it aint working:

Petey needs to get his head out of his YOOHOO... He thinks he's going to pull goals from OVI style one timers... no. you have to be a complete Ovi to make those kinda points. 

I think he needs to go back to basics.  A change od scenerey is right... one where he has to be the main character to do all the work. 

3 minutes ago, MathIsFun said:

I've seen Juulson make those hits up near the blue line only to leave an odd man rush behind him that results in a goal. I can remember three, maybe four times this year.

That's why he has only 122 games in 6 seasons. He's got all the tools but missing the hockey smarts.

10 minutes ago, rychicken said:

a few? Those are rookie numbers!!

Relax Rye Chick, its a few new ones; my Ignore list is A Longie.

- G. Hamilton as Dracula in Love at First Bite:

With Dracula, it is never a quickie; always a Longie.  

454688-20;1589054322y;wm.jpg

This one always made me think of Roberto Luongo (or as Don Cherry used to call him Roberto LaGongo!

Cheers to @Bob Long too.

8 minutes ago, MathIsFun said:

I wouldn't want Juulsen to stop hitting because of it.  He will learn through experience when to go for the hit, and when not to.  Some coaching from Foote will help with that as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kind of annoyed they haven’t made the move sooner. Like it’s not working with that line.

We already know Blueger can play third line center and I’m sure Aman can handle fourth line.

Suter Miller Boeser

Pettersson Lindholm Podkolzin

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Aman Mikheyev

Dont complicate it.

yeah we need Hoglander on the 4th line.  That's where he feasts on weaker competition.  Stack up the top 2 lines and let the bottom 6 feast.  That's how we were so dominant earlier in the year.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

Not sure what is going on with EP but looks exactly like he did 2 years ago when he was having wrist issues. 
He is not handling the puck well, which usually looks like it is glued to his stick, he is not shooting and is not engaging as much. 
Having offensive black holes as wingers certainly doesn’t help. 
I was wondering at what point Tocch would move him between Dak and Garland to get him going, doesn’t look like going to happen though. I think the way Garland is playing he could kick EP into gear and having Dak the destroyer there can help create some room. 

Edited by DrJockitch

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure what is going on with EP but looks exactly like he did 2 years ago when he was having wrist issues. 

Could be but, we are talking as an all around player. A wrist issue would create such a weak player. A good player finds ways to succeed.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kind of annoyed they haven’t made the move sooner. Like it’s not working with that line.

We already know Blueger can play third line center and I’m sure Aman can handle fourth line.

Suter Miller Boeser

Pettersson Lindholm Podkolzin

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Aman Mikheyev

Dont complicate it.

I'd swap podz for Karlsson and Mik for Laff

Sit Mik and podz

I really like Karlssons board play. Him and Lindholm are gritty and can get Petey the puck

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

yeah we need Hoglander on the 4th line.  That's where he feasts on weaker competition.  Stack up the top 2 lines and let the bottom 6 feast.  That's how we were so dominant earlier in the year.

Yep.

Somewhere along the line they lost that. I get that defense is this teams strength but there’s a balance. We can’t just be hanging on every game and hoping we get one. We need to push the pace more offensively, and the lines currently constructed don’t do that.

I get that Tocchet thinks it’s about will more than anything, which is true to an extent. But roster construction does matter too. Asking Pettersson to produce with 4th liners by upping his will isn’t realistic. That’s where you need to have a good analytics team that gives you the numbers. It’s like no this line isn’t just not producing, they’re getting caved in in possession and offensive zone time too.

Next game is the perfect game to get Hoglander back in and mix up the second and third lines.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Anyone know why Bieksa was out of the panel tonight?

Probably couldn't put up with their crap for one more god-damned minute!

I would have loved to see him lean over and smash mealy-mouthed know-it-all Jelliot; that would be classic.

Kev put him in his place a couple games ago and Smelliot ran to the post-game crew and said, "No matter what Kevin says..."

Say it to his face you panderer.  (But No!  No FN way that's gonna happen.)

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

it would be a mistake not to put hogs back in ...stick him on the 4th line to take advantage of the oilers bottom line up as you say - those oiler third and fourth line guys look like they will never score.  I have a feeling we will see it now that Tocch has final change / home ice.  

Who comes out you think?  Im thinking ive seen enough of Lafferty  ..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Could be but, we are talking as an all around player. A wrist issue would create such a weak player. A good player finds ways to succeed.

Yet he is a great player. 
This is sport being played at it’s highest level, to dismiss injuries as something they can just play through is foolish. 
May all be in his head anyway. 
End of the day he is a fantastic player that is giving us nothing whatever the reason. 

• Haha 1

Hronek is lucky, that Petey, is struggling- and getting all the press.

#2 d man has been brutal, a bad second half of the season, and horrible in the play offs.

Demko injured, Hronek and Petey missing------ still made it to 2-2 in the second round.

Sadly, this could quickly turn into the 'what could have been' playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Hronek is lucky, that Petey, is struggling- and getting all the press.

Hronek was awful last night, bobbling pucks, late to checks, crap on PP.

• Upvote 1

Boston coach calls out Pastranak, Pasta scores OT round 1 clinching goal

Tocchet calls out Petey.....

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's exactly it.  I think majority of us would consider this season a great success even if we didn't make round 3.  I mean, think about it, we lost our Vezina calibre starting goaltender after 1 game these playoffs! 

The problem most of us have is if we lose to the damn Oilers.  I don't speak for everyone, but if we were playing Dallas or the Avs right now, I wouldn't be as upset if we lost this round.  It's just how much Oilers fans and media will gloat if they win this.

Absolutely a successful season, but a disappointing end of that's how it goes.  I hope the coaching staff sees that their approach isn't a sustainable way to win in the playoffs and make the necessary adjustments

I don’t understand the people saying they won’t pay 5-6 for Zadorov. He’s been our best defender the whole playoffs when the games actually matter. People have no problem paying Hronek 5-6 but what does he even bring? Zadorov is better at every facet of the game besides moving the puck. When’s the last time Hronek went end to end and sniped a goal? Our 6’6 monster does almost every game. He’s entering his prime. He should easily be our #2 ld behind Hughes next season.

Seriously, imagine the playoffs without us having Zadorov. We’d be destroyed. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

Somewhere along the line they lost that. I get that defense is this teams strength but there’s a balance. We can’t just be hanging on every game and hoping we get one. We need to push the pace more offensively, and the lines currently constructed don’t do that.

I get that Tocchet thinks it’s about will more than anything, which is true to an extent. But roster construction does matter too. Asking Pettersson to produce with 4th liners by upping his will isn’t realistic. That’s where you need to have a good analytics team that gives you the numbers. It’s like no this line isn’t just not producing, they’re getting caved in in possession and offensive zone time too.

Next game is the perfect game to get Hoglander back in and mix up the second and third lines.

Yeah you nailed it.  BALANCE.  A strong offence also keeps the puck out of our zone for longer periods of time as well.  There's more than one way to have a strong defensive game.  Clearly we know how to play in our own end defensively, so just let the offence do its thing and fall back into our defensive positioning when we need it.

6 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Wrist issue doesn't explain why the last few months Petey can't stay on his skates though.

Bottom line, he needs to get healthy. Get focused. And train on his timing, his shot, and more importantly his legs and core.

I seem to recall him just bouncing off hits and staying on his skates. In fact he didn't shy away from laying on the body himself. Much to fans horror.

There's more than just in his head, or just a wrist issue. He rarely even shoots, and looks to pass. And when he does shoot, he's off target.

My theory is he has a back or shoulder issue that's not bad enough to stop him playing, but it's enough he has no power, accuracy, or its nagging enough to effect him

so that he doesn't play on instinct anymore.

Next year. Its ok to vote Brock or Miller for the all star game. But don't send Demko, Petey, or Hughes no matter how dominant they are.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Darius said:

it would be a mistake not to put hogs back in ...stick him on the 4th line to take advantage of the oilers bottom line up as you say - those oiler third and fourth line guys look like they will never score.  I have a feeling we will see it now that Tocch has final change / home ice.  

Who comes out you think?  Im thinking ive seen enough of Lafferty  ..

That'd be the guy I'd take out.  If Suter goes back into a 4C role, then Aman would be out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Dumping all over one of the team's prime players in the middle of the playoffs?

No examination of the stats re. his wingers and his production?

I think a more positive analytical approach as to why he is having problems is a better idea.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Absolutely a successful season, but a disappointing end of that's how it goes.  I hope the coaching staff sees that their approach isn't a sustainable way to win in the playoffs and make the necessary adjustments

Yep.  As @DeNiro indicated above, we need a better balance of offence and defence.  We've become this defensive squad that doesn't push the offensive envelope unless we're trying to catchup in the last 5min of a game (and then we see what this team is capable of offensively...)

• Cheers 2